What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Robinson, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I got him in one league for Jeremy hill.

offered Jordan Mathews and Crow  in another league and was rejected.

Holy crap I really want to just cut this guy but can't quite bring myself to do it.  #### you Blake Bortles for sucking so bad.

He was on my avoid list in every league I did, since I didn't think he would be great enough again to justify being a first round pick, but I never envisioned this severe of a drop-off.  Wow. 

I was hoping i could use a good game tonight and make a deal off of it. But nope, 7 points. I probably couldn't even get Golden Tate straight up for ARob at this point

From Rotoworld:

Allen Robinson caught 6-of-15 targets for 70 yards in the Jaguars' Week 8 loss to the Titans.
All of Robinson's production came in garbage time. Dealing with unacceptably-bad wobblers from Blake Bortles, Robinson's frustration boiled over. He was visibly upset multiple times on the field, and caught by the camera launching his helmet on the sideline. Robinson has had struggles of his own this season, dropping far too many passes and running some shaky routes, but Bortles has been his biggest issue. Robinson will remain a low-end WR2 against the Chiefs in Week 9.
Oct 27 - 11:50 PM

Allen Robinson has had his issues this season but it is apparent that Bortles has as much or more responsibility for this situation.   Last year Bortles would just throw deep to Robinson and trust him to pull it down (which he often did).  We dont see any of that this year.  

1) Bortles and ARob are not on the same page.  Several times Bortles threw the ball to a place that ARob was not.  Did Bortles throw the wrong pass? Did Robinson run the wrong route? Probably a little of both... 

2) Bortles is really bad.  He had several wildly inaccuate throws tonight... passes that Tim Tebow would be ashamed of.

At this point I am hoping that the Jaguars trade for Romo...

Allen Robinson has had his issues this season but it is apparent that Bortles has as much or more responsibility for this situation.   Last year Bortles would just throw deep to Robinson and trust him to pull it down (which he often did).  We dont see any of that this year.  

1) Bortles and ARob are not on the same page.  Several times Bortles threw the ball to a place that ARob was not.  Did Bortles throw the wrong pass? Did Robinson run the wrong route? Probably a little of both... 

2) Bortles is really bad.  He had several wildly inaccuate throws tonight... passes that Tim Tebow would be ashamed of.

Judging by the Rotoworld description of Bortles... gunna go out on a limb and say it 99.9% Bortles chucking baked turkeys rather than ARob to blame.

Dr. Brew said:
I haven't really commented much in here since I don't own AR but I really do think this is a great time to buy him low. Rumor that I heard somewhere on these forums was Gus Bradley probably would have been fired if it weren't for their game being on Thursday this week. So, if they lose I'd expect him to be fired right away, giving his replacement a good 10 days to figure things out for next week. I would imagine his replacement would do his best to get his 2 biggest offensive weapons involved, AR and Bortles. 
This is where I'm at now.  This was the perfect game to boost his value.  Gus is gonna be a goner tomorrow and hopefully the shake up works ala The Bills.  His value is at rock bottom, I'm buying.  Give me 10+ targets all day going forward.

I traded for AR15 in week 3, giving Crowell and R.Cobb (Std.) because I felt I had good depth at RB; (DJohnson, JHill, Jennings, JCharles, and CJA)..  Just traded away AR15 for Forte before the game this evening..  ugh.

This is where I'm at now.  This was the perfect game to boost his value.  Gus is gonna be a goner tomorrow and hopefully the shake up works ala The Bills.  His value is at rock bottom, I'm buying.  Give me 10+ targets all day going forward.
I would buy, but only in keeper or dynasty formats where there's value to be had once they fix the QB.  Bortles looked awful... like he has all year.

I wouldn't buy Robinson expecting him to win a league for me...

I think #2 is the answer to #1. Even the announcers mentioned on one catch Robinson made that Bortles even made that easy catch a really difficult sliding one. Bortles looked awful. His stats look good at the end of the game because the Titans were in ridiculous prevent and didn't care if Jax scored or not. He had somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 yards at half time. Robinson was clearly upset at all the bad throws. He was open many times and the ball was behind him or over his head. Some of that was the OL, they looked terrible and got eaten up by Tennessee.

Robinson could have had a really nice night, easily over 100, so I'm not selling, but it still frustrates me in my best league (2 keeper PPR) that I saw AJ Green go right in front of me and I went with Robinson. The difference is night and day and I really though Green would get to me. I just wish I had the nads to pull the trigger on Elliot and then went WR in the 2nd (like Hilton).

Dropable in all formats...  No, lol, I kid.  I'd keep him in dynasty.  You'd have to at this point, what are you going to get for him?  A sandwich?  I'd rather have Hurns at this point though.  Though I'd really rather they take Bortles out onto the field and shot him at half-time next game.

No way is he droppable in redraft.  He's still been decent in PPR and Jesus if the OL and Bortles would play NFL caliber ball, AROB would have 10 catches EVERY GAME!

If this game was in London I don't think Bortles or Bradley would be on the flight home.  Maybe Shad pulls the trigger anyway and let's someone else run the show for the rest of the season and that person puts Henne in at QB.

No way is he droppable in redraft.  He's still been decent in PPR and Jesus if the OL and Bortles would play NFL caliber ball, AROB would have 10 catches EVERY GAME!
I doubt anyone would drop him due to name value and fear of a rebound, but I don't see how anyone could be comfortable playing him for the foreseeable future.

Not happy with his numbers, especially where I took him, but it is what it is. He's my #4 WR in a start 4 league at this point. Tough to bench him for low target guys who sporadically convert like Stills, but I may do that based on match-ups going forward. The bright side is that not too many WRs get 15 targets a game, and the odds are he should convert those at some point. If he starts getting only 5-6 targets a game I'd be more concerned.

For those thinking this is all on Bortles, is there any concern about this...

Catch Rate
Hurns: 55%
Lee: 73%
Robinson: 45%

Yards Per Target
Hurns: 7.9
Lee: 8.7
Robinson: 5.2

Lee is getting much more favorable looks out of the slot so maybe that one can be explained, but I wouldn't think his catch rate and YPT should be that far behind Hurns.

When 40% of the "targets" are legitimately impossible to catch I don't think we can really count those in his numbers.  I mean if you're trying to trade AR15 to someone then by all means point out how many "targets" he's getting but his catch rate is low because a high percentage of balls thrown in his vicinity are not actually catchable.

The 10 yard turn around route that bounced 3 yards in front of him.

The garbage time endzone back shoulder throw that went 2 feet off his front shoulder (where the CB is).

These are only a couple examples of his "targets" which aren't just hard to catch, but often he can't even try to catch them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's totally brutal to watch.  Bortles is so bad, but practically every good throw he made went to Hurns, and even one time he laid Hurns out to dry on a crossing route.

Definitely one of the biggest busts of 2016.

I think #2 is the answer to #1. Even the announcers mentioned on one catch Robinson made that Bortles even made that easy catch a really difficult sliding one. Bortles looked awful. His stats look good at the end of the game because the Titans were in ridiculous prevent and didn't care if Jax scored or not. He had somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 yards at half time. Robinson was clearly upset at all the bad throws. He was open many times and the ball was behind him or over his head. Some of that was the OL, they looked terrible and got eaten up by Tennessee.

Robinson could have had a really nice night, easily over 100, so I'm not selling, but it still frustrates me in my best league (2 keeper PPR) that I saw AJ Green go right in front of me and I went with Robinson. The difference is night and day and I really though Green would get to me. I just wish I had the nads to pull the trigger on Elliot and then went WR in the 2nd (like Hilton).
I think this season so far can be summed up on one specific play from the game.  (I dont have the exact time since I am writting this from memory) I think it was near the end of the 3rd quarter and possibly a 3rd down play.   Allen Robinson was lined up (wide left) with man coverage and the safety on that side of the field shifted towards the line of scrimmage (to help cover the slot WR or help defend a quick "in" route by A Rob.  Instead Robinson ran a fly route down the sideline and easily got behind his defender.   

If the ball had been launched down-field ARob would have had a nice long TD.  Instead Bortles threw the ball well behind him and harmlessly out of bounds.  The announcers suggested that Bortles tried to throw a back-shoulder pass.   It Bortles really had accurately thrown a back-shoulder pass it likely would have been intercepted since it would have been right at the defender.

Overall it was an awful play and pretty typical of the Jaguars play this season.

When 40% of the "targets" are legitimately impossible to catch I don't think we can really count those in his numbers.  I mean if you're trying to trade AR15 to someone then by all means point out how many "targets" he's getting but his catch rate is low because a high percentage of balls thrown in his vicinity are not actually catchable.
There was a reason the other WRs were included as well.  If the problem is 100% Bortles then why are the other WRs' catch rates not suffering nearly as bad as Robinson's?  Bortles is magically only making bad throws to Robinson but is making good throws to everyone else?

"Bortles sucks" seems like a lazy explanation when Bortles was also his QB last year and when the other players on the team don't have nearly as low catch rates with Bortles.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you watched the last Thursday night game you got a glimpse of why this is a Bortles problem. They can't run the ball which doesn't help but Bortles was wildly inaccurate and doesn't give Robinson the chance to make plays. The one time he did, he beat double coverage on a jump ball late in the game for 30 yards. Last year Robinson won what seemed like all of the contested or jump balls Bortles threw to him because he had the chance to make the play. This season he doesn't even have the opportunity. 

Robinson also gets double teamed or safety help on the regular so it would and should affect him more. Hurns has definitely not had the same production as last year either. Have you seen Bortles totals compared to last year? Not even close.

A few of his targets last week, he's on top of the CB and Bortles throws the curl route or the other way around.  Or he's double teamed and Bortles tried to fit it in to a small sideline window that isn't actually there.  It's bad decision making from Bortles, and not on the same page as Robinson.  Believe me I hate owning him right now, but it's not all Bortles fault either.  Robinson has dropped a lot of balls throw his way and hasn't had that fight for a "my ball" mentality that I've seen either.  It's a 2 way street and its infuriating to watch.  

A few of his targets last week, he's on top of the CB and Bortles throws the curl route or the other way around.  Or he's double teamed and Bortles tried to fit it in to a small sideline window that isn't actually there.  It's bad decision making from Bortles, and not on the same page as Robinson.  Believe me I hate owning him right now, but it's not all Bortles fault either.  Robinson has dropped a lot of balls throw his way and hasn't had that fight for a "my ball" mentality that I've seen either.  It's a 2 way street and its infuriating to watch.  
I agree. Even more infuriating to know the volume and talent are there weekly, so you get sucked into starting him because he could go for 10/160/2 like every week

There was a reason the other WRs were included as well.  If the problem is 100% Bortles then why are the other WRs' catch rates not suffering nearly as bad as Robinson's?  Bortles is magically only making bad throws to Robinson but is making good throws to everyone else?

"Bortles sucks" seems like a lazy explanation when Bortles was also his QB last year and when the other players on the team don't have nearly as low catch rates with Bortles.
To a large extent, yes.  When in doubt or flustered he just chucks it at Arob.  He doesn't do that with others nearly as much.  Robinson is causing plenty of his own pain for sure, but there's definitely some merit to the Bortles part too.

Bortles is making bad throws to everyone. He's making especially bad throws to Robinson. Some of them I'm not even sure can really be called throws to Robinson. There have been several throws where Bortles feels pressure (imagined or otherwise) and will just chuck up a bad throw in Robinson's direction. Some of them are not even close to catachable but Robinson get the target stat anyway. 

This isn't to say Robinson is completely without fault. He has had some drops and miscues, but when Bortles throws at you 15 times and only 6 are catchable, its hard to put most of that on the receiver 

Users who are viewing this thread