Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania


Final Four: Which team has the worst fans?  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

No doubt in my mind that Coach K has lost his fast ball on the sidelines.  He proved that in the tournament (especially in the MSU game, taking the ball out of Jones' hands and allowing MSU to load up 5 vs 2 on Zion and Barrett the entire 2nd half).

Can obviously still recruit, but I think he's run out of ideas from an X's and O's standpoint. When your plan for getting the ball to Zion is having Barrett (who sucked at throwing entry passes all year)  try to throw a lob  pass into a stationary double team for the last 20 minutes (How about drawing up ONE creative play to get Zion the ball on the move?), you're sunk.

Maybe he goes back to the drawing board this year (now that he'll have a team with obviously good players but no likely top 5 picks or NBA all stars) but I'm not betting on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, TheIronSheik said:

Out of 44 Division I schools that have never made the NCAA Tournament, we are already down to 26 having a chance.  And when I say a chance, that includes very, very slim chances.

Will someone punch their ticket for the first time this year?  

So it looks like we lose Savannah State (MEAC) this year.  Going down do DII.  But we gain Marrimack (NEC).  

Then next year, we add Bellarmine (ASUN), UC San Diego (Big West), and Dixie State (WAC).

Funny side note:  It would have taken me 50 guesses to correctly guess which state Dixie State University was in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, Rustoleum said:

Was there ever any doubt that a Duke-led investigation would find no evidence of anything improper between Zion and Nike (even if there is nothing to be found)?

 

It's also an eye-roll inducing usage of weasel words. Zion's stepdad ran his Nike EYBL team, so Nike could funnel however much money they wanted to Zion without technically being "improper."

Anyone with a dad, brother, cousin or whatever who is remotely qualified has been fair game to bribe through AAU or an assistant coach job for years now. OK State, who you might remember from the trials this summer, is running this exact play right now with Cade Cunningham.

If college basketball wasn't the most fun sport to watch, I'd just say burn it all to the ground. I don't think a Euro style model would be nearly as fun. College basketball is good because a team of 6 ft future accountants can take out a team of one and done kids + the difference in styles of play + the intensity of nearly every game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rirruto said:

It's also an eye-roll inducing usage of weasel words. Zion's stepdad ran his Nike EYBL team, so Nike could funnel however much money they wanted to Zion without technically being "improper."

Anyone with a dad, brother, cousin or whatever who is remotely qualified has been fair game to bribe through AAU or an assistant coach job for years now. OK State, who you might remember from the trials this summer, is running this exact play right now with Cade Cunningham.

If college basketball wasn't the most fun sport to watch, I'd just say burn it all to the ground. I don't think a Euro style model would be nearly as fun. College basketball is good because a team of 6 ft future accountants can take out a team of one and done kids + the difference in styles of play + the intensity of nearly every game. 

Yea it’s horrible that Zion made money off his likeness. More rich white people should have got to cut that up.  

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-tech/article235385817.html

Former Texas Tech basketball star shot and killed in Dallas

Former Texas Tech basketball star Andre Emmett died Monday morning.

KCBD in Lubbock is one of several outlets reporting Emmett was shot and killed in Dallas.

Emmett, who turned 37 last month, was the No. 35 overall pick by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 2004 NBA draft. He only played in 14 NBA games but played professionally in Europe and China.

Emmett was a star at Dallas Carter before becoming the Red Raiders all-time leading scorer with 2,256 points from 2001-2004. He was an All-American as a senior and earned All-Big 12 Conference first team honors three times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mr. furley said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-tech/article235385817.html

Former Texas Tech basketball star shot and killed in Dallas

Former Texas Tech basketball star Andre Emmett died Monday morning.

KCBD in Lubbock is one of several outlets reporting Emmett was shot and killed in Dallas.

Emmett, who turned 37 last month, was the No. 35 overall pick by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 2004 NBA draft. He only played in 14 NBA games but played professionally in Europe and China.

Emmett was a star at Dallas Carter before becoming the Red Raiders all-time leading scorer with 2,256 points from 2001-2004. He was an All-American as a senior and earned All-Big 12 Conference first team honors three times.

oh ####.   that dude could definitely ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 11/9/2019 at 2:51 AM, SayWhat? said:

Penny been dropping dimes to Wiseman.  

Going to be fun when the NCAA now rules Memphis ineligible for the postseason because they chose to play Wisenan after the temporary injunction was issued today.

Yeah, odd decision by Memphis.  Seems like an odd hill to die on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love everything about the Wiseman story. I mean, except that the NCAA rule is dumb and should be changed.

Gary Parrish reported that Memphis went to the NCAA to try to see what the punishment was going to be on the front end, which the NCAA doesn't do. Memphis's deal was supposedly, "if he just has to sit a few games, then we'll sit him. But if you're wanting him to sit half the season, then we'll just vacate the wins later." I hope Memphis wins the whole thing now just to have the awkward awards ceremony. They know that the NCAA can't send them the notice of allegations, Memphis have it's response time, and the NCAA make a ruling before March. Just a total power move.

I especially like it as a fan of a team that's actively recruiting players against Memphis. Before, I just expected to lose everyone to Penny. But now opposing coaches can reasonably and honestly say that there's virtually a 100% chance that Memphis is going to get a postseason ban. With the way Memphis is handling this, who is to say Penny doesn't get a show-cause or just decides he's too rich and he's coached the kids he brought up through AAU anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Rirruto said:

I love everything about the Wiseman story. I mean, except that the NCAA rule is dumb and should be changed.

Gary Parrish reported that Memphis went to the NCAA to try to see what the punishment was going to be on the front end, which the NCAA doesn't do. Memphis's deal was supposedly, "if he just has to sit a few games, then we'll sit him. But if you're wanting him to sit half the season, then we'll just vacate the wins later." I hope Memphis wins the whole thing now just to have the awkward awards ceremony. They know that the NCAA can't send them the notice of allegations, Memphis have it's response time, and the NCAA make a ruling before March. Just a total power move.

I especially like it as a fan of a team that's actively recruiting players against Memphis. Before, I just expected to lose everyone to Penny. But now opposing coaches can reasonably and honestly say that there's virtually a 100% chance that Memphis is going to get a postseason ban. With the way Memphis is handling this, who is to say Penny doesn't get a show-cause or just decides he's too rich and he's coached the kids he brought up through AAU anyway?

You mean the NBA's rule?  The one and done is their rule, not the NCAA's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rirruto said:

The NBA cares about Penny giving some kid $11k?

That's why I was asking the question.  I didn't know what rule you were referring to.  A lot of people are complaining about the NCAA not letting these guys go right to the NBA to make money, but that's the NBA's rule.  But yes, if you are referring to paying players, that's the NCAA's rule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

That's why I was asking the question.  I didn't know what rule you were referring to.  A lot of people are complaining about the NCAA not letting these guys go right to the NBA to make money, but that's the NBA's rule.  But yes, if you are referring to paying players, that's the NCAA's rule.

 

The 2022 draft will be fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean....I get that everyone hates the NCAA (and deservedly so) and will basically jump at the chance to #### on any decision they make. But this seems about as simple as it gets.

Penny was unquestionably a booster. He is one of their more famous alumni and made a 7 figure donation to the university. Rumors about him possibly getting involved with the program were around for several years.

He paid the family so they could move their son into the east memphis school district and play for Penny. I believe several other elite prospects transferred in as well. Penny used the HS team, the AAU team (which was basically the same group) and his relationship with Wiseman to build some coaching credibility for the memphis job.  He got the job and, as expected, delivered the kids. 

Does it suck that the kid is being punished for taking 10k? I guess. But for the school or penny to play the victim is just silly. They all knew exactly what they were doing when they hired the guy. They were banking on the idea that penny could use his relationships with this group to load up for a big run, raising the profile of the program and setting them up for long term success. They were ok with Wiseman getting popped for a few games as long as he's playing in March.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I have a coworker who is a SFA alum. His facebook page has been littered with gibberish and celebratory emoticons for about 9 hours

And well it should be.  That might be that programs greatest win ever.  That's like winning the national championship. :lol:  

Good on them.  I like seeing a good, crazy upset every so often.  Especially when it doesn't involve my team.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, while Duke suffered its most embarrassing loss in a long while - which is to take nothing away from a better-prepared, better-coached SFA team - honestly, this UNC edition is terrible.  Naturally they have a huge ranking off the name alone as they do every year, but let Anthony get his and contain the rest of the team and they are more beatable than they have been in years.  Shocking dearth of talent.  Paltry OOC schedule, too.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aerial Assault said:

Yeah, while Duke suffered its most embarrassing loss in a long while - which is to take nothing away from a better-prepared, better-coached SFA team - honestly, this UNC edition is terrible.  Naturally they have a huge ranking off the name alone as they do every year, but let Anthony get his and contain the rest of the team and they are more beatable than they have been in years.  Shocking dearth of talent.  Paltry OOC schedule, too.  

:goodposting:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't believe the Crosstown Shootout is this weekend.  Just snuck up on me, I guess.

With X having a coach in his 2nd year and UC having a first year coach, it'll be interesting to see how this rivalry plays out.  I'm more of a fan when these teams want to kill each other in this game.  I know from the outside looking in, ever since the brawl game this has been viewed differently.  But the craziest part about this game is that these kids play summer ball with each other.  They pretty much get along with each other for 51 weeks out of the year.  Then want to kill each other for that last week.  It's like siblings fighting.  It might look bad from the outside, but it's just boys being boys.  

It would be nice to win this one on their court this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Transitioning into college hoops and NBA now that football is winding down (at least the fantasy-related part).

I am astonished by how wide open college hoops is right now.  I would not be shocked to see 4 fairly random teams in the Final Four.  

Stephen F. Austin beating Dook on their home floor is evidence of this.

Ohio State over UNC in the Dean Dome?  Ohio State?  

Lovin' it so far.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two of Georgetown's top five scorers including last year's Big East freshman of the year PG James Akinjo left the program and have entered the transfer gizmo.  The other transfer, Wing Josh LeBlanc had been named in assault and sexual misconduct charges along with two other Hoyas.  The school had to issue a follow-up statement that Akinjo wasn't involved.

It's a very bad look for Patrick Ewing's program who've lost whatever little momentum they had.  Their top 2020 recruit has also de-committed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Transitioning into college hoops and NBA now that football is winding down (at least the fantasy-related part).

I am astonished by how wide open college hoops is right now.  I would not be shocked to see 4 fairly random teams in the Final Four.  

Stephen F. Austin beating Dook on their home floor is evidence of this.

Ohio State over UNC in the Dean Dome?  Ohio State?  

Lovin' it so far.  

Ohio state is ranked above unc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, Aerial Assault said:

Yeah, while Duke suffered its most embarrassing loss in a long while - which is to take nothing away from a better-prepared, better-coached SFA team - honestly, this UNC edition is terrible.  Naturally they have a huge ranking off the name alone as they do every year, but let Anthony get his and contain the rest of the team and they are more beatable than they have been in years.  Shocking dearth of talent.  Paltry OOC schedule, too.  

 

^^^^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Eephus said:

Two of Georgetown's top five scorers including last year's Big East freshman of the year PG James Akinjo left the program and have entered the transfer gizmo.  The other transfer, Wing Josh LeBlanc had been named in assault and sexual misconduct charges along with two other Hoyas.  The school had to issue a follow-up statement that Akinjo wasn't involved.

It's a very bad look for Patrick Ewing's program who've lost whatever little momentum they had.  Their top 2020 recruit has also de-committed.

Georgetown was getting a ton of positive buzz locally for the first time in 20 years and was starting to get a lot of national eyes on them. We'll see what the details are as they come out, but Ewing may not survive this if it's as bad as some are whispering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So X beats us but what else is new.  Some promising young players on both sides of the ball.  And with two technicals called, it appears that the hatred continues even with the new coaches.

Side note:  I know he's not our coach, but mad respect for Coach Steele.  Dude went down to the Xavier bar and plopped a thousand dollars cash on the bar to buy everyone there pitchers of draft beer. :banned:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...