What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Eric Ebron, PIT (3 Viewers)

Is it crazy to think this guy has value this season with the streaming possibilities out there? What are those of you who drafted Ebron doing with him as of now? Holding? Already dropped him? I'm inclined to think that JB will lean heavily on the TE at some point. But that could easily be false and that TE could easily be Doyle. Is there hope? 

Is it crazy to think this guy has value this season with the streaming possibilities out there? What are those of you who drafted Ebron doing with him as of now? Holding? Already dropped him? I'm inclined to think that JB will lean heavily on the TE at some point. But that could easily be false and that TE could easily be Doyle. Is there hope? 
With funchess on ir I like him a lot more than I did earlier in the week.  And that's coming from a dynasty owner who was ready to throw in the towel.

With funchess on ir I like him a lot more than I did earlier in the week.  And that's coming from a dynasty owner who was ready to throw in the towel.
Good point. Thats a decent team with a stellar O-line. I tend to think he's a better option - or at least just as good - as the WW fodder as it stands right now. And if Mack has any consistency from week to week those underneath routes are going to open up and you'd think the goal line as well. 

Ebron is healthy and he played 40% of snaps.  Doyle played 68% of snaps.  Those snap count totals probably aren't going to change unless there is an injury.  It's hard imagining Ebron doing much with Brissett at quarterback and that few snaps.  A tight end with 40 catches and 6 touchdowns is borderline worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was disappointed with the target share.  But I will wait a few weeks to see how everything shakes out.  Week 5 I will re-evaluate. For now I am holding.   

Ebron is healthy and he played 40% of snaps.  Doyle played 68% of snaps.  Those snap count totals probably aren't going to change unless there is an injury.  It's hard imagining Ebron doing much with Brissett at quarterback and that few snaps.  A tight end with 40 catches and 6 touchdowns is borderline worthless.
Ebron can`t block so Doyle will most likely continue to get most of the snaps.  

Eric Ebron caught 3-of-4 targets for 25 yards and one touchdown in the Colts' Week 2 win over the Titans.

Ebron was gifted an easy score near the goal-line when the Colts' used a fancy shovel pass to scheme open their tight end. With the Jacoby Brissett at quarterback, Ebron will be even more touchdown-dependent in fantasy because he's only seen three and four targets in his first two games. Next week's matchup with the Falcons at home is a good one, but he's still only a TE2.

Eric Ebron caught 1-of-5 targets for a 48-yard touchdown in the Colts' Week 4 loss to the Raiders.

Ebron saved his fantasy day with his garbage time touchdown, but three of his missed connections were drive-killing drops. Speaking afterward, Ebron used an expletive to describe his performance. Ebron now has just eight catches for 128 yards and two touchdowns at the season's quarter pole. Especially today without T.Y. Hilton, the Colts have needed more. Despite his Week 4 misadventures, Ebron will be an upside TE2 for Week 5 against the Chiefs.

Sep 29, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

Eric Ebron caught 4-of-5 targets for 70 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Week 7 win over the Texans.

Ebron provided two highlight plays in the span of about five minutes, first hurdling a Texans defender to pick up a first down after catching a crosser, before later capping the drive off with an absurd one-handed catch in the back of the end zone from four yards out. The Texans struggled to stop Ebron, T.Y. Hilton and Zach Pascal alike on crossing patterns for most of the afternoon. Continue to treat Ebron as a touchdown-dependent low-end TE1 for next week’s home matchup against the Broncos.

Eric Ebron caught 5-of-12 targets for 56 yards in the Colts’ Week 10 loss to the Dolphins.

Ebron had a chance for a short touchdown on the offense's first drive, but had the pass ripped out of his hands for an interception. The offense did seem to make an effort to get him more involved after the TE complained to the media about his lack of reps earlier this week, and Ebron responded in crunch time with a tough 23-yard catch late in the fourth quarter. Still, both Ebron and Brian Hoyer failed to come through for most of the afternoon. It’s tough to expect much of anything out of this passing offense while Jacoby Brissett (knee) remains sidelined. Treat Ebron as a touchdown-dependent TE2 in Week 11 with our without the Colts’ starting QB.

Eric Ebron caught 4-of-5 targets for 44 yards in the Colts' Week 12 loss to the Texans.

Ebron's ankle might have remained an issue, as Pro Football Focus charted him as playing barely 40 percent of the Colts' snaps for the second consecutive week. Embarrassingly, Ebron still led the Colts in both catches and yards. Jack Doyle's 28 came in second in the yardage department. Ebron now has 10 days to heal up for next week's hosting of the Titans. He will be better treated as a TE2 than TE1 for that one.

Nov 22, 2019, 12:12 AM ET

Colts GM Chris Ballard said, "We'll probably move on" when asked about impending free agent Eric Ebron.

The Colts appear willing to enter 2020 with Jack Doyle and Mo Alie-Cox as their top-two TEs. Ebron should have a decent market of teams that could use a big-bodied receiver that is capable of lining up all over the formation. Overall, Ebron spent as much time in the slot (152 snaps) and out wide (69) as he did as a true inline TE (102). Drops have always been a bit of a problem, but Ebron is just one season removed from scoring 13 touchdowns.

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Jan 2, 2020, 10:38 AM ET

Colts GM Chris Ballard said, "We'll probably move on" when asked about impending free agent Eric Ebron.

The Colts appear willing to enter 2020 with Jack Doyle and Mo Alie-Cox as their top-two TEs. Ebron should have a decent market of teams that could use a big-bodied receiver that is capable of lining up all over the formation. Overall, Ebron spent as much time in the slot (152 snaps) and out wide (69) as he did as a true inline TE (102). Drops have always been a bit of a problem, but Ebron is just one season removed from scoring 13 touchdowns.

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Jan 2, 2020, 10:38 AM ET
I don't understand this, unless he wants more money.  I hated the drops, but IMO he's still the best TE on the team.

I don't understand this, unless he wants more money.  I hated the drops, but IMO he's still the best TE on the team.
He is the best TE on roster.  There is bad blood now between Ebron and the team after the miscommunication/quitting/medical ignorance that happened at end of year.  

To clarify before my point gets misconstrued, the miscommunication could have happened by both sides.  

The Colts can better spend that money elsewhere. Doyle is not the athlete that Ebron is, but he is more than adequate. Indy can find a young move TE in the upcoming draft.

Ballard has made it pretty clear they are moving on from Eric Ebron. This team has lots of holes to fill and a high priced diva @ TE is not part of the solution.

Signed by the Steelers on a 2 year deal

Steelers signed TE Eric Ebron to two year, $12 million contract.

Ebron has received plenty of grief over the years after his underwhelming seasons with the Lions and penchant for dropping passes, but there's plenty of talent here. Still just 26 years old, Ebron is just one season removed from scoring 13 touchdowns with Andrew Luck under center in 2018. A new QB and various injuries sunk Ebron's chances at putting together a productive 2019 campaign. The drops are also a bit overstated. Overall, Travis Kelce, Jared Cook, Dawson Knox, Mark Andrews and Zach Ertz join Ebron as the only TEs with double-digit drops over the past two seasons. Not a bad group to be apart of. The key question surrounding Ebron's 2020 fantasy value is whether or not he'll receive a full-time role over Vance McDonald.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 20, 2020, 1:16 PM ET

Eric Ebron will have now played with:

Stafford

Luck

Roethlisberger

Dude has no excuses for not having a better career when he hangs up his cleats.

Eric Ebron will have now played with:

Stafford

Luck

Roethlisberger

Dude has no excuses for not having a better career when he hangs up his cleats.
He's been a bust relative to where he was drafted, but not a bust overall.

1x Pro Bowl, 2x 700+ receiving yards, still in the league after 6 years

It's probably about right in line with the average 1st round TE.

If he had gone 25th-30th in the draft, nobody would talk about him as a flop. The issue is that they took him top 10 overall and he hasn't been elite tier.

He's a good player, just not a great one. BTW, I don't think Stafford is an elite QB.

He's been a bust relative to where he was drafted, but not a bust overall.

1x Pro Bowl, 2x 700+ receiving yards, still in the league after 6 years

It's probably about right in line with the average 1st round TE.

If he had gone 25th-30th in the draft, nobody would talk about him as a flop. The issue is that they took him top 10 overall and he hasn't been elite tier.

He's a good player, just not a great one. BTW, I don't think Stafford is an elite QB.
They took him over OBJ. That will always stick out.  (Not to mention Aaron Donald)

barackdhouse said:
That will do. Pittsburgh is a great landing spot, IMO. 
You are right.

Pitt is a great landing spot for fantasy.   And also one I will avoid like the black plague.

There is but one Steeler I will own this year, and thats JuJu. Hopefully my leaguemates don't see this and JuJu comes at a deep discount.

Of course, everything depends on JuJu and Big Ben BOTH being healthy....... and thats a bit of a parlay I reckon.   :)

TZM

Ryan Pace must hate Ebron. Last time Ebron was free Pace elected to throw $32M for 4 years at Trey Burton while Colts wrapped up Ebron days later for 2 years at $15M. Now here again Ebron is free and Pace rushed to pay the corpse of Jimmy Graham $16M for 2 years while Ebron goes $12M for 2 years a few days later.

Ryan Pace must hate Ebron. Last time Ebron was free Pace elected to throw $32M for 4 years at Trey Burton while Colts wrapped up Ebron days later for 2 years at $15M. Now here again Ebron is free and Pace rushed to pay the corpse of Jimmy Graham $16M for 2 years while Ebron goes $12M for 2 years a few days later.
Seriously. I really don't mind the Foles trade but Graham kind of ticks me off. Ok actually I wish they'd got Bridgewater. 

What is the deal with Ebron then? Is he a head case? The drops issue is way overstated IMO. There has got to be something more than that. 

-OZ- said:
They took him over OBJ. That will always stick out.  (Not to mention Aaron Donald)
Right, but he is still a pretty good player. That was my point.

He may not be what he was expected to become, but he's not garbage either.

He's had a relatively solid career overall, just not enough to justify the top 10 pick.

Seriously. I really don't mind the Foles trade but Graham kind of ticks me off. Ok actually I wish they'd got Bridgewater. 

What is the deal with Ebron then? Is he a head case? The drops issue is way overstated IMO. There has got to be something more than that. 
I don't think there has to be a big glaring red flag. The simple reality is that he's a whisker above a journeyman level starter at the NFL level, and the job security/stability will never be the same for that type of player as it is for an upper echelon Pro Bowler. The league is competitive. Money is scarce.

The fact that anyone still wants you six years into your career is a positive, overall.

I don't think there has to be a big glaring red flag.
I think he has a reputation as being immature, not taking the game seriously enough and being a little me first. Maybe not a glaring red flag but as I was pointing out earlier when the two times he's reached FA players I view as being pretty inferior  and a little to a lot older were first wave free agent signings and twice he's had to wait a few days for that second wave and came a little cheaper. Sure he's had some drop issues and blocking is not his strong skill set but I think this has had more to do with his demeanor.

But to your other point about him not being that bad just bad relative to expectations of where he was picked. Yes, agree totally.

This was pretty well known when Ebron went on IR.  It just looks like someone else is bringing it back up.

The colts claim no knowledge of severity of Ebron's ankle.  Ebron claimed team doctor's were injecting him before each game.  One side is not being truthful.  

It was made clear after he went on IR that Colts had no interest in keeping him.

Wow, surprised as Ebron seems the opposite of a Steeler/Tomlin type of player. Pretty much known as a Twitter idiot ala AB.

Eric Ebron said he is still not 100 percent following his late-season ankle operation. 

Ebron landed on injured reserve following Week 12 and underwent surgery soon thereafter. “If the season started today, I don’t think I’d be able to 100 percent perform," Ebron said. "But we don’t play today.” Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Ebron has yet to be examined by the Steelers, though they were satisfied enough with his evaluation by an independent doctor to go ahead with a two-year, $12 million contract. Leaving one crowded tight end room for another, it's not a guarantee that Ebron will bounce back to low-end TE1 status in 2020. 

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 

Apr 2, 2020, 3:08 PM ET

He's had a relatively solid career overall, just not enough to justify the top 10 pick.

The simple reality is that he's a whisker above a journeyman level starter at the NFL level
I think these two sentences directly contradict each other.  He hasn't returned 2nd round value to any of his teams, much less top 1st round value.

I think these two sentences directly contradict each other.  He hasn't returned 2nd round value to any of his teams, much less top 1st round value.
If you're still in the league 6 years after you were drafted and you've made a Pro Bowl, you aren't a "bust" in the true sense of the word.

If they had taken him 15 picks later, nobody would talk about the pick. It's only in the context of being a top 10 guy that he's an eye sore.

"Solid NFL starter" is a pretty good outcome for almost any draft pick but you'd hope for a little more from the top 10-15 slots.

Eric Ebron (ankle surgery) said he has resumed "running and cutting with no pain."

Ebron revealed in early April that he was still not 100 percent, but he tweeted Thursday that he has officially passed his physical. Ben Roethlisberger has a long history of involving his tight ends in the Steelers' passing attack, though Vance McDonald does remain following his disappointing 2019. For now, Ebron should be considered a high-end TE2 with elevated touchdown potential. There will be room for more depending on how Steelers camp unfolds. 

SOURCE: Eric Ebron on Twitter 

May 14, 2020, 5:28 PM ET

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly has been highly impressed by Eric Ebron's performance in Steelers camp. 

Per Kaboly, "too many times" Ebron has "outrun linebackers and safeties down the middle of the field in one-on-one routes." Ebron's athleticism isn't breaking news, but it is obviously good news that he has been impressing in camp. He should bounce back as a touchdown-based TE2. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 1, 2020, 5:29 PM ET

Steelers beat writer Nick Farabaugh said TE Eric Ebron will be used all over the formation and could be heavily targeted this season. 

Farabaugh posted on Twitter that Ebron allowed the team "to feel comfortable going to 5 WRs since he’s almost like another himself." He added Ebron would "be flexed out all over the field as a mismatch chess piece. Ebron’s going to get a lot of targets and looks this year." There's reason to believe Ebron will be deployed as the team's pass catching tight end, as Vance McDonald ran a pass route on a lowly 41 percent of his 2019 snaps. Ebron has regularly run routes on more than 70 percent of his snaps. He could emerge as an every-week fantasy option in 12-team leagues sooner rather than later. 

RELATED: 

Vance McDonald

SOURCE: Nick Farabaugh on Twitter 

Sep 6, 2020, 5:44 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread