What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (4 Viewers)

I went into the Rose Bowl, the National Championship, and the combine wanting to fall in love with Mariota because Winston scares the crap out of me as a Bucs' fan. I felt disappointed every time. He threw behind a couple guys, lost one low and away, and missed at least two of his deep balls at the combine.

I noticed the happy feet and lack of pocket awareness in the two biggest games of his career. FSU wasn't prepared for Oregon's offense as a whole. He ended up having good numbers, but Mariota still didn't look great. Urban Myer had Ohio State ready for the Ducks. It was almost like a preview of what an NFL defensive scheme could do to Marcus.

I still think MM could be great because he has what it takes athletically and upstairs, but Winston is clearly the better player right now for an NFL franchise.
That's all fine and dandy.

Earlier you said, "Not that it matters, but Mariota missed several, and a few of his completions were nice plays by the WR."

Here you can watch the majority of Mariota's throws. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine-featured-participants/0ap3000000472877/2015-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Marcus-Mariota-full-workout

It's not all of them, because there was one missed pass on out throws to the right I remember Mariota missing, but please explain to me where he "missed several"? That's basically all of his throws at the combine with the exception of the out routes to the right, which include two great throws and the other one I mention which he missed. Which other "several" misses are you referring to?

Let's be honest, you didn't watch him at the combine and you're a huge Winston fan/unapologetic supporter?

Edit: It's cute how you change the topic from combine performance to the Rose Bowl and National Championship without addressing my questions.
Several is several. It's not an exact number. He missed on a couple outs, a deep ball or two, and threw an in cut down and away from the WR. At least one of his completions was behind the WR and would have been batted away or intercepted in a real game. That's just what I saw as an unbiased observer who went into the process wanting to be impressed by MM. :shrug:

You haven't been following this thread very long if you think I'm a Winston apologist. I'm an objective Buc fan and want my team to draft the best player. All I was saying is before the Rose Bowl, the National Championship, and the combine I preferred Mariota. Now I don't.

If anyone has already written off a guy like Bridgewater after that rookie season with a new coach and losing a HOF RB that tells me all I need to know about his analysis.
No better than Ponder.
Swing and a miss. He played 2014 without AP and did quite well.

Dolphins will not renew his contract when it comes time and the guy becomes a career journeyman. Wasted pick that will never take them to the playoffs.
Strike two.

:lmao: that the Dolphins will not renew his contract. It's the NFL circa 2015. There are no options other than resigning him. If your statement had even an ounce of validity to it, The Rams would have cut Sam Bradford already. He's far less proven that Tannehill and they are still hanging onto him. Is Tannehill 'elite' No, not yet. Can he be? Maybe. Are they stuck with him? Absolutely. NFL caliber QBs are not knocking on the doors of NFL teams so there is nothing better for them to turn to.

Back to Winston. He will suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has already written off a guy like Bridgewater after that rookie season with a new coach and losing a HOF RB that tells me all I need to know about his analysis.
No better than Ponder.
I guess you would have cut Peyton and Elway after their rookie seasons? What was that you said, only pick a QB in the first 5 if they are elite-elite? Maybe one year isn't long enough to determine that, huh?

Grahamburn said:
-CE- said:
Grahamburn said:
I went into the Rose Bowl, the National Championship, and the combine wanting to fall in love with Mariota because Winston scares the crap out of me as a Bucs' fan. I felt disappointed every time. He threw behind a couple guys, lost one low and away, and missed at least two of his deep balls at the combine.

I noticed the happy feet and lack of pocket awareness in the two biggest games of his career. FSU wasn't prepared for Oregon's offense as a whole. He ended up having good numbers, but Mariota still didn't look great. Urban Myer had Ohio State ready for the Ducks. It was almost like a preview of what an NFL defensive scheme could do to Marcus.

I still think MM could be great because he has what it takes athletically and upstairs, but Winston is clearly the better player right now for an NFL franchise.
That's all fine and dandy.

Earlier you said, "Not that it matters, but Mariota missed several, and a few of his completions were nice plays by the WR."

Here you can watch the majority of Mariota's throws. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine-featured-participants/0ap3000000472877/2015-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Marcus-Mariota-full-workout

It's not all of them, because there was one missed pass on out throws to the right I remember Mariota missing, but please explain to me where he "missed several"? That's basically all of his throws at the combine with the exception of the out routes to the right, which include two great throws and the other one I mention which he missed. Which other "several" misses are you referring to?

Let's be honest, you didn't watch him at the combine and you're a huge Winston fan/unapologetic supporter?

Edit: It's cute how you change the topic from combine performance to the Rose Bowl and National Championship without addressing my questions.
Several is several. It's not an exact number. He missed on a couple outs, a deep ball or two, and threw an in cut down and away from the WR. At least one of his completions was behind the WR and would have been batted away or intercepted in a real game. That's just what I saw as an unbiased observer who went into the process wanting to be impressed by MM. :shrug:

You haven't been following this thread very long if you think I'm a Winston apologist. I'm an objective Buc fan and want my team to draft the best player. All I was saying is before the Rose Bowl, the National Championship, and the combine I preferred Mariota. Now I don't.
Sorry, when you're going to say "several" and then I show you the video of him hitting all of his throws I'm going to call you out on it. The video shows all but 5 of his throws. I know he completed three of those missing five, because I watched him do it. I also cited the one missed throw on a out route, not an in route, his in route throws were all pretty good (and in the video), unless you want to talk about the one where the receiver had to dive to make the play, which was still a catchable ball.

I wanted to favor Mariota over Winston as well, but after everything was said and done I've got Winston a hair above Mariota, with both QB's capable of being NFL starters. If the Bucs draft either one of them at the 1.01, I think they'll be alright.

@IKaufmanTBO: Jimbo Fisher to NFL Network on Winston working with young FSU WRs: "They had to grow. He was playing chess, they were playing checkers.''

:coffee:

I feel like I may have said something like this before.

lod01 said:
Touchdown There said:
mr roboto said:
No better than Ponder.
Swing and a miss. He played 2014 without AP and did quite well.

Touchdown There said:
Dolphins will not renew his contract when it comes time and the guy becomes a career journeyman. Wasted pick that will never take them to the playoffs.
Strike two.

:lmao: that the Dolphins will not renew his contract. It's the NFL circa 2015. There are no options other than resigning him. If your statement had even an ounce of validity to it, The Rams would have cut Sam Bradford already. He's far less proven that Tannehill and they are still hanging onto him. Is Tannehill 'elite' No, not yet. Can he be? Maybe. Are they stuck with him? Absolutely. NFL caliber QBs are not knocking on the doors of NFL teams so there is nothing better for them to turn to.

Back to Winston. He will suck.
I took a swing but have not missed. Considering my statements were predictions of the future and the time has not come to see if my prediction is a miss, you are just expressing your opinion. Tannehill's deep ball is trash and everyone knows it. That shortens the field for defenses and makes it tough on the run game. Bridgewater is a mediocre QB on a mediocre team in a super tough division. He will find it hard after a few year of bottom finishes to find supporters.

Capella said:
In a thread full of horrible and misinformed posts, touchdown there really is stretching for the goal line.
Only a stretch to those on the bandwagon, so heat is expected. No big deal...time will tell and I have high confidence there are no elite QBs in this draft and that my stretch will score 6 for the home team.

dhockster said:
I guess you would have cut Peyton and Elway after their rookie seasons? What was that you said, only pick a QB in the first 5 if they are elite-elite? Maybe one year isn't long enough to determine that, huh?
Teams can't cut any first rounder after their rookie year, which is exactly my point about overreaching leading to 1st round QBs being a roster killer. Bridgewater will be plenty average next year and maybe even the year after. He will also get stomped in the NFC North year after year. After a few more years, fans and coaches alike in Minnesota will realize what I do right now. Don't draft an average QB in the 1st round. Wasted pick.

1. Aaron Rodgers --> Jordy
  2. Stafford --> Mega
  3. Cutler --> Marshall + Jeffery
  4. Bridgewater --> Bostick
The Pack may get some competition from the Bears or the Lions for the division, but you can rest assured the Vikings are not in the race.

dhockster said:
Teams can't cut any first rounder after their rookie year, which is exactly my point about overreaching leading to 1st round QBs being a roster killer. Bridgewater will be plenty average next year and maybe even the year after. He will also get stomped in the NFC North year after year. After a few more years, fans and coaches alike in Minnesota will realize what I do right now. Don't draft an average QB in the 1st round. Wasted pick.

1. Aaron Rodgers --> Jordy
  2. Stafford --> Mega
  3. Cutler --> Marshall + Jeffery
  4. Bridgewater --> Bostick Charles Johnson and 2015 draftpick
The Pack may get some competition from the Bears or the Lions for the division, but you can rest assured the Vikings are not in the race.
Coaching: Bears - Fox, he's horrible. Lions - Caldwell...he's a herminator, plays to lose. Packers - McCarthy, good but prone to some really dumb moves. Minn - Zimmer with Norv. Did the most with the least. As long as Norv is there, the team will contend in that division. In the last half of 2014, they almost beat GB and actually should have. they beat Chicago and the herminator squeaked by them with FGs. It's not as cut and dried as you think in that division.

So: Best since Luck. Clutch factor like Montana. Football IQ like Peyton.

No way we're setting this kid up to fail.
Reality: Delivery like Leftwich, server of INTs like Ryan Leaf, Football IQ of Josh Freeman.
1. Delivery isn't as bad as Leftwich, but you have a point in that it could be a problem. Either because it's too slow or because a team tries to change it and messes him up.

2. How about a Matt Ryan comparison here? Check out his last year in school.

3. The Josh Freeman comparison is horrible, Winston is obviously football smart regardless of the INT's.

Rotoworld:

Florida State QB Jameis Winston admitted it "has always been my dream" to play in both the NFL and MLB, but conceded he's "just playing football right now."

Winston was a two-sport star at Florida State as the quarterback and an outfielder/pitcher on the baseball squad. He was a 15th-round pick of the Texas Rangers in 2012, and some have predicted he'll be a future first-round pick. It gives NFL teams, namely the Bucs, yet another thing to think about when considering Winston. MLB players generally make more money, receive guaranteed contracts, and have longer careers. It's obviously not a concern for 2015, but something that may pop up down the line. For what it's worth, Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman has a "strong feeling" Winston will try to play baseball at some point.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Feb 25 - 12:04 PM

First it was Jamarcus Russell, then Leftwich, now Josh Freeman? Looks like we are running out of unsuccessful black quarterbacks to compare him to.

I've been increasingly positive about JW since the bad loss in the Rose Bowl. Here's where I'm at right now...

Worst Case Scenario - Bust due to stupidity off the field

Worst Case Scenario (barring off field issues) - Jay Cutler - tons of talent, attitude issues and doesn't limit mistakes/bad decision due to supreme personal confidence. Never truly bench able, never win the big one with him. QB limbo.

Mid Range Scenario (barring off field issues) - Big Ben lite. Able to elevate a decent team, could win a SB with a great team. May have a few elite seasons.

Best Case Scenario - Favre-like gunslinger with the ability to consistently put offense on his shoulders.

My prediction (barring character crash) Big Ben lite.

Can the team that drafts him not put language in the contract prohibiting him from playing baseball?

If the Bucs want him at #1 I'd ask him to sign his contract before the draft. They've been down this road before with a two sport athlete...

Can the team that drafts him not put language in the contract prohibiting him from playing baseball?

If the Bucs want him at #1 I'd ask him to sign his contract before the draft. They're been down this road before with a two sport athlete...
That's what I'd do. If TB is sure he's the guy based on his field play, ect. Start talking contract now and build it in that he can't play another sport. Of course that doesn't mean when his rookie contract is up he wouldn't press the issue and not resign with that same stipulation. Heck, he might not sign the rookie contract with that in there. The sooner you start the process, the better though.

If the Bucs want him at #1 I'd ask him to sign his contract before the draft. They're been down this road before with a two sport athlete...
That's what I'd do. If TB is sure he's the guy based on his field play, ect. Start talking contract now and build it in that he can't play another sport. Of course that doesn't mean when his rookie contract is up he wouldn't press the issue and not resign with that same stipulation. Heck, he might not sign the rookie contract with that in there. The sooner you start the process, the better though.
It's a legitimate concern. Especially when he continues to add the "right now" qualifier into his statements regarding baseball. I don't see how you can take him unless he signs a contract prohibiting him from pursuing a baseball career.

I think the qualifier is, in a way, in case this nfl thing doesn't work out.

Being way overblown. If he's a successful nfl quarterback he isn't going to go ruin that to pitch sliders for the Montgomery Biscuits. Kind of ridiculous to worry about that.

Being way overblown. If he's a successful nfl quarterback he isn't going to go ruin that to pitch sliders for the Montgomery Biscuits. Kind of ridiculous to worry about that.
Interested to get your take on my QB comps upthread.

Being a fan of the Bucs, it doesn't bother you that he might want to play baseball during the NFL off-season at some point?

Rotoworld:

The Bucs are "leaning toward" linking FSU QB Jameis Winston's off-field "problems" are due to immaturity, according to the MMQB's Peter King.
"And not because he’s a bad guy," King writes. "That leads me to believe he’s the leader in the clubhouse with the draft two months away." From an NFL perspective, there is a big difference. Teams take many prospects off their boards due to questions that they think cannot be answered or fixed. It seems every outlet is linking, or even locking, Winston in at No. 1. Until something is definite, we would not count out Marcus Mariota.

Source: The MMQB
Feb 26 - 2:02 PM

Interview with Bruce Feldman, author of The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks.

BL: The programs you explored all claim to pay attention to character, discipline, and emotional intelligence. But Jameis Winston went through Trent Dilfer’s program. Johnny Manziel is another guy said to have “dude qualities.” How much did Dilfer’s program and other programs actually care about how their quarterbacks behaved off the field?

BF: Well, I think they care. In regards to Manziel, you know, he won a Heisman Trophy by largely doing Johnny Manziel-stuff. He was never going to be Russell Wilson, who Russell Wilson is first guy in, and last guy out. That was never Johnny Manziel. Johnny Manziel’s whole thing was ‘hey, I gotta be me, that’s the only way I’m comfortable.’ And, you know, he’s learning the hard way that, you know that might not be good enough.

With Jameis Winston it’s a different dynamic. Jameis Winston has some knucklehead tendencies that he’s shown off the field. On the field, the system he plays in at Florida State, what he does, the throws he’s expected to make, are exactly what the NFL hopes to see. The only thing I think people — but it’s a big thing — people worry about with Jameis Winston is can you trust him? I mean, is he a con-man?

Interview with Bruce Feldman, author of The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks.

With Jameis Winston it’s a different dynamic. Jameis Winston has some knucklehead tendencies that he’s shown off the field. On the field, the system he plays in at Florida State, what he does, the throws he’s expected to make, are exactly what the NFL hopes to see. The only thing I think people — but it’s a big thing — people worry about with Jameis Winston is can you trust him? I mean, is he a con-man?
Well put. That is pretty much my take at this point. Looks good on the field, not sure he is not full of it.

Interested to get your take on my QB comps upthread.
I like the first two a lot. Not sure about the Favre thing. Winston seems to stay in the system more while Favre seemed to be just doing whatever he wanted sometimes.

Big Ben really is such a great comp for him. Maybe one of the most natural college to pro comps I've ever seen.

Being a fan of the Bucs, it doesn't bother you that he might want to play baseball during the NFL off-season at some point?
I honestly don't find that scenario realistic at all if he is a very successful nfl QB. Now if he is out of league after 2019 or a Mark Sanchez-level backup? Sure I could see him hitting the minors as a 25-year-old with a live arm.

It's good to have those kind of options.

PR mentioned that if Jameis comes to Tampa, the Times reporter for the Bucs is Matt Baker the dude that broke the rape story. That could be akward.

PR mentioned that if Jameis comes to Tampa, the Times reporter for the Bucs is Matt Baker the dude that broke the rape story. That could be akward.
Documentary with Jameis' rape accuser comes out today.

While The Hunting Ground isn’t all about sports, the most dramatic moment in the film occurs two-thirds of the way through when the woman who accused former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston—who after a strong showing in last week’s Combine is projected by many to be the No. 1 pick in this spring’s NFL draft—appears and tells her story publicly for the first time. The woman, who is named in the film but SI.com has chosen to protect her identity, is shown on camera and gives her life-changing account of what she says happened the night in December 2012 she left a Tallahassee bar with Winston.

A high school honor student who planned to attend medical school, the woman is articulate and attractive. She looks like the girl next door, a person you would trust to babysit your children. It is uncomfortable to watch—yet impossible to look away—when she describes being beneath Winston on his bathroom floor, repeatedly telling him “no” before being physically overpowered.

“We’re grateful it’s the first time people will get to hear [her] story,” said The Hunting Ground director Kirby ****. “It’s her first-hand testimony. Up to this point it hasn’t been in a public space.”

The woman’s parents also appear in the film. Her father talks about driving to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital with his wife to be with their daughter hours after the incident.

There is nothing easy about retelling these stories for the world to see. But the attorney for the woman who says she was raped by Winston, John Clune, said his client decided to break her silence in the film because she felt it was the right venue to tell her story.

“The film was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Clune said. “The work by these filmmakers is nothing less than groundbreaking. It took tremendous courage, but our client and all of the incredibly brave women in the film have advanced the cause of rape survivors everywhere.”

Don't think teams would really bother barking up that tree. :shrug:

If they're particularly interested in adjusting his draft value based on that stuff, they'll do independent research...assuming they haven't made up their minds on that front already. Harping on Winston isn't going to accomplish much. Once OJ said, "Nah, I didn't kill her," there wasn't much more to gain by asking him.

He can't really say much about it because she is still going to file the civil suit. 1st round is Thursday. I bet her lawyers file Friday.

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

ESPN's Todd McShay reports that Florida State QB Jameis Winston is the favorite to go No. 1 to the Bucs.

"I could see Tampa Bay going with either Winston or [Marcus] Mariota with the top pick," he adds. McShay grades Winston as the second-best QB prospect since 2000, behind only Andrew Luck. "Now obviously, it's not that simple with Winston, as his off-field behavioral issues have been well-documented," McShay wrote. "But from what I heard from NFL sources, Winston really impressed teams during interviews, handling himself well when answering questions about his past and displaying an outstanding football IQ." McShay concluded that "Winston to the Bucs is by no means a done deal," but the analyst sees the FSU signal-caller as the most logical choice "and most of the sources I talked to in Indianapolis this week seemed to share that opinion."

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 1 - 10:06 PM

Rotoworld:

Florida State QB Jameis Winston "needs to convince head coaches that he can be trusted to win games and represent the team in splendid fashion at all times," according to NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks.
The FSU prospect needs teams to buy in, that he is ready to be the face of an NFL franchise. The most-polished quarterback in the draft, has to show that he's not just ready to lead his team on the field, but convince teams he can be a leader off the field. Brooks notes that, Winston "must own up to his previous mistakes and make a compelling case to team officials that he has grown into a more mature adult."

Source: NFL.com
Mar 2 - 2:28 PM

First it was Jamarcus Russell, then Leftwich, now Josh Freeman? Looks like we are running out of unsuccessful black quarterbacks to compare him to.
It will get worse. Wait until we get closer to the season and you'll have someone compare him to a black running QB. It's coming. I remember the year Russell came out and someone did that on this board.

Not to get too homer-y about Jameis but didn't Jaws have some giant thing about kapernick being the QB he would want most going forward or something?

Basically none of these dopes, including us in that, know anything.
He also thought Russell Wilson wasn't a real Quarterback. Maybe he is looking for perfect technique, IDK how he makes these calls.
He also had Gabbert #1.

Size and arm strength.

edit: As to Winston, the guy does have funky mechanics. For me, as I try to get smarter, one thing I hope to learn is: Just what can you fix? Because Winston's legs are kind of all over the place. And he kind of sits down, or sinks his hips as he throws. It's not a classic throwing style.

Not saying funky mechanics can't work (Rivers, obviously) but a lot of times they're limiting.

Winston's comments regarding this being his first off-season without playing baseball are legitimate. Assuming he is going to be completely dedicated to football from here forward it's possible he can smooth out his mechanics if baseball isn't interfering with his motion.

The flaws most scouts see in his game, longish release and sinking of the hips, are direct results of the mechanics you have to use to be a power pitcher.

I felt like he showed some improvement there at the combine, but we'll see if he reverts to those habits once the games start.

Users who are viewing this thread