What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (3 Viewers)

I have seen Boykin perform well in an NFL game, have not seen Adams do a thing yet.
If that's your logic, you'd trade Sammy Watkins for Boykin.
Yep. And to me Boykin would not even be worth a top 30 rookie draft pick.
It's a very deep class so I have a hard time saying I would pay a top 30 pick for him but I'd definitely rather have him over Abbrederis and Janis who were taken at #30 in some of my drafts. He's definitely the main beneficiary, not Adams as a rookie, if Cobb or Nelson get hurt.

Davante Adams is VERY GOOD, very fundamental. If he gets a starting job, he'll definitely be on a handful of my teams.

Davante Adams is VERY GOOD, very fundamental. If he gets a starting job, he'll definitely be on a handful of my teams.
Put Boykin on the pass happy Fresno St. offense and you would have seen numbers approaching Adams.

Attempts per game by Virginia Tech: 20.8, 19.2, 24.5, 28.9

Attempts per game by Fresno St.: 41.2, 51.9

Undrafted WR Isaiah Burse caught 100 passes last year.

Put Boykin on the pass happy Fresno St. offense and you would have seen numbers approaching Adams.

All I know is that James Jones just left Green Bay leaving some balls to be caught. From what I've seen on tape, Adams can fill James Jones old role perfectly.

Not a knock on Boykin but Adams is your upside guy. Rodgers makes everyone look good though.

All I know is that James Jones just left Green Bay leaving some balls to be caught. From what I've seen on tape, Adams can fill James Jones old role perfectly.

Not a knock on Boykin but Adams is your upside guy. Rodgers makes everyone look good though.
Nothing against Adams and it's a great situation, but he's going off the board between 1.6 and 1.8 - that's rich for a guy who might be the #4 for a couple more years at least if Cobb and Nelson are re-signed and Boykin is kept as a RFA.

All I know is that James Jones just left Green Bay leaving some balls to be caught. From what I've seen on tape, Adams can fill James Jones old role perfectly.Not a knock on Boykin but Adams is your upside guy. Rodgers makes everyone look good though.
Nothing against Adams and it's a great situation, but he's going off the board between 1.6 and 1.8 - that's rich for a guy who might be the #4 for a couple more years at least if Cobb and Nelson are re-signed and Boykin is kept as a RFA.
Boykin isn't that great of a talent. Certainly not better than Adams. And that aside, it's extremely unlikely they have the money to retain both Nelson & Cobb. One will be gone in 2015. My money is on Nelson departing and Cobb getting a nice fat 5-7 year deal. Adams will likely be the #3 in the offense most of this season and we've seen in past seasons what value the WR3 for Rodgers holds.

I'm guessing that Adams and Boykins water each other's stats down this year but that Adams will eventually take the 3 spot (BTW, Boykins is better than most people think). Adam's real value lies in the possibility that Nelson or Cobb moves on but I do not think that is a certainty. I like Adams at 1.11 or 1.12 in rookie drafts.

A lot of posters loving on Boykin. But, I'm still skeptical.

If Green Bay liked him even a little, they wouldn't have selected 3 wide receivers in the draft. I highly doubt the team thinks he's capable of replacing Cobb or Nelson.

Although, I can see Boyking filling the old James Jones role - scoring 35 points on your bench, and 2 points when you start him.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Green Bay liked him even a little, they wouldn't have selected 3 wide receivers in the draft. I highly doubt the team thinks he's capable of replacing Cobb or Nelson.

Although, I can see Boyking filling the old James Jones role - scoring 35 points on your bench, and 2 points when you start him.
It appears unlikely Boykin will be signed to a long-term deal. However, they have several options for next year:

- 2nd round tender (~2.2M)

- Original round tender (~1.4M) - they could match but receive no compensation if he leaves

- No offer and let him walk

It appears unlikely Boykin will be signed to a long-term deal. However, they have several options for next year:

- Original round tender (~1.4M) - they could match but receive no compensation if he leaves

As clop said, would they really have selected three wide outs in the draft if they had any appreciation for Boykin's game? Seems unlikely to me.

Mike Evans and Adams compare quite favorably in a lot of ways. The former has a little more top end, while the latter has lighter feet and greater flexibility. Both will make excellent red-zone targets catching jump balls. They make acrobatic grabs over defensive backs look easy.

But I like Adams more as a player, as I see him having greater success doing possession receiver type stuff - after he learns how. Combine with the fact Adams gets Aaron Rodgers throwing him passes throughout his first contract, and it's a no-brainer - IMO anyhow. If I have the 1.02, I'm trading back all day.

Great year to draft at the back of the first, or to find a sucker willing to trade up.
Yep. That's what I did. My favorite WRs (Davante Adams, Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews) have been consistently going between 4-12 so if those are the guys you are targeting, you might as well trade back and get something more for your high pick.

As clop said, would they really have selected three wide outs in the draft if they had any appreciation for Boykin's game? Seems unlikely to me.
The Packers respected Jones but had to let him go because of the money. They will do the same with Boykin, either in 2015 or 2016, but that doesn't mean they don't respect his game.

I don't read too much into Abbrederis and Janis since the Packers had 9 picks in the draft and took them with their 7th and 9th picks. Abbrederis is a return guy and should be the #5 this year. Janis could make the team but he seems destined for the practice squad for now.

My gut says they find a way to keep Cobb and Nelson.

Nelson had this to say after signing his 3 year/$12M deal in 2012:

"I don't think anyone's worth $12 million to play football if you ask me," said the 27-year-old Nelson, who's beginning his fifth season. "It doesn't bother me. Obviously, you can sit there and look at it and wonder if I signed too early or whatever, but I'm fine.

"I've got bigger issues than looking for more money."
As for Cobb, the highest paid slot receiver in the NFL is Cruz who is earning $6.75M a year over the first 3 years of his contract. If the Packers could pull off a similar deal for Cobb it wouldn't break their bank.

I think Adams steps into the role that James Jones has had with the Packers. I do not think it matters much if Nelson and/or Cobb are re-signed as this role will still see 80-100 targets.

James Jones targets-

2007 80

2008 30 (injured only played in 10 games)

2009 63

2010 87

2011 55

2012 98

2013 93

I think Adams has better hands than Jones, so he may be more successful than Jones was. There is obviously a lot of RZ potential here.

If Nelson leaves I think that could open up a job for Janis/Boykin/Abberderis. If Cobb were let go then Abberderis might win that role in the offense. However the rest of that pans out I think Adams has a decent role/chunk of the offense.

I took Adams in a league with 15 player rosters and high points for receiving yards. The draft was before the NFL draft.

Just traded him straight up for Mike Wallace. Happy.

I took Adams in a league with 15 player rosters and high points for receiving yards. The draft was before the NFL draft.

If this is dynasty, I don't like it at all.

I think Adams steps into the role that James Jones has had with the Packers. I do not think it matters much if Nelson and/or Cobb are re-signed as this role will still see 80-100 targets.

If Nelson leaves I think that could open up a job for Janis/Boykin/Abberderis.
This seems to presume Adams passes Boykin. I don't see it, at least not this year.

I'd also add that in terms of metrics Adams are really strikingly similar. Adams is a little faster and has a few more inches on his vertical and Boykin is just a little bit taller with significantly bigger hands. Really almost every metric between the two so from a size/speed ratio is so close it's like splitting hairs.

My belief is Boykin is the #3 this season. Adams will ascend into the #3 or greater next season if he shows well because they won't resign Cobb/Nelson and Boykin.

This seems to presume Adams passes Boykin. I don't see it, at least not this year.

I'd also add that in terms of metrics Adams are really strikingly similar. Adams is a little faster and has a few more inches on his vertical and Boykin is just a little bit taller with significantly bigger hands. Really almost every metric between the two so from a size/speed ratio is so close it's like splitting hairs.

My belief is Boykin is the #3 this season. Adams will ascend into the #3 or greater next season if he shows well because they won't resign Cobb/Nelson and Boykin.
I do not know much about Boykin so perhaps you are correct that he is competing for the same role in the offense as Adams? That is not clear to me.

As far as measurables between the 2 players being close, what I like about Adams is not his athleticism. I like his hands, toughness and route running.

I hate to say it but the Packers have been very good at finding WR after the 1st round that work for them. So that track record combined with Adams draft position gives me reason to have confidence that he will ultimately become a starter for them.

identikit said:
scothawk said:

If this is dynasty, I don't like it at all.
It is dynasty. The key point is it is 15 man rosters. No space to stash guys who are #3 or #4 on their team. Production needs to be now. This is accentuated by the scoring system. I'm struggling to see an argument for Adams over Wallace in this circumstance.

That said, from what I have read about Wallace this off season, I would probably like him more anyway. He has a clearly defined role and they want to work him into the offense more.

I like Adams more than most, but he is still an unknown professional right now. Whilst I dont want this thread to turn into a discussion about my trade or my team, I threw it out there to show what Adams value was in the eye of some owners. Your reaction underpins my feeling that right now he is a sell.

Biabreakable said:
menobrown said:
Biabreakable said:

I do not know much about Boykin so perhaps you are correct that he is competing for the same role in the offense as Adams? That is not clear to me.

As far as measurables between the 2 players being close, what I like about Adams is not his athleticism. I like his hands, toughness and route running.

I hate to say it but the Packers have been very good at finding WR after the 1st round that work for them. So that track record combined with Adams draft position gives me reason to have confidence that he will ultimately become a starter for them.
That sums up Boykin.

menobrown said:
Biabreakable said:

I'm a fan of Boykin but like James Jones this year he looks like the odd man out next year.

@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Remember...comps use pre-draft info for all players - current prospects are compared only to past *prospects*. NFL careers not considered.
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Ranked first by tier, and then within tier. Assumes all positions have equal value.
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

#11: Davante Adams: Steve Johnson, Dez White, Koren Robinson, possibly Michael Crabtree
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Forgot to mention... #6 to #12 are Elite Prospects with Added Risk or Good Prospects with Clean Profiles

Davante Adams - WR - Packers
Packers second-round WR Davante Adams reportedly battled drop issues during OTAs and minicamp.
We wouldn't make too much of this as Adams showed excellent ball skills and strong hands while catching 131 passes from Derek Carr at Fresno State last season. We're still expecting him to push Jarrett Boykin very hard for the No. 3 wideout job at training camp. Adams has a significant natural talent edge.
Related: Jarrett Boykin

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 30 - 10:30 AM

Skeletore Eh said:
Packers second-round WR Davante Adams reportedly battled drop issues during OTAs and minicamp.
We wouldn't make too much of this as Adams showed excellent ball skills and strong hands while catching 131 passes from Derek Carr at Fresno State last season. We're still expecting him to push Jarrett Boykin very hard for the No. 3 wideout job at training camp. Adams has a significant natural talent edge.

See post 49

Skeletore Eh said:

See post 49
I don't think they're referring to measured drills. I have to agree with them. Boykin can't do the things Adams can on the field. Good player still that could produce with Rodgers, but just isn't on Adams' level.

Boykin can't do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN-TuQs-oyA

Instead he can only do this:

For a guy with 10-1/4" hands, he has a hard time gripping the basketball.

Skeletore Eh said:

See post 49
I don't think they're referring to measured drills. I have to agree with them. Boykin can't do the things Adams can on the field. Good player still that could produce with Rodgers, but just isn't on Adams' level.

Boykin can't do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN-TuQs-oyA

Instead he can only do this:

For a guy with 10-1/4" hands, he has a hard time gripping the basketball.
How many missed dunks were edited out of Adams' video?

See post 49

Boykin can't do this:

Miss or make, Adams appears much more athletic. His dunks are more challenging and he seems effortless. I think this translates to jump ball and body control on the football field--2 things Adams did VERY well in college.

From a dynasty perspective, Davante Adams looks to be one of the safer rookie picks that could be made at the end of round 1, early round 2 part of the drafts. In our 12 team PPR league, he went 2nd pick of 2nd round. Interestingly, still on the board were Kelvin Benjamin and Cody Latimer and Marqise Lee.

From a dynasty perspective, Davante Adams looks to be one of the safer rookie picks that could be made at the end of round 1, early round 2 part of the drafts. In our 12 team PPR league, he went 2nd pick of 2nd round. Interestingly, still on the board were Kelvin Benjamin and Cody Latimer and Marqise Lee.
I think you nailed it. He's safer than Benjamin because well...Benjamin is raw. He's safer than Lee because Jacksonville is the suck and Lee might not even be the best ROOKIE receiver. And he's safer than Latimer because of Peyton's age.

Unless Cobb is also re-signed in GB.

http://lombardiave.com/2014/07/28/takeaways-packers-first-padded-practice/

The guy who is really out to an impressive start in camp is second-round pick Davante Adams.

So far, Adams has caught everything thrown his way, and working with the second offensive unit, he’s matched up against he Packers defensive starters, making his fast start in camp even more impressive.

Adams is a candidate for a breakout rookie season this year, but he’ll have to compete with Boykin for playing time.

I'm glad to see Adams improving his technique, but he looks pretty stiff to me. Nice one-handed catch.
I see functional lateral quickness off the line and out of his breaks and hard stops by sinking his hips well. Things that translate to "getting open". Whether you think that is perceived as "stiff" is debatable. Whether being stiff or smooth allows one to "get open" is debatable.

I see functional lateral quickness off the line and out of his breaks and hard stops by sinking his hips well.
I equate stiff hips with a lack of sinking hips, which hinders a receiver from getting open. He can't maintain speed through his breaks, so he has to slow down or round off his route.

With regards to Adams, he doesn't sink his hips as well as other wide receivers in this draft. Pause the video at 0:02 to see how his lower and upper body line up, although I'm glad to see him get so low. Pause at 0:10 seconds and he leans rather than dips. You can see some hip bend at 0:58, but nothing remarkable. Compare the Adams throttle down to Ameer Abdulah's in this GIF, and I think there's a significant difference. Maybe Adams has moderate flexibility, but I wouldn't call it his strength.

I agree about his lateral quickness, which he shows off in your video at 0:07.

Users who are viewing this thread