What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (7 Viewers)

I'm not giving up on him just yet.  He finished better than he started.  Let's get one thing straight though - Jameis is not what you want if you plan on having a QB play simply to not lose.  He makes too many mistakes.  I'll gladly take a few INT's, as long as they come with 300+ yards and multiple scores.
I'm assuming your last sentence is in the context of fantasy football.

As far as mistakes go, there are mistakes that result from being aggressive (i.e. "gunslinger") and then there are those "What on earth did you see/do there?!?" type mistakes. If you have the skills and the situational awareness to be aggressive, great but the other stuff, the stuff Winston hasn't been able to shed from his game to this point, simply can't happen - especially when you're entering year 5 as a starter.

Arians said all off-season that part of Winston’s problems was always playing behind and throwing a ton. More mistakes breed from that. 26 passes last night, great D, somewhat tolerable run game will get it done against a lot of teams. Happy to see. 

If nothing else, it seems clear at this point that Winston is not a franchise QB.

As the guys on my favorite Bills podcast have said, if you get to year 3 or 4 and you're still not sure, the answer is No.

Crazy all the hype Winston and Mariota got and neither one panned out.
I don’t really give a #### at all if he’s a franchise qb or not. It’s been 12 years since they made the playoffs. I just want to see wild card game. 

Tight window passing from TNF Week 2 (@PFF)

Jameis Winston:

92.2 passing grade

8.6 YPA

0% uncatchable passes thrown

Cam Newton:

38.7 passing grade

2.2 YPA

61.5% uncatchable passes thrown

Bucs can win a lot of games if Jameis can play like that consistently  

Even if the INT had occurred it wouldn't have been his fault.  Winston delivered the ball in stride to his WR with accuracy but he bobbled the ball up in the air.  
The one I saw hit the defender in the hands and wasn’t the receiver’s fault. 

Key takeaways and stats to know from Week 2

JAMEIS WINSTON OFFERS A MUCH-IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

After a tumultuous Week 1, all arrows were pointing down on Jameis Winston’s season while all the buildup from the offseason of hype over the hiring of quarterback guru Bruce Arians as head coach had become a bust. Fast forward only four days later, the narrative around Winston is very different thanks to a much-improved performance against a division rival in the national spotlight on Thursday Night Football.

Against the 49ers in Week 1, it was hard to find a facet in the game that Winston didn’t struggle in. He lumbered his way to a 43.6 passing grade (last in NFL) and of his 36 attempts, Winston targeted his first read only 47.2% of the time (last in NFL). Even though it wasn’t as often as the rest of the NFL, it affected the game plenty when he did. Winston earned the lowest passing grade (43.6) on such passes and it accounted for two of his three turnover worthy plays.

That wasn’t the case Thursday night, as Winston bounced back to target his first read on 76% of his passes and more than doubled his passing grade to an impressive 89.5. That includes a touchdown pass to wide receiver Chris Godwin to go along with his three big-time throws and zero turnover-worthy plays.

Tight window passing from TNF Week 2 (@PFF)

Jameis Winston:

92.2 passing grade

8.6 YPA

0% uncatchable passes thrown

Cam Newton:

38.7 passing grade

2.2 YPA

61.5% uncatchable passes thrown

Bucs can win a lot of games if Jameis can play like that consistently  
Yes, that's been the hope for 5 years. 

Jameis Winston (foot) is expected to start in Week 3 against the Giants.

Winston surprisingly popped up on the team's injury report but is expected to start after practicing in full. It's only concerning since recency bias brings to mind Ben Roethlisberger, who (secretly) dealt with an injury heading into Pittsburgh's Week 2 matchup against the Seahawks, struggled, then was promptly ruled out for the year. If healthy, it's likely a week Winston and the Bucs' offense get back on track against a shoddy Giants defense allowing 10.6 yards per attempt.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

He is on my 12 team 1 QB start Dyno league waivers and I just can’t pick him up. On top off complete lapses of stupid on the field he gives those strange rally talks that nobody seems to understand. No way in heck TB gives him a hundred mill after this season....right?

He is on my 12 team 1 QB start Dyno league waivers and I just can’t pick him up. On top off complete lapses of stupid on the field he gives those strange rally talks that nobody seems to understand. No way in heck TB gives him a hundred mill after this season....right?
People paid the Sex Pistols not to put out records on their record labels, so anything's possible. 

I don’t know what they’re going to do. I think they’ll likely be picking in the 10-18 range which won’t allow them to get the premium QBs and Arians is 100% not there to break in some rookie. But Jameis isn’t good enough for that contract. They may just franchise him for a year and kick the can down the road. 

What on earth are they doing? That's Romo-esque. They're up eleven with eight to play and he's underthrowing deep outs. Oooof

I

Love that you waited till right that moment. Perfect troll. 
I like how you started bowing up again when the team got a big lead and he had not served up one of his textbook INTs. You should have just le t it be.

You really cannot call someone whose analysis has been correct since day one a 'troll' and think you are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I like how you started bowing up again when the team got a big lead and he had not served up one of his textbook INTs. You should have just le t it be.

You really cannot call someone whose analysis has been correct since day one a 'troll' and think you are right.
He’s been good since week 2. I haven’t said anything. He’s been amazing today and threw a bad pass. Most nfl QBs do the same. Nobody is saying he’s brady. 

Yup. And Winston led them down there for that FG attempt.
Been waiting on him for years. I'm sure he's one of the best thirty-two in the world, it's how close he is to number one that is the debate. 

I just read the Deep Ball Accuracy Report from a fine fellow at Football Outsiders. Fascinating read. I think Jameis was 23rd out of the 32. The throw they show him making is unreal. 

No joke, I literally now loathe this POS.  Lol.  I need anger management.  This is the 2nd year in a row I drafted Winston and he f’d me.  2 garbage weeks had me thinking I was wrong about him and he sucks.  I wasn’t even sure he’d finish the year as the bucs starter.  Dropped him to the wire.  Thought I was smart. Now, for 2 weeks straight, his production could have helped me secure wins.  Instead I’ve been trotting our Andy dalton.  I need to step away from looking at my redraft league for a while.  I’m much bette in dynasty  where I don’t churn my roster.  Anthjehabdhrhcnejzbfjwncjfj&3!,8/$;$.&3$,!!3&,!;$:!.!!3$?’dn

Jameis Winston completed 28-of-41 passes for 385 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception in the Bucs' 55-40, Week 4 win over the Rams.

This was a tough on-paper spot headed into the week, but Winston answered with easily his best game of the young season. His only mistake was a fourth-quarter pick-six to Marcus Peters to give the Rams life after trailing most of the day by double digits. Winston's first two scores were to Chris Godwin in the red zone. Winston threw another red-zone strike to Cameron Brate for a touchdown, and then beat Peters deep for a 67-yard hookup to Mike Evans. Winston and Godwin were cooking all afternoon, generating a 12-172-2 line on 14 targets. Winston will be a high-ceiling but always risky QB1 play next week in the Superdome against the Saints.

Sep 29, 2019, 7:55 PM ET

Would’ve won this week if I didn’t cut ties two weeks ago. 

Honestly still don’t know if I can trust him. 

Mercurial might be a good word for him. Or inconsistent. Either way, I get what you're saying, but he's had his third straight good game in a row under Arians and Leftwich.

In this boat as well.  I traded for Brady after Cam went down since Jameis was my only other QB and He's massively outscored Brady since.  N.O. Def next week, so I'm going to keep him on the bench for one more week at least.  Saints looked tough. 

In this boat as well.  I traded for Brady after Cam went down since Jameis was my only other QB and He's massively outscored Brady since.  N.O. Def next week, so I'm going to keep him on the bench for one more week at least.  Saints looked tough. 
You would have put him on the bench against the Rams . He proved us wrong. 

You can't bench him against NO. 

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
I’m so torn on this guy. Do I take this opportunity to try and upgrade him or by the end of the season is he the guy people are trading for?

I’m so torn on this guy. Do I take this opportunity to try and upgrade him or by the end of the season is he the guy people are trading for?
I know that I love his weapons. Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate and now even RoJo is emerging.

Arians and Leftwich are a huge bump for this guys confidence. They are letting him sling it and as a fantasy owner, I love Arians QBs when they are capable to run is offense. Winston is capable. 

last time they went to N.O. they smoked the saints, no? 
Season opener, TB won by 8, dialed up some deep strikes from Fitz to DJax. Primarily what happened is Gillislee (yes) was in for Ingram who was on suspension and he put the ball on the turf for a scoop-6 by the Bucs D. It was a random wild game, I think 48-40 Bucs.

last time they went to N.O. they smoked the saints, no? 
NO's offense isn't rolling like they do under Brees but I will say that the NO defense has vastly improved and scares me a little this week.  I am committed to Winston this week already though as Goff already played.  Rock and Roll

NO's offense isn't rolling like they do under Brees but I will say that the NO defense has vastly improved and scares me a little this week.  I am committed to Winston this week already though as Goff already played.  Rock and Roll
NO Defense is one of the worst pass Ds in the league. Lattimore has given up the most yards to WR1. 

Most Yards Allowed in Coverage (Cornerbacks) 1. Marshon Lattimore, Saints (380) 2. DeAndre Baker, Giants (307) 3. Janoris Jenkins, Giants (297) 4. Avonte Maddox, Eagles (278) 5. Malcolm Butler, Titans (277) 6. Johnathan Joseph, Texans (269)

In my Yahoo league it says that NO has given up the 3rd most points to QBs and the 6th most to WRs in my scoring system. They shut down Dak, but still have those rankings. 

NO Defense is one of the worst pass Ds in the league. Lattimore has given up the most yards to WR1. 

Most Yards Allowed in Coverage (Cornerbacks) 1. Marshon Lattimore, Saints (380) 2. DeAndre Baker, Giants (307) 3. Janoris Jenkins, Giants (297) 4. Avonte Maddox, Eagles (278) 5. Malcolm Butler, Titans (277) 6. Johnathan Joseph, Texans (269)

In my Yahoo league it says that NO has given up the 3rd most points to QBs and the 6th most to WRs in my scoring system. They shut down Dak, but still have those rankings. 
In my ESPN league they are the #7 overall D while going up against the Texans, Rams, Seattle and Dallas ( not exactly and easy schedule)  Plus being home in the dome.

Lattimore hasn't looked great but did turn the corner last week.  Don't get me wrong I'm starting Winston, I just wouldn't surprised to see a dud game.  Would rather see Brees out there and hope for a shootout instead of Bridgewater and a vanilla offense

​

In my ESPN league they are the #7 overall D while going up against the Texans, Rams, Seattle and Dallas ( not exactly and easy schedule)  Plus being home in the dome.

Lattimore hasn't looked great but did turn the corner last week.  Don't get me wrong I'm starting Winston, I just wouldn't surprised to see a dud game.  Would rather see Brees out there and hope for a shootout instead of Bridgewater and a vanilla offense

​
Sacks and return TDs dont really matter to passing defense in terms of fantasy point production. Defenses can return TDs and get sacks and fumble and the QB can still light them up. Now while that will matter if they pick off Winston or Recover his fumbles, the point remains their defense is easier to pass on than run on...by a wide wide wide margin.

Users who are viewing this thread