What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (1 Viewer)

So most likely he's out this week and returns next week? That's what I'm thinking if it's not a high sprain. Trying to decide what I want to do with him in my very short bench league (Min & Max 4 WR, best ball). He's my WR4 and I was pretty excited to scoop him up when he was dropped last week. Then, well, you know...

So "acting like a star" makes you a future one?

Crabtree was a good player before his injury.

Nobody is saying he sucks. He's just not a superstar.
It would seem Aaron Rodgers disagrees with your assessment.
Please explain.Multiple scouts and analysts agree he is not a special talent.

He's not even on Marvin Jones' level of talent IMO.
Hard to argue with Ted Thompson's assessment of talent, especially at WR.

Ted Thompson 2nd round WRs:

Davante Adams

Randall Cobb

Jordy Nelson

Greg Jennings

Terrance Murphy (career over in first training camp due to neck injury).

If you stretch that out to the 3rd round you add:

James Jones

Ty Montgomery

The track record is amazing. Think about it this way, what is the track record of the scouts that you read on WRs? Before he took Davante Adams, Thompson took three WRs in the 2nd round that were all pro bowlers.

Now couple that with Mike McCarthy calling Adams the MVP of the OTAs, and Aaron Rodgers comments, and I honestly don't really care what any random scout said about him coming out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/21146/mike-mccarthy-davante-adams-is-packers-mvp-of-the-offseason

Actually, when it comes to player evaluation, I tend to lean towards ROYALWIT[H]CHEESE over Thompson, McCarty, and Rodgers.
Never trust a guy that can't spell "with".
Character limits on another board, smart guy. It's also "Royale".Check my track record:

- Hunter is too soft to be a star

- Patterson is too horrible of a study and route runner to succeed as a startable fantasy player

- James white is not athletic enough to start at RB

- Randy Moss has plenty left in the tank (2007)

- Cobb is a future star

- Trent Richardson is not the same player he was in college

I'm not always right, but I'm well above 50/50.

Once again, it feels like in the shark pool you can't say a guy is "just okay". Either he's 100% Jordy Nelson, or he absolutely sucks.

I've said from day one, he is talented. I stand by my opinion that he is no "superstar in the making". He's just okay. Slightly above average. Good enough to be startable as long as Rodgers is his QB. My 900/9 prognosis seems to be much too generous to be quite honest.

I get it, they talked him up in OTAs. Big whoop. He needs to show me something before I declare him a superstar. I haven't seen him do one special thing in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, when it comes to player evaluation, I tend to lean towards ROYALWITHCHEESE over Thompson, McCarty, and Rodgers.
Thanks for the info. Let me take this down: "Must be NFL QB, GM, or HC before giving opinions on players in fantasy message board." Got it!

Davante Adams - WR - Packers
Packers coach Mike McCarthy said there's a "slight" chance Davante Adams (ankle) will play against the 49ers on Sunday.
"He's going to have to jump through some hoops tomorrow," said McCarthy. "We'll see how it goes." Barring a miraculous recovery, we wouldn't expect to see Adams in uniform on Sunday. With Adams likely to sit, look for James Jones and Ty Montgomery to be more involved in Green Bay's passing attack.
I'd rather him just sit out and get fully healthy.

ericttspikes said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Kitrick Taylor said:

At WR yes, LB (excepting Clay), D line not so much. He's been pretty good at DB though.

Wish Adams had sat out last week. Montgomery has done well when given the chance.

I drafted Adams and Montgomery and having been riding the Jordy/JJ/ankle roller coaster off and on.

So far in his career I've been unimpressed by Adams, relative to the hype. I see at best another Michael Crabtree. Not terrible by any means, just meh.

I'm actually much more curious to see what Montgomery can do. I think he's got some Anquan to him if he can get rolling while Adams is out. He was an OTA superstar too, if we're hanging hats on that stand.

The sneaky play here for this year was clearly James Jones. Maybe that'll swing the young guys' way as the season wears, but I don't think it's likely. JJ looking entrenched right now.

Character limits on another board, smart guy. It's also "Royale".Check my track record:

- Patterson is too horrible of a study and route runner to succeed as a startable fantasy player

- Cobb is a future star

Looks like 100% to me. :thumbup:

Actually, when it comes to player evaluation, I tend to lean towards ROYALWIT[H]CHEESE over Thompson, McCarty, and Rodgers.

- Cobb is a future star

Once again, it feels like in the shark pool you can't say a guy is "just okay". Either he's 100% Jordy Nelson, or he absolutely sucks.

I've said from day one, he is talented. I stand by my opinion that he is no "superstar in the making". He's just okay. Slightly above average. Good enough to be startable as long as Rodgers is his QB. My 900/9 prognosis seems to be much too generous to be quite honest.

I get it, they talked him up in OTAs. Big whoop. He needs to show me something before I declare him a superstar. I haven't seen him do one special thing in the NFL.
I don't think many, if any, think he's an elite talent "superstar in the making". Most feel that being "talented" and playing with Aaron Rodgers is enough to be productive. He hasn't been healthy so far this season so it's hard to say if 900/9 is too generous or not.

- Cobb is a future star

I could create a list like this too. Without links, I'm calling bullsh!t

- Cobb is a future star

I don't think many, if any, think he's an elite talent "superstar in the making". Most feel that being "talented" and playing with Aaron Rodgers is enough to be productive. He hasn't been healthy so far this season so it's hard to say if 900/9 is too generous or not.
Exactly. He doesn't need to be Julio Jones to be a fantasy WR1 or WR2 in this offense.

eg James Jones isn't good enough to make the Raiders or the Giants. Yet there he is sitting as the 14th overall scoring WR so far this year. (ironically, one spot ahead of Emmanuel Sanders).

Is saying he's like Crabtree an insult? Crabtree had an 8 game stretch of 51/823/7 with Kaep at QB before he tore his Achilles. He probably would have done pretty well with ARod.

Is saying he's like Crabtree an insult? Crabtree had an 8 game stretch of 51/823/7 with Kaep at QB before he tore his Achilles. He probably would have done pretty well with ARod.
It's a good point. Stephen Hawking could probably put up a 500 yard season with Rodgers.

It's hard to separate the performance of QB's and WR's sometimes. I think he's looked pretty good, and not just because of who's throwing to him, and I'm holding and hoping for good health.

Was surprised to see Davante dropped today in my 12 team non-PPR today (by a guy who still has Richard Rodgers, FJax, and Asiata on his bench nonetheless :lmao: )

Really want to pick him up, but now with Luck maybe not playing gotta drop the end of my bench I guess (Rawls) for a backup QB.

What are people still valuing Adams at? In this same league, non-PPR, Im actually considering dropping Sproles for Adams.

I'm pretty worried about his Dynasty value. I owned him in two leagues and already sold in one, thinking about selling in the other too.

My concerns are:

1) He's hurt right now, not improving rapport with Rodgers.

2) When he's not hurt, Jones and Cobb are dominating the looks and targets this year. Does he get fully healthy at all this year?

3) I see a lot of scenarios where there are too many mouths to feed in GB

a) Jones comes back cheap next year and GB has Jones/Nelson/Cobb with Adams as #4

b) Jones isn't invited back because Montgomery or Janis develop enough this year. Adams could split time with those guys in that case. GB has a ton of WR talent.

4) We're probably going to have to wait a while for him to emerge as a fantasy star if he ever does. He'll have his weeks this year I'm sure, but next year his upside seems capped so patience will be key and it could be a long wait.

The positives are:

1) Upside is HUGE. Rapport with Aaron Rodgers = Fantasy Stud even if average talent.

2) He looks pretty talented after the catch to me.

3) He's only 22

I'm pretty worried about his Dynasty value. I owned him in two leagues and already sold in one, thinking about selling in the other too.

My concerns are:

1) He's hurt right now, not improving rapport with Rodgers.

2) When he's not hurt, Jones and Cobb are dominating the looks and targets this year. Does he get fully healthy at all this year?

3) I see a lot of scenarios where there are too many mouths to feed in GB

a) Jones comes back cheap next year and GB has Jones/Nelson/Cobb with Adams as #4

b) Jones isn't invited back because Montgomery or Janis develop enough this year. Adams could split time with those guys in that case. GB has a ton of WR talent.

4) We're probably going to have to wait a while for him to emerge as a fantasy star if he ever does. He'll have his weeks this year I'm sure, but next year his upside seems capped so patience will be key and it could be a long wait.

The positives are:

1) Upside is HUGE. Rapport with Aaron Rodgers = Fantasy Stud even if average talent.

2) He looks pretty talented after the catch to me.

3) He's only 22
Big mistake trading Davante Adams now, while his perceived value is lower than it will ever be.

In the first game, when both were healthy, Adams had 8 targets and Jones had 4.

In the second game, when Adams rolled his ankle and missed about half of the game, he still had more targets than Jones.(5 to 3)

James Jones is "old"(31), slow, and was released by 2 teams this offseason. At this point in his career, Jones is a mediocre talent, at best. Obviously, having the best QB in the game look for you in the red zone helps you stay fantasy relevant, but even Aaron Rodgers cannot save Jones from Father Time forever.

Jordy Nelson is certainly one of the best receivers in the NFL, but he will be 31 years-old and coming off of an ACL tear when next season begins. He may return to stud WR form, he may not. Even if he does, at his age, it won't last long.

Imo, Montgomery and Janis aren't in the same universe, talent wise, as Adams so I'm not going to justify that concern.

Next season, Davante Adams will, at worst, be the #3 WR in an offense that normally runs 3 receivers sets and features the best QB in the NFL.

As far as the future goes, he will be Aaron Rodgers #2 target for many years.

Buy him now, while you still can.

I'm still holding. No reason not to ATM unless you are having issues with bye weeks and injuries. When he was out there, he was seeing a healthy amount of targets. James Jones was getting all the attention for the TDs, but Adams was getting more targets. I think he could be a useful WR3 down the stretch and have an occasional big game. The WR2 hype before the season has certainly died off and I don't think he gets there, but I don't think it's crazy to think he can be a top 25-30 WR the rest of the way.

- Cobb is a future star

I could create a list like this too. Without links, I'm calling bull####
Here's one:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/709053-james-white/

I'll get to the rest intermittently. Just for you.

- Cobb is a future star

Here's one:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/709053-james-white/

Keep going. Be sure to include your failures too. Because you're no different than anyone else. It's a flip of the coin.

- Cobb is a future star

Here's one:https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/709053-james-white/

Keep going. Be sure to include your failures too. Because you're no different than anyone else. It's a flip of the coin.
Hunter: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/666279-u-of-tennessee-wr-justin-hunter/page-15?

I am only adamant when I really believe something.

- Cobb is a future star

Here's one:https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/709053-james-white/

Hunter: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/666279-u-of-tennessee-wr-justin-hunter/page-15?

I am only adamant when I really believe something.
If you think I, or anyone else, is opening your bragging links, you're delusional. No one cares that you occasionally get it right. We all do. Like I said, every one of us is 100% right sometimes. And 100% wrong just as often.

- Cobb is a future star

Hunter: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/666279-u-of-tennessee-wr-justin-hunter/page-15?I am only adamant when I really believe something.
If you think I, or anyone else, is opening your bragging links, you're delusional. No one cares that you occasionally get it right. We all do. Like I said, every one of us is 100% right sometimes. And 100% wrong just as often.
lmao you asked for them. It hurts when someone is better at this than you. I get it. Anyways, enough of that. Back to Adams.

It looks like we will be waiting until 2016. And he will be back to 3rd option if Jordy is 100%.

- Cobb is a future star

Hunter: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/666279-u-of-tennessee-wr-justin-hunter/page-15?I am only adamant when I really believe something.
lmao you asked for them. It hurts when someone is better at this than you. I get it. Anyways, enough of that. Back to Adams.

It looks like we will be waiting until 2016. And he will be back to 3rd option if Jordy is 100%.
Never argued any of that. Rodgers, McCarthy, and Thompson all have said he's a special talent. ROYALWITCHEESE said he's not. I lean towards the ones who know a thing or two over some fat dude who wins $100 some years playing fantasy football with his cousins.

You guys mind taking this pissing match to a stall?
Sorry. Nothing makes me laugh harder than some small town fantasy geek thinking he's better at this than the next guy. It's all a guess. I wonder where CHEESE had CJ Anderson ranked pre-season. Ask him and he'll tell you that he knew he'd be a bust. In reality, he thought he was top ten like 99.9999% of us did. And then to actually list all the things he was right about. ROFL I'm going to have to start doing that. Make 50 claims and then a few years later, list the 5 I was right about and act like I play the game at a different level.

I got Offered Devante Freeman for him in Dynasty. I might take it. Not to get all asst coachie but I think both have question marks and competition for touches.

Other guys around his value have shown a lot more so far in their careers. He also comes from that ridiculous WR class...

I got Offered Devante Freeman for him in Dynasty. I might take it. Not to get all asst coachie but I think both have question marks and competition for touches.

Other guys around his value have shown a lot more so far in their careers. He also comes from that ridiculous WR class...
With as deep as WR is, I don't see how you can't take that offer. I'm not even 100% sold on Freeman, yet - but you could always flip him for more than Adams.

You might?

Yeah I'm not sold on either player. I took it as I think it's a pretty fair deal right now and I was debating Adams vs M Bryant anyway (as deep as WR is).

If Freeman relegated Coleman to the bench it's a steal... if Adams is the number 2 next year I lose

Really looking forward to Adams getting back on the field. From the way Rodgers spoke about him, it sounds like a big part of their offense is missing without Davante in the lineup. I like the sound of that. Limited practice today has the arrow pointed in the right direction. :thumbup:

With a high ankle sprain and a bye coming in week 7, the smart thing to do is let him rest and hopefully he's close to full strength come week 8

Really looking forward to Adams getting back on the field. From the way Rodgers spoke about him, it sounds like a big part of their offense is missing without Davante in the lineup. I like the sound of that. Limited practice today has the arrow pointed in the right direction. :thumbup:
Okay then, patience until after the bye week. Holding and hoping for a bright second half of the season for Adams, We shall see...

With a high ankle sprain and a bye coming in week 7, the smart thing to do is let him rest and hopefully he's close to full strength come week 8
This seems to make the most sense. With their bye next week, give him this week off and the bye week to get right. That would give him 4 weeks of down time before getting him back out there for the stretch run.

It's been real quiet, thinking he may be a lotto ticket type receiver coming out of the bye if he's healthy. Cobb struggling, why can't Adams take Nelson's role and become the #1 option in Green Bays passing game? Worth holding for a few weeks to find out

It's been real quiet, thinking he may be a lotto ticket type receiver coming out of the bye if he's healthy. Cobb struggling, why can't Adams take Nelson's role and become the #1 option in Green Bays passing game? Worth holding for a few weeks to find out
Just needs to stay healthy. But I agree.

Davante might be useful in the second half, but he's not Jordy and he's not going to be the #1 option.

That said, I've held onto him and am hoping for the best. But I have realistic expectations.

I will say this, the offense sure looked better with Adams, no?

Users who are viewing this thread