What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (5 Viewers)

I think its noteworthy that Adams has beaten CBs deep multiple times in the last couple of weeks.  Yes, he dropped two TD passes this past weekend, but his hands have been quite good overall.  

It's a tough matchup for the Packers passing offense, as the Vikings under Zimmer have been good vs Aaron Rodgers.  The Packers Oline has been so good as of late though that Rodgers seems likely to have a good day.  When that happens, Adams and Nelson are FF WR1s. 

Weather also looks much better this weekend.  Forecast calls for 32 degrees and little to no wind at Lambeau.  Much better passing conditions than the below zero wind chills last week in Chicago.  

Yes in mine. Moreover I'm going against Nelson owner and our matchup is projected as about dead even (not that I place much value in those). I could only sit him for Mithcell or JJ Nelson. Don't think so....

What do we make of this guy? Can he be used in a package to get someone better? Should he be if he can approach what he did?

He's quite the enigma.

Andy Dufresne said:
What do we make of this guy? Can he be used in a package to get someone better? Should he be if he can approach what he did?

He's quite the enigma.
I'm a fan. I rode him and Jordy to the championship last year. There's nothing like having those two guys when Rodgers starts going nuts.

I am a believer in having guys on good offenses with good QB's. I'm holding and hoping, because if he stays in GB and Jordy ages out, the potential to be the top dog in GB is too big a draw for me to let him go now.

He seems like a buy or a hold to me. His current value is commensurate with the production he's currently providing, not the the upside of he becomes the wr1 when jordy leaves. 

I get that some may think he won't become that wr1 on GB, but that part of his value is almost free. He finished as wr9 last year and is being drafted as wr20 in dynasty startups. 

He seems like a solid pick at his ADP- the end of a tier of WRs that have a clear path to WR1 numbers. 

He seems like a solid pick at his ADP- the end of a tier of WRs that have a clear path to WR1 numbers. 
Agree this far...seems decent value.  You will have to live with those games where Jordy takes over...or Cobb gets the focus.

The worry to me is that...Cobb + how they utilize Bennett.  Adams should be in line for a nice year though...similar to last year with TDs being the hard thing to predict.

70, 900-1000 yards and 9 TDs 

I have never seen a helmet distort the way Adams' did. I didn't even know they could buckle like that. 

Honestly looked like he was wearing a toy helmet ... or something that should be upside down holding the chips and dip.

I'm surprised his skull isn't fractured. Pretty gruesome. 

If you haven't seen it yet, scroll halfway down this page for the super slow mo:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735795-nfl-must-come-down-strong-on-bears-danny-trevathan-after-brutal-hit?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Trevathan certainly took out his frustration on that hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a he lost a tooth too. A little white doodad flies out right before the mouthpiece. What is that?

Some of Adams' injuries might've been sustained because the hit was under the top of the helmet which made it fly off right after impact.

As far as the helmet giving way, I could be wrong, but I believe most every player is wearing the new ones & I think they're designed to give some.

Was he wearing one of those new helmets that are made to give way?
I do believe they have redesigned the helmets in such a way to help prevent concussions and that may be a part of the design.

I saw the play live during broadcast. It was a hell of hit and I hope Adams is alright.  

Didn't see that the first time... I think his mouthguard connected to the helmet and it was a piece that broke off, but could have been a tooth

Watching it live made me cringe and wonder if I saw someone die on the football field. 

That was an absolutely unnecessary scud missile hit.

I would have bet even money that DaVante's neck was snapped.

IMO Trevathan got off lightly with only a 2 game suspension. 

Hard to believe none of the Packers OL went after Trevathan immediately after that hit.
Reading the local Green Bay newspaper tonight, a bunch of the players who were interviewed didn't realize how bad the play by Trevathan was until a) after the play and b) in some cases after the game was over.

Pleased for Adams.  That said, if there is a place the team maybe could take a one week absence due to injury it is at W.R.  Much more important, in my estimation, to get Bulaga, Bahktieri, and Daniels back.  After that one of the R.B.'s and then House.  This team, if healthy, can accomplish great things this year.  Let's start by protecting the franchise.  Get those tackles back.

Cleared the concussion protocol and is expected to play! :thumbup:   Never would have thought he wouldn't even miss a single game after that hit.  

Davante Adams has cleared the concussion protocol and is expected to play in Sunday's game with Dallas.

Adams won't miss any time after getting stretched off on a helmet-to-helmet last week. He had been trending toward playing after traveling with the team on Saturday. Adams has started slow, but has at least 60 yards or a touchdown in three-of-four games. He's in a plus Week 5 spot against an injured Dallas secondary.

I’m happy for him. That said, I wish he would’ve taken a week to rest. I guess 10 days really helped. Hope he plays well and goes off. 

Ive got Parker in over him in one league and Maclin in another. 

im stumped. Is this the game he goes off? Are they careful with him? Does he get the "yips"? 

Im the underdog in both but think I'm going to keep him on bench.

Ive got Parker in over him in one league and Maclin in another. 

im stumped. Is this the game he goes off? Are they careful with him? Does he get the "yips"? 

Im the underdog in both but think I'm going to keep him on bench.
Someone said the last time he cleared concussion protocol was for a Thursday game when he went for 13/132/2. Completely stumped on his usage today. 

jrwall said:
Someone said the last time he cleared concussion protocol was for a Thursday game when he went for 13/132/2. Completely stumped on his usage today. 
This is insane. Has now gone off both times he’s come back from a concussion. 

Fitting that Davante Adams is healthy and caught the game winning touchdown while Danny Trevathan has to sit his game out tomorrow.

Posted in a thread he was a buy low a couple weeks ago. It's to late now but he's Aaron Rodgers #1 WR by the end of year........hope some people traded for him. 

Posted in a thread he was a buy low a couple weeks ago. It's to late now but he's Aaron Rodgers #1 WR by the end of year........hope some people traded for him. 
Yeah, when ARod said he was going to have a huge year I traded for him before the season started. Only cost me an 11th round pick in my keeper league. Excited about the trajectory. 

Thoughts with Hundley? Being offered Adams as part of a package in a dynasty trade. Obviously the Packers offense goes way down, but I wouldn't be surprised if one particular guy gets Hundley's focus and puts up stud numbers: is it Adams? Or Nelson. Or Cobb. Or a TE or RB.

Thoughts with Hundley? Being offered Adams as part of a package in a dynasty trade. Obviously the Packers offense goes way down, but I wouldn't be surprised if one particular guy gets Hundley's focus and puts up stud numbers: is it Adams? Or Nelson. Or Cobb. Or a TE or RB.
Adams and Nelson both seemed to be targeted quite a bit by Hundley.

As I said with the RBs though...its hard to judge what this will all look like coming off of that game.  Hundley thrown in without practicing with these top guys as much, the OL the way it was, against the pressure the Vikings DL was able to bring.  A week of practice...see what the OL is this weekend.  I think you will just have more inconsistency between them.  I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the next 2 weeks to play other options (the uncertainty this week and then the bye).  Unfortunately, I don't have many other options and will play Nelson no matter what.  I think both of these guys are talented enough and GB will pass enough.  Other teams still have guys performing even with McCown or Keenum at QB...I don't think its homeristic to think Hundley can still put up the numbers to the top WRs on the team.

I'm not afraid of Adams in dynasty in a vaccuum but I would definitely be looking at it as more of a long-term thing.  This year is a total crapshoot.  Rodgers will be back next year and if they bring Adams back in FA that's going to mean an ascension in the pecking order for him.  RIght now he's 1B to Nelson but that will only get better.  If they don't bring him back it will be because someone else threw huge money at him, and thus should be committed to feeding him the ball.  Adams' Points per Target are borderline elite over the last 1.25 seasons.  Some of that may be from Rodgers dropping dimes but even if he goes elsewhere it's likely his targets increase so he can take a hit on PPT. 

I'm not afraid of Adams in dynasty in a vaccuum but I would definitely be looking at it as more of a long-term thing.  This year is a total crapshoot.  Rodgers will be back next year and if they bring Adams back in FA that's going to mean an ascension in the pecking order for him.  RIght now he's 1B to Nelson but that will only get better.  If they don't bring him back it will be because someone else threw huge money at him, and thus should be committed to feeding him the ball.  Adams' Points per Target are borderline elite over the last 1.25 seasons.  Some of that may be from Rodgers dropping dimes but even if he goes elsewhere it's likely his targets increase so he can take a hit on PPT. 
My opinion is that the Packers do not bring Adams back unless he is willing to sign a team friendly deal similar to what Nelson did with his second contract and Cobb did with his most recent one (although Cobb is now at a point where he is one of the highest paid WRs in the league- 8th in 2017). 

Next year Cobb and Nelson stand to be the 8th and 9th highest paid WRs in the league (12.5 mil average each). The only other team with 2 Wrs in the top 15 is Denver with DT at  10 and Sanders at 13. 

Adams' new contract should at least pay him like a WR2, maybe even a WR1. Rodgers also needs a new contract; his is up after 2018. Clay Matthews makes a heck of a lot of money next year as well.

My point is the Packers just can't commit more money to their WRs when they are paying their top two guys 25 million dollars next season and need to lock up their QB for another large contract- likely making him the highest paid QB in the league. 

Adams is gone unless he wants to sign for 3 million or something, and he's worth more. I don't blame him for chasing money elsewhere. He's likely to get 6-8 million a season. GB cannot afford that. They have Geronimo, who they like a lot. They also have some promising youth on the roster which they don't need now but could step it up. They likely take a WR round 2-3 next year with a higher draft pick, who could turn out to be a Nelson replacement. 

We have seen other pretty good WRs leave GB and go on to just completely fizzle out: Javon Walker, Greg Jennings, James Jones. Adams likely is added to that list. He benefits greatly from Rodgers. His dynasty value depends on where he goes; if it's a team like Jacksonville, might as well just sell now if you can. It's a crap shoot. 

If I had Adams in dynasty I'd probably try to sell if I could

I think he's fine the rest of this season, solid WR2.

So if he (likely) goes somewhere else in 2018, who is going to pay him? San Fran? Cleveland? Arizona?

My opinion is that the Packers do not bring Adams back unless he is willing to sign a team friendly deal similar to what Nelson did with his second contract and Cobb did with his most recent one (although Cobb is now at a point where he is one of the highest paid WRs in the league- 8th in 2017). 

Next year Cobb and Nelson stand to be the 8th and 9th highest paid WRs in the league (12.5 mil average each). The only other team with 2 Wrs in the top 15 is Denver with DT at  10 and Sanders at 13. 

Adams' new contract should at least pay him like a WR2, maybe even a WR1. Rodgers also needs a new contract; his is up after 2018. Clay Matthews makes a heck of a lot of money next year as well.

My point is the Packers just can't commit more money to their WRs when they are paying their top two guys 25 million dollars next season and need to lock up their QB for another large contract- likely making him the highest paid QB in the league. 

Adams is gone unless he wants to sign for 3 million or something, and he's worth more. I don't blame him for chasing money elsewhere. He's likely to get 6-8 million a season. GB cannot afford that. They have Geronimo, who they like a lot. They also have some promising youth on the roster which they don't need now but could step it up. They likely take a WR round 2-3 next year with a higher draft pick, who could turn out to be a Nelson replacement. 

We have seen other pretty good WRs leave GB and go on to just completely fizzle out: Javon Walker, Greg Jennings, James Jones. Adams likely is added to that list. He benefits greatly from Rodgers. His dynasty value depends on where he goes; if it's a team like Jacksonville, might as well just sell now if you can. It's a crap shoot. 

I try not to be negative on these boards but this is one of the worst posts I have ever seen. I don't think you got anything right.

Adams is the future #1 receiver for the Packers for the next 5-10 years (if he isn't already - he drew Rhodes all game against MIN, not Nelson) ... he's not going anywhere.  Given his age, I would take him in a vacuum over the other two any day of the week. Cobb hasn't proven he can play elite at the slot, let alone outside (where the big boys play!).  Adams' talent, size, and athleticism is substantially more valuable in the NFL than what Cobb brings to the table. And (obviously) he's EIGHT years younger than Nelson. 

Both Nelson and Cobb have their deals expiring in 2018.  Cutting either one results in massive cap savings (Cobb - $9.5M,  Nelson - $10M+) with relatively modest dead money hits ($2-$3M each).  One of them seems likely to get released next year to free up space for Adams' extension.  Nelson is on the wrong side of 30 and Cobb hasn't lived up to his contract.  Since Nelson is 32, though, and Adams has essentially taken over his duties, Nelson is probably the odd man out. That said, they do have the cap space to carry all three (even with a new deal for Adams) and could let both older WRs go the next year (while drafting younger replacements) and get MASSIVE compensatory picks back. Spending essentially $10M for a 3rd round pick is a decent deal, and you get their production for another year.  It's historically unlikely for an NFL to do so, but I could see them carrying all three at big cap hits for one year.

The fact that you think Adams is gone unless he signs for $3M is ludicrous. The guy is going to get paid $10M+/year by the Packers and be our #1 receiver for the next decade. He was a top draft pick, top collegiate producer, and has developed into a top NFL receiver. He's going to get paid and is not going anywhere.

Comparing Allison to Adams is insane. The guy is not within three tiers of talent, draft status, or production at any level of the game. Allison is a replacement level player, at best.

I disagree.  Jordy is on the downward slope and while still very good he's on the wrong side of 30.  Cobb is just a slot guy and while looking better than last year is a good but not great WR.  I think the last thing the Packers can afford to do is let a young weapon go especially with Rodgers age.  They don't have time to break in another young weapon. Honestly I think Adams has looked better than Jordy so far this year.  Cobb is the odd man out IMO.  I know this wouldn't be a popular amongst Packer fans but I'd rather lose Jordy than Adams if it comes down to those two.  He'll be 33 next season...ancient for a WR.

Users who are viewing this thread