What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ka'Deem Carey, RB (CHI) (1 Viewer)

Many had him as their #1 RB and a 1st rounder. Those people need to get their eyes checked. He's not in my top 10.

Many had him as their #1 RB and a 1st rounder. Those people need to get their eyes checked. He's not in my top 10.
He was your #9 before the combine. Full credit -- that's the lowest anyone had him rated that I've seen. But the truth is he's more like a rookie RB #20 type prospect and will be lucky to ever contribute in the NFL.

The tape lies. You can't see what you need to there.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was your #9 before the combine. Full credit -- that's the lowest anyone had him rated that I've seen. But the truth is he's more like a rookie RB #20 type prospect and will be lucky to ever contribute in the NFL.

The tape lies. You can't see what you need to there.
Yes, I did move him up right before the combine. He had some good Yards After Contact metrics and is a good pass blocker. But I didn't think he would have tested that well either way.

I think I saw a comp of him I liked that said he was the most like Knowshon Moreno. Makes sense to me.

Not sure if that is a great thing, since he doesn't have a job and all that, but still.

zed2283 said:
Didn't see a thread on him. I've seen him in some top 5 lists, so it seems as though he's in the discussion and should have his own thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K35uRZccJvQ
I personally like him. He's a bit of a grinder, quick feet, hits the crease.

I think I saw a comp of him I liked that said he was the most like Knowshon Moreno. Makes sense to me.

Not sure if that is a great thing, since he doesn't have a job and all that, but still.

zed2283 said:
Didn't see a thread on him. I've seen him in some top 5 lists, so it seems as though he's in the discussion and should have his own thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K35uRZccJvQ
I personally like him. He's a bit of a grinder, quick feet, hits the crease.
People forget that Moreno tore his ACL his Rookie Season. Picture his Running Style now but just an extra hair quicker. I think Carey is shiftier than Moreno was coming out.

I think it's obvious he lacks big time speed but he looks quick and he makes people miss... In fantasy I'm not sure he will ever be a stud by any means but I think he will present very real value to an NFL team

Carey is a football player more than a track/combine guy. He was #7 RB precombine, probably near the same post combine. He's never going to be more than a committee guy, but he is a tough/slashing type runner.

Admittedly, I don't watch much college football. The youtube highlight in the OP was the first I've seen of Carey and I was surprised to learn his size afterwards. He looks much bigger to me on the video.

I'm surprised how down people seem to be on him, but that's based solely on what I see in his highlights. He looks fast, quick, shift, and like he has good vision, and looks more impressive to me than Jeremy Hill (people were comparing them in the other thread).

But that's why I come here, to get the scoop from college football fans.

Rotoworld:

NFL media analyst Bucky Brooks believes Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey has the "potential to thrive" as a primary runner.
"If I had to point out one guy to watch moving forward, I would suggest keeping an eye on Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey, Brooks wrote. The Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year put up solid numbers from 2012-2013 rushing for 3,814 rushing yards and 42 touchdowns. Brooks notes that Carey's "relentless running style" is "ideal for the pro game." While many evaluators were disappointed in Carey's recent forty times (4.68 and 4.69),Carey still possess good instincts, burst and vision in the open field to be successful at the next level. Look for Carey's name to be called in the second round of the draft.

Source: NFL.com

I don't want to be overly reliant on metrics, but how many historically productive NFL running backs have had speed scores of 84 or less? Carey ran a 4.70 at 207. Not to mention the 4.38 three cone, and sub-10 foot broad jump. Doesn't there need to be a baseline level of athletic ability to succeed?

ETA: I know Shady McCoy had a bad combine, but he was reported to be sick/coming off of an illness. Does Carey have an excuse?

I don't want to be overly reliant on metrics, but how many historically productive NFL running backs have had speed scores of 84 or less? Carey ran a 4.70 at 207. Not to mention the 4.38 three cone, and sub-10 foot broad jump. Doesn't there need to be a baseline level of athletic ability to succeed?

ETA: I know Shady McCoy had a bad combine, but he was reported to be sick/coming off of an illness. Does Carey have an excuse?
he bombed both the combine and his pro day, so doubt it was sickness.

He looks really good when watching him, but can't ignore those horrific workout numbers. They weren't just bad they were downright awful.

ILUVBEER99 said:

he bombed both the combine and his pro day, so doubt it was sickness.

He looks really good when watching him, but can't ignore those horrific workout numbers. They weren't just bad they were downright awful.
This is the exact reason I passed over L.McCoy at 1.03 and selected S.Greene instead.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

McCoy still did better than Carey, he had a reason for a poor combine and he seems to be the exception that proves the rule.

Ellington also had a poor combine for his size but he pulled a hammy then ran a 4.51 at his pro day. Unlike Carey who ran 4.68-4.69 at his pro day. I don't mind a slow 40 with elite agility (Le'Veon Bell) or a slow 40 with big size (Hyde) but Carey doesn't seem to check any measurables box at all.

No excuses, he's just slow and not a very gifted athlete.

However, he's the most Emmitt-like back I've seen since Emmitt himself in the way he plays. I have no idea if a guy with his measurables (particularly his 40 @ 207lbs.) can succeed in today's NFL (or without the Cowboys OL) but it'll be interesting to find out.

The SI 64, Nos. 44-40: Kyle Van Noy, Dominique Easley, Scott Crichton and moreDoug Farrar

Excerpt:

No. 43: Ka’Deem Carey, RB, ArizonaBio: The leading rusher in the nation over the past two seasons, Carey ran for 1,885 yards on 349 carries last year and led the nation with 1,929 yards, and 2,232 yards from scrimmage the season before. Though he doesn’t flash on tape as a potentially elite NFL back, Carey opined at the scouting combine that he could very well be that.

“I’d say a mix between Adrian Peterson and LeSean McCoy,” Carey said, when asked which pro runners he was most like. “Adrian Peterson runs hard, and LeSean McCoy has the shakes in the open field to break a safety down. My favorite running back is Brian Westbrook because he catches, he blocks. He does it all.”

On tape, Carey does it all to a fairly impressive degree. But does he have what it takes to be a first-round talent in the NFL?

Strengths: Carey runs quickly and decisively to and through gaps — he’s fast from the start. He’s a good one-cut-and-go runner who turns and cuts well, and shows good vision on the run. He won’t get past first contact with power too often, but he’s elusive enough to break through with turns and jukes. Has a decent second gear and can really ramp it up when he’s in space. Not just a straight-line runner, though he can turn on the jets that way. Carey is not a dominant blocker by any means, but he gives full effort and looks to put a lick on any defender in his way. Good receiver who grabs the pass consistently and gets upfield.

Weaknesses: At 5-9 and 207 pounds, Carey will run into the same problem in the NFL that he did in college — he doesn’t have the pure driving power to get past tacklers in the backfield, and he could post a lot of negative plays in a system where he doesn’t have extra blockers to lead the way. He doesn’t have the kind of burner speed that will allow him to run away from quicker cornerbacks and safeties, and there are times when he leaves himself open to fumbles by running with the idea that he’s a power back. Ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at the combine, and was unable to improve upon that significantly at his pro day. As with all running backs in Rich Rodriguez offenses, there will be questions about Carey being a system back until he answers them in the NFL. Has had off-field incidents that could pose a concern.

Conclusion: A decade ago, the numbers Carey has put up would have virtually guaranteed him a first-round grade, but aside from the general dissolution of his positional value, Carey is also dealing with a lack of elite speed on the field and the perception that backs in his types of collegiate offenses aren’t prepped for success — not to mention those off-field concerns. His productivity and overall skillset should see him go fairly early in the second day of the draft. Backs who alternate between power and speed, without showing dominant traits either way, tend to be tough sells any higher than that.

NFL player comparison: Maurice Morris, Seattle Seahawks (2nd round, 2002, Oregon)

Scout's Take Blog: Draft observations by an ex-NFL player, scoutBucky Brooks

Excerpt:

Where's the love for Ka'Deem Carey?Posted: April 9, 2014 at 5:34 p.m.

I know the stopwatch isn't supposed to matter much in the evaluation process, but each year we see a talented prospect plummet down the charts because of a poor 40 time at the NFL Scouting Combine. Although scouts repeatedly suggest that workouts are only a small piece of the evaluation puzzle, the numbers on the stopwatch prevents some from trusting what they witnessed with their own eyes.

During my time scouting with the Carolina Panthers, I made the mistake of allowing the stopwatch to dictate my thoughts on a prospect's playing speed and pro potential when I changed my grade on Brandon Browner -- who went on to become a Pro Bowl CB -- after watching him post a pedestrian 40-time (4.63) at the combine. Despite grading Browner as a second-round talent based on my film study on the school visit, I changed my final grade after his disappointing workout in Indianapolis. While I wasn't alone in my assessment (Browner went undrafted in 2005 largely because of his questionable speed), I always regretted not sticking with my guns when he emerged as a Pro Bowl player in Seattle.

That's why I continue to believe Ka'Deem Carey will be a standout running back in the NFL despite his poor performance in the 40 in workouts. Although he is not an elite athlete, Carey is the most natural runner in the draft. He exhibits outstanding vision, balance and body control with the ball in his hands, yet is a violent runner who consistently runs through contact to fall forward at the end of runs. Carey's punishing running style belies his slender frame, but it is one of the reasons I believe he will excel as a feature back in a zone-based running scheme.

Watching Carey dominate the Pac-12 over the past two seasons, I'm convinced he excels largely because of his toughness, tenacity and physicality. He is best described as a grinder with a strong nose for finding creases in the middle of the defense on nifty cutbacks at the point of attack. Carey slithers into the open hole, but is also willing to punish defenders closing in for a big hit. By squarely delivering blows into the chest of would-be tacklers, Carey routinely falls forward at the end of the runs, which is critical to moving the chains at the next level.

From a production standpoint, I don't think there's any disputing Carey's effectiveness as a feature back at Arizona. He piled up 3,814 rushing yards and 42 rushing touchdowns over the past two seasons, with 22 100-yard games during that span. More important, he has shown the ability to carry a heavy workload by averaging 26 carries per game the past two seasons. Even in a league where fewer running backs are being asked to carry the load, the fact that Carey has been an effective bell cow at the collegiate level will earn him high marks from coaches who covet tough-minded runners.

If there is a flaw in Carey's game, it is obviously his lack of breakaway speed. He lacks the speed, explosion and burst to score from anywhere on the field despite having a number of 20- and 40-plus-yard runs on his resume at Arizona. Although skeptics of Carey's game frequently cite his top-end speed as a major concern, it is important to note that the Matt Forte and C.J. Spiller tied for the league-lead with four runs of 40-plus yards (Alfred Morris led the NFL with 10 20-plus yard runs). Thus, Carey's home-run speed shouldn't weigh heavily in the evaluation because of the lack of big runs that actually occur in pro games.

I must acknowledge Carey's character concerns possibly playing a role in his ranking on some boards. He faced an assortment of charges stemming from a domestic violence incident in 2012. Although the chargers were eventually dropped, Carey's involvement in that incident created concerns about his personality and behavior in the minds of evaluators. He also was kicked out of a basketball game in 2013 after a run-in with a police officer. It is possible that his slide down the charts is due to his behavioral issues. (Carlos Hyde and Jeremy Hill must also have to address some character issues to maintain their lofty rankings on draft boards around the league.)

Overall, I know that Carey's speed and character should play a role in his final evaluation, but I've been around the NFL long enough to know talent outweighs everything on draft day. Given Carey's production and natural running skills, I believe he should be in the conversation as one of the top running backs in the 2014 class, despite a slow 40-time that has scouts second-guessing their evaluations from the fall.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Louis Riddick writes that evaluators should keep Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey's poor measureables "in perspective."
"If only every RB tried to finish every run like Ka'Deem Carey tries to finish his. You better bring it when you square up on this kid," Riddick tweeted. "Carey [is] a prime recent example of how the combine can fool you [and] mess with you if you don't keep it in perspective." Carey ran forty times of 4.68 and 4.69 seconds at the school's pro day, barely improving upon his ugly 4.70 second time at the combine. If you can forget about that, however, you see a potential diamond. Carey has been one of the most dangerous players in the Pac 12 the past two seasons, rushing for 3,814 yards and 42 touchdowns. The 5-foot-10, 207-pounder didn't rush for less than 119 yards in a game last season.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

You're too focused on numbers. He had 16 straight games with 100 yards rushing and had a 100 yards in 20 of his last 21.

There are not 10 RB's in this draft more likely to be successful than Carey.

You're too focused on numbers. He had 16 straight games with 100 yards rushing and had a 100 yards in 20 of his last 21.

Yet you cited "numbers" of your own?

McCoy still did better than Carey, he had a reason for a poor combine and he seems to be the exception that proves the rule.

Ellington also had a poor combine for his size but he pulled a hammy then ran a 4.51 at his pro day. Unlike Carey who ran 4.68-4.69 at his pro day. I don't mind a slow 40 with elite agility (Le'Veon Bell) or a slow 40 with big size (Hyde) but Carey doesn't seem to check any measurables box at all.
Does Bell really have elite agility??

I hope GMs in my league ignore the test numbers and just go off of youtube highlights. That will make me happy.

Yes, considering his size/power he is very agile. There are some guys recently that are scoring well in overall size/thickness, strength and agility.

Bell as an example at 6'1" 230 lbs only ran a 4.6, yet he had a 1.52 10 split which is good. He threw up 24 reps on the bench. He really stood out with a 6.75 3 cone, that's awesome for a guy his size. He had a nice, not exceptional, 4.24 20 short shuttle.

You combine that with his college output and he is a nice looking power back for the NFL.

Let's take another power back from last year's draft: Zac Stacy

5'8" 220 with 27 bench reps. Thick with power. 4.53 isn't horrible, but again, 1.56 10 split. 6.70 3 cone and now we're talking. 20 ss at 4.17 and we now know he has wiggle. Check his college output and I can see he belongs in the NFL.

Now, neither set the world on fire last year, but they produced more than some higher-rated 2013 rookie RBs. The thing is, the numbers were there to project this. Some people ignore a lot of data and just go off of a couple site's rankings and run with the 'groupthink.'

Carey is not a power back, he has puffed numbers from college because Arizona ran a metric f---ton. He is smaller and not as thick/strong. Combine with poor agility and hardly any explosion(vert/broad) the numbers suggest a likely bust in the NFL.

Xue said:
cstu said:

Yet you cited "numbers" of your own?
I mean his physical numbers. Despite his relative lack of talent he's produced on the field. I think he has everything needed to succeed except great speed.

Carey is not a power back, he has puffed numbers from college because Arizona ran a metric f---ton. He is smaller and not as thick/strong. Combine with poor agility and hardly any explosion(vert/broad) the numbers suggest a likely bust in the NFL.
It's not a bad thing that he was able to carry the ball 652 times in two years and average 5.8 YPC.

His agility numbers are nothing special, but they aren't horrible either. His 10 yard split (1.60) is right there with Sankey, Seastrunk and West.

He could be a steal for someone in the 5th round.

I go back and forth on Carey, and there is lots of negative stuff about him. This feels a lot like Kenan Allen's situation last year when we learned it was a mistake to discount the game tape too much. And it may be dangerous to discount Carey's film. He is elusive and falls forward on contact. I agree, Carey could be a steal.

Check our eyes? Our eyes watching him play is exactly what made people believe he was the real deal. It wasn't until the slow 40 (the numbers) where the masses started doubting him.

Before I started really diving into the RB's I had assumed I would have Carey at the top, but he is easily top10 in my mind (I have him at 6). I can see him being anywhere between #4-#9 on boards but outside the top10 tells me that you're relying too much on the bad showing at the combine/pro day and not on what he proved on the field. The guy can play. Great mid round RB for teams.

Using combine stats, Bell had a 6.75 three cone drill and 4.24 short shuttle at 230 pounds. There aren't many pro RBs or prospects at his size that put up numbers like that. Carey isn't even close and he weighs 20+ lbs less. Similar-sized prospects in this draft class are Hill and Hyde. Hill was awful in agility at his pro day and Hyde didn't even bother to run them from what I have seen.

Christine Michael had great agility scores as well at a tad smaller size. In this draft class, only Tyler Gaffney checks in at 220+ with great agility scores (6.78/4.18). Sankey, Mason, McKinnon at 205-210 did very well this year for agility numbers. Some don't care about that metric, and it isn't crucial for a running back to succeed if you have other skills (AP is a great example mentioned previously). I find it helpful as players like Stacy and Doug Martin checked in well there recently.

I hope GMs in my league ignore the test numbers and just go off of youtube highlights. That will make me happy.
It is easy to look at a back's big plays on a youtube video and fall in love. However, Carey supporters fall in that camp.

Carey is not a stud because of his big plays and he obviously did not blow anyone away with his combine numbers. He is someone to watch out for because he is a football player. Watch the tape vs. Oregon...not just the "highlights" but each of his touches. Watch him carry three would-be tacklers at 1:06, 1:50 and 6:50. Watch him get stronger at as the game goes on.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/kadeem-carey-vs-oregon-2013/

Carey willed his team to a win vs. the #5 team in the nation. He's a passionate player with a violent running style whose runs may not make as many highlight reels as a Bishop Sankey, but will win games.

This is an obvious statement for almost any player, but the NFL will be the final judge of what is thought of Carey. If some team takes him in the 2nd-3rd round near similar-sized and productive guys like Sankey and Mason, that is saying something significant and is cause (for me at least) to re-evaluate. If he falls to the 5th, is becomes pretty clear that in spite of his excellent production and tape, the NFL has judged him as not athletic enough to warrant an early pick .

Rotoworld:

Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey finished as the No. 11 RB prospect in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's poll of NFL scouts.
The newspaper asked 18 scouts to rank the top five RBs in the class, with first-place receiving five points, and a fifth-place vote earning one point. Carey barely made the list, earning two points, falling behind RBs such as Storm Johnson and Charles Sims. "He's a power guy," one scout said. "He's got vision. He runs inside pretty well. He's got some off-the-field stuff that you need to check into." Apparently that was a reference to Carey's ejection from a campus basketball game in January 2013 following an altercation. "Then he verified his lack of speed at the workout," another scout said. "I just didn't think he had that extra spurt. That offense really helped him a lot." Carey scored just a 9 on the Wonderlic. The 5-foot-10, 207-pounder declared early for the draft, but he's not assured of being selected.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Chicago Bears draft running back Ka'Deem CareyBy Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

The Chicago Bears added their primary backup to Matt Forte in the fourth round.

General manager Phil Emery nabbed Arizona running back Ka'Deem Carey with the No. 117 overall pick.

A favorite of NFL Media's Bucky Brooks, Carey was a dominant runner in the Pac-12 for the past two seasons. Carey ran for 22 100-yard games in those two years.

The Bears hadn't drafted a running back since taking Forte in the second round in 2008.

Carey has a clear path to the No. 2 job behind Forte, an Around The League favorite, in Marc Trestman's offense, after the Bears jettisoned Michael Bush.

Carey is not a blazer. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah said he is a player who will hit "a lot of singles, a lot of doubles" but not the home run.

The 5-foot-9 Carey is a tough runner who doesn't fumble. Off-the-field concerns aided his dropping to the fourth round.

"He's not a 4.4 guy, but when he sees it, he can go," Mike Mayock said of Carey.

Emery might have just drafted his running back of the future, and a near-Forte facsimile.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Rotoworld:

Bears signed fourth-round RB Ka'Deem Carey to a four-year contract.
Carey was viewed by some as the top running back in this year's draft class. He doesn't project as a long-term bellcow back but should be a serviceable No. 2 in a one-two punch down the road. Carey is a strong inside runner and displays soft hands in the passing game. He should open the year as Matt Forte's backup.

Check our eyes? Our eyes watching him play is exactly what made people believe he was the real deal. It wasn't until the slow 40 (the numbers) where the masses started doubting him.Before I started really diving into the RB's I had assumed I would have Carey at the top, but he is easily top10 in my mind (I have him at 6). I can see him being anywhere between #4-#9 on boards but outside the top10 tells me that you're relying too much on the bad showing at the combine/pro day and not on what he proved on the field. The guy can play. Great mid round RB for teams.
Carey ended up being the 10th RB drafted. I had him lumped with Devonta Freeman and James White (just outside my top 10), who were also drafted in the 4th round. It's not that I think he's garbage. He's just not as talented as we thought he was on tape even before the bad combine.

I've long stated that he's not any more talented than James White: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676170&page=24#entry16182467

He's more talented than Ball. Very underrated. Don't see how he's any different or less talented than Ka'Deem Carey. If I'm an NFL team, I'd rather have White in the 4th than Carey in the 2nd. Heck, some mocks have Carey at the end of the 1st, which is absurd.

Also a very good pass blocker for a "small" RB. That's the #1 reason why the much more talented Gordon has to "share" carries.

Bears Q&A: Arizona running backs coach on Ka'Deem Carey

By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter

1:45 pm, May 10, 2014

Arizona running backs coach Calvin Magee played tight end for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1985-89. His offensive coordinator in his first two seasons there? Marc Trestman.

Magee didn’t connect with Trestman during the predraft process about running back Ka’Deem Carey, but he does believe the Bears’ fourth-round pick will succeed under his former coach.

In a recent phone conversation, Magee discussed Carey’s tenacious running style and the pass protection ability Trestman demands from his running backs.

Q: What type of player are the Bears getting in Ka’Deem?

CM: “A complete, most competitive I’ve ever coached, ever been around. He comes to practice every day, and he practices like it’s games. Every rep he takes in practice is like it’s a game rep. He is the hardest working kid I’ve ever been around.”

Q: Why is he so hard to tackle?

CM: “First of all, he runs with a passion. He runs hungry. He runs like he’s angry. He don’t like being tackled. (Laughs) He’s a studier of the game. He understands angles, and he uses that. His preparation is just top notch.”

Q: What does he do to prepare?

CM: “He studies film. He actually studies opponents. He studies tendencies on (defensive) tackles. His is practice time, mostly, other than the film study. He practiced like it’s games, so when it is games, it’s nothing different for him. He works at it. That’s the one thing I’ll say about the kid that’s probably his biggest trait—he lives for football.”

Q: Why has he had such success protecting the football?

CM: “For as many carries as we had, he barely put it on the ground. He keeps the ball high and tight in traffic. He works at it during drills, even when we’re just in shorts. He’s always maintaining a high and tight ball security thing, and he’s conscious of it. It hurts him—the few times he did put it on the ground, it was like the end of the world for him. I mean, he felt like he let himself and the team down. So it’s just something he has worked on and cares deeply about.”

Q: What type of patience and vision was required out of him in your type of offense?

CM: “I would always talk to him about, ‘On the next level, you’re not going to be able to freelance. So he understood that he had to be disciplined with them to run schemes. He had some zone reads, and the normal reads backs make. But he definitely had reads that he had to make, and he had to understand linemen blocking and angles, and he did a great job of that.”

Q: I know he doesn’t have a reputation for being a home-run hitter, but that he’s more of a back that will exploit what’s there and then gain yards after contact. What type of speed work did you guys do with him?

CM: “We did the normal speed work. I won’t get too deep into that…but I will say this: 40-yard dash, I mean, Ka’Deem is a football player. He runs as fast as he needs to. I would be more concerned about Ka’Deem’s football speed than his speed work because he’s a football player.”

Q: So he plays faster than he times?

CM: “There’s no question he plays faster than he times. He has the uncanny ability to get people to get people off balance, which allows him to be faster.”

Q: How does he get guys off balance?

CM: “He has good, tight quickness without wasted motion. He’s a no-nonsense runner. That’s the way I like to put it. He’s a no-nonsense runner with no wasted motion.”

Q: What about his ability as a pass blocker?

CM: “Ka’Deem is a very good pass blocker. He understands the schemes of blitz pick-up. This is not a negative, but he would try to hurt you. He’s a very physical kid that’s going to have to tighten up those techniques. But he is a willing blocker who is definitely going to stick is face in there.”

Q: When you say tighten it up, what do you mean? Staying balanced, not lunging, things like that?

CM: “He’s not a lunger. He’s going to put his face in there. What I mean by tightening it up is simply he’s going to the NFL. Everybody who goes to the NFL has to tighten things up.”

Q: Is there any area in which you saw him develop or evolve toward the end of his career?

CM: “Basically, what he became to be—a no-nonsense runner. Not look for things that are not there. In my mind, he’s a tireless ready-to-go guy who just needs to understand the NFL game and the NFL playbook, and he won’t have a problem doing that. I think it’s going to be very exciting for him to learn from Matt Forte, who’s already been fabulous and proven".

i think he's a nice complementary player behind Forte. he's a going to be an interesting target in the offseason for me. i want to hear how he looks in OTAs, et al.

he could play a role similar to GIO as a rook and by this time next year targeting him for a late first round selection..... That's probably best case sit and maybe 2-4 games missed from Forte due to Inj... 180 carries and 40-50 catches would suffice for at least a bigger workload

Forte is not the most durable back around guys to say the least and he will be 29 this season... People are gonna be kicking themselves for not drafting Carey more and he will be a gem in Trestmans runningback/pass happy offense. Charlie Garner caught 91 balls in a trestman led offense think about that, and Carey is way more talented then Garner ever was.

he could play a role similar to GIO as a rook and by this time next year targeting him for a late first round selection..... That's probably best case situation, and maybe guesstimating 2-4 games missed from Forte due to Inj... 180 carries and 40-50 catches would suffice for at least a bigger workload

Forte is not the most durable back around guys to say the least and he will be 29 this season... People are gonna be kicking themselves for not drafting Carey more and he will be a gem in Trestmans runningback/pass happy offense. Charlie Garner caught 91 balls in a trestman led offense think about that, and Carey is way more talented then Garner ever was.
While I agree that he is getting older and Carey could start to take more carries from him, not sure what you are looking at as far as "not the most durable back around". In 6 years he's played in 91 games, so he hasn't missed that many games at all. He's been the primary back for the bears that entire time, and they have never had a 2nd back that has taken significant time from him. I would doubt you can find many other backs in the league that have not been part of a RBBC and missed as few games as he has.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chicago considers fourth-round RB Ka'Deem Carey the favorite to open the season as Matt Forte's direct backup.

Michael Ford is Carey's competition. Ford is a more of a scat back, while Carey is a strong inside between-the-tackles runner with soft hands as a receiver out of the backfield. Neither player will have much fantasy value unless Forte goes down with an injury. Only then would Carey be in line for a monster workload.

Related: Michael Ford

Source: ESPN Chicago

Jun 24 - 9:23 AM

Users who are viewing this thread