What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (4 Viewers)

Let Winston and TB know. I'm certain that they are so concerned about your FF team that'll they'll change and take the L just for you. 
Relax. I understand they don't play for fantasy points.  I can be bitter for fantasy reasons while understanding what they do on a professional level for the betterment of their team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone who saw the game shed light on Winston and the Bucs inability to score against a New Orleans D that usually gives up 30 points a game??? Thanks.
Tampa's defense is dominating.  It was also pouring rain in the second half, so the Bucs were content to run the ball and only make high percentage throws.  It's difficult to throw the ball down the field when it's soaking wet.  There was no reason for them to push the issue.  Jameis played turnover free mistake free football again and made a few clutch throws late for first downs when he needed to.

It sucks if you started him, but #### your fantasy team.  The Bucs have won five in a row!  :P

Tampa's defense is dominating.  It was also pouring rain in the second half, so the Bucs were content to run the ball and only make high percentage throws.  It's difficult to throw the ball down the field when it's soaking wet.  There was no reason for them to push the issue.  Jameis played turnover free mistake free football again and made a few clutch throws late for first downs when he needed to.

It sucks if you started him, but #### your fantasy team.  The Bucs have won five in a row!  :P
I'm still alive for the playoffs despite starting Winston over Brady this week. Good to know for next week that weather and game script were factors.

It seemed like an unlucky game, from what I can gather. They jumped out to an early lead with Martin getting the TD. You expected the shootout, but NO never challenged to make TB pass the ball. I didn't get to watch the game, but from following it online that seemed rather fluky. I saw NO at the 1-yard line near the end of the first half and settle for a FG. Then in the second half I saw Cooks get a 4-yard TD catch called back, and it becomes another FG. Then the rain comes and TB just has to hold on. Though I also did see a number of missed pass attempts to Evans. I started both of them, yet somehow won.

First time in 56 college or pro games he hasn't accounted for a TD.

Bummer for fantasy that they won this game in this manner, but a strong young QB on an ascending team, that's where you want to be.

Hopefully everyone that started Wintson went up against one of the other struggling QBs this week.  This was not a very good week for QBs.

Unfortuntely, I went against Ryan but ATL D helped me out.
Ryan's game wasn't even all that spectacular.  He had a good score but it was basically his average.  Not one QB had a great game so far.  Usually there is at least one QB that puts up 30 points.  Ryan still scored more than everyone else though so he still had a major advantage there.

Clearly his team did not make it far into the post season this year.  Bitter much?  Lol
Might be hard to believe, but a lot of people actually care more about the NFL team they're a fan of rather than their fantasy squads.

I thought Winston was fine this game. He was really just asked to be a game manager and he did that well by not turning the ball over.

Going forward, I am not sure I am as high on Jameis as I was a few weeks ago (from a fantasy perspective). The defense has turned a complete 360 and is playing lights out right now, which takes a ton of pressure off of Jameis and doesn't have him getting into constant shootouts. Combine that with Dirk continuing to be ultra conservative and Mike Evans and Cam Brate being the only legit NFL players for Jameis to throw to, and I'm not sure Jameis is gonna have another monster game this year (from a fantasy perspective).

Might be hard to believe, but a lot of people actually care more about the NFL team they're a fan of rather than their fantasy squads.

I thought Winston was fine this game. He was really just asked to be a game manager and he did that well by not turning the ball over.

Going forward, I am not sure I am as high on Jameis as I was a few weeks ago (from a fantasy perspective). The defense has turned a complete 360 and is playing lights out right now, which takes a ton of pressure off of Jameis and doesn't have him getting into constant shootouts. Combine that with Dirk continuing to be ultra conservative and Mike Evans and Cam Brate being the only legit NFL players for Jameis to throw to, and I'm not sure Jameis is gonna have another monster game this year (from a fantasy perspective).
Starting Mariota over him this week. I'm throwing last week out for both QBs, but MM has been putting together bigger fantasy numbers for the past month or so. Jameis has been fine, but I agree his ceiling appears to be capped.

Starting Mariota over him this week. I'm throwing last week out for both QBs, but MM has been putting together bigger fantasy numbers for the past month or so. Jameis has been fine, but I agree his ceiling appears to be capped.
I guess if you're looking for the guy with the highest ceiling I would start Mariota, but honestly, I would probably start Winston over him. Mariota has a tough matchup against KC and it's supposed to be very cold for that game. I doubt Mariota has much experience playing in sub 10 degree weather and he really hasn't done much against good defenses all year anyways. Sure, he has been great the past 2 months, but look at the defenses he faced in that stretch. San Diego was probably the best of the bunch, which is pretty pathetic. I don't think the Bucs will have the luxury of being up all game like they have been the past few weeks expect San Diego, so I think Jameis might actually be good for 15-18 points.

Debating bw Winston and flacco vs phi now.  Winston has been a great real life qb and a very lackluster fantasy qb as of late. 

Tb defense is now awesome.  He doesn't need to do much to win anymore.  Combine that with Dallas dominating time of possession, and I think we are looking at a low scoring grind it out affair.  I could be wrong. But that's why I'm seeing.  

Flacco comes with risk too as, well, he's flacco, and the ravens d can easily shut down philly and flacco could just be handing the ball off for the entire 2nd half to run out the clock.  

Driving me CRAZY in a win or go home situation.  

The Cowboys are great against the run and Elliott can run on anyone. The Cowboys will score a lot at home and in order to keep up, Winston will have to sling it. He is good for 2 and thats good enough for me. He wont have 2 games in a row of 0 TDs after going every other game in his career with one, will he? Evans has not blown up in a few games, it comes in the spotlight this week. Just my guess. Just because they beat New Orleans in a low scoring game at home in the elements, does not mean they will do the same thing on the road in a dome. They need to score a lot to win.

He'll have Humphries back this week.  That hurt him last week.  Jameis didn't seem to have much timing with Huff yet. 

Sims with another week under his belt will help on 3rd down, screens, etc.  Jameis hit him with a nice deep ball down the sideline early against NO and he just missed getting two feet down.  Their timing should be better.  Tampa's offense is getting closer to full strength now.  Sims is such an underrated weapon in the passing game.  His absence has really hurt them.

Having these other options then obviously opens up some room for Evans. 

I think you'll see more deep shots in this game too.  It was raining like crazy last week.  That's why his numbers weren't good.

I'll go ahead and predict a monster game for Jameis.  275+ and 3 scores.  Tampa's suddenly dominant defense slows Zeke down and makes Dak look like the rookie he is.  Tampa wins and Jameis moves to the front of the line in the MVP discussion. :homer:

I guess if you're looking for the guy with the highest ceiling I would start Mariota, but honestly, I would probably start Winston over him. Mariota has a tough matchup against KC and it's supposed to be very cold for that game.
I get that the cold is a concern, but I think people are overstating the match-up. KC has a good IRL D, but in my league they are decidedly middle-of-the-pack in FFPA to QBs. I thought maybe that was a function of not having Houston for most of the year, but looking at their game-by-game log, they've basically given up useful fantasy production to every QB they've faced other than Carr, Osweiler and Fitz.

Bringing this back to Jameis, Dallas is very similar (in my league, KC is 15th, Dallas is 17th). They've also only shut down a few QBs this year (Rodgers, Wentz and Eli, with middling games for Gabbert, Kessler, Flacco and Bradford).

Generally speaking (and I'm trying to generalize this because I recognize that others may not be facing the same decision between JW and MM), when deciding between two options I look to match-up, exogenous factors (weather, injuries) and recent performance. If match-up is pretty much a wash then to me it comes down to weather (advantage Jameis), injuries (no major ones that I'm aware of) and recent performance (advantage Mariota).

All that said, I don't think Jameis is a bad option this week, and I could definitely see him having a decent game. You may be right that it basically comes down to floor vs. ceiling.

Since I got no love in the Kicker thread, I'll try here where I know Bucs experts abound.  FBG's had Aguayo ranked #1 last week, which surprised me.  They also had some comments about him finally coming around.  Not sold on that yet but what I am sold on is him getting a lot of opportunities in domes playing against so-so D's these next two very important weeks.

FBG's now ranks him way down the list.  Dallas ball control and/or playing from behind are the reasons I guess but I think the surging Bucs keep it interesting.  Lines-makers see a fair amount of points as well.

Thoughts?  Is Roberto getting more chances now?  Will they go for kicks in the 50's?

Koetter said it was outside his range at 52 last week, so I doubt you will see anything past 50 unless the game is out of hand or something. 

I have no idea why any ranking would be that high on him. He super sucks. 

Thanks.  Yeah, two of Dodds, Maurile and Bloom had him #1 overall.  Couldn't believe it.  Now he's back in the cellar.  I also remember a FBG writeup saying he was finally putting it together or some ####.  Whatever, I'll go grab Chandler.  The Saints give up the 3rd most to kickers, for those that care about that stuff.  Total is high at over 50, which I do pay some attention to.

He did have a few good weeks spun together about 3-4 weeks ago. Won kicker of the week or whatever against KC. Started botching kicks after that though. 

So you get no help in a kicker thread, so you come to a thread that has nothing to do with kickers?
Forget you are asking help about kickers in a thread you shouldnt be, you are asking about the TB kicker?
Perhaps you should not be stressing over a kicker, it makes you look as funny as it does asking for kicker help in a thread you shouldnt me.

Back to a player who matters please in Winston.
What do we see as a realistic projection?
Note to self: If I ever seek advice for a kicker, that is the day I need to quit this game.

So you get no help in a kicker thread, so you come to a thread that has nothing to do with kickers?
Forget you are asking help about kickers in a thread you shouldnt be, you are asking about the TB kicker?
Perhaps you should not be stressing over a kicker, it makes you look as funny as it does asking for kicker help in a thread you shouldnt me.

Back to a player who matters please in Winston.
What do we see as a realistic projection?
Note to self: If I ever seek advice for a kicker, that is the day I need to quit this game.
Hoping for 250 and 2.

I think I'm just going to leave Winston in and enjoy Sunday night football.  That will pretty much decide my fantasy fate tomorrow Night.  I'll either have made the right choice and I'll be moving to the finals or be kicking myself for leaving flacco on the bench. 

Winston's stats have been down lately as TB has gone with a more ball control conservative game plan. I think the reason for this is because if Winston's lack of pass catchers to throw to. I'm leaving him on the bench this week in favor of either Flacco or Kap. If Winston would have had a good game against NO then I might have started him against tomorrow but Dallas wants to run the ball and eat up clock thus lowering the number of possessions TB will have as well. 

Winston's stats have been down lately as TB has gone with a more ball control conservative game plan. I think the reason for this is because if Winston's lack of pass catchers to throw to. I'm leaving him on the bench this week in favor of either Flacco or Kap. If Winston would have had a good game against NO then I might have started him against tomorrow but Dallas wants to run the ball and eat up clock thus lowering the number of possessions TB will have as well. 
Damn you for making me rethink my decision to leave Winston in my lineup over flacco!  Damn you to hell!  Lol. 

Kidding obviously.  Heaven.  Only heaven for you!!  

Humphries is back after a week off, and Sims came back last week after a few months off...which helps.

I may be the lone one here, but what does last week have to do with this week?
What he did last week has nothing to do with this week, Con.

Damn you for making me rethink my decision to leave Winston in my lineup over flacco!  Damn you to hell!  Lol. 

Kidding obviously.  Heaven.  Only heaven for you!!  
I dropped Winston and picked up Flacco this past week. We'll see how that plays out.

I dropped Winston and picked up Flacco this past week. We'll see how that plays out.
You guys are all going to think I'm nuts but I had flacco in over Winston.  Then I thought it through, and I think flacco is going to underwhelm this week.  Simply BC he won't need to do much to win. Philly offense is horrible and Balt d is elite.  Flacco might be looking at 240 and 1-2tds tops.  They might jut spend the entire 2nd half running out the clock 

picked up Alex smith and really considering playing him at home vs tenn instead. I just puked in my mouth writing this.   

rickyg said:
You guys are all going to think I'm nuts but I had flacco in over Winston.  Then I thought it through, and I think flacco is going to underwhelm this week.  Simply BC he won't need to do much to win. Philly offense is horrible and Balt d is elite.  Flacco might be looking at 240 and 1-2tds tops.  They might jut spend the entire 2nd half running out the clock 

picked up Alex smith and really considering playing him at home vs tenn instead. I just puked in my mouth writing this.   
I don't think you're nuts. I think all these options pretty much suck. Dartboard time.

So I think I'm gonna start him over Tyrod in both of my leagues. Don't feel great about it as I think both teams will try to grind with the run game and chew up a lot of clock, but Dallas' D doesn't scare me much and I'm hoping he can get a TD or two. Doubt he goes 2 straight weeks without a TD after having at least 1 in every game before last week.

Jameis looks fantastic tonight vs Dallas.   Throwing lasers all over the field.  Confident.  Couple of bonehead plays but man his arrow pointing up.  

Jameis looks fantastic tonight vs Dallas.   Throwing lasers all over the field.  Confident.  Couple of bonehead plays but man his arrow pointing up.  
We must be watching two different games.  He regularly (and I repeat regularly) sails the ball to wide open WRs.  Should have hit Evan in stride on that one for a 75 yard TD bomb. His accuracy and overthrows are so bad.

We must be watching two different games.  He regularly (and I repeat regularly) sails the ball to wide open WRs.  Should have hit Evan in stride on that one for a 75 yard TD bomb. His accuracy and overthrows are so bad.
Agreed. Throw in the headbutt that cost them a chance for 7 at the end of the first half and then standing back there for 42 seconds and getting sacked in the last minute, and this was not a great night for Winston.  There's a lot to like, but he still has a long way to go. 

Up and down performance. Missing Evans for that bomb on 3rd and 18 was inexcusable, you need to give him a chance to make a play there. The o-line, specifically Cherilus, did him zero favors. 

Well, that Prescott fellow was pretty good, 
I know you're just trolling, but tonight's game showed us how much o-line can impact QB play. Dak had all day to throw, while Winston was running for his life most of the game.

Not sure if this statline is accurate, but I read on a Bucs board that David Irving had 9 hurries, 5 QB hits, 2 sacks and a deflected pass in the second half alone. That stateliness would be crazy for an entire game, let alone just 1 half. I'm sure all of those numbers are more than the entire Bucs D had all game.

I know you're just trolling, but tonight's game showed us how much o-line can impact QB play. Dak had all day to throw, while Winston was running for his life most of the game.

Not sure if this statline is accurate, but I read on a Bucs board that David Irving had 9 hurries, 5 QB hits, 2 sacks and a deflected pass in the second half alone. That stateliness would be crazy for an entire game, let alone just 1 half. I'm sure all of those numbers are more than the entire Bucs D had all game.
He may be something in the other games this season, but other than the one drive, he was an absolute bum, tonight.

My opinion has nothing to do with Mike Evans not getting enough Points to get me in the finals. 

Dak outplayed Jameis......the Cowboys shoulda won by multiple TD's, but drive killing penalties kept it close.....I'm talkin to you Doug Free.

Users who are viewing this thread