Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Jameis Winston - football talk


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Dumb, same thing people said last year when I argued nobody would sign him as a starter.

No evidence? The guy has played terrible, nobody signed him last year and the saints played a gadget player over him at qb. Lol, and I’m the biased one. Wake up to reality.

And yet the person's opinion who matters the most, his head coach, said he was a leader and they loved what they saw all year in practice. So I think its safe to trust Sean Payton over your take on this. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

And yet the person's opinion who matters the most, his head coach, said he was a leader and they loved what they saw all year in practice. So I think its safe to trust Sean Payton over your take on this. :rolleyes:

Evidently they didn't love what they saw in practice enough to play him during Brees' multi game absence. Wouldn't you be looking for a level of love that keeps Taysom Hill on the bench?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, habsfan said:

Evidently they didn't love what they saw in practice enough to play him during Brees' multi game absence. Wouldn't you be looking for a level of love that keeps Taysom Hill on the bench?

I mean that was the obvious fly in the ointment. They started a gadget running back over a guy who threw for 5000 yards the previous season. I’m sure Payton would like to have him back buy why would Jameis want to return? Provided he has any other starting options, and I have to assume a place like Indy will be desperate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Capella said:

I mean that was the obvious fly in the ointment. They started a gadget running back over a guy who threw for 5000 yards the previous season. I’m sure Payton would like to have him back buy why would Jameis want to return? Provided he has any other starting options, and I have to assume a place like Indy will be desperate. 

There are a number of desperate teams that fit this scenario (need a new QB, but pick too late in the draft to get a top prospect): Indy, WFT, Chi, SF..... Throw NO into the mix if Brees goes on sabbatical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Way too much assumpin' makin' goin' on from a distance. Hill has a nice arm but it wasn't used much, it's used when he is the RB3/QB2, then it comes in handy. There was a lot of wasted space especially with Kamara when Hill played as well. I think the point of Hill was to see if he could be a legit NFL backup and I think he passed that test. He did not pass the starter test. We'll see Winston start next year and the fact that the deep ball will be back could reinvorgate the offense. With Brees and Hill the Saints were still 5th in points scored.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

There are a number of desperate teams that fit this scenario (need a new QB, but pick too late in the draft to get a top prospect): Indy, WFT, Chi, SF..... Throw NO into the mix if Brees goes on sabbatical.

I would think those first 3 teams, particularly Indy, having a lot of interest in him. Much different landscape than last season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Capella said:

I would think those first 3 teams, particularly Indy, having a lot of interest in him. Much different landscape than last season. 

This can't be overstated. COMPELTELY different situation this year.  With so many  teams wanting to upgrade that position I don't see how a former #1 overall QB who threw for over 5000 yards and 30 TDs is going to have a problem getting a starting job. I don't see how anyone can think otherwise honestly. :shrug: And I wonder if behind closed doors he tells the Saints he's only interested in resigning if he is given the starting job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Saints QB Jameis Winston is "in the driver's seat" for the New Orleans starting quarterback job.

Drew Brees has not made his retirement official yet but all indications are that he is done playing in the NFL. That leaves the starting QB job up for grabs in New Orleans. Taysom Hill was the only quarterback other than Brees to start in 2020 but Winston reportedly impressed the staff in practice. Hill made four starts and threw the ball well while adding a dynamic element with his running ability. Winston attempted just 12 passes on the year but did make a nice touchdown throw on a trick play in the playoffs. The Saints may not be able to keep Winston if the market for him is hot. They are currently working with a projected deficit of over $70 million for 2021. If there aren't many suitors for Winston in free agency, he looks like the clear favorite to start for New Orleans in 2021.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 7, 2021, 10:43 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, voiceofunreason said:

Dumb, same thing people said last year when I argued nobody would sign him as a starter.

No evidence? The guy has played terrible, nobody signed him last year and the saints played a gadget player over him at qb. Lol, and I’m the biased one. Wake up to reality.

Fitting name as your response not only has nothing to do with my post, but is void of logic and reason.   A nobody on a message board knows more than a players teammates and coach lol

Edited by Shawnky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jameis Winston is the "likely starter" for the Saints.

A normal Sunday afternoon for the Saints. Drew Brees finally announced his retirement, and the Saints trolled us by giving Taysom Hill a four-year, $140 million extension. Hill's contract is just funny money, however, because it's filled with void years. The Saints just punted some 2021 money into next year to help get under this year's salary cap, nothing more. While Winston hasn't re-signed yet, the league-wide expectation is that a deal will get done. Winston has a lot of potential behind an elite offensive line with some splashy play-makers, but his deal could be incentive-driven and his leash could be short with Hill being a coaching staff favorite.

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

JAMEIS WINSTON QB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill will compete for the Saints' starting QB job in training camp.

Russini said the team is working on a new contract for Winston, who is slated to be a free agent this week. However, a new deal "would not mean Winston is the starter," Russini said. The Saints are expected to have their two QBs engage in a full-blown QB competition following Drew Brees' retirement. The team on Sunday gave Hill a largely-voidable four-year, $140 million contract. In four starts last season, Hill averaged 21.1 fantasy points -- a number buoyed by his 209 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns over that stretch. Now he'll go head to head with Winston to see who takes over for Brees. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2021, 8:34 AM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is this such a foregone conclusion?  If I'm Jameis I'd want to sign somewhere I'm the unquestioned starter.  Why stay in NO to compete with Hill? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Grahamburn said:

Why is this such a foregone conclusion?  If I'm Jameis I'd want to sign somewhere I'm the unquestioned starter.  Why stay in NO to compete with Hill? 

If he believes he can beat Hill out - and he should - then it's a great system for him to succeed and a great place to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If he believes he can beat Hill out - and he should - then it's a great system for him to succeed and a great place to play.

When Brees was out Hill started. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yes - Winston actually came in that game, but Hill started after that. That doesn't change what I said though.

Why would Winston be confident he can beat out Hill when Hill started over him for the 4 games Brees was out? Good HC.  Great city and place to play.  Correct. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

Why would Winston be confident he can beat out Hill when Hill started over him for the 4 games Brees was out? Good HC.  Great city and place to play.  Correct. 

Because he should believe he's the better QB - Hill was in the system longer and is a "pet" of Peyton that's why he got the starts.

 Hill looked better than I thought he would, but he did not look like a long term starting caliber NFL QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of a different perspective that some of the posters here. I think Winston should play the market a bit because tight now there are teams who are looking for QBs like the Panthers (down on Teddy Bridgewater) and the Bears (TRUBISKY!!!!) and he could legit be a better fit with both teams if he plays his cards right. The question for him that we as fans don't know i this: How much of this "QB competition" for the Saints is legit? Is it "It's Jameis' job to lose and Taysom Hill will be a gadget QB like in Brees' time?" Or is it a legit QB battle in camp? Because if it's the latter then Winston might as well explore free agency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

Because he had 4 years in Payton's offense.

So we're saying Winston didn't know the offense by week 10 and that's why Hill started?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Frankman said:

I'm thinking of a different perspective that some of the posters here. I think Winston should play the market a bit because tight now there are teams who are looking for QBs like the Panthers (down on Teddy Bridgewater) and the Bears (TRUBISKY!!!!) and he could legit be a better fit with both teams if he plays his cards right. The question for him that we as fans don't know i this: How much of this "QB competition" for the Saints is legit? Is it "It's Jameis' job to lose and Taysom Hill will be a gadget QB like in Brees' time?" Or is it a legit QB battle in camp? Because if it's the latter then Winston might as well explore free agency.

Yeah I agree. I'd be a little hesitant to stay in NO to compete. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

So we're saying Winston didn't know the offense by week 10 and that's why Hill started?

No, Hill knew it better considering he was in it for multiple years in real-game situations at multiple positions (QB/RB/TE/WR), and that's to be expected considering it was Winston's 1st year and he had no camp.

 

EDIT : I think that is something we discount a lot of times as fans. If you're a coach and you don't have to change verbiage for play-calling for a guy because he's familiar with what you want to run in the playbook from multiple angles, they'll go with that guy. We've seen it tons of times where coaches will play one player over a more talented guy because "he knows the playbook".

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

No, Hill knew it better considering he was in it for multiple years in real-game situations at multiple positions (QB/RB/TE/WR), and that's to be expected considering it was Winston's 1st year and he had no camp.

But now that Hill has another year of experience, live game action, and a new contract Jameis will be the front runner to start?  I don't get that.  There are multiple teams that should be looking at him to be their QB.  Why is he dead set on a competition in New Orleans?  Maybe I'm overestimating his market.  Teddy Bridgewater got $20M a year last off-season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

But now that Hill has another year of experience, live game action, and a new contract Jameis will be the front runner to start?  I don't get that.  There are multiple teams that should be looking at him to be their QB.  Why is he dead set on a competition in New Orleans?  Maybe I'm overestimating his market.  Teddy Bridgewater got $20M a year last off-season. 

I am just as confused by the whole situation, but I think the idea is that Winston, being a former #1 pick, has the pedigree to be a starting QB in the NFL whereas Hill presumably isn't cut out for it. Or to a lesser degree. I don't know where the truth lies but I agree Winston should be looking elsewhere unless there is an understanding behind closed doors. Coaches talk about competition all the time and don't mean it. Winston has showed he is more than capable of losing a starting job, so maybe privately they say you're the guy but you're going to have a short leash, but publicly translate it as we're going to have a competition.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2021 at 8:14 PM, habsfan said:

Winston deserves to be employed but his development hit a glass ceiling

Winston being unfairly blocked because of sexism in the boardroom?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Saints re-signed QB Jameis Winston to a one-year, $12 million contract.

As expected. The Saints are gearing up to have Taysom Hill and Winston compete for the starting gig following Drew Brees' retirement, which will undoubtedly affect Michael Thomas' and Alvin Kamara's fantasy outlooks pending the final outcome. Hill looked to Thomas for a team-high 28% target share in his four starts last year but Winston obviously offers the more potent arm to unlock more plays downfield. Their camp battle will be one to monitor throughout the summer.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter

Mar 15, 2021, 9:01 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bears "were a suitor" for Jameis Winston before he re-signed with the Saints. 

Per Fowler, the Bears are "exhausting all options" as they apparently replace Mitchell Trubisky. Winston in Chicago would have been a disaster waiting to happen, though he probably would have had an easier path to a guaranteed starting job than he does in New Orleans, where Taysom Hill isn't going anywhere. Winston still made the right decision partnering up with Sean Payton and Michael Thomas as opposed to Matt Nagy. The Bears have very few appealing fall-back options in free agency. It's going to be another long spring in Chicago. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2021, 10:21 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport believes Jameis Winston "does have a leg up" on Taysom Hill in the Saints' quarterback competition.  

Per Rapsheet, Winston "really impressed in practice" last season, and the Saints "like what they have seen of his decision-making." They apparently believe Winston is "primed to make a big leap." This, of course, doesn't jibe with the Saints turning to Hill first in Drew Brees' absence last season, but Rapoport reports that was because coach Sean Payton had already promised Hill the opportunity. Hill was better than many expected, but perhaps worse than Payton expected. Even if Hill loses the starting contest, his role will remain large in the Saints' offense. When it comes to running the kind of passing attack Payton has always featured, Winston is the only legitimate option. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 23, 2021, 3:21 PM ET

QUINTON SPAING, CINCINNATI BENGALS

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I smell the rare QBBC coming. 

I was tempted to make a play for Winston, but I just don’t trust Payton right now.  If Winston is the 1a starter; you just know Hill’s coming in to steal snaps. 

And if Winston reverts to his old pick-happy ways, that part could go south in a hurry. 

It very well could be that neither Hill nor Winston is start-able on a weekly basis, unheard of for the Saints QBs of recent memory. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What makes Winston interesting is the same thing that hinders him. If it’s even possible to coach the “gun slinger” mentality out of him I’m not sure it’s to the Saints’ benefit. He’s not a 3-5 step read the field drop back passer like Drew Brees. It would be a big mistake to expect him to be one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Jameis Winston said he signed a one-year contract so he could "show that I can be an elite quarterback."

"I just wanted a one-year to show that I can be an elite quarterback, that I will protect the football and that I’m a CEO," was Winston's full quote. "I’m ready to lead a team, ready to lead an organization and lead a community to happiness." After five years in a rudderless Bucs organization, Winston seems on a different wavelength after a season shadowing Drew Brees and Sean Payton. Most signs are pointing toward Winston getting the first chance to replace Brees over Taysom Hill, but Hill's presence means Winston is going to have to come out and take the job instead of having it handed to him. Hill's continued usage in the red zone will also mean Winston's fantasy upside probably won't be what it otherwise would in a Payton-coached offense. 

SOURCE: Luke Johnson on Twitter 

Mar 30, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Saints head coach Sean Payton will create an offense that would work with Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill, "with tweaks to highlight each guy’s talents."

“None of this is laminated,” Payton said when asked about his post-Brees plans for the New Orleans offense. “You’re moving in with plans, you’re moving in with featured groupings of plays, personnel groupings, and yet there’s always some adaptability to what you’re doing. And that can be week-to-week also, throughout the season.” It doesn't take much reading into Payton's comments to wonder if the team plans to rotate quarterbacks in 2021, perhaps using both Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill through stretches of the same game. If Payton lands on Winston as the Week 1 starter, fantasy players should expect Hill to maintain his role as utility player and potential goal line weapon. That would destroy Winston's fantasy upside. The Saints' QB situation shapes up to be a waking nightmare for fantasy managers this summer. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: SI.com 

Apr 5, 2021, 9:27 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

After five years in a rudderless Bucs organization, Winston seems on a different wavelength after a season shadowing Drew Brees and Sean Payton.

Lol.  Yet the Bucs were able to somehow find their rudder immediately after Jameis' departure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

Lol.  Yet the Bucs were able to somehow find their rudder immediately after Jameis' departure. 

Come on let's be fair to Winston, Tom Brady isn't just some dude that walks in...he's GOAT, not debatable, and I'd say he would have improved ANY offense in the league last year. Not saying there isn't stuff to pick on Winston, but pointing out the Bucs success is more about Brady than the absence of Winston IMO....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ffmail4me said:

Come on let's be fair to Winston, Tom Brady isn't just some dude that walks in...he's GOAT, not debatable, and I'd say he would have improved ANY offense in the league last year. Not saying there isn't stuff to pick on Winston, but pointing out the Bucs success is more about Brady than the absence of Winston IMO....

The quote was bashing the Bucs' organization, which clearly is just fine without Winston as a part of it.  Winston brought the organization down a lot more than the other way around.  That's all I'm saying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

Come on let's be fair to Winston, Tom Brady isn't just some dude that walks in...he's GOAT, not debatable, and I'd say he would have improved ANY offense in the league last year. Not saying there isn't stuff to pick on Winston, but pointing out the Bucs success is more about Brady than the absence of Winston IMO....

Dude threw 30 picks the year before lol, the absence of Winston was a huge deal, as good as Brady is of course. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Faust said:

 

Me thinks Coach Payton has lost his mind. Folks counting on either of the two remaining QBs or even both of them to maintain the Saints offensive consistency are up the creek without a paddle in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Quote

NewOrleans.com's Nick Underhill reports Jameis Winston is not the Saints' "solidified starter" headed into the 2021 season. 

Underhill reiterated that the Saints will conduct a "true" quarterback competition between Winston and Taysom Hill in training camp. "Nothing is decided right now," Underhill said. He gave the edge to Winston, but said if Hill can demonstrate some improvement -- including making quicker reads -- he has a real shot at starting for the Saints in Week 1. In four 2020 starts, Hill averaged 17.4 fantasy points, the 13th most among QBs during that stretch. His dual-threat rushing upside makes him a more appealing fantasy option than Winston, whose ceiling would probably be capped by Hill's usage in short yardage and goal line situations. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: YouTube.com 

Jun 2, 2021, 11:54 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...