What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (5 Viewers)

In TB today to watch the Leos.  Hilarious how bad Winston was. Detroit and Tampa kept exchanging turnovers.  The difference was there was actually WRs in the vicinity of the INTs when Stafford threw it.  Jameis was targeting Detroit DBs.
Only 3 total turnovers for him. It was a good day.

Wow.....first time I have really watched a whole game of his. Surprised Koettner kept him in the game. Also thought leadership was one of his better qualities....he was whining after each ridiculous turnover. So he doesn't take responsibility for his poor choices and makes too many WTF plays every game. 

Wow.....first time I have really watched a whole game of his. Surprised Koettner kept him in the game. Also thought leadership was one of his better qualities....he was whining after each ridiculous turnover. So he doesn't take responsibility for his poor choices and makes too many WTF plays every game. 
Hell no he doesn't. It's always someone else's fault. His complete incompetence is going to get Koetter fired but that won't fix the Bucs problem. It will just extend it more years.

Hell no he doesn't. It's always someone else's fault. His complete incompetence is going to get Koetter fired but that won't fix the Bucs problem. It will just extend it more years.
New staff may be best off trading him and starting fresh. They have a boatload of weapons on the offensive side. I came away very impressed with Godwin and along with Evans/Howard/Brate/Jackson they have the fire power to be a force. Draft your guys at QB and build the oline. Jameis is a strange dude and I doubt we have seen his worst from a personality standpoint. On top of the fact that he should be much further along on the football field than he has shown. 

Cabella is going to his grave defending this guy.  It's fantastic.
Before this week he was the 16th-ranked QB in the league according to PFF, and that's with him playing 4 games with a hurt shoulder, and this is by far his worst year. He's nowhere near as bad as most of the mouthbreathers here think. :shrug:  

If he is this average next year, then there is a problem. I doubt that will be the case. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Before this week he was the 16th-ranked QB in the league according to PFF, and that's with him playing 4 games with a hurt shoulder, and this is by far his worst year. He's nowhere near as bad as most of the mouthbreathers here think. :shrug:  

If he is this average next year, then there is a problem. I doubt that will be the case. 
I like you, you're a great poster.  But on this one, you need to stop while you're behind.  HTH.

Not a great advertisement for PFF grades I guess.....

The thing is, it wouldn't matter if he was just an average or below average QB starter, except that he was drafted #1 overall and the media has pushed him as the future of the QB position poised for a breakout (although this year there have been shinier objects like Wentz to focus on, so he hasn't had that much attention).

I agree that sometimes we are too hard on young players too early (see Goff), but in this case it doesn't feel like there has been enough scrutiny - there is the odd "is Winston actually good?" sentiment in the media, but it hasn't really caught on. He's still given a pass to some extent. It's scary that he hasn't really shown signs of improvement, I don't care what his stats are. 

I like you, you're a great poster.  But on this one, you need to stop while you're behind.  HTH.
Thanks for the nice words but I don't really need the help.

The guy has had two really good seasons and one admittedly mediocre one, albeit one where he was really hurt for at least a quarter of the season. I mean, maybe shoulder injuries where the ball is noticeably weaker coming out isn't a big deal but it would seem to be to me. 

Not a great advertisement for PFF grades I guess.....

The thing is, it wouldn't matter if he was just an average or below average QB starter, except that he was drafted #1 overall and the media has pushed him as the future of the QB position poised for a breakout (although this year there have been shinier objects like Wentz to focus on, so he hasn't had that much attention).

I agree that sometimes we are too hard on young players too early (see Goff), but in this case it doesn't feel like there has been enough scrutiny - there is the odd "is Winston actually good?" sentiment in the media, but it hasn't really caught on. He's still given a pass to some extent. It's scary that he hasn't really shown signs of improvement, I don't care what his stats are. 
I dunno maybe most in the media realize he's had an injury for a large portion of the year to his throwing shoulder whereas people on the message board who don't know as much but have an agenda just choose to ignore that? I dunno, just spitballin here. 

Also, PFF is pretty great. They don't have an agenda, just watch every play and seem to be pretty balanced. They aren't perfect but they beat the halfwits who just pick and choose. 

None of this is to excuse his bad decisions, of which there are quite a few. But the good far outweighs the bad. 

Winston hasn’t even completed his third year in the NFL.  He is still a ways from being a finished product and this debate is far from being settled.  

Some of those dancing on his grave right now ought to remember that, aside from how they look to others here in revelling in his struggles and actively rooting for him to fail.

I just don't get it either, he's such a likable guy.

Disliking a guy is one thing.  Repeatedly gloating over some poor performance and actively hoping that his career goes down in flames so that one can publicly grandstand and feed one’s ego is something else entirely.

One is just personal preference, the other is a pretty significant character flaw.

Disliking a guy is one thing.  Repeatedly gloating over some poor performance and actively hoping that his career goes down in flames so that one can publicly grandstand and feed one’s ego is something else entirely.

One is just personal preference, the other is a pretty significant character flaw.
Lod went on a completely different message board gloating how he won the Jameis argument. I am pretty sure it's all he has going for him. 

I am playing the Wentz owner in the semis this week.  His backup is winston.  I really hope he just leaves Winston in

I won, you lost and that's life.
Judging by how extremely and oddly important this is to you, and the fact you are going to other message boards to post about it ( :lmao: :lmao:  ) I'm fairly certain I've won a lot more in life than you have. 

Capella said:
Judging by how extremely and oddly important this is to you, and the fact you are going to other message boards to post about it ( :lmao: :lmao:  ) I'm fairly certain I've won a lot more in life than you have. 

When oh when will you please stop feeding the troll.  Discipline, my man.  Discipline.

I know. I'm sorry. 

Let actions speak for itself.  Winston is struggling, no question. He made an awfully weird speech.  But he also came out and played hurt for a good portion of the season, and he’s shown some real positives to go with the negatives.  That takes some moxy.  He’s still awfully young.  Let it play out and see if you get the last laugh.  Lot of talent sitting there for his next HC.

The argument I continue to make is he's right on pace with many other good to great QB's on a numbers comparison basis early on in their careers, but because it's Jameis people (especially in Tampa) are lighting torches.

I personally feel like he's played quite well the last two weeks.  He's had two bad sack/fumbles.  The interception in front of Jackson shouldn't have been thrown in the vicinity of the receiver, but DeSean also ran a horribly lazy route and didn't make an attempt to come back to the ball.  The interception on the throw to OJ should have been a flag, which is why Jameis was so upset.  He threw another dime to OJ that put Tampa inside the ten but he fumbled.  He had the Bucs in field goal range and Doug fumbled.  68% complete for 285 yards and brought them back from a two score deficit to tie it late.

I think it's just really difficult for some people to be objective about this young man.

I'm thinking of rolling him out again next week. Atlanta has a fairly weak defense, it's a home game and it's on Monday night.

He didn't perform terribly last week and it's tempting to see what he can do as he comes back from the injury.

Let actions speak for itself.  Winston is struggling, no question. He made an awfully weird speech.  But he also came out and played hurt for a good portion of the season, and he’s shown some real positives to go with the negatives.  That takes some moxy.  He’s still awfully young.  Let it play out and see if you get the last laugh.  Lot of talent sitting there for his next HC.
The speech is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life but he makes so many difficult throws and his teammates love him. I don't know if he will clean up the dumb turnovers, but I hope a new coach can reach him on that. That part is frustrating. I don't know why he can't just accept a broken play. 

The argument I continue to make is he's right on pace with many other good to great QB's on a numbers comparison basis early on in their careers, but because it's Jameis people (especially in Tampa) are lighting torches.

I personally feel like he's played quite well the last two weeks.  He's had two bad sack/fumbles.  The interception in front of Jackson shouldn't have been thrown in the vicinity of the receiver, but DeSean also ran a horribly lazy route and didn't make an attempt to come back to the ball.  The interception on the throw to OJ should have been a flag, which is why Jameis was so upset.  He threw another dime to OJ that put Tampa inside the ten but he fumbled.  He had the Bucs in field goal range and Doug fumbled.  68% complete for 285 yards and brought them back from a two score deficit to tie it late.

I think it's just really difficult for some people to be objective about this young man.
Jackson's effort on that pick was unbelievable. Later in the game when the D was on the field he was on the sideline 40 yards away from his offensive teammates. I imagine he won't be back. 

Bronco Billy and Capella are on top of this.  Winston is a stud, no matter what anybody might think.  We have excuses, like all good lawyers do.  Jameis is a monster and just needs more time and players and coaches.

This is starting to get close to the Tiger Woods thread over in the FFA. The one where the guy / lawyer won't let it go, no matter what.  Even though it's schtick. It's all inconceivable, but fantastic nonetheless.

This is starting to get close to the Tiger Woods thread over in the FFA. The one where the guy / lawyer won't let it go, no matter what.  Even though it's schtick. It's all inconceivable, but fantastic nonetheless.
Let what go? What are you suggesting?

I'm suggesting that this Jameis Winston mission is not one to take on.  And you, what are you suggesting?
The mission has been 4 years in the making. I don’t know the outcome. Others seem to be quite sure of themselves. 

I hope the Bucs turn it around and would expect if they do it will be with Jameis as the QB. 

The mission has been 4 years in the making. I don’t know the outcome. Others seem to be quite sure of themselves. 

I hope the Bucs turn it around and would expect if they do it will be with Jameis as the QB. 
I'm not "sure of myself", if that's what you're trying to imply. I do feel like he's a crappy QB and nowhere near a leader.  Time will bare that out.  What's your stance?

Bronco Billy and Capella are on top of this.  Winston is a stud, no matter what anybody might think.  We have excuses, like all good lawyers do.  Jameis is a monster and just needs more time and players and coaches.
I actually said he was league average this year. If you read that as "stud", that's a comprehension problem with you, not me. 

Users who are viewing this thread