What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (5 Viewers)

More analyst that say Winston should be #1.

Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb, Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, Bucky Brooks, Joey Galloway.

As far as the post of "hung him on ownership's payroll", the NFL has taken that out of the equation. If the Redskins thought RGIII was completely done he is only counting $3.5 million against their payroll. This is no longer the league of Jamarcus Russell taking the few years he is active and the next decade out of the teams sails.

With that being said, it won't be an easy decision for TB. The eye ball test tells me Winston is better and that seems to be a pretty universal thought around here. Comparing Winston/Mariota to Manning/Leaf is unfair to both players. Mariota has a Tim Tebow intangible reputation with a greater repertoire and more speed, while Jamies is a natural pocket passer with great tools. I think Mariota has the better floor and Winston the higher ceiling.

Lovie has always gotten his players to be professionals. I don't want to give undue credit but Chicago is where Brandon Marshall finally got his head screwed on straight. People like to point out the Mariota/Koetter connection but if he preferred the way Matt Ryan ran his offense I see much of the same skill set in Winston.

I anticipate this being a pretty heated debate leading up to the draft. I think it would be nice if both players succeed in their respective styles because they've both been a lot of fun to watch in college.
I think the only way the higher ceiling comes into play is if he dedicated to film study and hard work with his teammates. Based on what I have read in this thread, he does not have a very good history of this.

Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb, Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, Bucky Brooks, Joey Galloway.
Why does everyone keep ignoring that Winston lacks possibly the most important part of playing the position?

Rotoworld:

Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston jumped to No. 2 overall on Todd McShay's Big Board.
Winston was previously No. 6. Interestingly, McShay dropped Marcus Mariota, the previous No. 2, to the No. 6 slot. "If you base things purely off of Winston's game tape, he is the clear-cut No. 1 prospect in this class," McShay wrote. "He has very good arm strength and excels from the pocket, showing the ability to anticipate throws and make NFL-style reads. He also appears to be a very good on-field leader. The risk with Winston has to do with his well-documented off-field behavioral issues, and teams that consider drafting him will have to be comfortable with him from a character and psychological standpoint before taking him to be the face of the franchise."

Source: ESPN Insider
Jan 18 - 7:33 PM

At the link is a preview for the documentary that is being shown at the Sundance Film Festival called 'The Hunting Grounds' dealing with the issue of sexual assault on campus and it looks pretty powerful.

Jamies Winton's accuser goes public in this documentary.

Winston was never charged with a crime nor punished under FSU's student code of conduct.

The University's investigation into the case was less than acceptable. First they didn't do anything on the case for ten months until media pressure forced them to investigate. Then they used a booster for the FSU football program to look into the charge. The booster who was in charge of the case didn't take any DNA samples, he didn't interview Jamies Winston, he didn't interview Wintson's room mate who allegedly witnessed the incident and tried to intervene, and he didn't even bother to look at video tapes of the bar where the accuser claims that Wintson drugged her.

Heck they bothered to look the tapes of him walking off with crab legs so why not bother to look at the tapes for a much more serious crime? I'm sure an FSU football booster would want to get to the bottom of any rape allegation against the Heisman Trophy winner and the guy that lead his favorite team to the National Championship right?

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/jameis-winstons-accuser-goes-public-in-documentary-20150126/

Jameis Winston’s accuser goes public in documentary

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff
Published: January 26, 2015 | Updated: January 26, 2015 at 04:23 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page
Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page
The woman who accused former Florida State University quarterback Jameis Winston of rape has gone public with her side of the story in a documentary that debuted on Friday at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.
Erica Kinsman, who attended Zephyrhills High School, detailed her December 2012 encounter with Winston in “The Hunting Ground,’’ a film that investigates nationwide complaints of sexual assaults on college campuses. It is scheduled to be shown on CNN later this year, along with a planned release in movie theatres.
The documentary is not exclusively about the case involving Winston. It features several first-person testimonies of alleged victims who say they were sexually assaulted on campus. But notably, it is the first time for Kinsman to speak publicly about the case.
The Tampa Tribune has not previously identified Kinsman because it does not typically identify alleged victims of sexual assaults.
Last month, Kinsman filed a federal civil lawsuit in Orlando against FSU, claiming that the university violated her Title IX rights by failing to properly investigate the incident. In the suit, Kinsman was identified as “Jane Doe.’’
Winston, who was neither charged with a crime by the state attorney’s office nor found guilty of FSU’s student code of conduct, announced this month he was leaving school to enter the NFL draft. He is a potential target of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who own the No. 1 overall pick.
Winston and his attorneys have denied the rape accusation, claiming the encounter was consensual.
In the documentary, according to a report by The Daily Beast, Kinsman voiced her frustration over the way the Tallahassee Police Department handled the case. She said she was horrified by the fan reaction to Winston, the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner who led the Seminoles to the national championship on Jan. 6, 2014, approximately one month after it was determined no charges would be filed in the case.
“All these people were praising (Winston) … and calling me a slut, a whore,’’ Kinsman said in the film. “I kind of just want to know … why me? It doesn’t really make sense.’’
In the film, Kinsman said she went to Potbelly’s, a popular Tallahassee bar, on Dec. 6, 2012. She said a man bought her a shot and after drinking it, she began to feel woozy. She faintly remembers being taken in a cab to an apartment. She said the man climbed on top of her and began having intercourse with her, even as she begged for him to stop.
Kinsman said the man also ignored the pleas of his roommate, then took her into the bathroom, where he pinned her head against the tiled floor with his hand and continued having intercourse. When he was finished, Kinsman said the man told her, “You can leave now.’’
Kinsman said she was still light-headed with no idea of the location of the man’s apartment. She agreed to let the man drop her off on his scooter at a major intersection – she didn’t want to identify to him where she lived – where she reported the alleged rape.
She was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, where a rape kit was performed and semen was found on her body.
When school resumed in January 2013, Kinsman said she was startled to recognize the man as a student in one of her classes. She listened carefully as the professor said his name during roll call — Jameis Winston — although she didn’t know then that he was an FSU football player.
According to Kinsman’s attorneys, TPD officer Scott Angulo, an FSU graduate who did private security work for Seminole Boosters, a fundraising arm of the school’s athletic department, bungled the case. The attorneys said Angulo failed to obtain a DNA sample from Winston, failed to interview him, didn’t retrieve video footage from Potbelly’s and didn’t question Winston’s roommate, Chris Casher.
In the film, Kinsman said TPD did nothing on the case for 10 months, until it came back into focus in November 2013, after media inquiries.
State Attorney Willie Meggs, who announced on Dec. 5, 2013, that no charges would be brought against Winston and the case was over, also was interviewed in the film.
“I think things that happened that night were not good,’’ Meggs said.
According to Kirby ****, an Oscar-nominated filmmaker who directed the documentary, less than 4 percent of college students are athletes, but they commit 19 percent of the sexual assaults on campuses.
In 2012, **** and producing partner Amy Ziering presented “The Invisible War,’’ which dealt with rape and sexual violence in the military. That led to their interest in creating “The Hunting Ground.’’
“We were taking ‘The Invisible War’ around to schools, and we kept getting questions about sexual assault on campus,’’ **** told the Los Angeles Times.
“We were intending to make another film, but we kept getting letters in our in-boxes, ‘Please make this film,’ ‘’ Ziering said. “It really got to us. We were moved. This issue was already starting to get public traction. There was an emerging student movement we could follow and track in real time.’’

Rotoworld:

FSU QB Jameis Winston received an Eli Manning comparison from NFL Media's Lance Zierlein.

Winston has received a number of comparisons, form Ben Roethlisberger to Byron Leftwich. In fact, Zierlein writes "his wind-up delivery and marginal mobility outside the pocket are reminiscent of Byron Leftwich, but his arm talent and issues with decision making are more in line with Eli Manning's." Quarterback comparisons are kind of unrealistic, since most successful quarterbacks in the NFL right now are quite different.

Source: NFL.com
Jan 29 - 10:11 AM

As far as the post of "hung him on ownership's payroll", the NFL has taken that out of the equation. If the Redskins thought RGIII was completely done he is only counting $3.5 million against their payroll. This is no longer the league of Jamarcus Russell taking the few years he is active and the next decade out of the teams sails.

With that being said, it won't be an easy decision for TB. The eye ball test tells me Winston is better and that seems to be a pretty universal thought around here. Comparing Winston/Mariota to Manning/Leaf is unfair to both players. Mariota has a Tim Tebow intangible reputation with a greater repertoire and more speed, while Jamies is a natural pocket passer with great tools. I think Mariota has the better floor and Winston the higher ceiling.

Lovie has always gotten his players to be professionals. I don't want to give undue credit but Chicago is where Brandon Marshall finally got his head screwed on straight. People like to point out the Mariota/Koetter connection but if he preferred the way Matt Ryan ran his offense I see much of the same skill set in Winston.

I anticipate this being a pretty heated debate leading up to the draft. I think it would be nice if both players succeed in their respective styles because they've both been a lot of fun to watch in college.
Marshall didn't "get his head screwed on straight," he had an undiagnosed and untreated mental illness that he finally sought treatment for. Lovie seems like a good guy, but he didn't have anything to do with Marshall turning his life around.

And I don't think Winston's problem is mental illness. I think it's immaturity, selfishness, ego and entitlement.
Nice diagnosis here, doctor.

Funny that Marshall was suffering from a mental illness, but Winston is just immature and stupid. Did we forget what Marshall was up to back then?

April 8, 2005: Marshall was charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor, after police in Orlando accused him of trying to return a stolen set of bed sheets at a Burlington Coat Factory. The charge was dropped.

Stealing crab legs is completely different than stealing bed sheets. Medically speaking, of course.

At the link is a preview for the documentary that is being shown at the Sundance Film Festival called 'The Hunting Grounds' dealing with the issue of sexual assault on campus and it looks pretty powerful.

Jamies Winton's accuser goes public in this documentary.

Winston was never charged with a crime nor punished under FSU's student code of conduct.

The University's investigation into the case was less than acceptable. First they didn't do anything on the case for ten months until media pressure forced them to investigate. Then they used a booster for the FSU football program to look into the charge. The booster who was in charge of the case didn't take any DNA samples, he didn't interview Jamies Winston, he didn't interview Wintson's room mate who allegedly witnessed the incident and tried to intervene, and he didn't even bother to look at video tapes of the bar where the accuser claims that Wintson drugged her.

Heck they bothered to look the tapes of him walking off with crab legs so why not bother to look at the tapes for a much more serious crime? I'm sure an FSU football booster would want to get to the bottom of any rape allegation against the Heisman Trophy winner and the guy that lead his favorite team to the National Championship right?

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/jameis-winstons-accuser-goes-public-in-documentary-20150126/

Jameis Winston’s accuser goes public in documentary

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff

Published: January 26, 2015 | Updated: January 26, 2015 at 04:23 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page
Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page
The woman who accused former Florida State University quarterback Jameis Winston of rape has gone public with her side of the story in a documentary that debuted on Friday at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.
Erica Kinsman, who attended Zephyrhills High School, detailed her December 2012 encounter with Winston in “The Hunting Ground,’’ a film that investigates nationwide complaints of sexual assaults on college campuses. It is scheduled to be shown on CNN later this year, along with a planned release in movie theatres.
The documentary is not exclusively about the case involving Winston. It features several first-person testimonies of alleged victims who say they were sexually assaulted on campus. But notably, it is the first time for Kinsman to speak publicly about the case.
The Tampa Tribune has not previously identified Kinsman because it does not typically identify alleged victims of sexual assaults.
Last month, Kinsman filed a federal civil lawsuit in Orlando against FSU, claiming that the university violated her Title IX rights by failing to properly investigate the incident. In the suit, Kinsman was identified as “Jane Doe.’’
Winston, who was neither charged with a crime by the state attorney’s office nor found guilty of FSU’s student code of conduct, announced this month he was leaving school to enter the NFL draft. He is a potential target of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who own the No. 1 overall pick.
Winston and his attorneys have denied the rape accusation, claiming the encounter was consensual.
In the documentary, according to a report by The Daily Beast, Kinsman voiced her frustration over the way the Tallahassee Police Department handled the case. She said she was horrified by the fan reaction to Winston, the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner who led the Seminoles to the national championship on Jan. 6, 2014, approximately one month after it was determined no charges would be filed in the case.
“All these people were praising (Winston) … and calling me a slut, a whore,’’ Kinsman said in the film. “I kind of just want to know … why me? It doesn’t really make sense.’’
In the film, Kinsman said she went to Potbelly’s, a popular Tallahassee bar, on Dec. 6, 2012. She said a man bought her a shot and after drinking it, she began to feel woozy. She faintly remembers being taken in a cab to an apartment. She said the man climbed on top of her and began having intercourse with her, even as she begged for him to stop.
Kinsman said the man also ignored the pleas of his roommate, then took her into the bathroom, where he pinned her head against the tiled floor with his hand and continued having intercourse. When he was finished, Kinsman said the man told her, “You can leave now.’’
Kinsman said she was still light-headed with no idea of the location of the man’s apartment. She agreed to let the man drop her off on his scooter at a major intersection – she didn’t want to identify to him where she lived – where she reported the alleged rape.
She was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, where a rape kit was performed and semen was found on her body.
When school resumed in January 2013, Kinsman said she was startled to recognize the man as a student in one of her classes. She listened carefully as the professor said his name during roll call — Jameis Winston — although she didn’t know then that he was an FSU football player.
According to Kinsman’s attorneys, TPD officer Scott Angulo, an FSU graduate who did private security work for Seminole Boosters, a fundraising arm of the school’s athletic department, bungled the case. The attorneys said Angulo failed to obtain a DNA sample from Winston, failed to interview him, didn’t retrieve video footage from Potbelly’s and didn’t question Winston’s roommate, Chris Casher.
In the film, Kinsman said TPD did nothing on the case for 10 months, until it came back into focus in November 2013, after media inquiries.
State Attorney Willie Meggs, who announced on Dec. 5, 2013, that no charges would be brought against Winston and the case was over, also was interviewed in the film.
“I think things that happened that night were not good,’’ Meggs said.
According to Kirby ****, an Oscar-nominated filmmaker who directed the documentary, less than 4 percent of college students are athletes, but they commit 19 percent of the sexual assaults on campuses.
In 2012, **** and producing partner Amy Ziering presented “The Invisible War,’’ which dealt with rape and sexual violence in the military. That led to their interest in creating “The Hunting Ground.’’
“We were taking ‘The Invisible War’ around to schools, and we kept getting questions about sexual assault on campus,’’ **** told the Los Angeles Times.
“We were intending to make another film, but we kept getting letters in our in-boxes, ‘Please make this film,’ ‘’ Ziering said. “It really got to us. We were moved. This issue was already starting to get public traction. There was an emerging student movement we could follow and track in real time.’’
Okay, so she went to the hospital right after the event. They did a rape kit. They have semen samples. If she told the hospital about feeling light headed or drugged, they probably did a blood test which should have revealed she had been given a roofy. He has already admitted to having consensual sex with her. If there really is a roommate to back up her story and there is evidence she was given a roofy, doesn't the consensual sex go right out the window? Where are Benson and Stabler when you need them?!

Why does everyone keep ignoring that Winston lacks possibly the most important part of playing the position?
Everyone doesn't. :shrug:

There's a nice, healthy contingent out there that thinks he slides hard by draft day. I think any team drafting this guy in the first is just flushing millions down the drain. I figure some GM on a short leash who needs a miracle will be willing to gamble his team's future by the middle of the first, though.

SacramentoBob said:
Funny that Marshall was suffering from a mental illness, but Winston is just immature and stupid. Did we forget what Marshall was up to back then?

April 8, 2005: Marshall was charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor, after police in Orlando accused him of trying to return a stolen set of bed sheets at a Burlington Coat Factory. The charge was dropped.

Stealing crab legs is completely different than stealing bed sheets. Medically speaking, of course.
Do you want 2006-era Brandon Marshall as your QB?

SacramentoBob said:

No. But Marshall in 2006 was not close to the on field prospect that Winston is in 2015. There may be similar risks, but the reward potential for Winston is through the roof.

SacramentoBob said:

No. But Marshall in 2006 was not close to the on field prospect that Winston is in 2015. There may be similar risks, but the reward potential for Winston is through the roof.
Do you not think that the impact an immature QB may have on a team is a weeeeeee bit more than an immature WR?

SacramentoBob said:

Do you not think that the impact an immature QB may have on a team is a weeeeeee bit more than an immature WR?
Johnny Football vs Josh Gordon ?

SacramentoBob said:

You really think the impact of a supplemental draft stud flaming out is the same as a locker room-dividing first round QB?

SacramentoBob said:

You really think the impact of a supplemental draft stud flaming out is the same as a locker room-dividing first round QB?
I don't know. I just thought it was interesting that the Browns had both sides of your example with recent picks.

There have been several highly publicized WRs who have had major character concerns. Carter, Moss, TO. All were tolerated, coddled, in Dez's case literally babysat. Keep the antics to less than illegal levels, make sure you have leaders in the locker room who can overpower those guys etc.

You simply can't do the same thing with QB. Now by most accounts Winston is respected in the huddle and locker room. I'm just disagreeing with the Brandon Marshall comp.

I'm not sold on either QB. Start Glennon and draft next highest-rated position.
Ugh. Kick the QB can on down the road strategy.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with Williams DT/DE from USC. He's getting compared to the likes of Richard Seymour and pairing him up with Geraldini might be too much for Lovie to resist. Could be a divided war room...

Bucs won a SB with a less than studly Brad Johnson. Killer defense still wins games, even the way the game is today.

I'm not sold on either QB. Start Glennon and draft next highest-rated position.
Ugh. Kick the QB can on down the road strategy.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with Williams DT/DE from USC. He's getting compared to the likes of Richard Seymour and pairing him up with Geraldini might be too much for Lovie to resist. Could be a divided war room...

Bucs won a SB with a less than studly Brad Johnson. Killer defense still wins games, even the way the game is today.
I would be.

I just don't love the idea of giving away Glennon for peanuts for the potential that one of 2 QBs with warts is going to pan out to be more successful than Glennon, especially when factoring in rolling the dice on a potential stud at another position. I look at it more as Glennon + prospect at DT/DE (for example) vs. Mariota/Winston + 6th rounder (or w/e we get for giving away Glennon)...

I guess one would have to say that hitting on a franchise QB is priceless, but if the guys already have warts, I dunno...

I just don't love the idea of giving away Glennon for peanuts for the potential that one of 2 QBs with warts is going to pan out to be more successful than Glennon, especially when factoring in rolling the dice on a potential stud at another position. I look at it more as Glennon + prospect at DT/DE (for example) vs. Mariota/Winston + 6th rounder (or w/e we get for giving away Glennon)...

I guess one would have to say that hitting on a franchise QB is priceless, but if the guys already have warts, I dunno...
Of course top QB not a sure thing but you only get this chance every so often.

Of course. But if you were laying odds, how would you lay them between "QB who looks like the next Peyton Manning" vs. "QB who looks like the next Johnny Manziel"?

Of course. But if you were laying odds, how would you lay them between "QB who looks like the next Peyton Manning" vs. "QB who looks like the next Johnny Manziel"?
Not sure if you are trying to compare Manziel's character issues with Wintson but Winston and Manziel are different and the obvious way is stature.

Jamies Winston 6'4 and 240 lbs.

Johnny Manziel 5'11 3/4 and 207 lbs.

Their are only two QBs in the entire NFL under 6' foot tall who start for their teams, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, both have impeccable character and are Super Bowl winners.

Its difficult to have the baggage of character concerns but young guys can overcome issues but if a prospect has less than prototypical size they will always have to deal with that.

I really haven't studied Glennon or Winston/Mariota enough to compare what they bring but it seems the Bucs are going to go QB with the top pick so if they can get anything from Glennon they should take it IMHO. The new guy is going to start and it would probably work out best in the locker room if Mike were given a shot somewhere else.

I know you don't like the idea of 'giving' Glennon away for peanuts If you look around teams simply do not get a lot in return for QBs who haven't worked out for them. Many get released for nothing at all so if Tampa Bay can get a mid/late round pick that is better than nothing especially for a guy who was not a first round pick to begin with.

I'd say get whatever you can for Glennon, because he'll never be a decent NFL starter...but he started for the Bucs...which sums this situation up perfectly.

Mariota 6-4, 215-219.

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston could go No. 1 overall, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper.

That said, Kiper also believes Winston's off-field maturity issues could "cost him the chance to go in the top five." As with all other evaluators, Kiper is smitten with Winston's on-field ability. He isn't overly concerned with Winston's 18 interceptions this season, calling some of them "mistakes of aggression because he can make pretty much every throw and always sees opportunities." Kiper also pointed out that Matt Ryan threw 19 picks his last year at Boston College before going No. 3 overall. The analyst called Winston "the most advanced QB in this class," a "special talent" and said the signal-caller's big frame will provide Winston with the "assumption of durability" that "has a great deal of value." The analyst concluded: "At this point, Winston is a possibility at No. 1. But after the season he had, on the field and off, the variance right now feels pretty high."

Jan 7 - 6:40 PM
Mel Kiper declared Jimmy Clausen the most NFL ready QB in the draft the year the Panthers took him. Going to be all world. Turns out he was friends with Jimmy's agent and was just helping a friend out. I can't believe this guy still has a job or that anyone cares one bit about his alleged expert opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Multiple NFL analysts commented on FSU QB Jameis Winston's upcoming NFL Combine, specifically about the interview process.

"He’s brought the scrutiny on himself, and how he deals with the next three or four months will be a big part of every team’s evaluation." said Mike Mayock, adding the economic risk could heavily factor into this instance. Former NFL coach Brian Billick laid out how some teams might interpret positive interviews by saying, "(Winston's) agents will get him to a professional interview coach who will instruct him how to dress, act, sit and talk to the teams... He’ll learn some mantra about learning from his mistakes or how he has matured and is ready for the next step." It is up to the team to break the wall prospect's build in interviews, but this kind of reads like a no-win scenario for Winston in the eyes and ears of some.

Source: The Bulletin
Feb 3 - 10:48 AM

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston could go No. 1 overall, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper.

That said, Kiper also believes Winston's off-field maturity issues could "cost him the chance to go in the top five." As with all other evaluators, Kiper is smitten with Winston's on-field ability. He isn't overly concerned with Winston's 18 interceptions this season, calling some of them "mistakes of aggression because he can make pretty much every throw and always sees opportunities." Kiper also pointed out that Matt Ryan threw 19 picks his last year at Boston College before going No. 3 overall. The analyst called Winston "the most advanced QB in this class," a "special talent" and said the signal-caller's big frame will provide Winston with the "assumption of durability" that "has a great deal of value." The analyst concluded: "At this point, Winston is a possibility at No. 1. But after the season he had, on the field and off, the variance right now feels pretty high."

Jan 7 - 6:40 PM
Mel Kiper declared Jimmy Clausen the most NFL ready QB in the draft the year the Panthers took him. Going to be all world. Turns out he was friends with Jimmy's agent and was just helping a friend out. I can't believe this guy still has a job or that anyone cares one bit about his alleged expert opinion.
We shouldn't listen to any draft expert that gets an opinion wrong, amirite?

Mariota 6-4, 215-219.
Because the best predicter of success in the NFL for a QB is size, right? Lets not forget all the SBs J. Russell won.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariota 6-4, 215-219.
Because the best predicter of success in the NFL for a QB is size, right? Lets not forget all the SBs J. Russell won.
The bigger they are, the more purple drank they can drink.

Mariota 6-4, 215-219.
Or you could say the bigger predictor for failure is (lack of) size.

So for, there is one Russell Wilson.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes FSU QB Jameis Winston's skill set compares to New York Giants QB Eli Manning.
"His game is more like Eli's because he can hurt the other team and his own team with some of his decision making," Zierlein wrote. The FSU prospect has been known to turn the ball over, and Zierlein believes Winston's "ability and his penchant for making poor decisions in giving the ball away unnecessarily with interceptions," is more like Eli. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Winston's skill set "is more like Ben Roethlisberger."

Source: NFL.com
Feb 4 - 2:09 PM

Roethlisberger isn't a comparison I like to see, considering
You would have to be a moron to not be psyched to get a QB with Roethlisberger's skill-set if you're a Bucs fan. That's a great potential skill-set.

The comparison has nothing to do with rape allegations.

The thing is due to letting Lovie get his guys, we never got to see Glennon get that full second season and chemistry with the offense that would give us the definitive answer if we need to go qb here. He played pretty well. I was actually VERY impressed with his pocket presence every time he played. Very poised and comfortable standing in there. When you're 6'7" you can see everything going on pretty darn easily.

I say draft whatever qb at 1. Give Glennon at least the first half of the season. He does poorly, move on to the rookie. He does well, you can trade him for an increased value.

You would have to be a moron to not be psyched to get a QB with Roethlisberger's skill-set if you're a Bucs fan. That's a great potential skill-set.

Roethlisberger came a hair's breadth from completely melting down with the most supportive organization in football propping him up.

If he'd have been drafted into the Tampa train wreck, he'd have been out of the league years ago.

And Winston's red flags absolutely dwarf Big Ben's.

Roethlisberger came a hair's breadth from completely melting down with the most supportive organization in football propping him up.

If he'd have been drafted into the Tampa train wreck, he'd have been out of the league years ago.

And Winston's red flags absolutely dwarf Big Ben's.
This would matter if the Roethlisberger comp that guy quoted had anything to do with off-field issues. Feel free to have that discussion with someone who is interested. That Roethlisberger comp was strictly based on skill-set, and that's a good and encouraging comp if you're interested in talking football.

Former Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik says that he would take Marcus Mariota over Jamies Winston and gives his reasons but at the end of this article it has a direct quote from Todd McShay where he says that Jamies Winston has the second highest rating he has given any QB coming out in the last decade, second only to Andrew Luck. He punctuates that statement topping it off by saying their is nobody else in-between. Hmnnnn.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/ex-bucs-gm-mark-dominik-would-select-mariota-over-winston/2216585

Ex-Bucs GM Mark Dominik would select Mariota over Winston

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota would likely be the Bucs' No. 1 overall pick over Florida State's Jameis Winston if the decision was left to Mark Dominik.

The former Bucs' general manager, who now works as a NFL analyst for ESPN, said Thursday there isn't enough of a difference in talent between the Heisman Trophy winners to risk the potential off-field problems Winston brings.

Todd McShay, ESPN's draft expert, has the Bucs taking Winston with the first pick in his latest mock draft. In his first mock, McShay had Mariota going to the Bucs.

"I think you take Mariota. That's who I would take right now,'' Dominik said. "To me, the talent level is not that different. Mariota has got a quick release, they're both very smart, they both understand offenses, they both get the ball out, there's a lot things that are very similar. But the thing that's different is the fact that there's an X factor in Winston right now. If you don't feel comfortable saying he's the face of the franchise, I don't think the difference is enough to sit there and say you don't take Mariota.''

Winston was accused but never charged of sexual assault and had several other comparitively minor infractions off the field at Florida State. Dominik, who served as the Bucs GM from 2009-13, said the Bucs have to determine whether they can trust Winston.

"They've got to find out whether or not they can trust him to be the face of the franchise and hold that up to the level you have to in the National Football League ,'' Dominik said of Winston. "I think the main way to do that is a couple questions. The first thing I would ask him is give me a reason why I can trust you. Show me something you've done in the last three months why I can trust you. Then I would follow it up with, "Okay, now give me another one.' Because I want to see if he's really working at it because that's the most important thing about Jameis Winston, is whether or not you can trust him to run your organization.''

McShay said only the Colts Andrew Luck has been as productive from the pocket as Winston among quarterbacks who have entered the NFL in the past 10 years.

"The Bucs and every other team -- Tennessee, Washington, the New York Jets, the Houston Texans -- any team that's considering a quarterback and even some that are not, are going to go through the process of investigating him and going through the psychological process, bringing him for interviews, making him take psychological tests, they want every bit of information they can gather,'' McShay said. "At the end of the day, if you're comfortable with it, and ultimately if you feel you can trust Jameis Winston to be the face of your franchise, then it goes to on the field. And on the field, I think there's a big gap between Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. Winston does things from inside the pocket, where you have to win in the NFL, that very few others really you ever see them coming out of the college level do, and that's why I say purely from on the field, I think the grade for Jameis Winston is just behind Andrew Luck's in the last 10 years. There's nobody else in between.''

Users who are viewing this thread