What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports a "wide-receiver needy team picking in the top 10" has Texas A&M's Mike Evans ranked ahead of Clemson's Sammy Watkins.
Profootballtalk reported Thursday morning that the Raiders are believed to prefer Evans to Watkins, so it's a good bet they're Schefter's team. Evans' media-perceived stock has been soaring in recent days, but Schefter reports it would "floor everybody" if he came off the board before Watkins. In addition to the Raiders at No. 5, the Browns at No. 4 are a possible landing spot for Johnny Manziel's No. 1 receiver.

Related: Sammy Watkins
The Jaguars would also qualify as a "wide-receiver needy team picking in the top 10", and what a surprise that could be if they picked Evans over Watkins!
Rotoworld:

Appearing on NFL Draft Kickoff, NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reported the Jaguars have "keen interest" in Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.
Darlington added the Jaguars "covet" the big-bodied receiver. With Justin Blackmon not expected to contribute in 2014 and possibly on the outs in Jacksonville, the 6-foot-5, 231-pound Evans would be an ideal complement opposite deep threat Cecil Shorts. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier Thursday that a "receiver-needy" team in the top ten has Evans ranked higher than Sammy Watkins.

Related: Jaguars

I actually like the direction the Jags are headed and Blackmon produced there. I'd feel better about Jax than, say, Oakland.

What do people think of Evans in TB?
It's pretty meh. He's a Vjax clone (size wise) with worse lateral ability. Who is going to be throwing the ball?I think it will limit him because he lacks versatility. He's a one trick pony. And the guy who's the guy there knows all his tricks, but better. I don't like the Chicago comparisons. Jeffrey was much more of a complete WR than Evans is currently.

ETA: Not a lock anymore for 1.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Buccaneers selected Texas A&M WR Mike Evans with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Evans (6-foot-4 3/4, 231) left A&M following his redshirt sophomore year after posting a combined 151-2,499-16.5-17 stat line across two seasons. He'll be a 21-year-old rookie. Johnny Manziel's go-to guy, Evans relentlessly made contested catches in heavy traffic in the SEC, and has field-stretching speed (4.53), incredibly long arms (35 1/8"), and a 37-inch vertical. A standout youth basketball player who averaged 18.3 points per game as a senior at Galveston (TX) high, Evans' natural ball skills are the best in this draft. Also a strong run blocker, Evans is most commonly compared to new teammate Vincent Jackson. He offers WR1 potential in Dynasty leagues and should push for 8-10 TDs as a rookie. The Bucs are remaking Josh McCown's "Twin Towers" wideout duo from Chicago with 6-foot-5 Jackson opposite Evans.

He should benefit from playing in a better climate than if he would have been taken by the Browns or Bills.

His qb seemed to like throwing to tall WRs last year, so I could see that being a good spot for him. Plus v-Jax is still respected enough by secondaries that he should limit the double coverages for Evans.

Buccaneers grab Mike Evans with seventh overall pickBy Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers still don't know their quarterback of the future. However, they sure have a sweet pair of wide receivers waiting for him.

The team selected Mike Evans with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 draft. The Buccaneers had the chance to draft Evans' partner in crime, Johnny Manziel, but they decided they couldn't pass Evans up.

This is one pre-draft rumor that came true. We heard repeatedly that the Buccaneers were intrigued by Evans' physical play and deep playmaking ability. He's great at attacking the ball in tight spaces. In many ways, Evans reminds us of Vincent Jackson. Now the two will play together in one of the most dangerous wide receiver duos in the league.

This is a nice start for the Lovie Smith-Jason Licht era. (This is the first draft for Licht, the Bucs' general manager.) Lovie loves his defense, but the Bucs had far bigger needs on the offensive side of the ball. With Evans, Jackson and running back Doug Martin, the Buccaneers have some promising talent at the skill positions. Evans was the most explosive player left on the board, and the Buccaneers found a nice match of talent and need.

This is a roster that could contend for the playoffs in 2014, even with Josh McCown starting at quarterback. Look for Tampa to draft a quarterback to develop in the second or third round.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Tamps is going to take Beckham over this guy.

Put it in your notebooks.
Tamps is going to take Beckham over this guy.

Put it in your notebooks.
It looks like Tampa took this guy so you can erase that out of your notebooks LOL come on guys... Evans is Alshon 2.0 but closer to Calvin skill level top 10 dynasty wr in any format.
Alshon? Calvin? Maybe looks like them given his size. He doesn't play like them though.

@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Remember...comps use pre-draft info for all players - current prospects are compared only to past *prospects*. NFL careers not considered.
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Ranked first by tier, and then within tier. Assumes all positions have equal value.
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

#1 to #5: Elite Prospects with Clean Profiles
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

#1 Mike Evans: Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, Ladarius Green

Per Rotoworld:

Mike Evans is working out with Brandon Marshall in Miami.
There may not be a better current NFL player for Evans to learn from. Coming out of Texas A&M, Evans (6'5/231) was most often compared to Marshall (6'4/230) and new Bucs teammate Vincent Jackson. Evans could flirt with double-digit scores in year one and is widely viewed as the No. 1 pick in rookie drafts. Jul 2 - 4:39 PM

Mike Evans is now widely viewed as the #1 rookie pick? Interesting.

Per Rotoworld:

Mike Evans is working out with Brandon Marshall in Miami.
There may not be a better current NFL player for Evans to learn from. Coming out of Texas A&M, Evans (6'5/231) was most often compared to Marshall (6'4/230) and new Bucs teammate Vincent Jackson. Evans could flirt with double-digit scores in year one and is widely viewed as the No. 1 pick in rookie drafts. Jul 2 - 4:39 PM

Mike Evans is now widely viewed as the #1 rookie pick? Interesting.
Nah, Watkins still goes 1st in the vast majority of drafts. This news about working out with Marshall is exciting though.

maybe true, but few drafts that have gone down so far have Evans picked first. I am not saying who is right, just the results I have seen so far.

maybe true, but few drafts that have gone down so far have Evans picked first. I am not saying who is right, just the results I have seen so far.
I wouldve been one of them, if the guy w no2 wasnt a diehard Bills and Watkins fan.

Traded down and stole an extra first off him.

#KnowYourLeague

Rotoworld:

Mike Evans - WR - Buccaneers

Mike Evans is focused on losing "7 to 10 pounds" before the season begins.

"I've got to lose more weight. I'm too heavy right now," Evans said. "But the workouts I've been doing, I'll be fine. I'll be ready." Evans weighted 231 pounds at the Combine after playing at about 235 in college. He hopes to hover around 230 in his first season in the NFL.

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Jul 3 - 1:28 PM

It's been a little bit quiet on Evans as of late, especially with respect to some of the other WRs. Anyone have any new tidbits, or change how they value him, especially in dynasty?

Rotoworld:

Mike Evans spent a "good part" of Sunday's practice lining up inside.

At 6-foot-5 with incredibly long arms, Evans didn't play inside at Texas A&M and it's not where he wins. But the Bucs are at least giving it a look, a sign that they'll be creative with the No. 7 overall pick. "Most of the nickel backs (in this league are short), so it's a pretty good matchup for a guy like Mike to be inside," coach Lovie Smith said.

Aug 11 - 10:45 AM

I was sweating Cooks (having that 5,000+ yd QB) w no real competition for the ball

But, too error is Human..

This is the guy you want, and you want to watch play (unless he ripping up your fav team) LOL

Rotoworld:

Mike Evans spent a "good part" of Sunday's practice lining up inside.

At 6-foot-5 with incredibly long arms, Evans didn't play inside at Texas A&M and it's not where he wins. But the Bucs are at least giving it a look, a sign that they'll be creative with the No. 7 overall pick. "Most of the nickel backs (in this league are short), so it's a pretty good matchup for a guy like Mike to be inside," coach Lovie Smith said.

Aug 11 - 10:45 AM
Interesting. Maybe trying out using him in a way similar to Jimmy Graham?

I was sweating Cooks (having that 5,000+ yd QB) w no real competition for the ball

This is the guy you want, and you want to watch play (unless he ripping up your fav team) LOL
So you still like him more than Cooks? A lot of people like him as the #1 WR this year.

So you still like him more than Cooks? A lot of people like him as the #1 WR this year.
Sorry, meant that a lot of people have Evans as their #1. But, am also hearing that people are taking Cooks over Evans or Watkins at times... Just curious.

I believe "reputable" Gurus' will state for fact that Sammy Watkins is the defacto #1 "Dynasty player" who happens to be a WR However I believe some (select few) will show a liking to Evans.

I honestly don't know much about Cooks, but I think he could be in a lot worse situations..

http://youtu.be/WePfE_Y4dyM You don't have to watch it, just know its titled " Mike Evans: Offense is Choreographed and All You Need to Do Is Get The Ball " I must say I enjoyed the outstanding play in College, and almost disappointed to hear about perfect routes etc. Im hoping to see Big Mike going up and grabbing the ball

Good to read some positive news on Evans. With all the positive reports from Camps regarding Watkins, Cooks, Benjamin and Matthews, it is easy to understand the knee-jerk reactions of some toward Evans and Beckham, especially in redrafts. As a dynasty owner, however, I still have Evans solidly at #2, behind only Watkins.

In recent rookie dynasty drafts, where have people seen Evans going? Has the lack of recent hype caused his stock to drop? Has he dropped behind Hyde and Sankey? Cooks? Benjamin?

Cooks at #1? Not me. I have Cooks and I'd trade him for Evans in a minute.
Watkins, Cooks, Benjamin IMO. As much as I want to love Evans as a Bucs fan I like these 3 better.
Wow. You talking over a career here, correct? What about year 1? Roughly the same?
I really dislike Evans in redraft. The Bucs could have the worst O-line in the league right now.
I've thrown about "reversion to the mean" in at least one other Bucs thread this offseason IIRC, but I'll say it again here.

How atrocious was the Tampa Bay passing attack last year? Their total of 2,820 pass yards was 1.60 standard deviations below the league average. I didn't want to go back to the dawn of time to prove a quick point, but in the past 5 seasons, only 7 other teams have finished 1.5 SD or more below the mean in this stat.

Six of the seven got at least halfway back to league average the following season, with an average improvement of 1.3 SD (and that's after excluding Peyton's first year with the Broncos as an outlier). If the Bucs post a similar improvement, they'll put up about 600 more pass yards this year than last. Those yards (plus BMW's and Underwood's) are gonna have to go to someone not named Vincent Jackson.

I think Evans is being slightly overdrafted in redraft simply because rookie WR's usually are, but he's someone I'd have my eye on if he fell a round or so past his current ADP.

Last year was last year though. New coach, new starting QB, new TE, healthy Martin, I think what the bucs did (or didn't do) last year has zero bearing on this year. I'd say the same with Washington (healthy RG3 and Reed, 2 new WRs, new coach, etc.)

Seeing his play in last nights preseason game last night has me convinced he is going to be a star in this league...

Good to read some positive news on Evans. With all the positive reports from Camps regarding Watkins, Cooks, Benjamin and Matthews, it is easy to understand the knee-jerk reactions of some toward Evans and Beckham, especially in redrafts. As a dynasty owner, however, I still have Evans solidly at #2, behind only Watkins.

In recent rookie dynasty drafts, where have people seen Evans going? Has the lack of recent hype caused his stock to drop? Has he dropped behind Hyde and Sankey? Cooks? Benjamin?
I had a draft start last Sunday. I had the 3rd pick. Went Watkins and cooks. Then I happily took Evans.

crickets in here....why is it so quiet? He's flying faaaar below the radar and I've heard a lot about John Brown in AZ, Matthews in Philly, Watkins in Buff, Cooks in NO, and Benjamin in Car...all of which were drafted after him (except for Watkins). Has he looked ok in preseason, throughout camp?

Evans is a fantastic prospect but he carries a bit more risk than Cooks imo. I struggled with deciding between the two for about a month. I ultimately went with Cooks because I feel he is walking into the perfect storm. Elite QB + aging WR1 (colston) + No double teams because of Jimmy + established elite high powered offense + Tons of vacated targets with the departure of Sproles. He's going to get some carries too. It was a tough decision and one I might have made incorrectly. Time will tell.

crickets in here....why is it so quiet? He's flying faaaar below the radar and I've heard a lot about John Brown in AZ, Matthews in Philly, Watkins in Buff, Cooks in NO, and Benjamin in Car...all of which were drafted after him (except for Watkins). Has he looked ok in preseason, throughout camp?
Way too much overreaction from preseason games so far. These guys are barely playing a quarter per game. That said, I see Evans having a Michael Floyd start to his career. He won't be the man until 2017 when VJax is a FA.

Cooks at #1? Not me. I have Cooks and I'd trade him for Evans in a minute.
Watkins, Cooks, Benjamin IMO. As much as I want to love Evans as a Bucs fan I like these 3 better.
Wow. You talking over a career here, correct? What about year 1? Roughly the same?
I really dislike Evans in redraft. The Bucs could have the worst O-line in the league right now.
I've been drafting several rookies after round 10. The WRs are weak then and I like the hope, boom bust the rookies give this year-the year of the WR at the NFL draft.

I'm not used to so many WRs going in round 1 and 2 but usually draft with stud RB folks. I don't usually draft rookies in redraft, but it's hard to avoid the rooks this year.

Last night, the Giants rook that hasn't even really practiced much went in round 19. I got sniped, but I didn't draft Jernigan because the rook kills his value and I dare you to find a better value that late.

John Brown was round 16 or 17.

I think Watkins was round 10 and Evans 12.

Round 1 and 2, really thinned the WR pool in an "unnatural" way IMO. I tell ya by round 15, if not sooner, the cupboard was bare.

Q have you done any drafts of mocks where you felt similarly?

Way too much overreaction from preseason games so far. These guys are barely playing a quarter per game. That said, I see Evans having a Michael Floyd start to his career. He won't be the man until 2017 when VJax is a FA.
I wouldn't mind this as it may give me the chance to buy him cheap from impatient owners.

Users who are viewing this thread