What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Derek Carr, NO (2 Viewers)

It looks like the coaches have unshackled Carr from that dink and dunk offense they had in the first four games. Carr threw for four TDs on a San Diego offense that had allowed only six passing TDs in the first five games. Not too shabby!

One writer compared Carr to a young Rodgers, and the more I watch both players I see comparisons. Carr has a long way to go to establish himself in that select company, but he is the most exciting thing to happen to the raiders to years.

It would be a nice way to end the season. Carr is starting to pull away from the pack as rookie QB of the year anyway. WR Doug Baldwin is a fan:

@DougBaldwinJr: The more I watch this film, the more I think Derek Carr of the Raiders is really really good.

A few weeks back another fantasy service compared Carr to a young Rodgers. Us Raider fans can only hope that comparison proves accurate, but he does have some similar traits. Get's the ball out of his hand quickly, not afraid to throw it down field, good pocket presence, mobile...

Let's see ow he react in a hostile environment this week.

This kid is legitimate. He's going to be a long-term starter for the Raiders.

If you need a dynasty QB of the future, he's your guy. I'd pick him up over trading for Bortles or Bridgewater right now.
Standing by this. I've seen nothing out of any of the rookies to convince me otherwise - I think Carr is going to end up the #1 QB in this draft class when it's all said and done.

This kid is legitimate. He's going to be a long-term starter for the Raiders.

If you need a dynasty QB of the future, he's your guy. I'd pick him up over trading for Bortles or Bridgewater right now.
Standing by this. I've seen nothing out of any of the rookies to convince me otherwise - I think Carr is going to end up the #1 QB in this draft class when it's all said and done.
hope you're right. traded Cutler for Carr and picks at the beginning of the season.

Rotoworld:

New coach Jack Del Rio called Derek Carr a "special young talent."

"He's got a really quick release, good decision maker; he's shown some of that grit we're looking for, some of that toughness, so he's a guy that we feel like we have an opportunity to build around," Del Rio said. Carr's numbers weren't great as a rookie (58.1 completion percentage, 21:12 TD-to-INT ratio, 76.6 passer rating), but his tape was often impressive for someone with zero talent around him and a midseason coaching change. Carr appears locked in as Del Rio's 2015 starter.

Source: jimrome.com
Feb 10 - 11:43 AM

Get him some tools to work with. Running game was a mess. Bright spot for him was Reviera at the te spot (not spectacular). Wr s were inconsistent. Give him a chance.

Re-drafting the 2014 quarterback class

Excerpts:

I watched more Derek Carr games than anyone on the list because I wanted to see more. He got a lot of credit early during the regular season for not being David Carr or JaMarcus Russell. The touchdown-to-interception ratio was misleadingly great at 21:12. His leadership skills were lauded. But the flashes of quality throws and real potential on the field were too rare.

Everyone points to Carr's supporting cast. They ignore that he was protected better than any of the rookies above. He settled too often for dump-off passes and was sometimes hesitant to pull the trigger on open receivers. The season appeared to wear on Carr, with some ugly performances down the stretch during which he looked gun-shy in front of the pass rush. The Raiders' offense was too often overwhelmed and barely operational.

There are plenty of tools to like. He can move and has a big arm. He showed toughness and an ability to go to his secondary read. Carr has a chance to stick, but he didn't show a lot of special traits as a rookie. And it will take something special to turn the Raiders' offense around.
It was surprising how hard you had to squint to see Carr's potential. It's there somewhere, but he's still such a projection. There isn't a big difference between him and Geno Smith at this stage.
It was amazing how often the snap exchange was a problem with Carr, whether he was under center or in shotgun.

Last edited by a moderator:
bumpman said:
Nice upgrade for Carr with the addition of Amari. More importantly, it reflects the team's commitment to help Carr develop. :thumbup:
Walford was a nice addition too. Not Amari level of course, but he's an upgrade at TE, especially if they plan to use double TE sets often, like the Eagles (new OC was 2014 Philly QB coach).

Any early rankings thoughts on Carr? I'm kind of hopeful he can be a serviceable QB2 and hit Flacco'esque numbers while showing he's about to make a bigger leap forward in year 3.

Rotoworld:

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Derek Carr has a right finger injury that "may require surgery," but that Carr remains "optimistic" about training camp.

Specifically, the injury is to Carr's ring finger. It explains Carr's absence from Tuesday's OTAs session, and is a major drag for a player who could have used a full offseason. Per Mortensen, Carr could miss the rest of OTAs. A firm timeline won't exist until Carr makes a decision on surgery, but there's zero reason to believe Carr won't be ready for Week 1.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

May 19 - 6:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders

Updating a previous report, Derek Carr is experiencing "numbness" in his right (throwing) ring finger.

The Raiders are giving Carr a break in hopes that rest and rehab will cure the issue, allowing Carr to avoid surgery. Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen, "nobody" in the organization "sounds overly alarmed for now." Carr seems likely to miss the remainder of OTAs, while his status for veteran minicamp in up in the air.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

May 20 - 8:26 AM

Rotoworld:

Derek Carr (hand) has yet to resume throwing.

Carr took snaps in Tuesday's OTAs session, but was on the sideline for passing drills. Carr isn't currently considering hand surgery, and he's expected to be back to full health by training camp. It's a story worth monitoring for Raiders fans, but not a major concern.

Source: Jerry McDonald on Twitter
May 26 - 2:32 PM

I just watched Carr's game SD and I'm impressed. I'm not sure what the final stats were but there was a lot of drops from his team.

His deep ball looks fine, he move and throw on the move. He can make all the throws and he will hang in the pocket and take a hit to try and make the throw. He doesn't stare down his receivers to bad and he did a decent job of looking off safeties at times.

The knock on him (for me) is that he doesn't throw until after his receiver IS open rather than releasing it before the receiver gets open. But in fairness his WRs didn't put in much effort to win at the point of the catch.

Edit: Just watched the St. Louis game. Yuck. A few terrible throws, didn't see open guys, DL got in the throwing lanes. Sacks. Picks. One of the two wasn't his fault at all and it actually might ve part of the reason he looks for the short safe stuff.

I can't help but think that better pass catchers though is going to make a big difference.

I'm a Carr believer now. In MFL10s he's pretty much always my 15th round pick. Cooper and Crabtree will be huge upgrades for him.

He's definitely a guy to take as a backup especially if you take a qb late where he has the upside to break into top 10-12 potentially.

All these quotes about Carr's love for Amari Cooper are fantastic but they have me really struggling to rate a rook WR for redraft.

I think it's a simple key thing for a young QB to have a fave WR he meshes with well.

They couldn't be more different.

The worst OL in NFL history probably a few times, and scary bad- like watching some new boxer fight the heavyweight champ. Cringe at all the hits and just oh so bad.

Jermaine Lewis, Jonathan Wells, Tony Hollings...in hindsight it's pathetic the talent they put around him AND how much we bought into the opportunity for FF. Billy Miller, Corey Bradford ugh.

After he got sacked 1000 times he was given the bonus of having Andre to throw to but he'd be covered by 30 defenders and we'd all know it was going there.

I always wondered if Carr would have been decent, if he'd have had a more normal career if Tony Boselli wasn't "done" and if they were more successful with their OL picks.

Late in his career, on the Giants, he was still a very very impressive QB. You could hear "that's david carr?" at camp and how he looked better than Eli and all sorts, but once the play ramped up wow was it creepy how bad he got. PTSD or somesuch from his beatings in HOU.

When he was drafted, he was yet another golden boy, but he spoke of his kid and seemed so very responsible for a young man. I really appreciated him then. I'm not going to advocate college players getting ladies pregnant but, there was some maturity and goodness to him that ya just don't really see in draft picks usually.

I have never seen a man take such a beating and hold back so much blame and anger and frustration. When I spoke to people about his Giants experience, they found it real interesting how much respect he was given day one from the players. He had 10k fumbles and 100k interceptions, but respect- that I found so interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread