What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Derek Carr, NO (1 Viewer)

Was looking forward to rolling him but I think he's a sit in this wind tomorrow 
Should I pick Garappolo for the spot start?

It's a big wind. Carr has a big arm.

Don't like Stafford's matchup, Rivers is a trash bag, the other half dozen QBs on the wire are all ranked outside the top 15.

ex: Newton is QB33 over the last 4 weeks. No thanks.

If he dies, he dies.

Don't like Stafford's matchup, Rivers is a trash bag, the other half dozen QBs on the wire are all ranked outside the top 15.

If he dies, he dies.
I've debated Jimmy G myself, rolling in him in DFS for sure.  My league its between him on the wire and Burrow, who also has weather and a banged up line.   

If he dies, he dies.
I did this. With Watson on bye, I had Carr pegged to start this week, but the weather scared me off. Seattle’s pass D is just atrocious. Great matchup for Jimmy. 

Wow, exactly the same situation, and same decision I came to.
As they say, strength in numbers lol. It’s a little unsettling that he’s been banged up and benched this season, but I need the upside as an underdog. Had Ridley and DJ Moore on Thursday so I’m in a hole. 

I have same scenario.  What is weather like in Seattle?
Looks nice. 50’s, no wind or rain. 
Literally have a little stomach upset thinking about starting Jimmy G. He can be so mercurial. That's why I loved Carr for the filler, nice floor this year.

Leaning Stafford this morning. Not a great matchup and he hasn't exactly been lights out but they are at home. The Lions are running the fewest number of plays in the league and Staff is consistently putting up 31-33 attempts. Plus they keep rolling out the world's oldest man at RB. Might win today but really not the volume Statpadford of the past.

Literally have a little stomach upset thinking about starting Jimmy G. He can be so mercurial. That's why I loved Carr for the filler, nice floor this year.

Leaning Stafford this morning. Not a great matchup and he hasn't exactly been lights out but they are at home. The Lions are running the fewest number of plays in the league and Staff is consistently putting up 31-33 attempts. Plus they keep rolling out the world's oldest man at RB. Might win today but really not the volume Statpadford of the past.
It’s a big dice roll for sure. I’d consider Stafford if he were available. He’s not an option for me unfortunately. 

Same same but Jimmy’s floor is literally the floor.

:shrug:

Found myself watching Ben Dinucci college tapes last night 

:lmao:
JMU alum here.  Don’t even think about rostering or starting Dinucci. Dak is still a safer play.  
Mostly watched his Pitt games. Not impressed.

He played better when he went down in class. Good athlete, at least he’s a better scheme fit than Andy, but I suspect he just doesn’t process information fast enough at the NFL level. Drifting off-topic a bit but this a dream game for Jim Swartz. Throw a bunch of different looks & bring some heat, gonna be a fun day for the Eagles defensive players.

Anyway, between 27 mph wind, Jimmy G in a good matchup, Cam looking lost rn, and Stafford at home, I think #9 is my highest floor. I’m a heavy favorite so just trying to do no harm here.

It’s a big dice roll for sure. I’d consider Stafford if he were available. He’s not an option for me unfortunately. 
guys guys

I'm a genius

if they ain't got a dome don't give 'em a home

rough day for a lot of passing games - basically everyone not name Mahomes is struggling

so glad we talked this through for once I made the right call

still a great year to stream Carr or plug him in for a bye, dude is ballin'

Derek Carr completed 15-of-24 passes for 112 yards and one touchdown in the Raiders' 16-6 win over the Browns.

Carr missed a wide open Henry Ruggs by approximately 15 yards down field early in the game, and the Raiders were scared to push things deep for the rest of the game with winds making a slight difference. A win is a win, but this was one of the sleepiest NFL games of the season. Josh Jacobs rushed 31 times, Baker Mayfield had no answers on the other side, and the Raiders walked out victorious. Carr is a weekly low-end QB2 play while playing decent but unspectacular football in what can be a run-heavy offense. The Chargers are up next.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
 Carr is a weekly low-end QB2 play while playing decent but unspectacular football in what can be a run-heavy offense.
It always amazes me on the slights on guys Rotoworld weren't high on.....but can't accept that they're much better than they thought they'd be. I remember they said Michael Turner was seemingly on his "last legs" with ATL for seemingly 2-3+ years per Rotoworld. :lmao:  Probably my favorite memory ever.....like you could tell the same writer always passed on Turner year-2-year.

I don't play FF this season, but someone chat me up how a guy with 5 of 7 games of multiTDs and only 1 game under 239 yards passing is somehow a "low-end QB2"  (I take that as in the area of QB24, like most, I assume)

It always amazes me on the slights on guys Rotoworld weren't high on.....but can't accept that they're much better than they thought they'd be. I remember they said Michael Turner was seemingly on his "last legs" with ATL for seemingly 2-3+ years per Rotoworld. :lmao:  Probably my favorite memory ever.....like you could tell the same writer always passed on Turner year-2-year.

I don't play FF this season, but someone chat me up how a guy with 5 of 7 games of multiTDs and only 1 game under 239 yards passing is somehow a "low-end QB2"  (I take that as in the area of QB24, like most, I assume)
Probably because one viewpoint is based on results and the other ROS projection? You know you and "The Rotoworld writer" can both can be right.

Rotoworld never makes in-season adjustments. It's just copy/paste week after week on their blurbs. 

Agree it's lazy but it's what they've done for years and years.

Derek Carr completed 16-of-25 passes for 154 yards in the Raiders' Week 10 win over the Broncos.

Carr attempted two passes in the fourth quarter because the Raiders entered the final frame with a two-score lead. Their rushing attack faced little resistance from Denver toward the end of the game so there was little need for Carr to drop back. He could have left the game with a touchdown but Darren Waller dropped a deep pass from Carr that would have been a walk-in touchdown. This is his third consecutive week under 200 yards. He faces the Chiefs next week so it's unlikely that his team will get to run on a massive lead to close out the game. Carr enters low-end QB2 territory in the more competitive matchup.

- Rotoworld

Derek Carr completed 22-of-34 passes for 215 scoreless yards and one interception before being pulled in the fourth quarter of the Raiders' Week 12 loss to the Falcons.

In total, Carr turned the ball over four times, losing three fumbles in addition to his interception. Carr was yanked from the game in the fourth quarter with over 10 minutes to play and the Raiders getting annihilated 40-6 on the scoreboard. It's an embarrassing performance from Carr after he lit the Chiefs up for 275 yards and three touchdowns last Sunday night in what was probably his best game of the season. This was easily his worst, as the Raiders lose a critical game and drop to 6-5. Carr will try to rebound next week at the Jets.

- Rotoworld

WTF!?

Going against the worst rated defense in the NFL.

A defense that gives up the Most fantasy points (#32) to QB’s and he has 0 TD’s and 4 turnovers!?

Just when I thought I had seen it all in fantasy football!!!

I blew this one.

WTF!?

Going against the worst rated defense in the NFL.

A defense that gives up the Most fantasy points (#32) to QB’s and he has 0 TD’s and 4 turnovers!?

Just when I thought I had seen it all in fantasy football!!!

I blew this one.
You and me both.   Like the Raiders, my playoff chances are slim.  

Derek Carr was forced from the Raiders' Week 15 game against the Chargers with a left groin injury and is questionable to return. 

Rolling to his right on 3rd-and-goal on the Raiders' second drive, Carr seemed to maybe have a lane to rush in it. Instead he quite visibly pulled his groin and hopped on one foot out of bounds. After a brief attempt to walk it off, he headed straight to the locker room. With their season circling the drain, the Raiders might be desperate enough to return Carr to the game, but there's a strong chance his healthy simply does not allow it. Marcus Mariota is the next man up. 

Dec 17, 2020, 8:45 PM ET

Derek Carr (groin) will not return to the Raiders' Week 15 game against the Chargers. 

Carr pulled up lame on a 3rd-and-goal on the Raiders' second drive and was immediately spirited to the locker room. That quick departure and halftime rule out bode poorly for Carr's Week 16 status against the Dolphins, though he will have nine days to get cleared (the game is on Saturday 12/26). Marcus Mariota is the next man up. Neither quarterback would crack the top 20 vs. the Dolphins' elite defense. 

Dec 17, 2020, 9:50 PM ET

Raiders coach Jon Gruden believes Derek Carr (groin) avoided a "real tear." 

However, Gruden expressed pessimism about Carr's Week 16 status. “I don’t believe it’s a real tear, but obviously if he can’t finish the game it’s got to be pretty significant,” Gruden said. Carr certainly had the looks of a player who thought he had suffered a problematic injury. Playing on Saturday in Week 16, the Raiders will issue their first Christmas week injury report on Tuesday. Right now, the smart money is probably on Marcus Mariota facing the Dolphins. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Dec 18, 2020, 1:02 AM ET

Speculation that he needs 2-3 weeks to heal so they'll just let him rest and roll with Mariota as the playoffs are (or seem to be) out of reach

Derek Carr (groin) was "limited" in Tuesday's practice. 

"We'll see how it goes this week," were coach Jon Gruden's words after both Carr and Marcus Mariota got in reps on Tuesday. It's a bit of a surprise after Carr could barely walk after being forced from last Thursday's loss to the Chargers. Our guess would be that it is Mariota under center on Saturday night against the Dolphins, but once again flaming out spectacularly down the stretch of the season, Gruden is a desperate man. Carr would not be a recommended QB2 if he gets the call at less than 100 percent vs. Miami's dominant defense. 

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter 

Dec 22, 2020, 4:10 PM ET

Derek Carr (groin) practiced fully Wednesday. 

That's an upgrade from his limited Tuesday practice. It would now be an upset if Carr did not suit up Saturday against the Dolphins. Those who picked up Marcus Mariota as a streamer for championship week will have to find an alternative if Carr fights through what looked to be a serious groin injury that knocked him out of Week 15's game against the Chargers. Carr would have a rough matchup against a stingy Miami defense. 

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: Tashan Reed on Twitter 

Dec 23, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

Raiders coach Jon Gruden is "optimistic" Derek Carr (groin) will start Saturday evening's game against the Dolphins. 

Gruden stopped short of guaranteeing Carr will go, but it sounds like only a setback could keep him out. "I am not going to let the cat out of the bag. Wanna make sure he's ok," Gruden said. "Both quarterbacks have prepared to play." Dual-threat Marcus Mariota would have been the better fantasy bet against the Dolphins' dominant defense. Playing at less than 100 percent health, Carr will be a last-gasp QB2 if he's indeed cleared. 

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter 

Dec 24, 2020, 4:42 PM ET

Derek Carr (groin) was left off the Raiders' final Week 16 injury report against the Dolphins.

In other words, he will be starting Saturday evening. Marcus Mariota will remain on speed dial after his impressive Week 15 relief appearance. Surely at well less than 100 percent health against one of the league's best pass defenses, Carr isn't much of a QB2 for the fantasy finals. 

SOURCE: Tashan Reed on Twitter 

Dec 24, 2020, 5:25 PM ET

Derek Carr completed 21-of-34 passes for 336 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 16 loss to the Dolphins.

Carr is typically thought of as a check-down heavy passer but he flipped that script versus the Dolphins' stingy secondary. Five of his completions went for more than 15 yards including a beautifully thrown deep ball to Nelson Agholor that was turned into an 85-yard score with the help of some Agholor YAC. Carr also hit Darren Waller on multiple long passes in tight coverage. If it weren't for Ryan Fitzpatrick's heroics at the end of the game, the narrative coming out of Week 16 would likely be that Carr carried the Raiders to a victory and a shot at the playoffs. Carr remains a solid QB2 option against the Broncos next week. 

Dec 27, 2020, 12:22 AM ET

Derek Carr completed 24-of-38 passes for 371 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in the Raiders' Week 17 win over the Broncos.

Carr led the Raiders to a comeback win on the final drive of the game. The Raiders (8-8) finished second in the AFC West and will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season. After a rebound 2019, Carr took another step forward this year, posting 4,103 yards with a 67% completion percentage and 27:9 TD/INT ratio. The yards were a career high and Carr also took less sacks (26) behind an improved offensive line. Las Vegas can get out of Carr's contract with only $2.5 million in dead money this offseason, but it would be a shock if they didn't bring him back. 29-year-old Carr is signed through 2022.

- Rotoworld

Las Vegas Review Journal's Vincent Bonsignore writes "multiple teams" are expected to pursue a trade for Derek Carr.

The Raiders "figure to at least listen", especially if offers include multiple first-round picks. Carr's contract is very tradable for both parties. He'd only cost the Raiders $2.5 million in dead cap if traded, and the acquiring team would have Carr for two years at about $20 million per season, all non-guaranteed. Carr finished eighth in expected points added (EPA) per dropback last season and will only be 30 years old in 2021. Bonsignore lists the Colts, Bears, Patriots and Washington as potential suitors, along with the Texans if Deshaun Watson is actually available. If Carr is dealt for draft picks instead of players, the Raiders could turn to Marcus Mariota, who is due $11.4 million this upcoming season, as their short-term answer. But the big dream certainly is to flip Carr and the Raiders' own first-round picks into Watson. 

SOURCE: Vincent Bonsignore on Twitter

Feb 2, 2021, 7:27 PM ET

Indy Star's Jim Ayello reports the Colts received a "pretty firm not available" from the Raiders when checking in on Derek Carr.

Before they traded for Carson Wentz, the Colts called the Raiders about Carr, who has been in the midst of trade discussions for seasons. While both are theoretically on the trade block, it's clear that the Raiders want to trade Marcus Mariota, not Carr this offseason. Analytically, Carr was a top-12 passer last season and has cap hits of just $22.1 million and $19.9 million over the next two years. A team will have to blow the Raiders away with an offer for Carr to be dealt.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Jim Ayello on Twitter

Feb 18, 2021, 3:50 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr is "in the Raiders' plans" for the 2021 season.

For what it's worth, that sentiment for Carr is what the Raiders shared with the Colts when the latter was reportedly checking in on Carr's availability before acquiring Carson Wentz. On the other hand, Rapsheet adds that there's been enough interest around backup Marcus Mariota that he's "not likely" to remain on the team. Carr, 30 in March, continues to offer league-average quarterbacking ahead of his eighth year in the league and remains due $42 million over the next two seasons. At this point, an organization would likely have to blow the Raiders away with a bounty of draft picks in order to have Carr moved.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 22, 2021, 3:12 PM ET

DEREK CARR QB, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders have done "extensive work" evaluating top quarterbacks available in next week's NFL Draft. 

We take "top quarterbacks" to mean Justin Fields, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones, since Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson are spoken for. Rapoport said if one of the top QBs slides beyond the tenth pick, the Raiders could pounce. There's no universe in which Fields, Lance, or Jones fall to the Raiders at No. 17; Vegas will have to trade up to nab one of the signal callers if they drop out of the top ten. While Rapoport described the potential Raiders QB being a "stash for the future," any of Lance, Fields, or Jones would immediately compete for the team's Week 1 starting job. 

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 23, 2021, 10:52 AM ET

Carr is going to be a top 5 fantasy QB this year.  

Ruggs is going to shine and take the top off defenses with his speed.  Edwards and John Brown are the perfect compliments to Ruggs' speed.  And all 3 of these guys makes Waller a nightmare to cover in the middle of the field.  Oh, and Drake is going to catch 75-80 balls this year as well.

The defense is going to be much improved but not great yet, meaning Vegas will still have to play catchup in the 4th quarter a lot this year meaning lots of passing.

Put it all together and Carr is going to be the man this year, at a fraction of the price people will pay for Mahomes or Allen or Jackson.

Positive waves baby

Carr is going to be a top 5 fantasy QB this year.  

Ruggs is going to shine and take the top off defenses with his speed.  Edwards and John Brown are the perfect compliments to Ruggs' speed.  And all 3 of these guys makes Waller a nightmare to cover in the middle of the field.  Oh, and Drake is going to catch 75-80 balls this year as well.

The defense is going to be much improved but not great yet, meaning Vegas will still have to play catchup in the 4th quarter a lot this year meaning lots of passing.

Put it all together and Carr is going to be the man this year, at a fraction of the price people will pay for Mahomes or Allen or Jackson.

Positive waves baby

Name checks out

Users who are viewing this thread