What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Robinson, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Ar15 and Lee are both ufa I believe, any speculation as to what happens in Jax? 
With the emergence of Cole and Westbrook, I don't see the Jags breaking the bank for Robinson if his asking price is too high (even coming off the ACL injury). I think the Jags let Lee walk, although I don't see teams falling over themselves to sign him.

I think Robinson would be a great fit for San Francisco, which can use a go-to receiver with size to pair with Goodwin - but that's just idle speculation.

With the emergence of Cole and Westbrook, I don't see the Jags breaking the bank for Robinson if his asking price is too high (even coming off the ACL injury). I think the Jags let Lee walk, although I don't see teams falling over themselves to sign him.

I think Robinson would be a great fit for San Francisco, which can use a go-to receiver with size to pair with Goodwin - but that's just idle speculation.
I think the market for Lee will be pretty strong. He looks like he has turned the corner the last 2 years, even with Bortle's inconsistent play. As a 49er fan I would be happy to see them sign Lee or Robinson. I would think that Jacksonville will try to get a discount on Robinson because of the injury, but not too sure Robinson won't find a big offer from another team. It looked to me like Robinson wants to move on, he seemed very frustrated with Bortles play, both last season and during this years preseason.

I think the market for Lee will be pretty strong. He looks like he has turned the corner the last 2 years, even with Bortle's inconsistent play. As a 49er fan I would be happy to see them sign Lee or Robinson. I would think that Jacksonville will try to get a discount on Robinson because of the injury, but not too sure Robinson won't find a big offer from another team. It looked to me like Robinson wants to move on, he seemed very frustrated with Bortles play, both last season and during this years preseason.
I wouldn't stay with bortles unless it was the only option

Last edited by a moderator:
Ar15 and Lee are both ufa I believe, any speculation as to what happens in Jax? 
Heard they want to bring both of them back and want AR on a 1-year "prove it" deal. I hope he's smart and just leaves, even with a new QB I don't think that coaching staff is great when it comes to offense. Also, AR, Lee, Dede, Hurns, Cole, too many mouths to feed. If they resign Lee or AR I would assume Hurns gets cut. That was a dumb deal when they signed it.

I could see the Bears going after AR15. Big bodied receivers have done well in Chicago historically (Marcus Robinson, Jeffrey, Marshall...). SF would be an FF dream so that probably will not happen. 

I also wouldn't expect the Jags offense to change much either regardless of who their QB is.  IIRC they were one of two teams that ran the ball more than passed the ball this season.  The ratio may flip by a small margin but that is Marrone/Coughlin football.

Didn't realize Robinson was 6'3", 220 lbs. Yeah he might be a good fit in San Francisco.

I also wouldn't expect the Jags offense to change much either regardless of who their QB is.  IIRC they were one of two teams that ran the ball more than passed the ball this season.  The ratio may flip by a small margin but that is Marrone/Coughlin football.
They were exactly 50/50 this year.

Heard they want to bring both of them back and want AR on a 1-year "prove it" deal. I hope he's smart and just leaves, even with a new QB I don't think that coaching staff is great when it comes to offense. Also, AR, Lee, Dede, Hurns, Cole, too many mouths to feed. If they resign Lee or AR I would assume Hurns gets cut. That was a dumb deal when they signed it.
Bah, if I’m signing a “prove it” deal I’m not playing with Blake bortles. 

Where'd you hear that?

That offense finished 5th in the league this year with Blake Bortles and all his limitations. Seems pretty good to me.

Why was the Hurns deal dumb? He has exactly $0 in dead money if cut next year. 0.

They were exactly 50/50 this year.
Just checked PFR, you're correct for the regular season. They ran 31 times to 23 passes vs But last week. Not sure how many of Bortles 10 carries were designed but he is one of the more mobile QBs in the league, so if he leaves the ratio could shift a little more.

Either way there is likely no design where they become a prolific, or high volume, passing team. If they keep Lee and Robinson there are going to be a lot of mouths to feed and will diminish the value of all receiving options.

Just checked PFR, you're correct for the regular season. They ran 31 times to 23 passes vs But last week. Not sure how many of Bortles 10 carries were designed but he is one of the more mobile QBs in the league, so if he leaves the ratio could shift a little more.

Either way there is likely no design where they become a prolific, or high volume, passing team. If they keep Lee and Robinson there are going to be a lot of mouths to feed and will diminish the value of all receiving options.
Totally agree.

There isn't a team in the league that cares about this.  This is purely a FF thing.  If they can get them all in for the money they want them at they will.

Where'd you hear that?

That offense finished 5th in the league this year with Blake Bortles and all his limitations. Seems pretty good to me.

Why was the Hurns deal dumb? He has exactly $0 in dead money if cut next year. 0.
Shocking. I thought you had to have read the stats wrong. ESPN shows them 6th ranked, but even that is shocking, had no idea they moved the ball that well.

There isn't a team in the league that cares about this.  This is purely a FF thing.  If they can get them all in for the money they want them at they will.
Hurns would get cut for the money, not because they have too many usable WRs. 

Where'd you hear that?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723875-allen-robinson-jacksonville-jaguars-negotiating-contract-extension

They finished 17th in passing yards, that's not great with all the options they have there. And the deal was dumb because they resigned a guy after his career year when they had 2 better WRs on the team. They could have/should have signed someone cheaper if anything.

Bah, if I’m signing a “prove it” deal I’m not playing with Blake bortles. 
Jags have a good running game and a great defense. They are a competent QB away from being a super bowl favorite and they have tons of cap space. With several solid veteran QBs likely hitting the market this year (cousins, Eli) it seems almost unfathomable that they'd be rolling out bortles again next year unless something crazy happens like them winning the super bowl this year. 

Can't tell you how bad I want Robinson in San Fran. Most of the time I want something it never happens, so chances are he'll probably end up back with Bortles in JAX...
Im rooting for SF, and Dal mostly for him. Oak, and Indy are darkhorse landing spots that could be nice

Hurns would get cut for the money, not because they have too many usable WRs. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723875-allen-robinson-jacksonville-jaguars-negotiating-contract-extension

They finished 17th in passing yards, that's not great with all the options they have there. And the deal was dumb because they resigned a guy after his career year when they had 2 better WRs on the team. They could have/should have signed someone cheaper if anything.

This article was published prior to AR being injured and mentions nothing about bringing both of them back and wanting AR on a 1-year "prove it" deal. Although I would be willing to bet that they are in fact trying to bring him back under those terms. I haven't heard on peep anywhere regarding Marqise Lee. It's realistic that the Jags will let him walk. Hurns signed what will amounts to a two-year extension with no dead space next year.

They finished 17th in passing yards due to (a) their running game finishing #1 in the league (b) their QB not being a very good passer and (c) a green and subpar receiving group.

All of those options that you cite? In addition to an injured Allen Hurns, the Jags had Allen Robinson for less than one quarter of one game, an inconsistent, drop-prone and oft injured Marqise Lee, a rookie 4th round pick who missed more than half the season on IR, an undrafted rookie free agent, a second year slot guy who wasn't even on the team in camp and wasn't promoted until half way through the season, 12-year blocking tight end Marcedes Lewis, and marginally talented tight ends James O'Shaughnessy, and Ben Koyak.

Mr. Brownstone said:
This article was published prior to AR being injured and mentions nothing about bringing both of them back and wanting AR on a 1-year "prove it" deal. Although I would be willing to bet that they are in fact trying to bring him back under those terms. I haven't heard on peep anywhere regarding Marqise Lee. It's realistic that the Jags will let him walk. Hurns signed what will amounts to a two-year extension with no dead space next year.

They finished 17th in passing yards due to (a) their running game finishing #1 in the league (b) their QB not being a very good passer and (c) a green and subpar receiving group.

All of those options that you cite? In addition to an injured Allen Hurns, the Jags had Allen Robinson for less than one quarter of one game, an inconsistent, drop-prone and oft injured Marqise Lee, a rookie 4th round pick who missed more than half the season on IR, an undrafted rookie free agent, a second year slot guy who wasn't even on the team in camp and wasn't promoted until half way through the season, 12-year blocking tight end Marcedes Lewis, and marginally talented tight ends James O'Shaughnessy, and Ben Koyak.
Fair enough. My opinion is still that I'd prefer that he leave Jax. Most of the issue was probably Bortles, but its made me sour on the whole situation.  Also, it appears that they're going to still be a run-heavy, defensive minded team next year, usually that doesn't work out great for the WRs.

Just hoping he doesn't go to the Ravens, Miami, or Jets.

The 49ers have a ton of cap space, and need for a WR. Seems like a good fit. The Colts also have a ton of cap space, if Luck is healthy that would be a very interesting landing spot.

Fair enough. My opinion is still that I'd prefer that he leave Jax. Most of the issue was probably Bortles, but its made me sour on the whole situation.  Also, it appears that they're going to still be a run-heavy, defensive minded team next year, usually that doesn't work out great for the WRs.

The 49ers have a ton of cap space, and need for a WR. Seems like a good fit. The Colts also have a ton of cap space, if Luck is healthy that would be a very interesting landing spot.
I agree. 

I would love to see Robinson in CHI or CAR.  CAR really needs a outside WR threat....Benjamin wasn't the answer, and CAR really missed Ginn.  Plus, Cam loves to sling the ball downfield.  Would be a great fit along with SF.  I can't see IND going for him.....they have a ton of issues on the OL and defense, plus they have a great outside WR threat in TY Hilton.

CHI also needs playmakers on the outside, so AR15 would be a nice piece to help Trubisky's development.  But CHI is usually pretty cheap in FA (Julius Peppers a notable exception), so they probably won't bid enough.

Along with BAL, MIA and NYJ, add BUF to the list of teams that I would hate to see Robinson go to.

49ers is all of our dream landing spot I think, my worry would be how much of that massive cap space is going to be left after they sign Jimmy G? Maybe Hyde too. 

49ers is all of our dream landing spot I think, my worry would be how much of that massive cap space is going to be left after they sign Jimmy G? Maybe Hyde too. 
Incorrect. My dream landing spot is the Steelers. He'd be the outside WR across from AB with Juju in the slot, Bell at RB, and McDonald at TE. The offense would be unstoppable.

Won't happen, but it's the dream. Also, would be sh*te for fantasy.

49ers have $110M, even a franchise tag or huge contract for JG will barely make a dent in their cap space. They should be big players for WR's, Corners, and interior linemen. The question is just how many of those positions they splurge on and which players at those positions do they go after?

49ers have $110M, even a franchise tag or huge contract for JG will barely make a dent in their cap space. They should be big players for WR's, Corners, and interior linemen. The question is just how many of those positions they splurge on and which players at those positions do they go after?
they might be happy with their WR - Garcon.Goodwin Taylor. draft someone. I don't think they need to spend in FA to have an effective WR core

they might be happy with their WR - Garcon.Goodwin Taylor. draft someone. I don't think they need to spend in FA to have an effective WR core
Yes, going to be hard to know exactly how they are prioritizing things until we get to March. They may not even know themselves until after the combine and they look closer at the prospects out there. If they don't sign a big ticket FA at WR like Watkins or ARob then they are in a spot in the draft to take their favorite rookie WR off the board. If they don't resign Hyde, then maybe they are angling for Barkley. My total guess would be they will be hard after one of Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler if the Pats let him go. Andrew Norwell at guard seems a likely target for them as well. After that? Only the 49ers brass likely knows at this point.

Yeah i dont think arob or watkins will be worth the open market price. Draft a ridley or james washington at 10 if you feel you need a wr. Give jimmy g a camp and pre season w garcon n goodwin. Could be real naaty next yeat

Really hope they replace Bortles...
Hard to imagine them replacing a guy who got them within a few minutes of the Super Bowl, although I'm sure he won't have too long of a long leash given that the team will have high aspirations next year.

In reality, Robinson owners probably want Bortles back there - they had very good chemistry together. To me, the bigger issue is that when Robinson was playing at a high level, the Jags were a pretty bad team and had to pass a lot. Now with a dominating defense and the offense going through Fournette, the targets for Robinson may not be as high as they used to be.

To me, the bigger issue is that when Robinson was playing at a high level, the Jags were a pretty bad team and had to pass a lot. Now with a dominating defense and the offense going through Fournette, the targets for Robinson may not be as high as they used to be.
This is a really good point and needs to be taken into account if he remains with the Jags.

Hard to imagine them replacing a guy who got them within a few minutes of the Super Bowl, although I'm sure he won't have too long of a long leash given that the team will have high aspirations next year.

In reality, Robinson owners probably want Bortles back there - they had very good chemistry together. To me, the bigger issue is that when Robinson was playing at a high level, the Jags were a pretty bad team and had to pass a lot. Now with a dominating defense and the offense going through Fournette, the targets for Robinson may not be as high as they used to be.
He's 2017 Trent Dilfer. Now they just have to avoid the next Grbac. 

He was moderately better than Mark Sanchez and Rex Grossman in the years they went to the conference championship, with the difference being that Bortles had a really good running game and was typically passing in favorable situations off of play action.

A defense can carry you this far.  They are a Kirk Cousins away from being Super Bowl favorites next year.

He was moderately better than Mark Sanchez and Rex Grossman in the years they went to the conference championship, with the difference being that Bortles had a really good running game and was typically passing in favorable situations off of play action.

A defense can carry you this far.  They are a Kirk Cousins away from being Super Bowl favorites next year.
And this would be a team that could support cousins, who can succeed with a good team around him. 

Talent windows are only open for so long with most teams. The Jags have to realize they need something better than Bortles not to waste this window. Collectively they probably have the most talented roster in the NFL. As good as Bortles numbers were, the game was called to perfection in the first half. He is not someone who they can trust to execute. So many easy throws that he does not place well (crossing routes for example) to allow the receiver to maximize yardage. He does not look like a QB I would trust to lead us back from a deficit. 

Users who are viewing this thread