What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Eric Ebron, PIT (2 Viewers)

If he's the future the future is bleak. He needs more than 6 targets or he needs to be option 1 in the red zone to have any chance at special. He's neither. 

Milkman said:
If he's the future the future is bleak. He needs more than 6 targets or he needs to be option 1 in the red zone to have any chance at special. He's neither. 

We ####### get it, bro. Jesus. You're marked as an "I told you so" if he sucks. It's marked down. In sharpie. Solid. You can leave it alone. Every time he sucks everyone knows how amazingly smarter you are then everyone. It's in the boos. You can stop. We all get it. 

We ####### get it, bro. Jesus. You're marked as an "I told you so" if he sucks. It's marked down. In sharpie. Solid. You can leave it alone. Every time he sucks everyone knows how amazingly smarter you are then everyone. It's in the boos. You can stop. We all get it. 
Yeah that's not going to happen when guys tag me in the thread and call me a dirty piece of toilet paper. Sorry you lost today and missed the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI for anyone who, like me, was toying with the idea of using him this week because the Giants supposedly can't guard the TE: I looked up the FFPA game-by-game breakdown on Yahoo (fantastic info, for those who haven't yet discovered it) and I don't see it. TEs who have had big games against the Giants this year: Rudolph, Ertz, Eifert, ZMiller, Green. In other words, most of the good TEs they've faced, but not, notably, Jordan Reed, who went 4/56/0. And of those, only Green was really huge (6/110/1). Basically, it's the exact chart you would expect to see for a team that is middle-of-the-pack in terms of defending TE (13th in standard scoring).

Maybe Ebron returns to fantasy relevance this week, but if so, it's not because of the cake match-up.

FYI for anyone who, like me, was toying with the idea of using him this week because the Giants supposedly can't guard the TE: I looked up the FFPA game-by-game breakdown on Yahoo (fantastic info, for those who haven't yet discovered it) and I don't see it. TEs who have had big games against the Giants this year: Rudolph, Ertz, Eifert, ZMiller, Green. In other words, most of the good TEs they've faced, but not, notably, Jordan Reed, who went 4/56/0. And of those, only Green was really huge (6/110/1). Basically, it's the exact chart you would expect to see for a team that is middle-of-the-pack in terms of defending TE (13th in standard scoring).

Maybe Ebron returns to fantasy relevance this week, but if so, it's not because of the cake match-up.
The Giants have given up the 11th most FFP to TEs in most full PPR formats. Breaking that down, they've given up the sixth most catches (73) and fifth most yards (860.) Where they have excelled is in only giving up 3 TDs - only five teams have given up less. Of course, EE hasn't had a receiving TD since Week 1.

The trend is not your friend here - 31st over the last 3 weeks, 23rd over the last 5 weeks. BUT....

The Cowboys have given up the 6th most FFP to TEs. While not relevant to most leagues, the Packers the 8th most, so Ebron might have a strong finish to his year.

He averaged less than 4 targets per game as a rookie, exactly 5.0 his 2nd year, and exactly 6.0 this year. 7 TDs in 37 career games. I know we love to say TDs are variable, but seems fairly predictable in this case. He's just not enough of a RZ thread. His biggest plays last year and this year were busted coverages where there was no one within 20 feet of him. You just don't see him bust tackles or juke people to turn short passes into long gainers. He still drops too many IMO.

He's competent but not really special in any way. Maybe in a year or two he'll have a 120 target season and the volume will warrant considering him a top 5 TE. On the current roster, I'd judge he's around #5 on Stafford's list of most trusted targets. Golden > Marvin > Anquan > Theo; but if it's third down or in the RZ, Boldin all the way.

The Giants have given up the 11th most FFP to TEs in most full PPR formats. Breaking that down, they've given up the sixth most catches (73) and fifth most yards (860.) Where they have excelled is in only giving up 3 TDs - only five teams have given up less. Of course, EE hasn't had a receiving TD since Week 1.

The trend is not your friend here - 31st over the last 3 weeks, 23rd over the last 5 weeks. BUT....

The Cowboys have given up the 6th most FFP to TEs. While not relevant to most leagues, the Packers the 8th most, so Ebron might have a strong finish to his year.

He averaged less than 4 targets per game as a rookie, exactly 5.0 his 2nd year, and exactly 6.0 this year. 7 TDs in 37 career games. I know we love to say TDs are variable, but seems fairly predictable in this case. He's just not enough of a RZ thread. His biggest plays last year and this year were busted coverages where there was no one within 20 feet of him. You just don't see him bust tackles or juke people to turn short passes into long gainers. He still drops too many IMO.

He's competent but not really special in any way. Maybe in a year or two he'll have a 120 target season and the volume will warrant considering him a top 5 TE. On the current roster, I'd judge he's around #5 on Stafford's list of most trusted targets. Golden > Marvin > Anquan > Theo; but if it's third down or in the RZ, Boldin all the way.
All this when they really don't have an elite offensive option. It doesn't bode well for his future either......

He's definitely lost red zone looks to Boldin. His TD rate when fit last season was much better and he seemed to get more looks. He's still been very useful between the 20s this year and has had some catches I didn't think he was capable of. I can see an improvement there, although past 1-2 games there's been a couple of drops. 

Agree that he doesn't seem to have the athleticism or freakishness to turn passes into big plays. I think he's actually been very solid, but this last point is the most disappointing aspect to me. For a top ten pick, he just seems very ordinary after the catch. 

He's definitely lost red zone looks to Boldin. His TD rate when fit last season was much better and he seemed to get more looks. He's still been very useful between the 20s this year and has had some catches I didn't think he was capable of. I can see an improvement there, although past 1-2 games there's been a couple of drops. 

Agree that he doesn't seem to have the athleticism or freakishness to turn passes into big plays. I think he's actually been very solid, but this last point is the most disappointing aspect to me. For a top ten pick, he just seems very ordinary after the catch
Yep, and when you give the roster an honest evaluation, just how many Pro Bowl players do they have? Stafford, Slay, Ansah when he's healthy. We don't know if Levy ever will be again. Tate is an effective gadget receiver, they get a lot of big plays out of him, but he's not truly special. Marvin can go deep but for what they pay him I don't think he's a game changer. Haloti and Anquan are awesome vets, good in spots and excellent leaders off the field. But there's just honestly not a lot of talent on either side of the ball. They have good schemes, don't make mistakes, don't miss tackles or take stupid penalties, and have excelled in Special Teams.

Point being is that it's not like they depend on individuals to rise up and have extraordinary production. It's not like the coaches are game planning like "Dude, you're the best in the league at what you do, we're gonna keep going back to the well over and over again." He's JAG, he's just one piece of many that make it work. He's C.J. Fiedorowicz, e.g., they could have gotten the same thing two rounds later.

ESPN's Michael Rothstein wrote the Lions "might end up overhauling" the tight end position this offseason.
Eric Ebron has improved each of his three years in the league, but Detroit will have to decide whether to pick up his fifth-year option this offseason, and they could use more help at the position either way. The Lions can make their "big splash" by targeting a top-of-the-market option like Martellus Bennett in free agency or using a first-round pick on an elite prospect like Alabama's O.J. Howard or Miami's David Njoku. Either way, it will not be surprising if Ebron faces competition for targets come September.

Source: ESPN 
Feb 23 - 10:04 AM

Lions exercised TE Eric Ebron's fifth-year team option for 2018.

This was not a no-brainer for Detroit. Ebron has gotten consistently better each year, but he has yet to play more than 14 games and has scored just seven touchdowns total in three seasons. With the option guaranteed for injury only, the Lions can still get out of the deal next spring if Ebron fails to take another step forward this season. Detroit added Toledo TE Michael Roberts in the fourth-round, but he is more of a blocking complement than a replacement for Ebron.

Source: Lions on Twitter

Eric Ebron said he was "really banged up" last season.

"I was pretty beat up, man, from the things you might know of, to the things you don't," Ebron said. "I was pretty destroyed." The tight end missed three games with knee and ankle injuries, but it sounds like he was dealing with more than what was on the injury report. Following an offseason of rest, Ebron says he feels "great." The former No. 10 overall pick has improved each season, but he has yet to play more than 14 games. If he can stay healthy, Ebron could be in for a breakout campaign.

Source: MLive.com 
May 4 - 10:55 AM

Seems like them picking up his option can only be seen as a vote of confidence. I think people are vastly underrating him. High draft pick, better production each year, at a position that is known for having slow starts to careers. Buy buy buy.

His TD's sucked last year and weren't much better his first two years. But 700 yards in 13 games is pretty good at TE. For me, he's a buy low if I didn't already have 4 TE's on the roster

mikel2014 said:
Seems like them picking up his option can only be seen as a vote of confidence. I think people are vastly underrating him. High draft pick, better production each year, at a position that is known for having slow starts to careers. Buy buy buy.
Agreed.  I have to think if he were a free agent in your league, he'd be a mid second round rookie pick just behind Howard but before the other two big TEs this year. 

Agreed.  I have to think if he were a free agent in your league, he'd be a mid second round rookie pick just behind Howard but before the other two big TEs this year. 
Fwiw, we're doing a 12 team auction right now.  Ebron went for the same price as Everett and butt currently are going (they have time left) and about half the price of Engram/Howard/njoku. 

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said Eric Ebron "just keeps getting better."
"Every single year when you look at his output, he’s improved," Caldwell said. "If he improves at the same rate he’s improved the last two years, it’s going to be a pretty outstanding season for him." Outside of touchdowns, Ebron's production has risen each of his three years in the league, and he was able to set career highs in receptions and yards last year despite missing three games and struggling through others with knee and ankle issues. Injuries have been a consistent concern for Ebron, however, and any "breakout" will have to come with improved health. For what it is worth, Ebron says he feels "great" coming out of the offseason.

Source: ESPN 
May 13 - 10:28 AM

I can't quit this guy. Loved him since he came out, so maybe I'm biased. But he seems like a solid pick at his current ADP as the 10th tight end. Without getting injured, I can't see how he doesn't exceed that draft status.

Everybody's bitter that he hasn't lived up to lofty expectations, but as posters above have said, he's only 24. Tight ends usually take a while. I personally haven't given up on his upside. Anyhow he's a good value even if he repeats his numbers from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he's still on an upward trajectory and can stay healthy because it's been a long, slow road with him.
He's been roughly a year behind what I viewed as his schedule. I figured year one was a wasted roster space, at best late in season he could contribute. Most TE's who get decent playing time take a leap in year two or they never do. He technically almost doubled his year one to two production so in that respect it gave me some comfort that he was taking the natural progression that most successful fantasy TE's take but what his production last year was more what I expected in year two.

Drops and nagging injuries remain an issue with him but he already showed a solid floor IMO as TE11 in TE premium PPG scoring and tasked with less blocking I do think he has upside to move into middle of the top 10 range. I think he'll always have some drop issues, but if he's healthy I think the positive plays he can make will outweigh the painful lost production from the drops.

I can't quit this guy. Loved him since he came out, so maybe I'm biased. But he seems like a solid pick at his current ADP as the 10th tight end. Without getting injured, I can't see how he doesn't exceed that draft status.

Everybody's bitter that he hasn't lived up to lofty expectations, but as posters above have said, he's only 24. Tight ends usually take a while. I personally haven't given up on his upside. Anyhow he's a good value even if he repeats his numbers from last year.
Yep, he's still ahead of Greg Olsen's first three years.  Granted he's on a better team.  

61 for 711 in only 13 games.  Works out to 75 for 875 over a full 16, or #6 for TEs in receptions and #4 in yards.  The obvious drawback to his production last year was the lack of TDs - he only had 1.  They haven't yet resigned Boldin, who had 8.  Give Ebron (the tallest viable receiving option on the team) a few of those, and he's can be in the top 5 this year. 

I still say Ebron is just another Jared Cook. You could do worse, but he's an inconsistent player that doesn't play up to his measurables. I was disappointed to see the Lions pick up his fifth-year option. 

61 for 711 in only 13 games.  Works out to 75 for 875 over a full 16, or #6 for TEs in receptions and #4 in yards.  The obvious drawback to his production last year was the lack of TDs - he only had 1.  They haven't yet resigned Boldin, who had 8.  Give Ebron (the tallest viable receiving option on the team) a few of those, and he's can be in the top 5 this year. 
True on TDs.

Fwiw his 71.8% catch rate combined with 11.7 y/r and 4.7 r/g isn't bad at all.  Those stats put him around Witten and cobb, a yard and a half behind kelce and a reception behind Jarvis Landry.

I still say Ebron is just another Jared Cook. You could do worse, but he's an inconsistent player that doesn't play up to his measurables. I was disappointed to see the Lions pick up his fifth-year option. 
Cook started a total of 6 games his first 3 years and really didn't have the talent EE does.  I get what your saying about the consistency but I vehemently disagree with your first sentence.  Maybe I'm just a frustrated titans fan but cook never lived up to, nor deserved the hype.  (I'm as guilty as anyone of being hopeful with him)

It's not all about talent all the time. Opportunity counts for a lot. Just ask LeGarrette Montez Blount.

Maybe. Cook was an elite athlete that wasn't very productive in college. Ebron was a good athlete that produced at a very young age in college. Cook had 435 yards total by the age of 23. Ebron is at 1496 yards and on a better career arc than Jared Cook. I am not totally convinced Ebron is going to be more than a 800-5 type guy, but it's still a realistic possibility. 

Cook started a total of 6 games his first 3 years and really didn't have the talent EE does.  I get what your saying about the consistency but I vehemently disagree with your first sentence.  Maybe I'm just a frustrated titans fan but cook never lived up to, nor deserved the hype.  (I'm as guilty as anyone of being hopeful with him)
The so-called talent is all on paper. It has to translate to the field consistently, and it simply doesn't for Ebron. Like Cook, he is a threat to score an 80yd TD or drop a wide-open look. And like Cook, Ebron is an athletic move TE that can run fast but can't catch. Cook actually runs faster than Ebron if you go by 40 yd times. 

The so-called talent is all on paper. It has to translate to the field consistently, and it simply doesn't for Ebron. Like Cook, he is a threat to score an 80yd TD or drop a wide-open look. And like Cook, Ebron is an athletic move TE that can run fast but can't catch. Cook actually runs faster than Ebron if you go by 40 yd times. 
Among the things I look for in a TE, 40 time is rather low.  Dropped passes is much more of a problem, and he did drop 7 last year and that must improve.  

But you say EE can't catch?  He caught 71.8% of his targets.  That's better than Boldin, tate, or any lion other than the RBs and he had almost identical y/r as golden tate. (Marvin Jones did better)

I won't argue against cook too much considering his playoff stretch was great.  But I'll absolutely take EE to have a better career.

A great stat for Ebron is yards per game. He's steadily increased his yardage year over year from 19 to 38 to 54.  This shows his improvement from year to year and with the absence of Anquon Boldin he should be more productive in the red zone.  His big aberration among TEs is his low TD count.  

Ebron is healthy, and the Lions got some blocking TEs so Ebron can be more in a receiving role.  Also, they signed his 5th year option which shows faith in him long term.  I'd be shocked if he wasn't a top 8 TE this year (assuming he plays 13 or more games).

A great stat for Ebron is yards per game. He's steadily increased his yardage year over year from 19 to 38 to 54.  This shows his improvement from year to year and with the absence of Anquon Boldin he should be more productive in the red zone.  His big aberration among TEs is his low TD count.  

Ebron is healthy, and the Lions got some blocking TEs so Ebron can be more in a receiving role.  Also, they signed his 5th year option which shows faith in him long term.  I'd be shocked if he wasn't a top 8 TE this year (assuming he plays 13 or more games).
Along those lines, he has steadily improved his yards per game, yards per reception, catch percentage, receptions per game, even his long reception every year.  The only stat he didn't improve was TDs. (Maybe drops too but PFR doesn't include that stat)

Eric Ebron said he is "overly excited" about his tweaked 2017 role.

"It's going to be fun for me," he added. Ebron previously said his 2017 usage will allow him to "do the things that I'm best at," which means stretching the field in matchups with linebackers and safeties. Ebron should also be far more involved in scoring position, where Anquan Boldin hogged a team-high 22 red-zone targets last season and Ebron drew just six. Still only 24 years old, Ebron is this year's most obvious breakout candidate at tight end.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio 

Jul 10 - 3:58 PM

I'm buying on Ebron as a potential breakout candidate this year.

When healthy, he was pretty productive from a receptions/yards standpoint last year at age 23. It was the lack of TDs that really stood out and made him seem like a disappointment. 

But Anquan Boldin doesn't look like he'll be back in Detroit, which could be huge for Ebron. Boldin was actually 4th in the entire NFL with 22 red zone targets last year. You have to think a pretty good chunk of those go to Ebron in 2017. 

I'm buying on Ebron as a potential breakout candidate this year.

When healthy, he was pretty productive from a receptions/yards standpoint last year at age 23. It was the lack of TDs that really stood out and made him seem like a disappointment. 

But Anquan Boldin doesn't look like he'll be back in Detroit, which could be huge for Ebron. Boldin was actually 4th in the entire NFL with 22 red zone targets last year. You have to think a pretty good chunk of those go to Ebron in 2017. 
Or Kenny Golladay...

I'm an Ebron fan, and fantasy owner, but his breakout has been prophesied for the last 3 years, I'll believe it when I see it.  If he can stay healthy, and work on his rapport with Stafford, he has a lot of upside this year.

One waiting for Ebron's break-out season have some pretty high expactions for a tight end. Dude had 711 yards in 13 games. I don't know if that's a break-out season, but you could certainly do worse in the 9th round of your draft.

Not to mention his numbers should improve. His YPT of 8.4 exceeded Golden Tate's suggesting to his coaches he should have a bigger peice of the pie, more than 84 targets that is. And his 1 TD screams regression to the mean. Most importantly, there's reason to believe he hasn't reached his potential. He came in young and his position notoriously develops slower than the other skill positions. Not saying he definitely will, but there's still a chance he could blow up.

Or Kenny Golladay...

I'm an Ebron fan, and fantasy owner, but his breakout has been prophesied for the last 3 years, I'll believe it when I see it.  If he can stay healthy, and work on his rapport with Stafford, he has a lot of upside this year.
Last year was pretty good. Anyone that was expecting him at 21 or 22 to break out, doesn't understand the TE position. 

Or Kenny Golladay...

:shrug: He is only running one year behind my projected pace of statistical growth. Everyone should have expected year one to be a lost year and what he did in his third season last year was just really a little better than what I would have thought he'd do in year two. The only season he's failed to live up to my expectations was his second season, where he showed growth but not as much second year growth as I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread