Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

WR Davante Adams, Packers

Faust

Just isn't worth selling him for less, imo. Jordy isn't getting any younger, Adams is the clear WR3 (imo), and Rodgers has shown he can support three fantasy relevant receivers. Even an early 2nd round pick is more of a dart throw than Adams in the short term, and long term it is really tough to beat his situation and talent.

Don't what happened to the Jeff Janis is going to start over Adams but someone forgot to tell Aaron Rodgers.

ESPNWisconsin: Speaking of that perfectionist nature, you have made it very clear in recent years that if a player is going to make mental mistakes and isn’t going to be where he’s supposed to be, you don’t want him on the field with you. Last year, you were tough on Davante Adams initially, but as the year wore on, he proved himself to you, and last week you wouldn’t stop talking about his approach and work ethic and potential. How do you balance demanding excellence from your teammates with not wanting them to hate you because you’re so tough on them?

Rodgers: I never called out Davante by name last year. I was hoping that he would pick it up with his practice habits. But Davante is a very polished player, and he has an excellent demeanor for a guy who’s going to be a star. I mean, he carries himself like a star – which is a very high compliment. There’s only been a few guys around here who’ve had that charisma: Charles (Woodson), Julius (Peppers), Greg (Jennings) always had it as a young player. But there’s very few guys that really ‘get it.” And he has supreme confidence, and it’s contagious. And I’m really proud of his approach and his attitude. It makes you want to get him the ball more. It makes you watch the film and have regrets about not giving him more opportunities. And that’s again, another compliment for him. He really came on and made plays last season. But the entire time, between his big game against New England and Dallas, where he didn’t get a lot of touches and his targets were low, he was always bringing it and running his routes to win, which is a huge accomplishment for a young guy. So that’s what we’re looking for from the other young guys, and they’ve got to come along.
ESPNWisconsin: You have a history of seeing talent in your young guys maybe before the rest of us do. I feel like the first one was James Starks in 2010, if I remember correctly. Not to put undue pressure on any of them, but are there a few young guys who’ve caught your eye during the offseason that have you intrigued/excited?
Rodgers: I’d say the two guys who’ve jumped out to me just in the workouts, and one of them is not a young guy – I mean, he’s still younger than I am – but Andrew Quarless has had a great offseason. I think he’s really, something clicked in for him at the end of last year and he’s been taking the jump. And Davante’s the other one. I think he’s had a great offseason and he has star potential – for sure. The young guys, you try to temper your expectations, but there is an excitement about the young receivers. We have a very good group with those guys. They’re getting some really good coaching from both Luke (Getsy) and Alex (Van Pelt), and also Jordy as he’s been missing a lot of time [recovering from hip surgery]. But the best thing those guys have going for them is they have two very selfless guys leading the group in Jordy and Randall. Guys who are established and who want to get those guys to the next level. I think both Jeff (Janis) and Jared (Abbrederis) have had nice offseasons and will make a jump in their second seasons, but it’ll be interesting to see what happens when you get “Pink” (Larry Pinkard) and Adrian (Coxson) and Jimmie (Hunt) and Ricky (Collins) and Ty (Montgomery) out there. It’ll be a real good group of young receivers.
Edited by cr8f

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers said WR Davante Adams "has star potential -- for sure."

Rodgers, who previously went on the record saying Adams is "starting to reach" his "humongous upside," is talking up Adams every chance he gets. "Davante is a very polished player, and he has an excellent demeanor for a guy who’s going to be a star," Rodgers said. "I mean, he carries himself like a star – which is a very high compliment. There’s only been a few guys around here who’ve had that charisma: Charles (Woodson), Julius (Peppers), Greg (Jennings) always had it as a young player. But there’s very few guys that really ‘get it." Adams is going to erupt if anything happens to Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb.
Jun 16 - 12:15 PM

McCarthy: Packers WR Davante Adams would be OTA 'MVP'

On Adams' jump... I would say Davante Adams, if you wanted a clear illustration of a player taking a jump in his second year, you just saw it. He's been tremendous in OTA's and he has more in front of him. He's done a great job in strength and conditioning. If you picked a MVP or an All-Star, he'd be at the top of the list.

Too bad Cobb resigned :wall:

Sure but the 3rd receiver here is a good one too. Finley was the 3rd option and had 88 and 93 targets in 2011 and 2012. He was 3rd except when Jordy missed 4 games in 2012 I believe.

If he is as good as advertised then he will be just fine even if he is an apparent 3rd on depth chart. That offense will have him as 1c to Jordy 1a and Cobb 1b. It could be like three #1's in Rodger's opinion if they are that good.

this is precisely why I thought they wouldn't give Cobb the big contract because the kid is very good and only going to get better. I'm still surprised they ponied up the money they did for him (Cobb).

They can cut Cobb after 2 years if they choose to. Reality is they can afford him, and it would be stupid NOT to surround ARod with a weapon like Cobb.

this is precisely why I thought they wouldn't give Cobb the big contract because the kid is very good and only going to get better. I'm still surprised they ponied up the money they did for him (Cobb).

They can cut Cobb after 2 years if they choose to. Reality is they can afford him, and it would be stupid NOT to surround ARod with a weapon like Cobb.

Agreed. The whole (passing game and offense) is greater than the sum of the individual contributors at wr. Having Cobb will make Adams better and vice versa.

And Cobb adds versatility that they dont have elsewhere.

Matt Harmon‏@MattHarmon_BYB 22h22 hours ago

Not only are there no more targets available for him, Davante Adams' #ReceptionPerception was gross. DO NOT DRAFT

Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL 1m1 minute ago

Consider - If we remove the top 2 WRs from each team (in terms of yds) year, Eddie Royal (41st) is best left. J Brown is next (52nd). #Adams

I'm not buying into this analysis.

1. Jordy Nelson averaged over 11 targets per game for the first six games last year. Over the next 10 games, it was about 8 targets per game. Rodgers wasn't comfortable throwing to Adams/Boykin/Rodgers early in the year, and Nelson got peppered with targets. Then teams starting rolling more coverage Nelson's way, and Rodgers grew more confident in his other options.

2. How many teams have a QB that caliber of Aaron Rodgers? Of the one's that come close, how many of those have 3 WRs that are capable of putting up big numbers?

If I were to project targets for 2015 it would look something like this:

Nelson 125

Cobb 110

Adams 100

Teams are going to watch film this offseason of the Packers offense. They will scheme to take away Nelson and Cobb. Adams is going to see a ton of single coverage, and if he's as good as the two most powerful people on the offensive side of the ball (McCarthy and Rodgers) say he is, Adams will have some very big days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm thinking that it's time to buy. He lost a ton of market value when Cobb re-signed but there's plenty or passes to go around. Not to mention he's a different player than Cobb so usage can be different as well. Also, both Cobb and Jordy have had injuries and all it takes is one guy going down.

• 1 month later...

Insider: Thumbs up to Mulumba, down to Adams:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/08/04/insider-thumbs-mulumba-adams/31139049/

Excerpt:

Thumbs down

Davante Adams was one of the stars of the offseason practices and coming into training camp appeared ready for a much bigger role in the offense as the No. 3 receiver in his second NFL season. There’s still no reason not to think so.

But considering the accolades from McCarthy and Rodgers when the team took its final offseason break in June, Adams has had a relatively quiet start to training camp.

Part of the perception probably is skewed by expectations, but it’s hard not to conclude that third-round draft pick Ty Montgomery has been the better playmaker early in camp. And one play involving Adams on Tuesday was a little jarring: cornerback Sam Shields’ leaping interception of a Rodgers throw on a go route.

Shields made an exceptional play, but one of Adams’ assets is his physical strength going after those kind of throws. On that play, he didn’t attack the ball like you’d expect and thus never had a shot at the catch or at least pass breakup.

The smart money says Adams will be the player the Packers were so excited about in June — he’s a highly confident receiver whom Rodgers lauds for already carrying himself like a star. But he’s due for a banner day on the practice field.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said WR Davante Adams has "had a heck of a camp."

"Looking for big things from him," McCarthy added. Adams has been the recipient of constant praise in camp and was peppered with seven targets in the preseason opener. Adams will struggle to find consistent production as long as Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb are healthy, but he could explode if either goes down.
Aug 20 - 12:21 PM

"It's just giving him opportunities," Rodgers said via ESPN. "You watch the film last year and he was open a lot on the backside of stuff and it just depended on matchups whether the ball went his way a couple times in a game or 10 times. And when he had the 10 times, the targets, you saw the production he had. It's about matchups in this offense. We had two guys [Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb] who caught more than 90 balls and as teams start to tilt even more to them, Davante's going to get more opportunities."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25264409/watch-davante-adams-somehow-snags-one-handed-grab-over-cornerback

Wow, really sucks for Nelson. But Adams is a bonafide WR2 now in this offense. I don't think it changes the equation much for Cobb.

Taking a look at Fanduel Week 1, against the lowly Bears defense, in the newer-faster GB offense... Adams is just $5,500. In a similar category as Eddie Royal ($5,000) and Stevie Johnson ($4,700), but in a much better offense.

First round pick

That seems like a delusional value to place on a guy who might not be starter worthy for another 2-3 years

I have Adams as well and I'm not selling for anything less than a 1st round pick. The talent is there. The opportunity will be there. You're taking the same risk by drafting players in the 1st round, except they don't get to catch passes from one of the greatest QBs of this generation.

The words of a prophet. The trade offers for him have already started trickling in for him. Percy Harvin......no thank you - rejected.

Was just offered Michael Floyd for Adams.

From a FF 'expert' no less.

Adams way more valuable than Floyd now, wouldn't even think of doing that.

Me neither.

This guy habitually makes lowball offers, tagging them with: 'it's fair by FF industry standards.'

Edited by identikit

I just posted this in the dynasty trades thread.

12 team PPR

Once announcement for Jordy came in 4 teams contacted me about Davante. Did the below.

Team A trades Devante Adams/3rd Rd Pick

Team B trades Donte Moncrief/1st Rd Pick

I have Luck w/ DT/T.Y./Alshon/Cooks/Martavis/Dorsett so was totally content with a 1st from a bad team + Moncrief to go with rest of my Colts stash.

On flip side was offered Lamar Miller for Davante.

Also was offered Steve Smith/Marquess Wilson/1st Rd Pick for Davante & David Johnson.

What percentage of FABB do you blow on this guy?

Why was he not drafted? 10 team league he should be drafted.

Does that matter? No...

Question still stands.

Then 100%.

I have him and cobb. What's the chances I start two wr from the same team. Never did that before. It's either Adams or Allen Robinson as my wr 3

I started Cobb and Nelson all the way to the finals in 2014. I would start them both without hesitation. Every game.

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Much more likely IMO that Nelson's work gets spread out, with some of it spilling down the storm drain. Bump Adams 300-400 plus 5 of the TD's, and Montgomery/Janis/Rodgers/Lacy each pick up 100-300 more each. A few random yards to the occasional RB or TE.

so Adams doesn't become a WR1 automatically with Cobb getting all the Defense attention and GB TE's invisible on most weekends?

Automatically? No.

Both his ceiling and his floor have increased though... It was previously WR2 ceiling with WR3 floor, now he's WR1 ceiling with WR2 floor IMO.

• Like 1

• Faust changed the title to WR Davante Adams, Packers