What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (2 Viewers)

I wondered about this. It makes me wonder if Hill is on a short leash. I had grabbed Winston and was going to drop, but decided I’d hold to see how it goes. 
My gut feeling is that Hill is on a short leash. If he's not getting it done, we see Winston. Especially with Lattimore out, if the Saints fall behind and they have to pass a ton, I think Winston gets in the game.

As long as Hill doesn't turn the ball over a bunch, or become completely ineffective, both of which are possible, he's going to start.....he's pretty much Lamar Jackson....he may not have the wiggle, but he's very fast, and very athletic.

Saints head coach Sean Payton said Jameis Winston would get a chance to be the team's starting quarterback after Drew Brees retires. 

It's widely expected this will be Brees' final season, which could end with him sidelined with broken ribs. Payton said Winston, along with Taysom Hill, is "going to have that opportunity (to start in New Orleans) the minute Drew leaves." Winston came in for Brees in Week 10 against the 49ers, completing six of ten passes for 63 yards in the Saints victory. He was then replaced by Hill in Week 11 against Atlanta. The team's decision on a post-Brees QB will have lasting implications for Saints pass catchers, including Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas. Kamara, for one, has been phased out of the team's passing attack since Hill took over. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Jim Trotter on Twitter 

Dec 15, 2020, 12:45 PM ET

Placed on the reserve/covid list 
Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Saints QB Jameis Winston has been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

That means he will be out for Week 15 versus the Chiefs. Taysom Hills was going to be the backup to Drew Brees regardless of Winston's status but this might make Sean Payton hesitate when running his only backup quarterback out on punt gunning duties. Winston will go through a few days of COVID tests and if he returns all negative results he will likely rejoin the team next week.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 12:08 PM ET

Saw a report that the Saints like what they've seen from Winston and they'd like to re-sign him. Would this guy take a backup job with the Saints? Or does this imply if they re-signed him, he'd be the starter? Or do Hill and Winston fight it out in camp next year?

The Athletic's Larry Holder said Jameis Winston is likely to be the Saints' starter in 2021. 

"If I were a Saints fan," Holder said, "I’d prepare for Winston to win the starting job and become the heir apparent to Brees." It's a bold take after head coach Sean Payton chose Taysom Hill as the Saints' starter when Drew Brees was sidelined with a serious rib injury. Holder said the Saints would be better off with Winston over Matthew Stafford -- who will probably be traded in the coming weeks -- and that Winston's football IQ is "off the charts." He added that Payton can "coach the interceptions" out of Winston, who went 6-for-10 for 63 yards in Week 10 against the 49ers after Brees suffered broken ribs. Fantasy valuation of Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, and the rest of the Saints will hinge on whether Winston or Hill wins the starting job. The team would first have to sign Winston, an unrestricted free agent. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 28, 2021, 4:25 PM ET

If I'm Jameis I'd be nuts to auto re-sign. There are spots where he can be an a starting QB and not look over his shoulder every game because Payton is too smart for his own good. Explore the landscape first before coming back to the Saints, who are probably doing the same thing.

If I'm Jameis I'd be nuts to auto re-sign. There are spots where he can be an a starting QB and not look over his shoulder every game because Payton is too smart for his own good. Explore the landscape first before coming back to the Saints, who are probably doing the same thing.
Starting a gadget back over him for 4 games wasn’t exactly a sign of confidence. Can’t believe he’d re-sign there unless there were no other options. 

Starting a gadget back over him for 4 games wasn’t exactly a sign of confidence. Can’t believe he’d re-sign there unless there were no other options. 
Yep. It wouldn't surprise me if the Saints went back and re-signed Teddy Bridgewater; he's a guy with a weaker arm but closer to Brees in football IQ and accuracy than Jameis, and the Saints loved him when he was there. In that situation I could see Jameis sign with the Panthers, who desperately at times needed a stronger armed QB to hit guys like Moore/Samuel deep. He's younger than Stafford and would be much cheaper.

I suppose it depends on how you view the QB landscape. Last year he missed out on a starting gig because there were more QBs with starting experience than there were starting jobs (and he had just thrown 1,000 interceptions the season before). While there are multiple jobs open (or potentially open) this year, there again will be a lot of QBs available with multiple rookie options getting drafted. If the Saints offered a multi-year deal with legit signing bonus money, Winston would probably be best suited to take the money and run. It's not like his stock improved by sitting for a year, so if he was hard pressed to get a starting job last year, it's unlikely he would be the top choice for other teams. IMO, for him to "play the market," he would probably have to take a low dollar prove it deal to make himself more attractive than his potential competitors. I suppose it depends on if Winston fashions himself as a $20+ million a year QB or not.

Taysom has had 4 years in the offense and Payton loves him.  Not that hard to understand.  I think Jameis is a better option going forward honestly.  Where else could he go that is as built to win as NO.

Again......where could he go that is as built to win as NO?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much of this (Taysom starting over Winston) was due to familiarity - Taysom knows the offense better having been there longer, more complicated playbook?  Maybe Payton wanted to give Taysom a couple games worth of a try out since he's the one signed longer-term, and the Saints won so they rolled with it.    

Well I just made a HUGE gamble in a $250 startup best ball SF dynasty league. Took Winston with my 9.7 pick. I'll either look like a genius if he becomes the Saints starter (or for another team for that matter) or I'll look like an idiot for using a 9th on a backup. Sometimes you have to swing for the fences right???  :scared:

Shawnky said:
People like Winston don’t care about winning. And why would the saints just give him the job next year. Much, much more likely they want him as the backup.

wlwiles said:
I wonder how much of this (Taysom starting over Winston) was due to familiarity - Taysom knows the offense better having been there longer, more complicated playbook?  Maybe Payton wanted to give Taysom a couple games worth of a try out since he's the one signed longer-term, and the Saints won so they rolled with it.    
Maybe it was alphabetical?

Shawnky said:
The issue isn't the quality of the situation in NO. The issue is that NO should be a pretty attractive destination for a number of available QBs and if I was NO, I'd be looking for someone fairly "Brees-like" - in other words, someone who doesn't throw 1000 INTs a year.

Colts, Bears, and Saints are three being mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if New England and Carolina weren't interested.  The honest truth is that he'd be a value sign starter for any team in need of a qb that isn't in full blown rebuild mode. 
He'd be an upgrade to anything on Washington's roster right now too. But hopefully that changes when they trade for Watson  :wub:

He'd be an upgrade to anything on Washington's roster right now too. But hopefully that changes when they trade for Watson  :wub:
I wish we could do a case study on this somehow.  Winston for an average at best free agent contract or what it costs to get Watson.  Which one is more conducive to a winning future?

I still think Winston can win in the right environment.  I wish it would have been in Tampa, but I'm happy with the guy we've got now.

Saints coach Sean Payton said the team has “big interest” in bringing back Jameis Winston.

“We had a great exposure for one year with Jameis,” Payton said in an interview with Good Morning Football. "We had enough time to see what we had with him as a player, as a leader. I really like what we had a chance to see. He was a tremendous leader for this team, and that’s hard to do when you come in new in free agency your first year as a backup quarterback. So that’ll be an important checkmark for us. And a lot of times, you want to hold your cards closer to the vest and he is a free agent. But him, along with Taysom Hill who’s in the building, we’ve said it all along — we’re going to develop and coach those guys." It's a strong endorsement for Winston, who's set for free agency in March. Winston is the favorite to be the Saints' 2021 starter, though it's not a given after Hill made four spot starts over him last season. 

SOURCE: NFL Network

Feb 3, 2021, 10:03 AM ET

People like Winston don’t care about winning. And why would the saints just give him the job next year. Much, much more likely they want him as the backup.
This isn't only ridiculously wrong, it's also just plain lazy analysis with no basis.  Former Bronco Bennie Fowler  who was with the Saints last year was on a segment Friday on 104.3 The Fan here in Denver.  When asked about Winston he said the guy is very vocal and quite the leader in the locker room.  If he didn't care about winning, he wouldn't have signed the small contract he did to be with the Saints.

All that being said, I'd rather the Saints go a different direction based on this guy's character.  I trust Payton.   I just hope they address QB in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishful thinking for a Saints fan is not wasting a decade with the best QB you’ll ever have and not losing in hilarious fashion in the playoffs every year. 

This isn't only ridiculously wrong, it's also just plain lazy analysis with no basis.  Former Bronco Bennie Fowler  who was with the Saints last year was on a segment Friday on 104.3 The Fan here in Denver.  When asked about Winston he said the guy is very vocal and quite the leader in the locker room.  If he didn't care about winning, he wouldn't have signed the small contract he did to be with the Saints.

All that being said, I'd rather the Saints go a different direction based on this guy's character.  I trust Payton.   I just hope they address QB in this draft.
Dumb, same thing people said last year when I argued nobody would sign him as a starter.

No evidence? The guy has played terrible, nobody signed him last year and the saints played a gadget player over him at qb. Lol, and I’m the biased one. Wake up to reality.

Winston deserves to be employed but his development hit a glass ceiling and it will be difficult to convince anyone that coaching or system or a change of scenery is suddenly going to cause him to break through that ceiling. The safe bet is that he is what he is and will continue to make the kind of poor decisions that make play-off teams not play-off teams.

Dumb, same thing people said last year when I argued nobody would sign him as a starter.

No evidence? The guy has played terrible, nobody signed him last year and the saints played a gadget player over him at qb. Lol, and I’m the biased one. Wake up to reality.
And yet the person's opinion who matters the most, his head coach, said he was a leader and they loved what they saw all year in practice. So I think its safe to trust Sean Payton over your take on this.  :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread