What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Billy Hamilton Stolen Base Tracker (1 Viewer)

I'm glad the Reds suck, because I'd hate to have to even think of facing Hamilton in the playoffs. I feel like he's in the head of every Cubs starter.

Annual bump

He's been the model of consistency the past three years with 56, 57 and 58 SBs.   His OBP climbed by nearly 50 points to a halfway decent .321.  The improvement was almost exclusively against RHP--he's still hopeless against lefties.

If he can stay healthy and maintain a league average OBP, I could easily see him stealing 75.  He'll probably never be on one of my teams but a chase for 100 would be fun distraction for Cincinnati in September.  He'll turn 27 this season and doesn't seem to have a skillset that will age well.

If he can stay healthy and maintain a league average OBP, I could easily see him stealing 75.  He'll probably never be on one of my teams but a chase for 100 would be fun distraction for Cincinnati in September.  He'll turn 27 this season and doesn't seem to have a skillset that will age well.
Rajah Davis disagrees

Davis has managed to maintain his SB into his 30s but he's never stolen as many bases as Hamilton has done in each of his three seasons.

If you look through the single season SB leaders, most speed guys had their best years in their 20s.  Rickey's last 70+ season was at age 30.  Only Lou Brock and Maury Wills had uber-elite SB seasons after age 30.  Brock's 118 SBs in 1974 at age 35 is an amazing feat.

For me, most exciting player in baseball. 

50+ steals again.  I think he has upside for mich higher run totals.  The HR/RBI drain is real though so you really need to understand scoring system and team construction to go down this road in fantasy.  At the end of the day though, one of the most likely guys to have a player rater score that beats his ADP  

With the retirements of Reyes and Ichiro, Hamilton moves to #5 on the active SB leaders list (#4 if Hanley's finished.).  He's tied with Cap Anson for #192 on the all-time list but another 30 SB season would move Billy past Lenny Dykstra, Rabbit Maranville and Vada Pinson.

I think a change of scenery will do him good.  He's 28 and could possibly settle into a Jarrod Dyson role.  Who knows, Billy may still have his career year ahead of him.

And he still has his own thread.

DFAed by the Royals

I think a change of scenery will do him good.  He's 28 and could possibly settle into a Jarrod Dyson role.  Who knows, Billy may still have his career year ahead of him.

And he still has his own thread. 
Maybe KC just had the wrong scenery

He's added power to his arsenal 
The Athletic did a story on Hamilton not too long ago. He talked about how since his very first day in professional baseball he was told to hit the ball on the ground and use his speed to leg out infield hits.

He admitted that he has lost a step in the last few years and thus following that strategy would put an end to his career, so he had no choice but to go up to the plate and swing as hard as he can, swinging with launch angle in mind, just like everyone else.

He'll never be a good hitter but if this new philosophy keeps him in the league for awhile longer, that's excellent. If he can get to the 2022 season, he will have ten years of service time, which is good for his pension. 

The Athletic did a story on Hamilton not too long ago. He talked about how since his very first day in professional baseball he was told to hit the ball on the ground and use his speed to leg out infield hits.

He admitted that he has lost a step in the last few years and thus following that strategy would put an end to his career, so he had no choice but to go up to the plate and swing as hard as he can, swinging with launch angle in mind, just like everyone else.

He'll never be a good hitter but if this new philosophy keeps him in the league for awhile longer, that's excellent. If he can get to the 2022 season, he will have ten years of service time, which is good for his pension. 
I can't believe we have had almost a decade of Hamilton. I remember entering into an established fantasy league with two other owners and we had an expansion draft to fill out our rosters for the upcoming season. I took Hamilton in the third round to stash on my minor league roster, because he has stolen 250+ bases the last two seasons in the minors.

Users who are viewing this thread