What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fargo TV series on FX - season 3 starts TONIGHT 4/19!!! (1 Viewer)

Stupid question....

I'm watching on FX online and both episodes have repeated the exact same scene?  (Handoff between the Italians and blacks in E1/ shooting up the car outside the hospital in E2)..... I'm usually pretty observant on things like this.....but if it's not a glitch in the presentation, what's the point of it in the storytelling?  
I watched both episodes online & all kinds of goofy stuff going on.  repeat scenes,  film stopping altogether, black screen for awhile,  have to backtrack to get it to go forward at the right spot.   more so on the 2nd episode.   good luck.

no such thing as a stupid question.

I watched both episodes online & all kinds of goofy stuff going on.  repeat scenes,  film stopping altogether, black screen for awhile,  have to backtrack to get it to go forward at the right spot.   more so on the 2nd episode.   good luck.

no such thing as a stupid question.
Thanks.

I thought maybe in the first episode they were trying to show how the exchange went down from two different POVS (maybe with the narrative of history being written by the winners...they were showing us what people thought happened and what really happened)....but when they were exactly same; I thought if they were making some sort of artistic point....it was way over my head.  

This season wasn't as strong as the other ones, but I did enjoy the takes on the nature of truth. Varga's speech at the end summed up the series. He believed that people would believe whatever you wanted them to believe. He got Emmit out of jail by basically inventing a serial killer who was obsessed with murdering people named Stussy, a story that Gloria's boss believed because the explanation was easy and clean, even if evidence showed it wasn't true. There were a lot of little details, like when Emmit was meeting Sy and the widow at the restaurant, and he was concerned about showing up late after the death of Ray. Varga told him to just go to the bathroom immediately when he gets to the restaurant, then when he comes out of the bathroom, they'll assume he had been there a while. When the IRS guy showed up at Emmit's company to look at their books, Meemo pretends to be an attorney by simply arranging all his papers and pens in a similar way to the IRS guy and scares him off. Ray pretended to be Emmit in the sex tape, and Emmit's wife believed it.

The other thing they hammered us with is mistaken identity, which is tied to the nature of truth. From the opening scene, the East German official accuses a man of being someone he's not, and calls him a murderer. Ennis Stussy is killed only because his name and city of residence are so close to Emmit Stussy. Ennis wasn't even Ennis -- he apparently took that name from a toilet brand in an effort to become someone other than a sci-fi novelist who got duped by some con man in Hollywood. Nikki dropped an A/C unit on Maurice's head and got away with it because the apartment she was renting was under a fake name. The deputy kept calling Gloria "chief" even though she wasn't the police chief anymore (and she seemed to work out of a police station that was really a library). Ray pretended to be Emmit in the sex tape. A man confesses to killing all the Stussy victims, even though he had nothing to do with it. In the end, Varga is arrested while going under a different name, suggesting that perhaps Varga isn't his real name, either. The ambiguous ending means it's up to the viewer to decide who he sides with: Varga's world view or Gloria's?
Surprised you missed the scene in the police station/library where the Cossack straight tells the other guy that he isn't really there in front of him.   

Great season.  I only just watched it this week.  It helped to be a little removed from the other seasons and not seeing anything great on TV in awhile.  The ending was a little disappointing, but the above post helps put it into a more satisfying perspective.  And I usually like ambiguous endings.  

Best performance I've seen from Ewan.  

Surprised you missed the scene in the police station/library where the Cossack straight tells the other guy that he isn't really there in front of him.   

Great season.  I only just watched it this week.  It helped to be a little removed from the other seasons and not seeing anything great on TV in awhile.  The ending was a little disappointing, but the above post helps put it into a more satisfying perspective.  And I usually like ambiguous endings.  

Best performance I've seen from Ewan.  
Man, I have absolutely no recollection of ever writing any of that. Like, at all. Moreover, I pretty much have no recollection of anything in season 3, so the post you quoted may as well have been written by someone I've never met, analyzing something I've never seen. 

Episode two was much better than one imo. Wasn’t nearly as slow.
I've enjoyed them both and liked the pacing.  From a visual standpoint, I can just sit back and watch without a lot of plot advancements.  At times I think I'm watching a collab between Paul Thomas/Wes Anderson.  

me too, but I think that is the point.  I doubt whether things end well for him.  A loose cannon usually gets corralled, just a matter of when & how much carnage it has wreaked. 
Oh I understand the point of the character. His acting takes me out of the scenes instead of "drawing me in",. Ymmv
He reminds me of an Italian tough guy wanna be version of Rod Farva from Super Troopers.

I keep waiting for him to ask for a liter of red wine.

yeah, we kinda of tired of bigass bullies who never stop pacing & fretting & fuming over new ways to intimidate and expose & exploit frailty and get their face up front all the time...

I'm not sure what I saw last night.

Did we see a ghost?
initially thought it was gonna be a living-in-a-mortuary thang, until it appeared to the girl's aunt. i know eastern Europeans believe in families being haunted cuz i had a gf who was "grabbed" several times by a cold hand from the "other side" and claimed she had inherited the haunting from her late Serbia-born mother. who knows what they'll do with it - they never resolved the UFO thing from two seasons ago

Watched the first episode, it was ok. All I see when Rock is on screen is Rufus from Dogma. I'll probably wait til all the episodes are out and binge it, but Im not putting my expectations high for this season.

Did we see a ghost?
twice

ETA: Wait, 3 times.... on the stairs in the opening scene - Ethelrida actually saw that one.  She did not, however, see the one behind her in Oraetta's closet. And I forgot about Mr. Sandman coming out of the tub... no idea what that was about, but like the fish falling out of the sky, that may be the last we see of it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought this week was very good.. Love how they have so many different story lines going, and yet they tie them all in together..

The money smelling, which gave away where it was from was, well... :moneybag:

Am i the only one who has Rock as the weak link in this season? I don't get one atom of malevolence from his portrayal and am half waiting for those at the short end of his diatribes to break out laughing. Just no weight to it or sumn...

I've loved all the past seasons, but this one has been a snoozefest for me so far.
kind of agree that this season seems to be building little longer than the others. i'm ok reserving judgement until the next episode. with how this episode (ep. 5) ended, if we don't get fireworks next episode it will be pretty disappointing

Am i the only one who has Rock as the weak link in this season? I don't get one atom of malevolence from his portrayal and am half waiting for those at the short end of his diatribes to break out laughing. Just no weight to it or sumn...
I thought the same thing the first two episodes, but that has now changed.  Rock has had a handful of scenes in a row where his true character is coming out.  It's been slowly escalating.  From cutting Rabbi's hand (Irishman), the way he stood up to Odis (a white police officer) and even belittled him by telling his war story - going as far as yelling BOOM! at him multiple times, then sitting at the Smitny's table and making the mom cut the just made birthday cake for the Italian kid he has before telling them about exchanging his own son for power and making them give up her sister.  That's cold all the way around.

Those were all great scenes, but my favorite Rock scene thus far was in his own home when his wife was pissed that their oldest son was in jail (and beat up) and she was going to get him.  Despite multiple statements by him that it was being handled, she persisted and began to escalate by mentioning the youngest being with the Italians, the girls upstairs, etc.  All the while her mom was chiming in with consistent "mmm, hmmm"s in the background.  When he finally snapped and finished by telling her to take off her coat and to make him some ####in' coffee you could feel his strength and determination.  You could also feel his complete authority when he yelled back at his mother-in-law by snapping, "Can I get an mmmm, hmmmm?" I laughed out loud. Damn that scene was perfect Fargo.

Patience.  I think he's about to go batsh*t crazy.  Could be an interesting ride.  

I’m getting more “weird” than menacing or malevolent from Olyphant and Swartzman too.

The weak link is Salvatore Esposito/Gaetano. He's hot garbage in every scene he's in. Bad choices, and awful to let it continue.

So gout guy in hospital is dead, right?  Another notch in the nurse's belt.  

Not much progress w/ the funeral home folks this week.  

Still enjoying it.  Bloodshed is coming.  

mr. furley said:
this season is missing that one standout character that past seasons have had.

everyone is kind of .... milquetoast
It definitely seems to have more of the story spread between characters this year. Italians (and brother vs brother), Blacks, Rabbi and the boy, Ethel and family, the Nurse, the 2 Outlaws, the 2 Lawmen. Am I forgetting anyone? 

I'm not really sure what the point of the Nurse is right now. Seems she's had less screen time the past couple of episodes. Couldn't Ethel just have been involved with the 2 Outlaws? Unless I'm missing something totally obvious, which I may be. 

I'm still enjoying the show and am excited to see how it all shakes out. 

Once again I didn't care for the nurse part. At least they got her scene out of the way at the beginning I guess. 

Episode seemed to fly by. Smart move by Loy. 

farfromforgotten said:
Once again I didn't care for the nurse part. At least they got her scene out of the way at the beginning I guess. 

Episode seemed to fly by. Smart move by Loy. 
I'd be curious too what the actual run length was of this episode. Did seem like it had a ton of commercial time. Plus, there's all the walking around with no dialogue and just ominous string music which takes up about half the episode too.

Users who are viewing this thread