What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (2 Viewers)

Anyone have 2015 projections for him?

Some questions to think about when drawing them up:

Did he draw #1 or #2 coverage last year?

What kind of coverage will he draw this year?

Will he surpass VJax in targets?

How many TDs will the team throw this year?

What is a realistic % of those TDs for him to catch? (hint: 33% is elite)

Personally, I expect him to be overdrafted just like every player who has a TD aberration the year before. The overdrafting is even worse when the player is young.

For dyno i have him as high as wr 5-6 depending on how high you still are on AJG and how high you are on OBJ which would round out my top 7 arguably in any order after dez, dt, Julio, brown

Last edited by a moderator:
Highest rated rookie WR from last season for me. Yes, above OBJ (though, admittedly, they're 1a/1b and can be exchanged without you having to give me reasons why)

I just prefer the size/skill/height that Evans offers, and feels it's a "red zone guarantee".

Evans is a joy to watch... SHould be fun to see Crab Legs tossing him the rock

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Mike Evans, Tampa Bay BuccaneersSpeaking of basketball traits, Evans is a stretch forward in cleats. A standout hoops player who averaged over 18 points per game in high school, Evans effectively translates his hardwood skills to the gridiron, boxing out smaller cornerbacks and repeatedly coming down with 50-50 balls. Beyond his 6-foot-5 frame, Evans takes full advantage of freakishly long arms, a 37-inch vertical, big hands and uncanny body control for a 230-pound receiver.

There's more to his game, however, than the impressive ability to high-point deep balls and end-zone fades. Evans has the footwork of a cat burglar in tight spaces, coming within inches of several more back-corner touchdowns and spectacular sideline plays. He has deceptive speed for a man of his prodigious size, showing field-stretching verticality and a rare combination of nimbleness and physicality after the catch.

Although Evans boasts the skill set of an "X" alpha dog, he handled plenty of the high-percentage, run-after-catch slants, crossers and bubble screens typically associated with smaller, quicker "Z" receivers.

It bodes well for Evans' chances of superstardom that he finished 18th in receiving yards and fourth in touchdown receptions with a greenhorn play-caller and a pair of mediocre quarterbacks constantly under duress.

The Question: How will he fare against top corners?

While Beckham, Sammy Watkins and Kelvin Benjamin were waging weekly battles with elite cornerbacks, Evans feasted on the mismatches and blown coverages provided by inferior defensive backs during his feverish November stretch when he channeled Randy Moss' 1998 season. For all of Evans' talent, there's no reason to believe he won't be successful once he overtakes or succeeds Vincent Jackson as the wide receiver most respected by opposing defenses. The question is whether Evans can sustain the same level of production against more physical coverage, especially if officials begin cracking down on his trademark push-offs.

Comparison: Harold Carmichael Lite

Rotoworld:

Mike Evans - WR - Buccaneers

Mike Evans has been lining up exclusively as the Bucs' No. 1 X receiver in offseason workouts.

With Vincent Jackson getting up there in age and taking on a more Brandon Marshallian role in the slot and as the Z receiver, Evans has taken on perimeter, high-pointing, deep-ball duties at X after manning the Z spot as a rookie. Coming off a 12-score year one, the sky is the limit for Evans with a quarterback upgrade in Jameis Winston. Even with the rookie under center, Evans has WR1 upside.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Jun 16 - 9:36 PM

Haha, the "footballguys view" today...

[SIZE=12pt]There's no reason to think his numbers couldn't be as good--or perhaps even better--this season. [/SIZE]
You know, other than the flukey ratio of TDs to receptions, his flukey % of total team receiving TDs, and the rookie QB... but other than that, no reason.

Haha, the "footballguys view" today...

There's no reason to think his numbers couldn't be as good--or perhaps even better--this season.
You know, other than the flukey ratio of TDs to receptions, his flukey % of total team receiving TDs, and the rookie QB... but other than that, no reason.
Any reasonable person expects his TD% to decrease, but his receptions and yards should increase, so I'm not really sure what your point is. When a 6'5" stud comes into the league scoring TD's, its not unreasonable to think he's probably really good at scoring TD's, even if the rate is unsustainable.

He does look good but I sold him before his game this weekend in a PPR dynasty

Gave: evans, Allen Robinson, Kelce

Got: lacy, Stacy, a. Davis
Hindsight, yes, but "ouch".
Man....we all make bad deals in hindsight, but that one might just make me reconsider what I'm doing in this hobby, period. Sorry Archer, bad luck there, but I think it was a bad deal at the time as well.

Mike Evans suggested quarterback play kept him from doing even more as a rookie.

Evans caught 68 balls for 1,051 yards and 12 touchdowns with Josh McCown and Mike Glennon as his quarterbacks. "The quarterback would just look me off, and then I'd be dead," Evans said. "And I didn't understand, because I always think I'm open. Just throw that thing up." Now Evans has an upgrade in Jameis Winston, the Julio Jones "X" role in Dirk Koetter's offense and is still sharply ascending at age 22 (in August). The ceiling here is sky high.

Source: USA Today Jun 29 - 9:39 AM

Mike Evans suggested quarterback play kept him from doing even more as a rookie.

Evans caught 68 balls for 1,051 yards and 12 touchdowns with Josh McCown and Mike Glennon as his quarterbacks. "The quarterback would just look me off, and then I'd be dead," Evans said. "And I didn't understand, because I always think I'm open. Just throw that thing up." Now Evans has an upgrade in Jameis Winston, the Julio Jones "X" role in Dirk Koetter's offense and is still sharply ascending at age 22 (in August). The ceiling here is sky high.

Source: USA Today Jun 29 - 9:39 AM
Any Bucs fan, or guys who tried to watch Evans as much as possible can honestly tell you, the QBs EASILY left about 3-400yds and 3-5 TDs on the field with piss poor throws while Evans was WIDE open.

It was sickening to watch.

Hmmm... This guy was just outside the top 10 last year. An additional 300 yards and 3 TD's would have put him between Dez and ODB at WR5. Where do people have him this year? Thinking a line of 75/1,200/10-12 is doable..

Man....we all make bad deals in hindsight, but that one might just make me reconsider what I'm doing in this hobby, period. Sorry Archer, bad luck there, but I think it was a bad deal at the time as well.
That's pretty harsh. We've all made bad trades. I'm sure there have been a lot worse trades than that. He got lacy after all. And you don't know the makeup of his team at the time.

That's pretty harsh. We've all made bad trades. I'm sure there have been a lot worse trades than that. He got lacy after all. And you don't know the makeup of his team at the time.
Yeah that's not even that bad compared to how a lot of trades look in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure you could go back a year and find just about any trade for Cordarrelle Patterson and it'd be 10x worse than this one in hindsight.

"Reconsider what he's doing in this hobby"? What a ridiculous statement.

Yeah that's not even that bad compared to how a lot of trades look in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure you could go back a year and find just about any trade for Cordarrelle Patterson and it'd be 10x worse than this one in hindsight.

"Reconsider what he's doing in this hobby"? What a ridiculous statement.
Can you guys read? I said "might make me reconsider what I'm doing in this hobby". As in if I made that trade, looking back on it would be soul crushing for me lol...it was obviously an exaggeration, but I didn't even say anything about him other than "sorry Archer, bad luck there, but I think it was a bad deal at the time as well".

Agreed. In RB heavy non-PPR leagues, that deal isn't that far off even now.

Sophomore WR encore: three to outperform their ADP

Excerpt:

Mike Evans, BuccaneersThere is a "been there, done that" factor here, as Mike Evans was a top-10 receiver in standard leagues last year. As a rookie, Evans rewarded owners who took him in the mid to late rounds last year as a solid contributor to their fantasy teams. However, it is fair to point out that the big receiver scored 44.1 percent of his fantasy points in three consecutive games midseason where he blew up for 458 yards and five touchdowns. Those contests came against the Browns, Falcons and Redskins -- none of whom fielded successful secondaries last year. In general, his season totals were inflated by, and his successful fantasy outputs dependent upon, touchdowns. Scoring 12 times, while impressive, is quite a difficult feat to replicate.

So, really, your approach to Mike Evans will be all about how you want to play the odds. The safe money is on him not replicating his touchdown production of a year ago. However, what many are overlooking is that Evans can still make good on his ADP even if he comes in short of 12 scores. Last year, he turned 123 targets into 68 catches and just over 1,051 yards. Not the sterling example of efficiency, but his teammate Vincent Jackson turned 142 targets into 1,002 yards and 70 catches with the same quarterbacks. There is no question who the better player is at this point, and we should expect Jackson and Evans' target totals to reverse this upcoming season. Jameis Winston is not likely to produce Andrew Luck level stats as a rookie, but he should improve the offense enough to give a boost to both of his top receivers. Improvement behind center should lift Evans' efficiency, and make any potential touchdown decline easier to manage. With this new quarterback, we should expect Evans to receive more targets, and improve on both his rookie yardage and catch totals.

With Winston opening things up, the Buccaneers should find themselves in the red zone and scoring position far more often. This should benefit Evans, who has the size, long arms and physical mindset to dominate in that area of the field. As a rookie, the majority of his touchdowns came on vertical routes where he streaked down the field and was asked to "just go get it". These type of routes required very little anticipation or touch from the quarterback, both of which are skills Jameis Winston is proficient in.

During his 40-touchdown season at Florida State, Winston made beautiful music with a 6-foot-5 target in Kelvin Benjamin. The two former Seminoles were adept at playing off each other's skill sets; Winston the aggressive passer, and Benjamin the "fight for the ball" receiver. As an NFL player, Winston will essentially be paired with the souped-up version of his former Florida State teammate, in Mike Evans. His abilities as a jump ball-in-traffic receiver align much more with the way Winston plays the game than the sideline streaking ways of Vincent Jackson.

As it stands today, Mike Evans is going as one of the first 12 wide receivers off the board in fantasy drafts. The expectations are that he will perform as a WR1. However, there is a catch. Evans comes in at the tail end of that discussion, and with many owners targeting running backs early, he rarely goes in the first two rounds. In fact, Evans currently carries a fourth round ADP in NFL.com leagues. All signs point to him returning value at that spot, and his special gifts as a wide receiver make him a strong candidate to score more like an early second round pick.

Ultimately, whether you draft Mike Evans or not is about how you want to play fantasy football. Sure, there are safer options for your top receiver. That approach can certainly make your team a very good one. However, if you want to take a player that will help you lay waste to the rest of your league and potentially dominate the competition, Mike Evans gives you that for a fair price.

His height, length, hands, strength and vertical are all a fluke.
Physical attributes are freaky. Just watched one set of his highlights and I'd like to seem him "pluck" the ball more. Maybe that was just this set of plays but with his size and positioning, maybe he hasn't had to... I value ODB above him but, other than the team/QB, this guy looks can't miss.

Jene Bramel@JeneBramel 28m28 minutes ago

Jene Bramel retweeted PewterReport.com

Going on three weeks without practice. May prove precautionary, but time to get concerned with Evans this week. https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/641672569976832000 …

Jene Bramel added,

PewterReport.com @PewterReport Mike Evans not participating in today's practice. If he can't go on Thurs. chances slim he suits up Sunday. 1st injury report out today
------------------------------
Craig Zumsteg@CraigZumsteg 11m11 minutes ago Another week, another "mild" injury looking decidedly less mild. Mike Evans not practicing. Can't see him starting Sunday.

Remember when Evans said he could have played if it were a regular season game?

Like Chris Harris says, "Don't believe anything a player or a coach says."

This is not encouraging, but Friday is the day that really matters.

Rather have him sit out instead of rushing back. What's the history with this injury for WR's? What's the worst possible scenario here?

Was really hoping this was just precautionary. Got Evans in the late 3rd and was excited. Hope this doesn't go on all season

Supposedly returned to practice today, but just a walkthrough.

Anyone trusting him if he plays on Sunday?
Remember last year when the Falcons trotted Roddy White out there on his bum hamstring instead of sitting him out a couple of weeks? He was basically a 210-pound roving decoy.

I think if Evans tries to go, the only people who are going to wind up happy are the V-Jax and ASJ owners.

From Rotoworld. Sounds promising.

Lovie: Mike Evans practiced and 'looked good'

After Mike Evans (hamstring, questionable) returned to Friday's practice, Bucs coach Lovie Smith observed Evans "looked good" running during the session.
Evans himself said he anticipated "no trouble" with his conditioning despite missing the back half of training camp. Although Friday's practice was described as a mere walkthrough, Lovie said Evans "was able to do some things," referring to football activities, and it's a good sign he was able to run, apparently at full speed. The article linked below indicates Evans is a good bet to start against the Titans.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-evans-practices-may-be-ready-for-sunday-opener-20150911/

By Roy Cummings | Tribune Staff
Published: September 11, 2015 | Updated: September 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM
TAMPA — The chances of Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans playing in his team’s season opener Sunday against Tennessee appear to be improving dramatically.

Evans, who has been out since the second week of the preseason with a hamstring strain, practiced on Friday for what is believed to be the first time since he went down with the injury.

Evans’ appearance at practice comes less than a day after Bucs coach Lovie Smith said the Bucs’ 2014 touchdown leader was “getting a whole lot better’’ and refused to rule him out for Sunday’s game.

“As a general rule, you would like for guys to practice all three days,’’ Smith said. “But if we have a good football player that doesn’t practice all week (who) gets up Sunday morning and says, ‘Hey, I’m feeling good,’ and we have a history with him, he’s going to play.’’

Evans was shut down for the last two games of the preseason after straining his hamstring during the Bucs’ 25-11 victory over the Bengals on Aug. 24. He said a week later he could keep playing if necessary but Smith said he won’t play Evans until he’s completely ready.

“I would never jeopardize our players, period,’’ Smith said Thursday. “If there’s a question of whether if we think a player isn’t ready or he hasn’t been cleared by the training staff, it’s not even a part of the conversation.’’

The Bucs’ first-round draft pick in 2014, Evans caught 68 passes for 1,051 yards and tied a team record with his 12 touchdown receptions.

Two other players remained sidelined, however. Defensive end T.J. Fatinikun (ankle) and cornerback Mike Jenkins (unspecified) sat out the early portion of Friday’s workout.

rcummings@tampatrib.com

Twitter: @RCummingsTBO

Sounds like they've already been super cautious with Evans and waited until the last day of practice to let him get some light work in. The Pats did the same with Edelman.

The choice now becomes whether to start him as my wr3 in ppr or to start robinson? Robinson seems safest, like a julian edelman play but if evans is truly healthy, this will be one of his best matchups of the year. What would you guys say? I'd feel more comfortable if Lovie would come straight out and tell us something

Users who are viewing this thread