What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (1 Viewer)

Wouldn't be surprised if that touchdown reception turns things around for Adams. Drops are a mental issue, not a skill issue.

Chaka said:
He put up 7 points in my league, 2 below average. Not regretting dropping him...yet.
He just missed a second TD. If Rogers would have put more air on the ball he'd have gotten the 2nd TD (luckily Rogers ran it in on the next play).

He has to adjust to Rogers LOVING the back shoulder play ... and ... Rogers has to adjust to Adams being a great fade end zone player. If they can figure these two things out and consistently mix'm up, but be on the same page, then they'll be lethal in the end zone.

Chaka said:
He put up 7 points in my league, 2 below average. Not regretting dropping him...yet.
He just missed a second TD. If Rogers would have put more air on the ball he'd have gotten the 2nd TD (luckily Rogers ran it in on the next play).

He has to adjust to Rogers LOVING the back shoulder play ... and ... Rogers has to adjust to Adams being a great fade end zone player. If they can figure these two things out and consistently mix'm up, but be on the same page, then they'll be lethal in the end zone.
Yeah, I saw that. Adams had his guy beat and Rodgers underthrew him. Adams also had the best shot at the hail mary had R.Rodgers not grabbed it.

Amazing how this guy went from preseason darling as a potential #1 or #2 WR on a potent offense, to wondering if he's even on the team next year.

Totally agree. There's been a myriad of reasons for Adams not having a good season.

I'm not saying he's played well. He hasn't. I think his biggest issue has been winning in contested situations. He's lost the confidence of Rodgers because of it.

Adams said it himself a few weeks ago. In practice, Rodgers can't be touched. The ball will be placed much better, so he doesn't have to fight the DB for it nearly as much/often as live game situations. I'm sure that's why he looked great in training camp and in the OTAs.

He needs to watch a lot of Allen Robinson tape. Their game is somewhat similar. Robinson is such a beast at the catch point. Adams is the opposite right now.

Look at their combine numbers:

Robinson: 6'2.5" 220 4.60 39" vertical

Adams: 6'1" 212 4.56 39.5" vertical

Part of the problem has been a lack of cohesion with Rodgers as well. Rodgers is great at the back shoulder throw. He and Jordy perfected it. That's not Adams game, and they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Adams has the vertical to jump over the DB, and he creates separation there. Rodgers needs to get better at throwing that ball.

Totally agree. There's been a myriad of reasons for Adams not having a good season. I'm not saying he's played well. He hasn't. I think his biggest issue has been winning in contested situations. He's lost the confidence of Rodgers because of it.

Adams said it himself a few weeks ago. In practice, Rodgers can't be touched. The ball will be placed much better, so he doesn't have to fight the DB for it nearly as much/often as live game situations. I'm sure that's why he looked great in training camp and in the OTAs.

He needs to watch a lot of Allen Robinson tape. Their game is somewhat similar. Robinson is such a beast at the catch point. Adams is the opposite right now.

Part of the problem has been a lack of cohesion with Rodgers as well. Rodgers is great at the back shoulder throw. He and Jordy perfected it. That's not Adams game, and they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Adams has the vertical to jump over the DB, and he creates separation there. Rodgers needs to get better at throwing that ball.
You made sense till you wrote that Rodgers needs to get better throwing the ball.

Totally agree. There's been a myriad of reasons for Adams not having a good season. I'm not saying he's played well. He hasn't. I think his biggest issue has been winning in contested situations. He's lost the confidence of Rodgers because of it.

You made sense till you wrote that Rodgers needs to get better throwing the ball.
He said throwing THAT ball. Meaning a specific pass.

Rotoworld:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes Davante Adams "will have to fight for a roster spot" in 2016.

His on-field flashes few and far between, Adams has been horrifically inefficient through two NFL seasons, managing a putrid 55 percent catch rate with just five touchdowns on 160 career targets. He averaged 9.7 yards per reception in 2015. Adams just turned 23, of course, and was the 53rd overall pick in the 2014 draft. We'd guess Adams stays on the roster in 2016, but his starting job should undoubtedly be placed up for grabs.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly Adams had a terrible year, and he had many little dings along the way. But a 23 year old second rounder that just finished his second season is in absolutely no danger of being cut by the Packers. It will take more than one bad season for that to happen. He has had zero off the field issues, have not heard anything about lack of effort or practicing issues, he is very young and not every player has that switch click by year two.

I'm inclined to agree with Claymaker here. Adams had a disappointing year no doubt.

His year kind of breaks down like this:

He was fine week 1. 4/59 on 8 targets.

Week 2 he sprained his ankle missed a large chunk of the game.

Week 3 he tried to give it a go, and re-aggravated it. Rumor was he had a high ankle sprain. He denied it.

He returned week 8 vs Denver. It was at this moment that the entire offense went into the tank. Adams got two targets here, catching one for 8 yards.

Week 9 vs Carolina 7/93 on 11 targets.

Week 10 was pivotal. It was the Detroit game where he got 21 targets. He was terribly inefficient catching 10 of them for 79 yards. It should be noted, that Rodgers was terribly inaccurate on this day too. Nonetheless I think there is an important takeaway here. That is that he had shown the team enough through practices etc that he was worthy of 21 targets, and that they really did believe in Adams up to this point. Regardless of Rodgers' inaccuracy on the day, Adams didn't deliver.

Week 12 didn't help. It was a national TV game on Thanksgiving. The conditions were awful. Some of my friends attended this game, and said it was by far the worst weather game they had ever been to. It was cold, windy and raining sideways throughout the game. Adams had a huge drop on a likely long TD pass, and was terribly inefficient again. I think the weather played a large role here, but still the takeaway is that Adams had another poor game.

Weeks 13-15 his role in the offense was clearly diminished. He was still getting some targets, but they were largely short area passes. IMO his confidence was shaken.

Weeks 16-18 he started to gain a little bit of confidence again, and started making a few plays. This was culminated by back to back plays vs Washington where he made a nice contested catch along the sideline and then broke open for an easy TD.

I really think Adams just lost a lot of his confidence in that week 10-12 area, and it took him a while to get out of it. There's no way to know if or how much the ankle sprain played a role in his year. Nonetheless, there seems to be a growing narrative that Adams was awful all year. That's just not the case. He got hurt week 2, and it really derailed the first half of the season for him. That week 10-12 stretch he was brutal, and then they just didn't target him on throws that other than quick outs, quick screens etc.

I'm sure it was a humbling year for Adams. He was touted as the most improved Packer coming into the year by Rodgers and McCarthy. I don't think they just made that up. I'm sure he looked great in their offseason workouts. When it came time to make plays in games though, he wasn't winning in contested situations. Basically, when things were less than ideal, Adams didn't deliver with any regularity. Will be interesting to see if he can make that leap in 2016.

Make or break season for him. His draft status will keep the shine on him for another half dozen games or so. If he produces, he will get more, if not he's going to the end of the bench.

I think he's Wr4 on the Pack next season at best if everyone is healthy. Montgomery looked better, Jordy will be back, and Janis and Abby kind of look like they can play.

Young wr with nagging injuries. Additionally, next year is the magical third year. I'm willing to give him a pass this year. If he doesn't produce next year then I will cut bait.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel doesn't consider Davante Adams' roster spot a "sure thing" for 2016.
In breaking down the Pack's crowded receiver corps, reporter Tom Silverstein labels Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb as the only "sure things." We would add Jeff Janis to that list, as well. It would ultimately be surprising if Adams couldn't crack the 53-man roster, but he was one of the worst regularly-featured wideouts in the league last season, averaging a stunningly-bad 9.7 yards on 50 catches. Still only 23, Adams has youth and his 2014 draft position (No. 53 overall) working in his favor.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I still say he's a great buy low.  Yes 2015 was a disappointment but he showed flashes in 2014 which leads me to believe that ankle was a huge issue.  In 2014 he had games of

8-77, 9-75, 11-121 and 11-117 in the playoffs against Dallas. Davante outplayed both Jordy and Cobb in that Dallas playoff game.  I'm buying him on the cheap wherever I can.  The talent is there hopefully he can put it all together on the field.

I still say he's a great buy low.  Yes 2015 was a disappointment but he showed flashes in 2014 which leads me to believe that ankle was a huge issue.  In 2014 he had games of

8-77, 9-75, 11-121 and 11-117 in the playoffs against Dallas. Davante outplayed both Jordy and Cobb in that Dallas playoff game.  I'm buying him on the cheap wherever I can.  The talent is there hopefully he can put it all together on the field.
Meh, four games between weeks 6 through 17 managing 10 yards per reception (in those games), 1 TD while having games of 1-21-0, 1-10-0, 2-13-1, 1-10-0, 1-6-0, 1-6-0 (not a repeat), 2-17-0 and 1-7-0 during that stretch while also doing nothing notable last year when called upon to step up with little experienced competition  (that still ended up outplaying him) and plenty of competition for his job today.

I'm thinking you shouldn't buy too hard on him.

Meh, four games between weeks 6 through 17 managing 10 yards per reception (in those games), 1 TD while having games of 1-21-0, 1-10-0, 2-13-1, 1-10-0, 1-6-0, 1-6-0 (not a repeat), 2-17-0 and 1-7-0 during that stretch while also doing nothing notable last year when called upon to step up with little experienced competition  (that still ended up outplaying him) and plenty of competition for his job today.

I'm thinking you shouldn't buy too hard on him.
Not to mention that ARodgers has had by far his lowest AYA when throwing to Adams.  Only 5.9 for Adams, lower than James Starks (7.1) and Andrew freaking Quarless (7.3).  

I pounded the table last offseason that Adams was fraudulent and would be bypassed on depth chart, draft capital kept him afloat last year.  He will be a backup and out of the league in 2-3 years. 

Not to mention that ARodgers has had by far his lowest AYA when throwing to Adams.  Only 5.9 for Adams, lower than James Starks (7.1) and Andrew freaking Quarless (7.3).  

I pounded the table last offseason that Adams was fraudulent and would be bypassed on depth chart, draft capital kept him afloat last year.  He will be a backup and out of the league in 2-3 years. 
While I agree I feel the need to say that you should be careful not to hurt your shoulder while patting yourself on the back.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant.

Care to post the complete list of players you were high on and low on at this time last season?
Nah, I don't want to pat myself on the back too much.   I don't have a crazy post count and only post in SP, so if you really care to knowledge up you can.

Looks a little ugly to me, especially at the break. Cooper doing it too doesn't mean anything since he hasn't accomplished anything in the NFL.

For a really egregious example, look at former Texas WR Roy Williams. I used to call him Clown Shoes because of his huge feet and how ugly his footwork was. His feet were often pointed out towards the sides, even when he was facing straight ahead. I like to think that if he came through the pipeline again, I would've recognized right away what a fraud he was. He had so many red flags for a guy with alleged elite talent. Skinny and really really sloppy feet. That tangent aside...

Adams isn't anywhere close to that bad. He just isn't on par with the very best. Demaryius Thomas is probably the best YAC receiver in the league right now and one of the very best of all the big receivers in terms of his precise movement. Watch his highlights and pay close attention to how crisp his cuts are and how his feet aren't all over the place and messy. This is the type of movement you want to see. Combine that with his monster frame and you have the recipe for a Pro Bowler.

This year I think Odell Beckham has flawless movement. If he was 6'3" 225 then he would be a top 5 lock Pro Bowler, but it's hard to find all of the ideal traits in one package. That's why guys like Fitz and Demaryius might only come along once per draft or once every couple years.
Man, I wish I had put more stock in that observation. Definitely didn't give ODB his due as a draft prospect...

Nah, I don't want to pat myself on the back too much.   I don't have a crazy post count and only post in SP, so if you really care to knowledge up you can.
Yeah, I'll pass and stand pat with "I thought so."

But at least we agree on Davante.

Packer Report's Bill Huber anticipates Davante Adams getting the "first crack" at hanging on to Green Bay's third receiver job.
Adams was an abject disaster in an expanded role last season, failing to separate and dropping far too many balls on the rare occasions he got open. Jeff Janis shined in his 2015 opportunities -- albeit limited -- but Huber noticed him "drop a couple of routine passes during an individual drill at minicamp." Huber mentioned sophomore Ty Montgomery and rookie Trevor Davis as also being in the mix. The Packers run three-receiver sets on over 70 percent of their offensive snaps. This battle will be worth monitoring closely into the fall.

Source: Scout.com 
Jul 6 - 11:06 PM

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes Davante Adams needs a "big summer" to keep his 53-man roster spot.
Beat writer Rob Reischel notes GM Ted Thompson has been willing to cut ties with early draft picks if they aren't producing, most recently doing so with 2012 second-rounder Jerel Worthy. Adams averaged 9.7 yards per catch as the Packers' third receiver in 2015, dropping 12-of-96 targets (12.5 percent), and ranking dead last in touchdowns (1) among pass catchers with at least 50 receptions. A true wild card entering training camp, Adams could end up as high as the Packers' No. 3 receiver, or as low as the NFL waiver wire.

According to Packer Report's Bill Huber, third-year WR Davante Adams has "caught everything this summer."
After Aaron Rodgers hit Adams for a 35-yard catch in Sunday's practice, Huber opined that Adams is "showing signs of being the guy they thought he'd be last year." Only 23 years old, Adams can't be given up on despite a disappointing sophomore campaign. He remains the favorite for Green Bay's third receiver job.

Source: Bill Huber on Twitter 
Jul 31 - 9:25 PM

According to Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Davante Adams has had a "rough camp so far."
Wood tweeted this minutes after Packer Report's Bill Huber observed Adams had "caught everything this summer." It's a reminder that beat writers watching practices can have totally different takeaways viewing the same set of practices. By most accounts, Adams began camp in solid form but had a number of miscues during Sunday night's session. We will continue to monitor the Packers' third receiver battle closely. Jeff Janis, Jared Abbrederis, and rookie Trevor Davis are still in the mix. Ty Montgomery (ankle surgery) remains on the shelf.

Source: Ryan Wood on Twitter 
Aug 1 - 10:17 AM

This guy struggles to separate and doesn't have the soft hands necessary to absorb ARod fastballs. I was high on him going into last season and watched him flat out suck last year. Maybe that changes this year, but I doubt it.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, third-year WR Davante Adams "has had some good moments and some bad ones in camp."
This would've been our guess based on beat writers' Twitter feeds; Adams seems to mix bad days with good days and follow up impressive plays with mistakes. "For every great play he's made, it seems he's had a drop," wrote the Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein. Silverstein says Adams "has to make a statement" in the Packers' second preseason game. He'll be doing so with Brett Hundley.

Aug 17 - 8:51 PM

Davante Adams caught 5-of-8 targets for 85 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 5 win over the Giants.
Adams scored on a 29-yard catch-and-run down the right sideline. He was more involved this week with the Packers forced to check down. Randall Cobb left late in the game after taking a hit to the helmet, but was cleared of a concussion. Adams isn't more than a WR4 for Week 6.

Oct 10 - 12:54 AM

Loved this guy coming out, got so burned last year, and now somehow starting to look like what I expected from the beginning after I no longer own anywhere. 

Legit skills.

There's the Adams I thought would emerge last season when he had every opportunity to do so.  Probably sold too soon in Dynasty.  I was so hyped on him coming into the league, drafted him in both dynasty leagues, sold him in both.  It is the bears.

So glad I sat him thinking he wouldn't play, then worried how effective he'd be. Seems pretty rare for someone to get concussed on a Sunday, then come back and play on a Thursday. Much less put up these numbers...

Users who are viewing this thread