What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (2 Viewers)

From rotoworld:

Coach Mike McCarthy said WR Davante Adams has "earned opportunities" and produced.

McCarthy declined to name Adams his new starter opposite Jordy Nelson, but it appears we're eventually heading in that direction. After a Jarrett Boykin red-zone drop in Week 2, Adams came on and shined with a 5-50-0 line on seven targets and 37 snaps. As the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says, Boykin is "steady" but Adams can "stress a defense." The second-round rookie is the one to stash as the potential home run if he can fully pass Boykin. As for this week's potential shootout with the Lions, expect a rotation. Sep 18 - 8:06 AM

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I'm a little confused by this statement as I thought Nelson and Cobb are the 1/2 and Boykin the third guy. Is a 3 WR set the base set for the Packers? Does Cobb line up in the slot?
Yes. Cobb plays 90%+ in the slot. Lots of teams run 3-WR as a "base".

From rotoworld:

Coach Mike McCarthy said WR Davante Adams has "earned opportunities" and produced.

McCarthy declined to name Adams his new starter opposite Jordy Nelson, but it appears we're eventually heading in that direction. After a Jarrett Boykin red-zone drop in Week 2, Adams came on and shined with a 5-50-0 line on seven targets and 37 snaps. As the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says, Boykin is "steady" but Adams can "stress a defense." The second-round rookie is the one to stash as the potential home run if he can fully pass Boykin. As for this week's potential shootout with the Lions, expect a rotation. Sep 18 - 8:06 AM

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I'm a little confused by this statement as I thought Nelson and Cobb are the 1/2 and Boykin the third guy. Is a 3 WR set the base set for the Packers? Does Cobb line up in the slot?
Yes. Cobb plays 90%+ in the slot. Lots of teams run 3-WR as a "base".
At the Jets game last week, they announced 3 WRs as starters. In line with Xue's comment.

Picked him up to start next week for some bye week woes. Never do I wish injury on anyone, but would love if Nelson or Cobb could get the flu next week.

Added him in a 12 team league as a Cobb owner. He serves as both a high upside WR4 who could fill that James Jones role and a handcuff to Cobb or is an instant WR2 if Jordy or Cobb gets hurt.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
does cobb still play out of the slot when adams is in?
Yes. Cobb plays 90% in the slot. He played 80%+ last season. He's a pure slot guy.

Jarrett Boykin (knee) was limited in Wednesday's practice.
It's a new injury for Boykin. He's been losing snaps to rookie Davante Adams the past two games and continues to battle drop issues. Adams will likely take hold of the No. 3 receiver job in Green Bay shortly, making Boykin irrelevant.

It's a new injury for Boykin. He's been losing snaps to rookie Davante Adams the past two games and continues to battle drop issues. Adams will likely take hold of the No. 3 receiver job in Green Bay shortly, making Boykin irrelevant.
Oh, man am I glad I didn't drop Adams in dynasty for my bye week.

People are likely going to be impatient in many leagues, similar to how people dropped Taliaferro after he went touch-less in week 2. Patience is key here as Boykin continues to play himself out of a job. I think something like ~90% of receiving production has gone through Jordy/Cobb so far in the season. I don't think that's sustainable. Look for someone else to step up and my money is on Adams.

People are likely going to be impatient in many leagues, similar to how people dropped Taliaferro after he went touch-less in week 2. Patience is key here as Boykin continues to play himself out of a job. I think something like ~90% of receiving production has gone through Jordy/Cobb so far in the season. I don't think that's sustainable. Look for someone else to step up and my money is on Adams.
Dropping Taliaferro, one's 3rd or 4th round pick, differs greatly from dropping Adams, probably a 1st or 2nd. Most owners will find a way to keep their high picks around for at least a year, while cycling through the later picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice info on Adams / Boykin injury..

Debating to drop Bowe for Adams now. 12 team league - redraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropping Taliaferro, one's 3rd or 4th round pick, differs greatly from dropping Adams, probably a 1st or 2nd. Most owners will find a way to keep their high picks around for at least a year, while cycling through the later picks.
Sorry, I was referring to redraft.

Jarrett Boykin (knee, groin) is listed as questionable for Week 4 against the Bears.
Coach Mike McCarthy says Boykin hurt his groin in Thursday's practice, and will be a game-time decision for Sunday. If Boykin, who has already been seeing his snaps reduced thanks to drops, can't play, Davante Adams will likely handle No. 3 duties himself, with fellow rookie Jeff Janis mixing in as the No. 4.
It begins.

I was doing some research on Derrick Carr and youtubed some clips - kept noticing that #15 had some nice catches - had no idea who he was untill now.

Looks legit but has to gain Rodger's trust.

Were you really considering that? I own him in dynasty and I'm holding on tight.

I have him in one dynasty league. I think he has a bright future, but I'd be very surprised if he became a legit fantasy starter this year barring injury to Nelson/Cobb. James Jones knew the offense far better and was mostly a sketchy starter throughout his career. It really does take at least one year to get this offense for WRs. We're probably looking at +/- 500 yards even if he nails the 3 WR spot down for the rest of the year.

I have him in one dynasty league. I think he has a bright future, but I'd be very surprised if he became a legit fantasy starter this year barring injury to Nelson/Cobb. James Jones knew the offense far better and was mostly a sketchy starter throughout his career. It really does take at least one year to get this offense for WRs. We're probably looking at +/- 500 yards even if he nails the 3 WR spot down for the rest of the year.
I'm going to be parroting Evan Silva a bit here but GB has lined up 3-wide ~80% of the time this year. Bostick and Rodgers are in McCarthy's doghouse and Quarless is not a move TE. Boykin has an awful 28% catch rate on the season, dropping balls left and right and is now dealing with multiple injuries. I think simple attrition is going to push Adams into fantasy relevance this year. This offense has proven to be able to feed multiple players past the top two options year in and year out. Assuming Jordy doesn't remain on his monstrous 200 target pace, again, I think Adams becoming fantasy relevant is almost inevitable. Let's see what he does with increased snaps versus an injury plagued CHI secondary this week.

For dynasty, we really drafted him for next year. The hope is they don't resign Cobb and we suddenly have a borderline stud on our hands.

I have pretty much no intention of playing him this year in dynasty. Unless, of course, things change.

Jarrett Boykin (knee, groin) is listed as questionable for Week 4 against the Bears.
Coach Mike McCarthy says Boykin hurt his groin in Thursday's practice, and will be a game-time decision for Sunday. If Boykin, who has already been seeing his snaps reduced thanks to drops, can't play, Davante Adams will likely handle No. 3 duties himself, with fellow rookie Jeff Janis mixing in as the No. 4.
It begins.
Packers declared Jarrett Boykin (knee, groin) inactive for Sunday's Week 4 game at Chicago.
Already trending down due to a poor start to the season, Boykin is now really in the dumps. It's a monster opportunity for talented rookie Davante Adams, who projects to play at least 70 percent of the snaps as Aaron Rodgers' No. 3 wideout. He's a WR3 with upside. Jeff Janis is also active for the first time in his career. The rest of the Packers' inactives: QB Scott Tolzien, CB Demetri Goodson, LB Carl Bradford, LB Brad Jones and C Garth Gerhart.
It's begun.

Rotoworld:

Davante Adams will be the Packers' No. 3 wideout in Sunday's game against the Bears.

It's a monster opportunity for Adams, a physical and polished rookie who was Derek Carr's go-to guy at Fresno State last season. He'll play on roughly 70 percent of the snaps against a banged up and bad Bears defense, putting him squarely on the WR3 radar. Intriguing prospect Jeff Janis will be the No. 4 wideout.

Sep 28 - 12:05 PM

Matchup: Vikings @ Packers

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/49042/179/matchup-vikings--packers

Excerpt:

Wednesday Update: Coach Mike McCarthy stated in his Wednesday press conference that he expects rookie Adams to see more opportunities Thursday night as opponents begin to tilt coverage in target monster Nelson's direction. The Packers clearly want Adams to become a significant part of their passing game. Boykin (groin/knee) has been ruled out for Week 5. So expect Adams to continue to play roughly 70% of Green Bay's offensive snaps. He's definitely worth WR3 consideration against Minnesota.

I really hate Thursday night games with a passion. They do not help spread the NFL at all.

That said, I have Adams and he may be due a spot start this week but I have Calvin and Gronk. If either one of them is "hobbled", a Sunday game would help the Adams scenario.

I really hate Thursday night games.

Rotoworld:

Davante Adams - WR - Packers

Davante Adams caught one pass for 11 yards and a touchdown in Thursday night's Week 5 win over the Vikings.

Adams was the full-time No. 3 receiver with Jarrett Boykin sidelined. He wasn't on the same page with Aaron Rodgers for most of the first half, securing just one of his four targets. His touchdown came on an 11-yard slant route against Josh Robinson. Adams will continue to start in three-wide sets in Week 6 against Miami.

Oct 3 - 12:18 AM

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers says he's noticed rookie Davante Adams creating separation when reviewing the Packers' games on tape.

Adams hasn't quite had a breakthrough game yet, but it's coming. "Davante, he’s open on film a lot," Rodgers said. "He’s run a lot of good routes. He only had one catch last week, but if he stays confident and keeps making plays like he’s doing in practice, the ball is going to keep coming his way." Adams is still a boom-or-bust WR3, but could leap to WR2 status quickly if Rodgers begins trusting him more. Over the last two weeks, Adams has played 74 percent of Green Bay's offensive snaps. Jarrett Boykin (groin/knee) is considered "highly unlikely" to play Sunday against the Dolphins.

Source: packers.com
Oct 8 - 11:12 PM

He will start producing some nice lines soon... I'm guessing the production will be up and down, but I'm happy I own him in dynasty.

According to Peter King, Adams wasn't even in on it. He just happened to look up and make eye contact in time with Rodgers. He also got very lucky that Finnegan didn't seal him off to the inside, which would have ended the game.

I'm in. Just picked him up in four redraft leagues. :banned: Check out the steady progression of WR offensive snaps:

Week 4: Nelson 52, Cobb 52, Adams 37, Janis 1

Week 5: Adams 44, Cobb 43, Nelson 38, Janis 11 (Blowout of the Vikings this week... but still).

Week 6: Nelson 80, Cobb 73, Adams 62, Janis 3

He also out-targeted Cobb in this most recent game, 8 to 7. Jordy is still the target-monster with 16 last week. Cobb makes the most of his targets though, with 7 TDs on the season already. Adams is gonna have a hard time cracking the red zone pecking order, but he is obviously very involved in the game plan and he's not going anywhere. Boykin is a total non-factor. And as stated above, if anything happens to Jordy or Cobb, Adams' value will soar.

According to Peter King, Adams wasn't even in on it. He just happened to look up and make eye contact in time with Rodgers. He also got very lucky that Finnegan didn't seal him off to the inside, which would have ended the game.
It wasn't luck. Adams was fully aware that Finnegan was baiting him to go inside.

snagged him in all 3 of my teams...his involvement on the offense was too much to ignore. Has tremendous upside in the event of an injury and his role is growing towards flex-worthy even if Cobb/Nelson stay healthy.

I'm in. Just picked him up in four redraft leagues. :banned: Check out the steady progression of WR offensive snaps:

Week 4: Nelson 52, Cobb 52, Adams 37, Janis 1

Week 5: Adams 44, Cobb 43, Nelson 38, Janis 11 (Blowout of the Vikings this week... but still).

Week 6: Nelson 80, Cobb 73, Adams 62, Janis 3

He also out-targeted Cobb in this most recent game, 8 to 7. Jordy is still the target-monster with 16 last week. Cobb makes the most of his targets though, with 7 TDs on the season already. Adams is gonna have a hard time cracking the red zone pecking order, but he is obviously very involved in the game plan and he's not going anywhere. Boykin is a total non-factor. And as stated above, if anything happens to Jordy or Cobb, Adams' value will soar.
I think he's going to start seeing redzone looks now that he's earned Rodgers' trust. Can make tough, contested catches, has good enough size and was a touchdown monster in college.

It's been said before in this thread, but there are some keeper/dynasty implications to watch.

Adams' continued development may go a long way towards whether the Packers re-sign Cobb. It's not a team that typically breaks the bank for players, and with Nelson already signed long-term with some decent coin, they may lose Cobb to a team that throws him a lot more cash.

Last week, the YAC was super impressive. I think 44 of his 77 yards came after the catch. He's entering WR3/flex conversation IMO.

Adams is a nice dynasty stash I'm not willing to roll into my starting lineups yet. If the need arises, I'll be comfortable rolling him in as my WR4 though.

The thought of starting him over T. Williams has crossed my mind this week based upon matchups, but it seems like Romo has counted on Williams when he needs a score or key first down enough to think that while his targets have been few, they are higher value. However Rogers went to Adams on key situations like the Marino play and is getting slightly more targets with a good matchup, had a TD taken away on a sweet improve pass to Adams as well. Seems like both of these WRs have chemistry with their QBs, but Adams targets are trending up and has a better matchup this week, but I could also see him being ignored with Jordy/Cobb going off on CAR Defense. The 3rd option narrative seems to come alive more when coverage is good and Jordy/Cobb are held in check so again I am on the fence.

Rotoworld:

Davante Adams caught his lone target for a 21-yard touchdown in Green Bay's Week 7 win over the Panthers.

The one-look day was disappointing, but Adams remained firmly ahead of Jarrett Boykin, who wasn't targeted in his return from a groin injury. Adams' score was a third-quarter grab he caught along the right hash before cutting through the teeth of the defense en route to the end zone. Adams has obvious home-run potential, but his inconsistent usage makes him a boom-or-bust WR4 for fantasy purposes.

Oct 19 - 6:05 PM

... Adams targets are trending up and has a better matchup this week, but I could also see him being ignored with Jordy/Cobb going off on CAR Defense. The 3rd option narrative seems to come alive more when coverage is good and Jordy/Cobb are held in check ...
Looks like it played as I suspected. Until either Jordy/Cobb get injured he cannot be started with confidence even vs. easy matchups. I would suspect he would be a better start in tough matchups where Jordy/Cobb get blanketed and Adams is left in one on one situations. If its an easy matchup Jordy/Cobb will go off and Lacy is in store for more carries if they get out to a lead. Adams has another easy WR matchup vs NO next week. then bye/CHI/PHI. Prolly won't be starting him anytime soon barring injury.

Users who are viewing this thread