What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (3 Viewers)

Consensus right now is QB14 - I think he has a real shot at nearing 5K and 35ish TD's
Yeah, that has me thinking of taking him and a slightly safer option in the later rounds this weekend in my IDP draft. 

Even if he’s more like 4000/32/12 interceptions, he is still a  relative bargain at that price. 

I think he and cam Newton may be the two biggest values at quarterback this year.  

I waited until the 10th RD this year and vomited a little in my mouth while taking Winston.  Wanted Goff.  He went rt before my pick.  I am cautiously optimistic on Winston but my god is he a knucklehead and he burned me last year big time.  Wasn’t planning on going back to the well with him but here we go!  Lol 

I waited until the 10th RD this year and vomited a little in my mouth while taking Winston.  Wanted Goff.  He went rt before my pick.  I am cautiously optimistic on Winston but my god is he a knucklehead and he burned me last year big time.  Wasn’t planning on going back to the well with him but here we go!  Lol 
Geoff/Winston would be a great free fall 1/2 (saying this not having checked their BYEs)

So went with Mahomes early and took Winston as my back-up. If Winston looks good, can potentially trade Mahomes or Winston to solidify my RB or WR positions. Valid strategy?

So went with Mahomes early and took Winston as my back-up. If Winston looks good, can potentially trade Mahomes or Winston to solidify my RB or WR positions. Valid strategy?
No matter how good Winston does he will have no trade value.  If he lights it up in sept/oct you can definitely trade Mahomes for a good tier rb or WR. 

Hard to see much value in that first author’s article when I read the headline under the picture and both statements are false.

“No other quarterback in NFL history has thrown for as many yards (14,628) or touchdowns (88) before turning 25, but there are still huge question marks about whether Jameis Winston has the complete game to be a star in the NFL. TIMES ARCHIVES.”

More TDs... Marino.

More yards... Bledsoe.

The only thing stopping me from panicking trading to get a better bw rt now is that the bucks have no viable backup QB to bench Winston for.  So I will roll with him for a few more weeks to see if he can right the ship.  But my goodness am I panicking. The 2 qbs I drafted this summer were Winston and Trubisky.  I just puked in my mouth typing that.  

I drank the Kool-Aid and have him on 2 teams. I know it's only week 1 but I can't see using him except in an emergency.

He hasn't improved at all. His decision making is horrible. Put him down as bust #1 this season.

I wanted him in all 6 of my redraft leagues.  Got him in only one as he was picked earlier than I had him.  So basically I was wrong but not as wrong as  some in my leagues.  Sad thing is the Buc's played great defense.  Ron Jones looked good.

He strikes me as a dude who just doesn’t put the work in. His game looked exactly the same as last season leading up to his benching. Turnover machine, poor decision making, gives up.

I thought Arians was the one guy who could get him to elevate his game. If he can't get Winston going,  then it's basically hopeless.

Gotta give it a few games to see if this was an anomaly.  Normally even when he throws picks he’s also slinging dimes and throwing TDs along with it. Yesterday was just almost exclusively horrible.  lol 

Mike Evans came into the game sick and with that heat he definitely wasn't 100%.   Not ready to give up, but as mentioned above - the same old **** with Winston's decision making.

Just to put things in a little bit of perspective.  He had touchdown passes on back to back plays early in the game overturned by questionable holding calls.  His first interception went directly through O.J. Howard's hands.  Two other solid drives that could have ended in points but didn't because of a bad fumble and a turnover on downs. 

Weird game.  But, he didn't look right.  Like he wasn't comfortable running the offense.  Evans having the flu and coming out every other play didn't help either. 

As long as he’s in the lineup he will have some monster games based purely on volume. Guy can throw 2 picks and still get 40 points. Too many weapons and has ideal game scripts. 

I have him with Brees right now. Strategy is to play Brees every home game and look for options when he is on the road. Huge differentiation in home/road stats. Maybe it’s Winston, maybe it’s somebody else. Might even stream 

For what it's worth:

After reviewing the tape, Arians put the blame on Evans and Barber for those Bucs turnovers, stating that Winston actually threw some perfect balls on those plays.

“After a looking at the film the biggest problem with the interception for the touchdown was Peyton was about three yards too deep on his route,” Arians said.”  Last night I thought he was fine, but he was too deep, the ball was thrown perfectly. Mike [Evans] missed his hot [route], Jameis executed the play perfectly, the other guys let him down.

On the late game interception sealed the win for San Francisco, Arians did say that he would have preferred that Winston threw the ball away on the screen pass to Barber since he was under duress.

“The one for the screen, that’s just got to be a throw away, but the other two were not on the quarterback, we dropped one right in our hands, so, we got to eliminate those types of plays if we’re going to beat anybody.

“Two of them he had nothing to do with. He throws a perfect ball, we drop it, it goes up in the air they get an interception. Then the guy runs a route too deep and he threw it right where it’s supposed to be after the guy missed the hot, so guys have to play better around it.”

I drank the Kool-Aid and have him on 2 teams. I know it's only week 1 but I can't see using him except in an emergency.

He hasn't improved at all. His decision making is horrible. Put him down as bust #1 this season.
At least you didn't trade away Russell Wilson and Christina McCaffrey for him & Darrell Henderson. Yeah someone did that in our league. :lmao:

For what it's worth:
Well, Arians, lets not forget the 2 dropped passes that hit the defenders right in the hands, one would have been a 95 yard INT for a TD. He threw them right to the defender. Must be hard to catch his passes cause I've never seen a guy hit defenders in the hands so much and they drop the INT. Or it could be the defender is so shocked to see the ball coming right at them.

Wow. Throwing those guys right under the bus.
Well, he's not going to throw himself under the bus and admit that he was 100% wrong in is analysis of Winston. Odds are he will work the health issue angle and get outta town before December. Really wouldn't blame the guy if he went with that angle.

Payne said:
Wow. Throwing those guys right under the bus.
It’s what Arians does. He did the exact same thing in AZ with Carson Palmer. The first few weeks Palmer looked horrible and Arians kept saying it was the WRs screwing up. Turns out he was probably right.

rickyg said:
Gotta give it a few games to see if this was an anomaly.  Normally even when he throws picks he’s also slinging dimes and throwing TDs along with it. Yesterday was just almost exclusively horrible.  lol 
Why would it be an anomaly? He's been terrible since the day he stepped into the league.

Why would it be an anomaly? He's been terrible since the day he stepped into the league.
There’s a difference bw real life qb and fantasy qb.  Real life he stinks BC he makes too many boneheaded mistakes.   Fantasy he does not usually stink.  He usually crushes it.  

Jameis Winston completed 16-of-25 passes for 208 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' 20-14, Week 2 win over the Panthers.

Winston added four carries for nine yards. Winston came out like he had been reading memes about himself all week, playing too conservatively and failing to get anything going. He looked afraid to make mistakes. He finally started letting it fly near the end of the first half, and was rewarded with a beautiful 20-yard score to Chris Godwin. He should have added a 24-yard touchdown late in the third quarter, but Breshad Perriman let a perfectly-placed ball go through his hands in the end zone. Winston also missed Mike Evans on a potential score in the first quarter. Despite the quiet box score, the evening was a big improvement on Winston's nightmarish Week 1. Winston has an approachable Week 3 home matchup in the Giants.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:31 AM ET

Looked good tonight. Should have had 3 TDs (and one INT if we’re fair). 
Even if the INT had occurred it wouldn't have been his fault.  Winston delivered the ball in stride to his WR with accuracy but he bobbled the ball up in the air.  

I'm not giving up on him just yet.  He finished better than he started.  Let's get one thing straight though - Jameis is not what you want if you plan on having a QB play simply to not lose.  He makes too many mistakes.  I'll gladly take a few INT's, as long as they come with 300+ yards and multiple scores.

If nothing else, it seems clear at this point that Winston is not a franchise QB.

As the guys on my favorite Bills podcast have said, if you get to year 3 or 4 and you're still not sure, the answer is No.

Crazy all the hype Winston and Mariota got and neither one panned out.

Users who are viewing this thread