What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clueless about Home Theatre setup (1 Viewer)

george

Footballguy
Ok. I had my basement finished to set up home theatre system. Contractor hard wired it for 5.1 surround system.

Basement tv will have cable, xbox, DVD, and roku.

So, now I need to get a blu-Ray and speakers. Do I need a receiver?

Do I wire everything to tv and then out to a receiver?

Or do I wire everything into a receiver and then run it to the tv and speakers?

I'm not too worried about about sound being high quality as mostly will be used by my teenaged kids. I'm thinking buying a box system is best for me. But I'm mainly seeing DVD/speaker combos without a receiver. Do I need one?

Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Yeah, you need a receiver. Most newer receivers have HDMI, so you can hook all of your components (cable box, xbox, etc) up to the receiver via HDMI. Then you can run one HDMI cord to the TV, and you change inputs through the receiver. Then just hook up the speaker wire to the correct ports on the receiver and that's pretty much it.

Yeah, you need a receiver. Most newer receivers have HDMI, so you can hook all of your components (cable box, xbox, etc) up to the receiver via HDMI. Then you can run one HDMI cord to the TV, and you change inputs through the receiver. Then just hook up the speaker wire to the correct ports on the receiver and that's pretty much it.
I believe "HDMI switching" is the feature you want to look for on the receiver

Remember the important thing. The size of the screen.

In modern society the size of the screen is a good substitute for measuring the size of the johnson. You don't want to be gathered around the BBQ grill and say "I've got a 95" screen, and to immediately be upstaged by the dork next door who has 105.

Users who are viewing this thread