What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (4 Viewers)

From NFL.coms what we learned.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518122/article/what-we-learned-bradford-taylor-have-strong-games

"1. Jameis Winston showed plenty of promise last week against the Bengals, but Cleveland's defense created all sorts of problems for Tampa Bay's rookie quarterback. The No. 1 overall pick threw for just 21 yards over his first four drives before handing the ball to Doug Martin for a 19-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. Winston really had no chance early against a Browns defensive front that chalked up two sacks right away and saw defensive lineman Desmond Bryant dominate first-year Bucs guard Ali Marpet."

Hmm, even worse than I thought.

@PFF_Sam: Jameis Winston's QB rating under pressure vs Cleveland was 0.0. That's not very good.

Luke Easterling@LukeEasterling 26m26 minutes ago

Per @PFF, #Bucs QB Jameis Winston was pressured on 40% of his dropbacks vs. #Browns, had a QB rating of 0.0 when under pressure. Ouch.
I haven't watched this game yet but this is what I've been saying. Winston panics under pressure, and with the Tampa O-line as poor as it is, his flaws are going to stick out like a sore thumb and it'll look ugly against teams with a decent pass rush.

Luke Easterling ‏@LukeEasterling 26m26 minutes ago

Per @PFF, #Bucs QB Jameis Winston was pressured on 40% of his dropbacks vs. #Browns, had a QB rating of 0.0 when under pressure. Ouch.
I haven't watched this game yet but this is what I've been saying. Winston panics under pressure, and with the Tampa O-line as poor as it is, his flaws are going to stick out like a sore thumb and it'll look ugly against teams with a decent pass rush.
Thing is, the Browns don't really have that great of a pass rush.

Weather or not Clev ends up having a good pass rush is kind of irrelevant. They DID have a great pass rush in this preseason game. They owned TBs Oline. Any objective viewer could see that.Personally, I have Clev as my sleeper D this year. I think they are going to be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weather or not Clev ends up having a good pass rush is kind of irrelevant. They DID have a great pass rush in this preseason game. They owned TBs Oline. Any objective viewer could see that.Personally, I have Clev as my sleeper D this year. I think they are going to be very good.
I like the scheme, coaching, and while the unit lacks stars it's very deep. Still, the pass rush is far from great. An effective qb has to be a lot better than he was last night.

I like the scheme, coaching, and while the unit lacks stars it's very deep. Still, the pass rush is far from great. An effective qb has to be a lot better than he was last night.
Sure, he could have played better and I'm sure he will. He's a rookie after all. There were at least 3 times in the first few drives that he literally had no chance. Even Rodgers would have struggled to make something out of those plays. Generally, I think Winston has handled pressure pretty well. His pocket awareness is very good for a rookie. That doesn't change that he's a rookie. Your G gets beat cleanly at the snap and any QB is going to have problems.

There will be ups and downs. I'd fully expect Winston to make some ugly plays this year. That's the gunslinger in him. As long as he learns from it, his ceiling as a QB is remarkably high.

Using Winston week 1? No thanks. Whats the INT over/under?
For Titans CBs? Cmon this is a bottom 5 defensive unit. Maybe even worse than the Cards defense Cam put up 422 yards/3TDs against in week 1 his rookie year.

I'll go out on a limb and say Winston puts up 300 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT and a fumble week 1.

Sounds like excuses.
Troll on man
Stop defending a terrible game. Is the he's a rookie and can improve narrative legit? Sure. Don't spin last night though.

First time he's faced a 3-4. That surely made a difference in the protections for his young line. I wouldn't crown the Cleveland D just yet.

Winston handles "pressure" just fine. No QB handles in your face jail breaks before you hit your drop.

Marpet is a rookie from Division III. He's been whipped two weeks in a row. Dotson is hurt. Cherilus was just signed off the street last week. Dotson is hurt. Smith is a rookie starting at left tackle. Dotson is hurt. Pamphile and Edwards are second year players. Dotson... I don't think the actual starting line has played together yet in a game? This line is going to take some time to gel.

If they get it together Winston will pick people apart. At least the organization finally acknowledged it has been a problem for years and addressed it with draft picks.

I'm glad the Bucs finally have a QB with some swagger. They've never had one. So what if he throws a few picks? I'm sick of these pansies with no guts throwing a 5 yard check-down on 3rd and 12.

Winston handles "pressure" just fine. No QB handles in your face jail breaks before you hit your drop.

Marpet is a rookie from Division III. He's been whipped two weeks in a row. Dotson is hurt. Cherilus was just signed off the street last week. Dotson is hurt. Smith is a rookie starting at left tackle. Dotson is hurt. Pamphile and Edwards are second year players. Dotson... I don't think the actual starting line has played together yet in a game? This line is going to take some time to gel.

If they get it together Winston will pick people apart. At least the organization finally acknowledged it has been a problem for years and addressed it with draft picks.

I'm glad the Bucs finally have a QB with some swagger. They've never had one. So what if he throws a few picks? I'm sick of these pansies with no guts throwing a 5 yard check-down on 3rd and 12.
Amen man.

Looking at a few SOS pages, TB faces some pretty easy Ds to get the oline and offense sorted out. What would be their toughest D Line opponent? Carolina?

karmarooster said:
Manster said:
Using Winston week 1? No thanks. Whats the INT over/under?
For Titans CBs? Cmon this is a bottom 5 defensive unit. Maybe even worse than the Cards defense Cam put up 422 yards/3TDs against in week 1 his rookie year.

I'll go out on a limb and say Winston puts up 300 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT and a fumble week 1.
It could happen, but I think it's a disaster waiting to happen to start ANY rookie QB his first week. He's going to see a real NFL defense for the first time in his entire life. Cam Newton was awesome, so it can work out, I guess.

But Luck and Manning both threw three picks their first time out. There've got to be better week one plays, even if you're a staunch Winston believer.

jurb26 said:
MAC_32 said:
addicted2ff said:
Bracie Smathers said:

I'll point out a three things for anyone trying to get a bead on Jamies in regards to the Tampa/Cleveland game.

- The announcers pointed out it was the first time that Winston had ever faced a 3-4 defense

He's a rookie and he looked confused before factoring in that DC Jim O'Neil and HC Mike Pettine were dialing up some awesome blitz's

- The Tampa Bay offense line is bad

Don't have anything to add other than to reiterate that the Tampa Bay offensive line is really bad

- The Browns defense not only 'might' be 'pretty good'

To back up the last point.

- In the Tampa game it was the first time this preseason that Pro Bowl CB Joe Haden and Pro Bowl FS Tashon Gibson played. Last year the Browns pass defense ranked top-three. The secondary got a boost from FA CB Tramon Williams.

- The run defense was dead last in 2015 but it looks vastly improved. Additions, FA DE/DT Randy Starks, 1st round rookie NT Danny Shelton who looks very-good, back from injured reserve the #3 rated run defender from 2013 DE John Hughes who got a contract extension and he looks good.

- The pass rush also ranked low 28th but if the run defense improves it will game script more third and long situations and the team did add to the pass rush. First, it gets injured DE Armonty Bryant back and has switched him to a pass rushing OLB role. Second, it drafted the national sack leader Nate Orchard in the 2nd round. Third it selected pass rushing DT Xavier Cooper in the 3rd round (he already has 3 sacks in 3 preseason games to provide an inside push). Fourth, the secondary added depth in the draft and with the signing of Tramon it looks even better which allows the coaches to dial up more blitz packages.

So anyone trying to figure out where Jamies is based on the Cleveland game, I would say focus-in on the next game where he faces a 3-4 defense and look for an improvement in recognizing where pressure is coming from. He looked lost the first time he faced a 3-4 so look for improvements because he's supposed to be a very-sharp kid.

Grahamburn said:

But how about Dotson? You need to factor him into this analysis more. :D

Grahamburn said:

But how about Dotson? You need to factor him into this analysis more. :D
He's not an all pro or anything, but when the line is this bad it's a point of emphasis when the best player goes down. He will be a nice addition in a few weeks and the line could gel in the last part of the season if they can avoid any more injuries.

The rookies they drafted aren't ready.

Looking at a few SOS pages, TB faces some pretty easy Ds to get the oline and offense sorted out. What would be their toughest D Line opponent? Carolina?
Houston's defensive line will be pretty good. And it is a 3-4 which is what he struggled with against Cleveland.

Jamarcus Rusell 2.0 He looked absolutely horrible. They are going to kick themselves in the ### for not taking Mariota. Anytime you can take a quality character guy over a low character guy, if skillset is close, you take the good person. When will GMs learn this?

Interesting discussion on the Audible using Winston Week 1 against the Titans. Throwback to Cam Newton's first game of 400 yards?
How deep of a league would you need to be in to consider starting Winston in Week 1? That's not a knock on Winston, I'd say the same about Mariotta. Why take the risk of starting a rookie QB on opening day? You surely drafted another QB before you took Winston.

Interesting discussion on the Audible using Winston Week 1 against the Titans. Throwback to Cam Newton's first game of 400 yards?
How deep of a league would you need to be in to consider starting Winston in Week 1? That's not a knock on Winston, I'd say the same about Mariotta. Why take the risk of starting a rookie QB on opening day? You surely drafted another QB before you took Winston.
32 team league.

Jamarcus Rusell 2.0 He looked absolutely horrible. They are going to kick themselves in the ### for not taking Mariota. Anytime you can take a quality character guy over a low character guy, if skillset is close, you take the good person. When will GMs learn this?
Every great team has some great scumbags on their roster.

And can we stop with the Jamarcus Russell thing? So lazy.

I keep seeing the statement that it was the first time he'd ever faced a 3-4 defense. There's no way that's possible, surely he played against them in high school and college, right?

EJ Manuel then? Christian Ponder? How many QBs do we want to talk about that were made into first round QBs running Jimbo's scheme?

that's my impression. Big. Has all the tools. Major bone head. We shall see. I'll be shocked if he's ever anything more than average. I just don't see it.

It wasn't close at all.

It wasn't close at all.
stay tuned. I can't think of a troublemaking low character quarterback that ever turned it around and became a good leader. It might work at wide receiver. Not at QB. And he doesn't look all that skilled either.

It wasn't close at all.
stay tuned. I can't think of a troublemaking low character quarterback that ever turned it around and became a good leader. It might work at wide receiver. Not at QB. And he doesn't look all that skilled either.
So he's low character, dumb, and not talented?

Users who are viewing this thread