What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (3 Viewers)

The more I watch this guy the more I see a stiff upright runner that doesn't avoid much contact. Those guys don't last long in the NFL.

playing like a beast tonight. couldn't ask for more as a Hill owner, the Bengals are giving him a full-game workout to see if he can handle the load and he is absolutely showing he can. I don't think we see BJGE ahead of him at all in week one and he will be the Bengals most productive RB this season

this is insanity. no idea what to make of it. i suppose it means hes a true backup and its time to bump gio.
It could be, but that would still be insane- who else is giving their true backup so many touches in game 4 of the preseason? I'm guessing no other RB has this many touches in any preseason game this year. Just doesn't make sense.

The more I watch this guy the more I see a stiff upright runner that doesn't avoid much contact. Those guys don't last long in the NFL.
Who was the last stiff, upright runner who retired early because of it? I don't think he's stiff or upright, personally, but I always hear it. And it's always directed at tall players as well.

A lot of people were comparing him to D. Murray back in the day. I think that's a pretty decent comp in terms of his playing style.

I think there's potential there, but how this offseason played out has dampened some of whatever enthusiasm I had for him. There was a lot of opportunity for him to secure a significant role, and it just didn't happen.

A lot of people were comparing him to D. Murray back in the day. I think that's a pretty decent comp in terms of his playing style.

I think there's potential there, but how this offseason played out has dampened some of whatever enthusiasm I had for him. There was a lot of opportunity for him to secure a significant role, and it just didn't happen.
Wat?

What in the works are you talking about?

Did you hear something I didn't? He outplayed the guy in front if him. Hard to ask for much more than that.

Lewis quote on Hill per Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com:

@GeoffHobsonCin: Lewis on Hill's 27 touches: he's got to learn what it's like in an NFL game”

Sounds like someone who envisions Hill getting a lot of touches, be it sooner or later.

-QG

Then you should drop him for Alfred Blue or Theo Riddick

Did you hear something I didn't? He outplayed the guy in front if him. Hard to ask for much more than that.

Wat?
They chose to sign MJD, and re-sign McFadden. MJD I can understand, but Murray has the skill-set to run as the #2 in that offense. Bringing back McFadden, when they had all but moved on from him after two injury plagued and horrendous years, to push Murray into the #3 role isn't exactly a ringing vote of confidence in Murray's current ability to do the job. Considering how little they had to risk this year, that surprised and mildly concerned me.

Just my two cents. Obviously you guys are seeing something different.

Edit: Crap. Thought this was in the Oakland thread tab and that we were discussing Latavius Murray. I understand your collective confusion. Nothing to see here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Jeremy Hill rushed 20 times for 90 yards and caught 6-of-6 targets for 70 yards in the Bengals' preseason finale Thursday night.

Starter Gio Bernard rested. Hill was utilized as a true every-down back, while being occasionally spelled by UDFA James Wilder. Hill exited at one point with an elbow injury, but returned to the game. He also blew a blitz pickup, getting Jason Campbell sacked. Core players don't typically get the kind of usage Hill did in exhibition finales, so it's hard to say with any certainty what this means for his Week 1 role. Bernard will be a quality RB2 play against the Ravens. Hill will be a dicey flex option until we get some clarity.

Aug 28 - 9:56 PM

QuizGuy66 said:
Lewis quote on Hill per Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com:

@GeoffHobsonCin: Lewis on Hill's 27 touches: he's got to learn what it's like in an NFL game

Sounds like someone who envisions Hill getting a lot of touches, be it sooner or later.

-QG
WOW that's a interesting and telling quote I'm all aboard!!!??

Is this the Bold Predictions thread?

Cincinnati goes deep into the playoffs, led by the two-pronged ground attack of Bernard and Hill who have nearly 4,000 yards combined rushing/receiving between them.

cvnpoka said:
this is insanity. no idea what to make of it. i suppose it means hes a true backup and its time to bump gio.
agreed can't even stay healthy for preseason... BUMP GIO.

EastonBlues22 said:
Concept Coop said:
EastonBlues22 said:

jurb26 said:
EastonBlues22 said:

humpback said:
EastonBlues22 said:

Wat?
They chose to sign MJD, and re-sign McFadden. MJD I can understand, but Murray has the skill-set to run as the #2 in that offense. Bringing back McFadden, when they had all but moved on from him after two injury plagued and horrendous years, to push Murray into the #3 role isn't exactly a ringing vote of confidence in Murray's current ability to do the job. Considering how little they had to risk this year, that surprised and mildly concerned me.Just my two cents. Obviously you guys are seeing something different.

Edit: Crap. Thought this was in the Oakland thread tab and that we were discussing Latavius Murray. I understand your collective confusion. Nothing to see here.
:lmao: :lmao:

Concept Coop said:
EastonBlues22 said:

:lmao:

I like the 2 defensive TD's they scored last night. Hill will be a significant contributor for this offense with Bernard being more prominent. This is why he's a bit of a reach in the late first for me.

Marvin Lewis after the game:

You got Jeremy Hill a lot of carries tonight. Why did you send him back out in the second half?
“Well, Jeremy has to understand what it’s like to be an NFL running back. We aren’t five deep. When we get to Sundays and we go down to 46 guys, and if he’s going to be the guy, then he’s going to have to be able to shoulder the load. You can get some good conditioning out here tonight. He’s going to learn to run with his pads down and protect the football. They were good snaps for him to learn with tonight.”

There seemed to be a little disappointment last week with Jeremy in the passing game ...
“Well, he had a couple balls he could have caught a turned into better plays. I don’t know if the lights got him, but the ball got up on him and he didn’t make the catches. Part of the reason we brought him here was his ability to receive the football. We feel really good about that.”

Bengals released RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

After Jeremy Hill's beastly preseason, the Bengals were able to comfortably sever ties with 29-year-old Green-Ellis, who was injured for much of August following an ineffective 2013 season. An aging plodder, Green-Ellis will probably resurface on a team in desperate need of a short-yardage back, but he has very little left to offer. The Bengals' tailback depth chart stands at Giovani Bernard, rookie Hill, Cedric Peerman, and Rex Burkhead.

Rotoworld:

Friday's release of BenJarvus Green-Ellis solidifies rookie Jeremy Hill as the "banger complement" to Giovani Bernard, per Bengals.com.

Keep in mind the expectations of Hill playing a significant role in the Bengals' backfield are coming directly and repeatedly from the team's own website. Cedric Peerman and Rex Burkhead will make the final 53 as depth pieces with special teams value. Hill's workload remains uncertain entering Week 1 against Baltimore, but he could become an every-week RB2/flex sooner rather than later on a Bengals team that wants to pound the rock.

Source: bengals.com

Aug 29 - 2:28 PM

Rotoworld:

The Bengals' website suggests the team "must have thunder and lightning dancing through their heads" following rookie Jeremy Hill's performance in Thursday night's preseason finale.

Given a whopping 26 touches, Hill totaled 160 yards while earning the respect of teammates. Terence Newman and Jason Campbell both praised Hill for the effort, which included a funny-bone injury from which Hill returned to put the game away. Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson noted that Hill's workload "typified what new (OC) Hue Jackson wants," as he demonstrated "power," "speed," "vision," and "creativity," particularly on a weaving 41-yard screen pass where Hill "deked" a safety. Hill also "picked up a couple of blitzes," although he missed one, resulting in a sack of Campbell. Hill's ADP has climbed into the late-ninth-round, where he remains a value pick. Hill and Gio Bernard are expected to share carries this season in the "Thunder and Lightning" committee.

Aug 29 - 12:33 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website still expects Jeremy Hill to see upwards of 170 carries despite playing just ten offensive snaps in Week 1.

OC Hue Jackson said "trust" played a huge factor in Giovani Bernard out-touching Hill 20-4 against the Ravens. He didn't feel comfortable playing Hill extensively in a hostile environment in his NFL debut. Jackson assured Hill after the game that he'll be playing more going forward. We're still somewhat high on Hill in re-draft, but Bernard was awfully impressive as the bellcow last Sunday.

Sep 10 - 11:02 AM

Rotoworld:

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website still expects Jeremy Hill to see upwards of 170 carries despite playing just ten offensive snaps in Week 1.

OC Hue Jackson said "trust" played a huge factor in Giovani Bernard out-touching Hill 20-4 against the Ravens. He didn't feel comfortable playing Hill extensively in a hostile environment in his NFL debut. Jackson assured Hill after the game that he'll be playing more going forward. We're still somewhat high on Hill in re-draft, but Bernard was awfully impressive as the bellcow last Sunday.

Really?

Rotoworld:

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website still expects Jeremy Hill to see upwards of 170 carries despite playing just ten offensive snaps in Week 1.OC Hue Jackson said "trust" played a huge factor in Giovani Bernard out-touching Hill 20-4 against the Ravens. He didn't feel comfortable playing Hill extensively in a hostile environment in his NFL debut. Jackson assured Hill after the game that he'll be playing more going forward. We're still somewhat high on Hill in re-draft, but Bernard was awfully impressive as the bellcow last Sunday.

Really?
Yeah, I don't get that at all. He was awfully unimpressive as a runner. He was good in the passing game.

Gio is definitely the better guy for passing work, but he won't continue to dominate the carry count if Hill keeps outperforming him out of the backfield. And he will

In Gio's first game, he had a total of 4rushes and 1 reception. We all know what happened after that. Sometimes coaches mean what the coaches mean. Hill is a great buy low.

Rotoworld:

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website still expects Jeremy Hill to see upwards of 170 carries despite playing just ten offensive snaps in Week 1.OC Hue Jackson said "trust" played a huge factor in Giovani Bernard out-touching Hill 20-4 against the Ravens. He didn't feel comfortable playing Hill extensively in a hostile environment in his NFL debut. Jackson assured Hill after the game that he'll be playing more going forward. We're still somewhat high on Hill in re-draft, but Bernard was awfully impressive as the bellcow last Sunday.

Ha! This is the same Geoff Hobson that predicted Gio and Hill would both carry the ball 200 times. I proceeded to point out that Hobson wrote for the team website (not a local our nationally recognized news source) and that he failed to cite a team or league source for his statement. What did we see the first game? Gio is the primary back.

Ps: I've got both of them

Of course Gio is the primary back, but Hill's role will increase as he learns the system. Most teams realize that a rotation is the way to go these days, and Cincinnati has two really good backs. I don't think week 1 is representative of what their "ideal" usage will be as the season goes on.

Rotoworld:

Ha! This is the same Geoff Hobson that predicted Gio and Hill would both carry the ball 200 times. I proceeded to point out that Hobson wrote for the team website (not a local our nationally recognized news source) and that he failed to cite a team or league source for his statement. What did we see the first game? Gio is the primary back.

Yeah, Hobson has a motivation for his view. He is anchored on prior statements, and doesn't want to be wrong.

That said, the flip side is that Hill simply looks like the better runner. And he's also pretty good at pass protection and at catching the ball. So Hobson's assertion that Hill will increase his touches makes a lot of sense.

Rotoworld:

Yeah, Hobson has a motivation for his view. He is anchored on prior statements, and doesn't want to be wrong.

That said, the flip side is that Hill simply looks like the better runner. And he's also pretty good at pass protection and at catching the ball. So Hobson's assertion that Hill will increase his touches makes a lot of sense.
Good analysis. I'm holding him where I have him along with Kelce. Both had disappointing initial usage but in both cases postgame coach speak is that more touches are coming. And talent evaluations are high on both. Don't want to overreact to Week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread