What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL The Leftovers, New HBO show Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Usual21

Footballguy
This show looks very interesting. What if the Rapture took place, but you were left behind?

The Leftovers Trailer

Based on the book, The Leftovers by Tom Perotta. This might be HBO's next big dramatic series. Can't wait to check it out.

Can we get separate threads for the television show for those who have read the books and those who haven't? I don't want ANY book knowledge to cloud my viewing....I LIKE TO GO IN FRESH!!!!..... :Istoppedshort:

Starts tonight. Because this is HBO, the religious components probably won't be too annoying to an atheist, right?

Goodbye HBO if this sucks. I know that this will keep DirecTv up at night knowing my $10 is on the line.

I will be live tweeting My Decision tonight. All proceeds will go to Eminence.

As an atheist, I was wary of the rapture angle but gave it a go because Sepinwall graded it an A. I don't think it will be an issue. Seems they aren't interested in explaining what happened, just to present how people would react to it, and all that was very intriguing. Actress who plays sexy daughter's mother is Andie MacDowell.

I thought it was decent enough...a couple things came across kind of cheesy like the over the top smoking. they made a point of showing the book, the stranger by Albert Camus. (Tim Robbins is show reading it at the beginning of Jacob's ladder) also thought I noticed part of a house looking very church like in the background of a scene, need to rewatch that part. did it say something on that dog tag or was it just his name?

meh. it felt like they were trying to get the viewers emotionally invested in some of the characters right away, but how can I be invested when I have no idea what the hell is going on?

I thought it was pretty good. It is certainly different which is appreciated. There won't ever be any answers about the disappearance so if you are looking for that I would run away now. My one criticism would be that our main family of characters didn't lose anybody. Why are they so f'ed up?

I'm in for the first season at least.

Didnt find it that compelling, and I'll echo the Lost similarities (i.e., a show that looks like it will go nowhere).

My one criticism would be that our main family of characters didn't lose anybody. Why are they so f'ed up?
Didn't he lose his wife?

I'm only halfway through the first episode. I couldn't watch the whole thing in one sitting. Undecided if I'll finish it yet. I only made it through half of the first season of Lost so the comparisons aren't a good thing. Even worse, I think it reminds me of Under the Dome even more.

My one criticism would be that our main family of characters didn't lose anybody. Why are they so f'ed up?
Didn't he lose his wife?

I'm only halfway through the first episode. I couldn't watch the whole thing in one sitting. Undecided if I'll finish it yet. I only made it through half of the first season of Lost so the comparisons aren't a good thing. Even worse, I think it reminds me of Under the Dome even more.
:scared:

I liked it. Completely unsurprised that the thread filled up with "like LOST, won't watch".

I thought it was pretty straightforward. The only thing I wondered was if the smoking cult ("The Remnants", or something like that IIRC) who appears to try to be living reminders to families who have lost someone, are the same cult that's led by the guy that Justin Theroux's son is working for. Bout the only thing worth watching now that Game of Thrones and True Detective are on hiatus.

I was heavily critical of LOST, but this doesn't seem anything like that. LOST ambled around and didn't really have any idea where it was going, and tried to be several different things at once. The Leftovers seems to be pretty clear in its focus on the emotional fallout from an unexplained event that may never be explained, either within the show or to the viewers. I'm OK with that. Perhaps having source material to follow is the big difference here.

Only halfway through ep 1, but I'm def. on board.

I was bored when I first watched it and turned it off. I gave it another shot and it has potential. I am not sure I can sit through True Blood and this in one night. It's hard enough to get through TB at this point.

I was bored when I first watched it and turned it off. I gave it another shot and it has potential. I am not sure I can sit through True Blood and this in one night. It's hard enough to get through TB at this point.
Then there's no sense in torturing yourself.

I'm sure there's a new episode of Rizzoli & Isles on for you

I thought it was pretty good. It is certainly different which is appreciated. There won't ever be any answers about the disappearance so if you are looking for that I would run away now. My one criticism would be that our main family of characters didn't lose anybody. Why are they so f'ed up?

Did they show a picture of the family with the dad, mother, daughter, and then a young boy in it? Maybe I didn't see it right as the show didn't have all my attention but thought I remembered that.

Did they show a picture of the family with the dad, mother, daughter, and then a young boy in it? Maybe I didn't see it right as the show didn't have all my attention but thought I remembered that.
That's the whole family. Mom, dad, son, daughter.

Did we see the son alive? I assumed he was the one they lost. Wouldn't be surprised if I missed it though.

My guess is the mom deciding to go off and be part of the smoking Remnants cult broke everyone in the family. I just couldn't figure out if the cult that the son was in, and the congressman he carried in are that same smoking cult, or a different one. Seemed to be a different one. A more violent, "We're gonna take over" one. They could have fleshed that out a little better.

Did we see the son alive? I assumed he was the one they lost. Wouldn't be surprised if I missed it though.
See above. He's the kid that drove the congressman for what I assume is a different cult.

See above. He's the kid that drove the congressman for what I assume is a different cult.
Ah got ya. Thanks.

Ah got ya. Thanks.
Yeah, I got that the kid was the driver but the dad elbow smashed the picture on the wall. Who is the mom?

Ah got ya. Thanks.
Yeah, I got that the kid was the driver but the dad elbow smashed the picture on the wall. Who is the mom?
The woman in the white clothes smoking cult that he tried to talk to. The one who was following around Liv Tyler.

Users who are viewing this thread