What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (1 Viewer)

He's been sitting on the WW in my 16-team, 0.5 PPR league for weeks. Just snatched him up. I'm still somewhat in "prove-it" mode -- on a hype scale of 1 to Christine Michael, he's about a 5 -- but I'm willing to gamble on his upside.
Definitely worth a pickup if he is out there. GB's offense will get it going sooner rather than later. No reason not to believe Adams couldn't be a nice WR3 the rest of the way.

Picked him up last week for pretty cheap. Hopefully he returns to his late season rookie form and what most were expecting from him this year after Jordy went down.

My WRs are pretty weak and after losing Jamaal and Foster the last few weeks, hell, if he does play like that he'll be in my lineup a lot.

Can't remember if I posted this idea in this thread or another one, but while I think Adams is worth a stash, I'm doing so only under the assumption that he can somehow make himself a WR2. We should not fall into the trap of assuming the WR3 in GB's offense has value. Adams was firmly entrenched in that role last year, and there was never a point where you felt confident starting him. And going back before that, I can't recall a time when GB was starting three fantasy-relevant receivers.

Could Adams move up the depth chart if Jones regresses, or if Cobb remains injured/ineffective? Sure. But as it stands now, he doesn't have a clear path to fantasy relevance.

Can't remember if I posted this idea in this thread or another one, but while I think Adams is worth a stash, I'm doing so only under the assumption that he can somehow make himself a WR2. We should not fall into the trap of assuming the WR3 in GB's offense has value. Adams was firmly entrenched in that role last year, and there was never a point where you felt confident starting him. And going back before that, I can't recall a time when GB was starting three fantasy-relevant receivers.

Could Adams move up the depth chart if Jones regresses, or if Cobb remains injured/ineffective? Sure. But as it stands now, he doesn't have a clear path to fantasy relevance.
Back in 09 and 10, Jennings, Driver and Jones were all startable in fantasy. The TE (Finley) took a large chunk of targets in those seasons and that's not going to happen on this roster. James Jones isn't suddenly some PPR stud. He's caught two balls the past two games. They clearly need a third option. Adams was second in targets when he was healthy so he most likely gets back to that. Need those red-zone targets though to become that top 25ish WR.

I'm assuming that Adams will be WR1 in Green Bay...if not, dumping. Stories at this point have him behind Jones at #3 and battling with Montgomery. That's laughable. If Adams doesn't come back as more than a #1 for GB, their offense won't be anything close to what we expect

I have no clue what to think of this guy. Got him as a throw in. He can be anything from a WR2 to WW fodder in two weeks. Next two games vs DEN and CAR are tough

A healthy Adams is a virtual lock to be their WR2. He could even challenge Cobb as the #1. James Jones is living a charmed life. He's virtually invisible all game then Rodgers throws him a TD pass. I have to think that his luck is going to run out soon.

A healthy Adams is a virtual lock to be their WR2. He could even challenge Cobb as the #1. James Jones is living a charmed life. He's virtually invisible all game then Rodgers throws him a TD pass. I have to think that his luck is going to run out soon.
Challenge Cobb? Because Cobb is hurt?

Challenge Cobb? Because Cobb is hurt?
I just think they could be 1a and 1b. Adams will be more of a deep and middle threat which will open up the underneath routes for Cobb.

So you are saying Adams is the star and Cobb and Jones are not? Production and those players ability to play through their injuries say otherwise.

Is this Christine Michael syndrome? Regardless of production people are going to live off hype? He was not great at all in the first games he has played Cobb and Jones even did better than him when Adams was on the field. So what is your reason for believing this?

Cobb and Jones have proven themselves as the WRs to own. Adams is what he is, an ok WR who has not seized his opportunity. Jones luck for TDs? He led the league in TDs not to long ago so its not luck, its what he does. He scores TDs when his QB is Rodgers regardless of who the other WRs are.

So you are saying Adams is the star and Cobb and Jones are not? Production and those players ability to play through their injuries say otherwise.

Is this Christine Michael syndrome? Regardless of production people are going to live off hype? He was not great at all in the first games he has played Cobb and Jones even did better than him when Adams was on the field. So what is your reason for believing this?

Cobb and Jones have proven themselves as the WRs to own. Adams is what he is, an ok WR who has not seized his opportunity. Jones luck for TDs? He led the league in TDs not to long ago so its not luck, its what he does. He scores TDs when his QB is Rodgers regardless of who the other WRs are.
I never said Cobb wasn't a star. But I will say that he seems much less effective this year without anyone to stretch the field. When Adams was playing, Cobb' s numbers were good. The last 3 games, they are very average. And no, I don't think Jones is a star. The Raiders and Giants didn't even want him. He has a nice repoire with Rodgers though.

Cobb has gotten 8,6,5 targets respectively the last three weeks. He's turned that into 5/44/0, 3/23/0, 2/38/0. He's hurting, and teams are swarming him in coverage.

Jones has gotten 6,3,5 targets respectively the last three weeks. He's turned that into 5/98/0, 2/77/1, 2/30/1. Give him credit, he's found a way to make a play or two per game.

As a point of reference Jordy got 10+ targets in half of the games for the Packers last year.

The Packer offense has been stuck in neutral in large part because of the blanket coverage on Cobb (and his injury), and the fact that Jones can't get open on a consistent basis. Rodgers has targeted Adams consistently in the short stretches he's played so far. This offense desperately needs him right now because he can get open.

The fact that the next two games on the schedule are the Broncos and Panthers is going to make this one a tough one to read going forward. If they play it straight up, Adams is likely to draw a fair amount of Aqib Talib and Josh Norman. I think they'll try to scheme Adams away from those guys though, and I expect him to get 8+ targets/game going forward.

Hasn't seized his opportunity? You mean because of his injury, right? The guy will be an every snap player when he is back out there and the Pack passing game has looked brutal without him. Jones isn't good enough to get it done and the struggling GB offense is evidence for that. Adams hasn't had a chance to prove anything yet this year.

We will see in the next few weeks here (assuming he can stay healthy and not re-injure the ankle.

It sounded as though his ankle was nearly healed prior to the game before the bye. He was given an extra week to heal, has Rodgers as his QB, and should roll out as a near every snap WR (GB uses 3 WR sets as their base). He should have significant value going forward. Stranger things have happened guys, but I would certainly buy him where I could.

When the Packers acquired James Jones it really threw a wet blanket into my Adams party.

As always, Green Bay will spread it around. He'll get his share, but I doubt he'll be "Jordy" good in FF this year.

I never said Cobb wasn't a star. But I will say that he seems much less effective this year without anyone to stretch the field. When Adams was playing, Cobb' s numbers were good. The last 3 games, they are very average. And no, I don't think Jones is a star. The Raiders and Giants didn't even want him. He has a nice repoire with Rodgers though.
Cobb was much more effective with Adams? Here is Cobb's game log:

9/13 @ CHI 5/38/1 (with Adams)

9/20 vs SEA 8/116/0 (with Adams for less than a half)

9/28 vs KC 7/91/3 (Adams ran a handful of plays)

10/4 @ SF 5/44/0 (No Adams, but Cobb re-injured his shoulder)

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

It seems pretty clear that Cobb's shoulder is a much bigger issue than whether or not Adams is in the lineup.

I think people are putting way too much stock in the Aaron Rodgers quote about Adams being a deep threat. He's averaged 11.4 YPC in his (short) career. He was considered a possession receiver going into the draft. He ran a 4.56 at the combine. His draft profile sums him up as follows:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

BOTTOM LINE A rangy, sure-handed possession receiver with starter-caliber, positional traits. Lacks top-end speed and strength. As a 21-year-old, third-year sophomore entering the draft early, is still growing into his body and developing core strength. Comparing favorably to a poor man's Michael Crabtree, Adams possesses very intriguing upside to be groomed.

He's not Martavis Bryant, no matter how much you, Aaron Rodgers and cheeseheads everywhere want him to be. He's a potential upgrade and replacement for Jones, that's it. Having him back will doubtless help the Pack, but his injury is not what ails them.

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

It seems pretty clear that Cobb's shoulder is a much bigger issue than whether or not Adams is in the lineup.

I think people are putting way too much stock in the Aaron Rodgers quote about Adams being a deep threat. He's averaged 11.4 YPC in his (short) career. He was considered a possession receiver going into the draft. He ran a 4.56 at the combine. His draft profile sums him up as follows:

BOTTOM LINE A rangy, sure-handed possession receiver with starter-caliber, positional traits. Lacks top-end speed and strength. As a 21-year-old, third-year sophomore entering the draft early, is still growing into his body and developing core strength. Comparing favorably to a poor man's Michael Crabtree, Adams possesses very intriguing upside to be groomed.

He's not Martavis Bryant, no matter how much you, Aaron Rodgers and cheeseheads everywhere want him to be. He's a potential upgrade and replacement for Jones, that's it. Having him back will doubtless help the Pack, but his injury is not what ails them.
So the first two games with Adams weren't much better than these last three without?? I bet his owners disagree vehemently.

I don't think anyone was suggesting he is Martavis Bryant. Most of the posters here have seemed to be level-headed about his ability being pretty mediocre. But the opportunity to gather 8+ targets a game from Aaron Rodgers makes him a very interesting fantasy piece. And as a Cobb owner, I'm optimistic another receiving threat can help open things up for him. I don't think that's unrealistic that it could help him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

I think you've got the injury part to Cobb being the main problem right. I also agree that Adams isn't necessarily a deep threat.

However, I think you're missing the mark on a couple things.

1. Adams won't be replacing Jones. He'll be replacing Ty Montgomery. The Adams injury forced Montgomery to play outside which does not match his skill set at all. That, and he's a rookie learning to play.

2. I think the fact that GBs top 3 WRs going into this season all got hurt is absolutely what ails this team. They won't be getting Jordy back, but getting Adams on the field will help them tremendously. I think Cobb's injury is likely to hamper him all season. Hopefully it gets progressively better and that the bye has helped him.

I don't think anyone was suggesting he is Martavis Bryant. Most of the posters here have seemed to be level-headed about his ability being pretty mediocre. But the opportunity to gather 8+ targets a game from Aaron Rodgers makes him a very interesting fantasy piece. And as a Cobb owner, I'm optimistic another receiving threat can help open things up for him. I don't think that's unrealistic that it could help him.
Totally agree with this. That's why I'm stashing him. But I think we all need to take a deep breath and realize that, aside from a few flashes last year, with Adams you're still betting on potential rather than results.

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

BOTTOM LINE

A rangy, sure-handed possession receiver with starter-caliber, positional traits. Lacks top-end speed and strength. As a 21-year-old, third-year sophomore entering the draft early, is still growing into his body and developing core strength. Comparing favorably to a poor man's Michael Crabtree, Adams possesses very intriguing upside to be groomed.

I think you've got the injury part to Cobb being the main problem right. I also agree that Adams isn't necessarily a deep threat.However, I think you're missing the mark on a couple things.

1. Adams won't be replacing Jones. He'll be replacing Ty Montgomery. The Adams injury forced Montgomery to play outside which does not match his skill set at all. That, and he's a rookie learning to play.

2. I think the fact that GBs top 3 WRs going into this season all got hurt is absolutely what ails this team. They won't be getting Jordy back, but getting Adams on the field will help them tremendously. I think Cobb's injury is likely to hamper him all season. Hopefully it gets progressively better and that the bye has helped him.
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Adams will take Jones' spot in the lineup while Jordy is out but rather that's likely his long-term role on the team. I think it's even possible he'll startt getting some of Jones' red zone targets this year. I don't hate the guy, as Ryno stated above, Adams has s good opportunity.

I just find it unrealistic fantasy to think that Adams could supplant Cobb as the top WR on this team ROS or to think that the loss of Adams put GB's offense into a tailspin. As you correctly mentioned, it was injuries to the top 3 WR that caused the issue but I will qualify it by saying that Jordy and Cobb are on a completely different level than Adams at this point in his career.

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

BOTTOM LINE

A rangy, sure-handed possession receiver with starter-caliber, positional traits. Lacks top-end speed and strength. As a 21-year-old, third-year sophomore entering the draft early, is still growing into his body and developing core strength. Comparing favorably to a poor man's Michael Crabtree, Adams possesses very intriguing upside to be groomed.

I think you've got the injury part to Cobb being the main problem right. I also agree that Adams isn't necessarily a deep threat.However, I think you're missing the mark on a couple things.

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Adams will take Jones' spot in the lineup while Jordy is out but rather that's likely his long-term role on the team. I think it's even possible he'll startt getting some of Jones' red zone targets this year. I don't hate the guy, as Ryno stated above, Adams has s good opportunity.

I just find it unrealistic fantasy to think that Adams could supplant Cobb as the top WR on this team ROS or to think that the loss of Adams put GB's offense into a tailspin. As you correctly mentioned, it was injuries to the top 3 WR that caused the issue but I will qualify it by saying that Jordy and Cobb are on a completely different level than Adams at this point in his career.
I think the lack of a good outside WR since Jordy went down has hurt GB. People had assumed (hoped?) Adams could fill that role, but he hasn't, and it's not clear he's well suited for it anyway.

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

BOTTOM LINE

Thanks for the reply.I wasn't trying to suggest that Adams will take Jones' spot in the lineup while Jordy is out but rather that's likely his long-term role on the team. I think it's even possible he'll startt getting some of Jones' red zone targets this year. I don't hate the guy, as Ryno stated above, Adams has s good opportunity.

I think the lack of a good outside WR since Jordy went down has hurt GB. People had assumed (hoped?) Adams could fill that role, but he hasn't, and it's not clear he's well suited for it anyway.
let's give him a few games where he's healthy before saying he's not that guy. That's like saying Tony Romo didn't turn out to be the quarterback Dallas had hoped he'd be this year.

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

BOTTOM LINE

Thanks for the reply.

I'd agree that it would be unrealistic to expect Adams to supplant Cobb as the top WR, if we were talking about the 2014 version of Randall Cobb. What the Packers are working with is a Randall Cobb that has a significant shoulder injury. Reality is that he's struggling to be productive. Reality also is that James Jones struggles to get open. Richard Rodgers is a decent player, but he's a limited role player. The door is open for Adams. Nobody is anointing him the #1 for the rest of the year, but its easy to see the scenario where he is that guy given the current circumstances.

Sun 10/11 vs STL 3/23/0

Sun 10/18 vs SD 2/28/0

BOTTOM LINE

Thanks for the reply.I wasn't trying to suggest that Adams will take Jones' spot in the lineup while Jordy is out but rather that's likely his long-term role on the team. I think it's even possible he'll startt getting some of Jones' red zone targets this year. I don't hate the guy, as Ryno stated above, Adams has s good opportunity.

let's give him a few games where he's healthy before saying he's not that guy. That's like saying Tony Romo didn't turn out to be the quarterback Dallas had hoped he'd be this year.
I didn't mean "not well suited" in terms of untalented, just that he may be more of a possession receiver who can't replace the dimension Jordy brought to the offense.

Yes, I'm definitely willing to give him a few games to show something. But as I said upthread, we should be clear we're betting on potential, not results.

When the Packers acquired James Jones it really threw a wet blanket into my Adams party.

As always, Green Bay will spread it around. He'll get his share, but I doubt he'll be "Jordy" good in FF this year.
Anyone would thought Adams wold be Jordy was dreaming anyway. When I drafted Adams, I was hoping for a solid WR2/3 production. Anything more than that and I was going to be pumped.

Jones signing definitely knocked some of the potential of Adams down, but I still think he can produce like a mid-range WR2 the rest of the way.

Anyone would thought Adams wold be Jordy was dreaming anyway. When I drafted Adams, I was hoping for a solid WR2/3 production. Anything more than that and I was going to be pumped.

Jones signing definitely knocked some of the potential of Adams down, but I still think he can produce like a mid-range WR2 the rest of the way.
Well said, although I'd probably even knock down expectations a little more. I've got him as a WR3-type the rest of the way if he's fully over this ankle injury, although this week certainly isn't the best matchup.

This - though I want receivers in that offense. I'm hoping a fresh, healthy Adams will shine in an offense I want to own. Went aggressively after him with FAAB last night, and am hoping he steps up in the next month/playoffs. Not expecting any immediate returns. Not starting him until I see production. He won't be Jordy good though but on the wire, at this stage of the year, who will be?

LawFitz said:
Adams is much closer to Michael Crabtree than he is Jordy Nelson.
And whom did you compare Jordy Nelson to when he was a young unproven player?

It really drives me crazy when people start putting ceilings on players. Read a little blurb from one scout and now that player will never be more than a poor mans Crabtree. Jordy Nelson was being compared to Kevin Walter and Joe Jurevicius when he came out. He didn't didn't have Julio Jones tools to work with, he ran a 4.51. (Adams a 4.56) Scouts said Cobb wasn't overly elusive in the open field.

There's a range of possible outcomes with Adams, both good and bad. He may never even be as good as a poor mans Michael Crabtree. Personally, I think there is plenty of reason for optimism though. He was selected by Ted Thompson. His history suggests he's very likely the best evaluator of WR talent there is. That's even in comparison to the rest of the GMs in the NFL. I certainly respect his opinion way more than somebody writing for a living, or a talking head. Adams also gets to catch passes from Aaron Rodgers. That's worked out very well for Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Jennings and Driver. Every one of those guys has put up at least one top 15 WR season.

FWIW, Jordy was sitting on quite a few fantasy WW's going into his FOURTH NFL season. Much like Aaron Rodgers himself, Nelson worked on his game and made himself into an excellent player, far superior than the sum of his parts.

Here's some analysis of Nelson before he was drafted in 2008. From NFL.com

Negatives: Has a good-size frame, but needs to add more muscle tone, especially in the upper body...More quick than fast, but must show better explosion coming off the snap, as he lacks a burst...Is still a work in progress recognizing defensive coverage, but made good strides finding the holes in the zone as a senior...Not really a vertical route runner, as he does not always gobble up the cushion and while he will gather to cut, he needs to show better hip sink...Mostly a position/pester type of blocker who will get in the way, but lacks the strength and hand placement to sustain...Better served playing in the slot than on the outside, as he has the frame to shield the ball from defenders and make the tough catch in a crowd, but does not have the timed speed to stretch the field.

Compares To: KEVIN WALTER-Houston...It took a few years for Walter to find the right system to play in, but if a team is looking for a slot receiver who can be physical over the middle, Nelson has more upside than most. Like Walter and Cleveland's Joe Jurevicius, Nelson is not going to win an Olympic sprint, but he is become a savvy route runner and shows good courage going for the ball in a crowd. While his numbers are the result of being the offense's only quality talent, you still have to be impressed with the progress he has made each year. You just get the feeling that he is on the verge of being a special player.

Draft Analysis of Davante Adams from NFL.com

WEAKNESSES

Lacks ideal functional playing strength to consistently beat the jam and can get hung up at the line. Long strider and is not sudden out of his breaks. Production was inflated from a quick-hitting, lateral passing game.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2 BOTTOM LINE

Draft analysis of Randall Cobb from NFL.com

STRENGTHS

Cobb possesses rare competitiveness and great intangibles. Not afraid of contact, going over the middle, or pass blocking. Good short area speed, can press the line and get to the perimeter. Good route-runner and can get open against zone. Versatile - high school quarterback who played running back, receiver, returned kicks, and in the Wildcat in college.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks bulk for a running back. Does not possesses great top-end speed and not overly elusive in the open field. Does not have the strength and power to carry the load or push the pile. Only possesses adequate overall ball skills as a receiver. Struggles to sustain his blocks.

Adams is an intriquing and really unproven talent playing for one of, if not, the best organizations and best QB arm. Tough matchup in his return. Would be an extreme contrarian play this week probably owned by less than .1 % I would imagine, and obviously a reason to not start him. Good game to watch though, eh? Supposed to be two top defenses slugging it out. Somebody has to score.

assuming one chalks up the week 8 Denver game to Adams being rusty/tentative upon his return & Rodgers being blitzed like crazy, does week 9 offer a bit more optimism?

Its definitely tough to draw too many conclusions from the Denver game, as the offense as a whole looked shell-shocked. i fully expect Jones to continue his role as a red zone threat with some occasional looks between the 20's. But doesnt GB somehow have to incorporate Adams into the offense to a greater extent moving forward? If for no other reason than to open things up for Cobb and keeping the chains moving.

Having a 2nd straight road game now vs. Josh Norman & co. is not my idea of ideal. However, this NFC showdown is huge for playoff seeding/byes & Green Bay has to come strong. Do circumstances dictate that this is about the time that we see Adams regain a bigger role in the offense? Im cautiously optimistic.

-biz-

The important take away message from the Denver game is that Adams started over Jones, played 52 snaps and had 8 targets. He is clearly a big part of the Packers game plan.

I wouldn't start him this week against Carolina, although he could produce, but he is a good matchup play at the very least.

If we go by the Denver game, no one on the Packers is startable, so I wouldn't even factor that in. Like Chaka said, the 8 targets and more snaps than Jones tells you that Adams is going to have a huge role in this offense when it starts cranking again. Playing at Carolina may require another week of patience, however.

If we go by the Denver game, no one on the Packers is startable, so I wouldn't even factor that in. Like Chaka said, the 8 targets and more snaps than Jones tells you that Adams is going to have a huge role in this offense when it starts cranking again. Playing at Carolina may require another week of patience, however.
The Packers schedule after Carolina is Lions, @Vikings, Bears, @Lions, Cowboys, @Raiders before finishing @ Ari in week 16. That is six consecutive startable games for all Packers offensive players.

JuniorNB said:
Chaka said:
The important take away message from the Denver game is that Adams started over Jones, played 52 snaps and had 8 targets. He is clearly a big part of the Packers game plan.

I wouldn't start him this week against Carolina, although he could produce, but he is a good matchup play at the very least.
Drinen's data shows only 2 targets - what gives?

I only show Adams got 2 targets. He had 8 yards receiving. This guy just got dropped in my 12 team league. He will be picked up shortly though.

JuniorNB said:
Chaka said:

Drinen's data shows only 2 targets - what gives?
My bad. Dyslexic moment apparently.

Either way the fact that he dominated the snaps at WR is very encouraging...would have been nicer with 8 targets but I think we'll all take it.

Users who are viewing this thread