What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Robinson, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Week 4 Sleepers

Excerpt:

WR Allen Robinson at Chargers ($5100): As our pal Davis Mattek put it on Twitter, Allen Robinson is Dez Bryant with a boring name and boring alma mater. He's 6'3/210 with explosive athleticism. He missed most of the summer and preseason with a hamstring injury, which is why the average fantasy player is just starting to hear about Robinson. His snaps have increased each week, and Robinson showed a good rapport with Blake Bortles in the second half of last week's blowout loss. He's likely to run most of his routes against Chargers LCB Shareece Wright on Sunday. Wright is susceptible to the big play. Robinson has plenty of big-play and low-up potential. A Bortles-Robinson stack in DFS isn't a bad avenue to travel.

I am impressed with how quickly Robinson has contributed, given that he missed significant time prior to the start of the season, and given that he was considered as being not quite pro ready coming out of college.

Robinson appears to be at a nice convergence of talent and opportunity, and I think it is fair to say that his stock is ascending in the fantasy football community.
Huh. It's interesting that he was considered "not quite pro ready." I thought he was more pro ready all along....but had possibly a lower ceiling than some others.
The 4.6 time was the main concern. But as has been pointed out in other threads, lots of "slow guys" get open in this league. Anquan Boldin, for example, whom Robinson seems to be compared to the most. Not sure I love that comp... Boldin is a BULL, but whatever.
Projected as a late first to early second-round pick, Robinson improved his 40-yard dash time on Tuesday at his Pro Day, running what was clocked from “4.42 to 4.47 and some 4.5s.” Robinson ran a 4.60 second 40-yard dash at the combine, a number that continued to raise questions about his breakaway speed.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/04/allen_robinson_bolsters_nfl_dr.html
He also weighed 12 pounds less at his pro day, which is definitely worth mentioning when you talk about his improved times.

You won't find many bigger A-Rob fans than me, but IMO the 6'2"+ 208 pound dimensions are a more accurate reflection of his body type and playing style than the 220 pound combine weight. He definitely has solid upper body strength, but I don't think his lower body power is on par with "big" NFL receivers like Fitzgerald and Dez. I can't recall ever seeing him bust a tackle with strength. He is easily taken down once wrapped up. The hard part is getting ahold of him. He's very elusive. For me, he's cut from the same cloth as guys like Reggie Wayne and AJ Green. Tall, fluid, elastic and springy. Not an outright powerhouse though.

He is very agile though and very, very good with the ball in his hands. Better than Wayne or Green in that regard.

I would guess your decision to trade him has no impact on the outcome on Sunday.

Why does everybody post this kind of stuff?
Lighten up, Francis. It's tried and true fantasy schtick.
I guess I'm just not in a good mood tonight. Still, though, am I the only one who thinks the schtick has run its course?

As for Allen Robinson, does anybody have a good feel for this situation? Honestly, nothing would surprise me about the Jaguars passing game, and Blake Bortles getting the start just adds another wrench. This whole wide receiver corpse has so much fluidity, that I think buying each piece makes the best course, starting with the cheapest.

A lot of people are on Robinson's jock, which makes me want to buy up shares of Shorts and Hurns in the name of cheapness. Robinson's price has gone up based more on hype than anything, but I personally don't see him as any more likely to put up stats in this offense. I think this whole situation is a hold, and it really may end up a three (or four) headed monster with very little predictability.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess your decision to trade him has no impact on the outcome on Sunday.

Lighten up, Francis. It's tried and true fantasy schtick.
I guess I'm just not in a good mood tonight. Still, though, am I the only one who thinks the schtick has run its course?

As for Allen Robinson, does anybody have a good feel for this situation? Honestly, nothing would surprise me about the Jaguars passing game, and Blake Bortles getting the start just adds another wrench. This whole wide receiver corpse has so much fluidity, that I think buying each piece makes the best course, starting with the cheapest.

A lot of people are on Robinson's jock, which makes me want to buy up shares of Shorts and Hurns in the name of cheapness. Robinson's price has gone up based more on hype than anything, but I personally don't see him as any more likely to put up stats in this offense. I think this whole situation is a hold, and it really may end up a three (or four) headed monster with very little predictability.
Sounds like a new take on the ever-popular zombie craze.

I am impressed with how quickly Robinson has contributed, given that he missed significant time prior to the start of the season, and given that he was considered as being not quite pro ready coming out of college.

Robinson appears to be at a nice convergence of talent and opportunity, and I think it is fair to say that his stock is ascending in the fantasy football community.
Huh. It's interesting that he was considered "not quite pro ready." I thought he was more pro ready all along....but had possibly a lower ceiling than some others.
The 4.6 time was the main concern. But as has been pointed out in other threads, lots of "slow guys" get open in this league. Anquan Boldin, for example, whom Robinson seems to be compared to the most. Not sure I love that comp... Boldin is a BULL, but whatever.
Projected as a late first to early second-round pick, Robinson improved his 40-yard dash time on Tuesday at his Pro Day, running what was clocked from “4.42 to 4.47 and some 4.5s.” Robinson ran a 4.60 second 40-yard dash at the combine, a number that continued to raise questions about his breakaway speed.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/04/allen_robinson_bolsters_nfl_dr.html
He also weighed 12 pounds less at his pro day, which is definitely worth mentioning when you talk about his improved times.

You won't find many bigger A-Rob fans than me, but IMO the 6'2"+ 208 pound dimensions are a more accurate reflection of his body type and playing style than the 220 pound combine weight. He definitely has solid upper body strength, but I don't think his lower body power is on par with "big" NFL receivers like Fitzgerald and Dez. I can't recall ever seeing him bust a tackle with strength. He is easily taken down once wrapped up. The hard part is getting ahold of him. He's very elusive. For me, he's cut from the same cloth as guys like Reggie Wayne and AJ Green. Tall, fluid, elastic and springy. Not an outright powerhouse though.

He is very agile though and very, very good with the ball in his hands. Better than Wayne or Green in that regard.
Blackmon was 6-1, 207 when he was putting up top 10 numbers.

Rotoworld:

Allen Robinson caught 5-of-7 targets for 38 yards in the Jaguars' Week 4 loss to San Diego.

Robinson had done most of his damage to this point in garbage time of blowout losses. The Jaguars continued to send him on high-percentage bubble screens Sunday, but he never got behind San Diego's defense for a long gain. Robinson is a highly athletic, intriguing prospect, but doesn't appear quite ready for prime time. He'll remain a dice-roll WR3 when the Jaguars take on the Steelers in Week 5. Cecil Shorts and Marqise Lee's lingering hamstring woes are working in Robinson's favor in terms of playing time and targets. He has 192 receiving yards over his last three games.

Sep 28 - 7:21 PM

Pretty pedestrian game by Robinson, but his 7 targets were still encouraging. Second on the team to the great Clay Harbor (8), and one ahead of Hurd.

With Lee not healthy and Shorts also perhaps hurt now, Robinson and Hurd should continue to rack up targets in catch up mode.

Yesterday's performance was not great, but the last 3 games he's caught 16/23 passes for 192 yards. That's a 16-game pace of 85-1024. 12 YPC (decent) and 8.3 YPT (good).

Given his size and RAC ability, I have to think he'll break a few long runs and score some TDs at some point. Who else on the team is a red zone threat?

Pretty pedestrian game by Robinson, but his 7 targets were still encouraging. Second on the team to the great Clay Harbor (8), and one ahead of Hurd.

With Lee not healthy and Shorts also perhaps hurt now, Robinson and Hurd should continue to rack up targets in catch up mode.
i wasn't expecting him to stay hot necessarily. he's a rook on a bad team. still, he seems to be adjusting to the pro game pretty well and has a lot of potential down the stretch. he's a WR3/4 most weeks. i'd like to see him find the end zone soon enough.

He caught a pass late in the game and did something that the other WR's on the roster can't do at his level. He caught the ball well short of the sticks, spun, and contorted his body while turning to reach for the first down. It was such a quick move and was one that I haven't seen from him thus far. He impresses me. I know its a small thing to note and is not a 7 for 100 day, but I think this kid is going to be really good.

Mr. Brownstone said:
He caught a pass late in the game and did something that the other WR's on the roster can't do at his level. He caught the ball well short of the sticks, spun, and contorted his body while turning to reach for the first down. It was such a quick move and was one that I haven't seen from him thus far. He impresses me. I know its a small thing to note and is not a 7 for 100 day, but I think this kid is going to be really good.
Didn't Hurns do this same ting in the first half?

Mr. Brownstone said:
Didn't Hurns do this same ting in the first half?
He did, but not to the point where it jumped out like Robinson did. I like both of them. A lot.

Traded him away today so I expect a huge game tomorrow. You are all welcome ;)

It was aimed at people with a sense of humor.

;)
All this goofing off and having fun around here is driving me crazy! Fantasy football is not all fun and games, you know.

I think I will just stick to the Trent Richardson thread.

It would be nice if he actually did something in the first half of games and it wasn't garbage time. Then again, there will be a ton of garbage time scenarios in Jax this season.

Not sure this relevant to what we are most concerned about with FF (production), but I like his mentality. When he was in junior high he got snubbed by Detroit Country Day. The prep school that got him (Orchard Lake St Marys) has a good program but it's not as elite. He used that as motivation, won a state championship while becoming a 3 star recruit. He desperately wanted to go to Michigan but instead got recruited by a couple MAC schools, Minnesota and Penn State. Became an All-American and finished his degree at Happy Valley. He thought he should have been ranked right there with Watkins and Evans. Again, just as he has done his whole life, he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He doesn't want to just prove he belongs; he's driven to be the best WR in this class. He wants all those teams that passed on him to be sorry they missed out. Every elite athlete sets a high bar for themselves; this is a guy who has been told at every level he's good but not quite big enough or fast enough. Then he goes out and proves that his doubters wrong .

I'm invested in him in dyno. Picked Matthews in round 1 and Robinson in Round 2, hoping for good things 2015. Any '14 production is just bonus.

Bortles wasn't throwing downfield as much as last week. Bortles aDOT week 3: 9.6, week 4: 5.8. Robinson's aDOT week 4 was only 7.3 vs 14.4 week 3.

Not sure this relevant to what we are most concerned about with FF (production), but I like his mentality. When he was in junior high he got snubbed by Detroit Country Day. The prep school that got him (Orchard Lake St Marys) has a good program but it's not as elite. He used that as motivation, won a state championship while becoming a 3 star recruit. He desperately wanted to go to Michigan but instead got recruited by a couple MAC schools, Minnesota and Penn State. Became an All-American and finished his degree at Happy Valley. He thought he should have been ranked right there with Watkins and Evans. Again, just as he has done his whole life, he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He doesn't want to just prove he belongs; he's driven to be the best WR in this class. He wants all those teams that passed on him to be sorry they missed out. Every elite athlete sets a high bar for themselves; this is a guy who has been told at every level he's good but not quite big enough or fast enough. Then he goes out and proves that his doubters wrong .
Great post. As a Penn State fan who watched every minute he played in college, I completely agree. Happy with Jordan Matthews, but I wanted my Eagles to draft Robinson.

Guy came out of nowhere to lead the Big10 in receiving 2 years in a row. He had over 1,400 yards and 97 catches in COLLEGE last year, and would still be a senior this year if he didn't leave for the NFL. He may not be the fastest guy, but he can beat people in space and above all is RELIABLE. If Penn State was down and needed to throw a lot, they could throw it to him almost every time, and he'd always make the play.

I realize I'm a biased homer, but I think he's gonna be the real deal.

Jaguars WRs Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson Must Shine:

http://nflmocks.com/2014/10/02/jaguars-wrs-allen-hurns-allen-robinson-must-shine/

Excerpt:

Allen Robinson

A-Rob was very fun to scout coming out of Penn State, because you never knew what you were going to get week-by-week. He proved to be a big-play target without elite speed during his time in college. Can he have his breakout day against the Steelers?

It’s possible considering the 21-year-old has been given the majority of the targets this season. He’s been given 6+ looks in three games this year, and has had at-least four grabs in those games. Facing what could be the worst secondary on the schedule against Pittsburgh this week, the opportunities could be endless.

Look for Robinson to work all over the field in this game, potentially securing a touchdown in the red zone.

Rotoworld:

Allen Robinson caught 5-of-11 targets for 51 yards in Jacksonville's Week 5 loss to the Steelers.

The targets were a new season high, but Robinson could corral less than half of them from a hurried Blake Bortles. Robinson has top-shelf athleticism, but hasn't notched a grab of 20-plus yards in either of his past two games. He'll remain a boom-or-bust WR4 for next week's trip to Tennessee.

Oct 5 - 5:29 PM

Little disappointed in the 2nd half given that he had 5 for 51 with most of 2nd half to go. Still like Robinson as a nice season-long WR3.

Little disappointed in the 2nd half given that he had 5 for 51 with most of 2nd half to go. Still like Robinson as a nice season-long WR3.
Agreed - looked like a big day ahead, but the Jags offense totally sputtered.

Still liking the target numbers though, and the fact that Hurns keeps dropping passes (three yesterday, six on the season) could tip the scale a bit more towards Robinson.

Jaguars vs. Titans fantasy football: Storm Johnson, Allen Robinson, and Josh Scobee

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/10/7/6934333/jaguars-vs-titans-fantasy-football-storm-johnson-josh-scobee-defense-special-teams

Excerpt:

WR Allen Robinson: Another week, another leading the Jaguars in targets and receptions. Fellow rookie Allen Hurns is catching up to him, but Robinson has had better hands over the past few weeks and is a bigger threat in red zone opportunities. He was so close to getting his first touchdown last season, it's only a matter of time.

Predicted stat line: 7 catches, 75 yards, 1 touchdown

Don't know where they are projecting from MFL also has him down for 15 points this week. I think I'm still in wait and see mode.

Guys, just saw a video on a ESPN - Karabell saying we should pick this guy up this week as a speculative add. He's onto it, ahead of the curve!

Rotoworld:

Jaguars.com's John Oehser expects Jacksonville to keep rookie WRs Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns in starting roles even if Cecil Shorts (hamstring) and Marqise Lee (hamstring) are active.

Shorts and Lee are very likely to play this week, but Oehser expects them to serve as the No. 3 and 4 receivers respectively. With the season already down the drain, Jacksonville has no reason to play impending free agent Shorts over their rookie playmakers. Robinson should continue to lead the Jags in targets, and could develop into a solid WR3 as Blake Bortles progresses this season.

Related: Cecil Shorts, Marqise Lee, Allen Hurns

Source: jaguars.com

Oct 11 - 11:29 AM

Another week, another serviceable WR3 PPR day for Robinson, even with Shorts back in the mix.

Bortles should continue to improve, and hopefully Robinson will get some TDs soon.

This guy is looking good. Looks like a good start vs clv. Will haden cover him? Also, his targets seem very consistent. Do you think shorts playing will change that?

This guy is looking good. Looks like a good start vs clv. Will haden cover him? Also, his targets seem very consistent. Do you think shorts playing will change that?
Shorts had 16 targets last week, vs 9 for Robinson. It seems reasonable to hunk Shorts will cut into his targets a bit if healthy. But this team is so bad, they will be playing from way behind every game, and thus pass the ball a lot.

Shorts had 16 targets last week, vs 9 for Robinson. It seems reasonable to hunk Shorts will cut into his targets a bit if healthy. But this team is so bad, they will be playing from way behind every game, and thus pass the ball a lot.
Reports said this week that Lee will be in line for greater work moving forward now that his hammy is better. He played last week but was limited. I'm not sure where those targets come from but I'm guessing more Shorts than anything.

Reports said this week that Lee will be in line for greater work moving forward now that his hammy is better. He played last week but was limited. I'm not sure where those targets come from but I'm guessing more Shorts than anything.
Could be. Also seems like Hurns is losing touches to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread