What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (6 Viewers)

No need for a link.  Great guy.  Easily one of the best posters on this site.  Just let it go.
You said he's done it before.  I haven't heard of it so I just asked you to provide a link where he's played the race card.  If there is one I'll acknowledge what you said as a possible reaction by Winston.

3 years? Or should we give him 4?  The players around him, they all agree, he will get it done.
I'd certainly give him the 5 years he's signed for.  He'll be all of 26.  He's every bit as good as Stafford.  Dalton.  Rivers.  Cousins.  Mariota.  Flacco.  He's in the top half of NFL QB's.  I don't even think that's really debatable.  Those guys hang around the NFL for a long time.  When he's at the end of his deal if Tampa decides to move on he's going to get a monster contract from another team.  No doubt in my mind.  And he'll probably go on to be extremely successful for whatever franchise hangs on to him.

The narrative in here is that's he's some kind of bust, which in my mind is ludicrous. 

You said he's done it before.  I haven't heard of it so I just asked you to provide a link where he's played the race card.  If there is one I'll acknowledge what you said as a possible reaction by Winston.
No need. It was one of those things where two people got confused and it was total message board crap.  It doesn't matter, Capella is a good guy.

I'd certainly give him the 5 years he's signed for.  He'll be all of 26.  He's every bit as good as Stafford.  Dalton.  Rivers.  Cousins.  Mariota.  Flacco.  He's in the top half of NFL QB's.  I don't even think that's really debatable.  Those guys hang around the NFL for a long time.  When he's at the end of his deal if Tampa decides to move on he's going to get a monster contract from another team.  No doubt in my mind.  And he'll probably go on to be extremely successful for whatever franchise hangs on to him.

The narrative in here is that's he's some kind of bust, which in my mind is ludicrous. 
He's definitely not as good as Stafford or Rivers, at least so far. He's too turnover prone and too inaccurate. 

Bronco Billy and Capella are on top of this.  Winston is a stud, no matter what anybody might think.  We have excuses, like all good lawyers do.  Jameis is a monster and just needs more time and players and coaches.

It’s always enjoyable to watch people use the cheap tactic of putting a person into a position they haven't put forth and then using that false position to denegrate them.  Have your fun.

It’s always enjoyable to watch people use the cheap tactic of putting a person into a position they haven't put forth and then using that false position to denegrate them.  Have your fun.
Nuts.  Love you BB, but that was nuts.  Read it back again.

He's definitely not as good as Stafford or Rivers, at least so far. He's too turnover prone and too inaccurate. 
Comparing them as they are now, no, maybe not.  But in their first two years in the league?  Yeah, Jameis is better than they were.  Stafford threw 13 TD's and 20 INT's his rookie season.  Barely played his second season.  It all clicked in his 3rd year, but he hasn't come anywhere close to that level of play since. Stafford's Lions went 4-12 in his fourth season and his TD:INT ration was 20:17 and he had Calvin Johnson.  I don't remember anyone calling for his head or screaming bust after that year?  Rivers' record was certainly better than Jameis' in his first two years, but his numbers weren't and he had LaDanian Tomlinson to hand the ball to.

It's just extremely premature to write this kid off.

Pass.  You’re clearly fishing and quite frankly you just aren’t worth it wasting more time and effort on.  Have a great day.
I can agree to an extent. Having fun here. But do you really think Jameis Winston is a good QB?  Yes or no? Take a stand.

JohnnyU said:
I thought 4000+ yds and 28 tds just one year ago proves he's a good QB.
You'd think so.  Or at least a capable one.  The additions of O.J. Howard and DeSean Jackson coupled with Hard Knocks blew the expectations through the roof for Winston and the Bucs.  They've clearly underachieved.   

You'd think so.  Or at least a capable one.  The additions of O.J. Howard and DeSean Jackson coupled with Hard Knocks blew the expectations through the roof for Winston and the Bucs.  They've clearly underachieved.   
Yes, JW has underachieved but that doesn't mean he isn't a good QB one year removed from a great year.

Say what?  Please explain what I said was wrong.
Keep it on the topic of Football.

Not

Great call.  Diversion tactic.  That stuff is elementary school tactics, is it not?
Nuts.  Love you BB, but that was nuts.  Read it back again.
This is starting to get close to the Tiger Woods thread over in the FFA. The one where the guy / lawyer won't let it go, no matter what.  Even though it's schtick. It's all inconceivable, but fantastic nonetheless.
Thanks. 

Fair enough.  Sorry.  BTW, Lod kind of killed it in here, is he also being monitored or no?
By killing it, you must mean by being correct in my assessment.

I simply state facts regarding his play. It's horrible. He is a massive turnover machine. He can't read a defense to save his life. Can't throw an accurate deep pass. He throws more horrible passes than anyone not named Brock. If the defensive players could actually catch, his TOs would be double. "I think Jameis throws way too many interceptions," Mayock said on the show. "Obviously, he has the ability to close games. ... He was at his best when the best was needed and I give him credit for that. But he threw (a combined) seven interceptions vs. Louisville and Florida, and it could have been 14 if the other team could catch the ball. He throws the ball up for grabs, in my opinion, way too often. That's my big issue with him on the field." That was in college and it's a lot tougher in the NFL and he's no different.
All you have to do is read reports on this guy. They have come around to how awful he really is. The franchise is on pace to do exactly what the Texans did with Carr and that is blame everyone else until there is no one left to blame. THEN you get rid of the real problem.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/3/16730254/jameis-winstons-bad-decision-fumble-touchdown-packers
https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/10/29/16567618/panthers-vs-buccaneers-final-score-jameis-winston-throws-away-the-game
https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-jameis-winston-went-darkhorse-mvp-candidate-massive-disappointment-170958454.html

Then there's this one. Sure he put up 4k yards his rookie season and the next season. Yards don't win games. Turnovers help you lose games.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/progress-from-jameis-winston-is-all-that-stands-in-the-way-of-a-buccaneers-title-run/
Winston's numbers were still bad. In 2015, Winston's adjusted completion percentage was a league-low 69.2. In 2016, Winston posted an adjusted completion percentage of 69.1, which ranked 26th of 29 qualified passers. 

At least he's consistently inconsistent.

Now when others rip my correct analysis, sure I defend myself.

Monitored? I'm being told on constantly. It's really sad but it is what it is.

Start Winston vs. ATL.

Winston is has been terrible this year.. Watching the game last week I literally cringed on several plays. He just looks awkward and lost at times and those times usually result in a turnover. That's not to say he doesn't look good at times also but there's just very little consistency to his game. 

However being bad in real life doesn't always equate to being bad in fantasy (see 2015 Blake Bortles). Since returning from his shoulder injury Winston has finished as the QB5 and the QB12 respectively. Last year vs. ATL he put up lines of 281/4/1 and 261/3/0. ATL is -6 so Winston will likely be doing a healthy amount of throwing.

I doubt many playoff teams are even entertaining starting him but once you move past the top 6 or so options you can make a very good case for him this week.

Start Winston vs. ATL.

Winston is has been terrible this year.. Watching the game last week I literally cringed on several plays. He just looks awkward and lost at times and those times usually result in a turnover. That's not to say he doesn't look good at times also but there's just very little consistency to his game. 

However being bad in real life doesn't always equate to being bad in fantasy (see 2015 Blake Bortles). Since returning from his shoulder injury Winston has finished as the QB5 and the QB12 respectively. Last year vs. ATL he put up lines of 281/4/1 and 261/3/0. ATL is -6 so Winston will likely be doing a healthy amount of throwing.

I doubt many playoff teams are even entertaining starting him but once you move past the top 6 or so options you can make a very good case for him this week.
Thanks for last year's numbers. Have to choose between Winston and Mariota (oy).

Thanks for last year's numbers. Have to choose between Winston and Mariota (oy).
I trust Mariota less than Winston, he's playing worse IMO. And if Mariota can't scramble forget about it. In 4 games Winston has averaged 22.35ppg (Yahoo leagues) vs. ATL. It probably won't be pretty but I think he does well vs. ATL. 

By killing it, you must mean by being correct in my assessment.

I simply state facts regarding his play. It's horrible. He is a massive turnover machine. He can't read a defense to save his life. Can't throw an accurate deep pass. He throws more horrible passes than anyone not named Brock. If the defensive players could actually catch, his TOs would be double. "I think Jameis throws way too many interceptions," Mayock said on the show. "Obviously, he has the ability to close games. ... He was at his best when the best was needed and I give him credit for that. But he threw (a combined) seven interceptions vs. Louisville and Florida, and it could have been 14 if the other team could catch the ball. He throws the ball up for grabs, in my opinion, way too often. That's my big issue with him on the field." That was in college and it's a lot tougher in the NFL and he's no different.
All you have to do is read reports on this guy. They have come around to how awful he really is. The franchise is on pace to do exactly what the Texans did with Carr and that is blame everyone else until there is no one left to blame. THEN you get rid of the real problem.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/3/16730254/jameis-winstons-bad-decision-fumble-touchdown-packers
https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/10/29/16567618/panthers-vs-buccaneers-final-score-jameis-winston-throws-away-the-game
https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-jameis-winston-went-darkhorse-mvp-candidate-massive-disappointment-170958454.html

Then there's this one. Sure he put up 4k yards his rookie season and the next season. Yards don't win games. Turnovers help you lose games.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/progress-from-jameis-winston-is-all-that-stands-in-the-way-of-a-buccaneers-title-run/
Winston's numbers were still bad. In 2015, Winston's adjusted completion percentage was a league-low 69.2. In 2016, Winston posted an adjusted completion percentage of 69.1, which ranked 26th of 29 qualified passers. 

At least he's consistently inconsistent.

Now when others rip my correct analysis, sure I defend myself.

Monitored? I'm being told on constantly. It's really sad but it is what it is.
Killing it is a good thing, it was a compliment.

I don't know anything about what the Bucs might do in the draft.  But some guy here at the bar is saying if they get a shot at one of the top QBs, they'll do it and try to trade Jameis and blah, blah, blah.  Is that even a remote possibility?  I'm not buying it.  Anyway, I know one of you guys will know the answer.  What are the likely to do?  Thanks.

I just want to mention that right now he's setting a career high in completion pct, QB rating, and TD/INT ratio and is just off his career high of yards per attempt.  

I don't know anything about what the Bucs might do in the draft.  But some guy here at the bar is saying if they get a shot at one of the top QBs, they'll do it and try to trade Jameis and blah, blah, blah.  Is that even a remote possibility?  I'm not buying it.  Anyway, I know one of you guys will know the answer.  What are the likely to do?  Thanks.
Um, no.  Tell that guy to have another one.

Winston has some work to do, but the Bucaneers will attempt to find the right head coach to get the best out of Winston before they trade him away.

Just reading all of this. Incredibly weird last page of posts by that guy. Wow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Start Winston vs. ATL.

However being bad in real life doesn't always equate to being bad in fantasy (see 2015 Blake Bortles). Since returning from his shoulder injury Winston has finished as the QB5 and the QB12 respectively. Last year vs. ATL he put up lines of 281/4/1 and 261/3/0. ATL is -6 so Winston will likely be doing a healthy amount of throwing.

:grad:

Historical data has always been the best indicator for me. It's why I sat Rivers despite his recent play and started Winston despite his recent play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you watch?
I sorta has the impression the whole Team appeared somewhat more motivated than games I've watched. I'm not implying questions on Winston. It's just that the best QB's always appear to be giving 110% effort. The type play that motivates other players to give it their all.. Argument could be raised that just the opposite occurred in this one game.

Up to #15 for PFF for the year, and now in the category "above-average", which before you comment, weighs his score not his rank. 

Up to #15 for PFF for the year, and now in the category "above-average", which before you comment, weighs his score not his rank. 
Big bust for me this year, honestly. Keenum's been better for me while Winston was out, Newton lots better. 

I'm sorry you're a homer, but drafting Winston for FF has been a pretty shaky proposition. If I didn't draft Bell and Elliott, I'm not in the championship game.  

If we're talking pure football, I'm a believer.  

He's been inconsistent.  Nobody would argue that.  We can make a million excuses.  Last night showed what he's capable of. 

The guy actually played under control and didn't do anything stupid. I'm thinking they slipped him a double dose of ADHD medicine. First time I've seen him play where his eyes weren't bugging out of his head. Should be an entertaining 2018 coming. We will see if he can eat some Ws. 

Lost Rodgers again so now I'm deciding btw Winston and Cousins vs Denver.  

Hate both matchups tbh, I'm the favorite so I don't need a huge ceiling, just really need a solid floor.  Cousins has been more consistent overall but the offense has looked shaky the last month.

probably rolling out Jameis today but will change my mind many more times this week I think.

He "scored" 3 pts against CAR earlier this year. What are people expecting this coming week?
I would think he will best his stats from his last game vs CAR but that’s not saying much. And I say that with the caveat he has someone besides Evans to throw to. Jackson and Howard both left last night with injury and Brate was injured, too, though came back in the game and made some plays. I don’t know...250/1 maybe? 

He came through for me to get to the ‘ship but I may look to go another direction this weekend. 

If we use the reasoning posted above, not sure where, and go of recent history his best outcome would vs Car was 200/1 or close to it.

the oline seemed to hold up better vs Atlanta 

OJ Howard on IR and I think Djax will end up there as well. Gonna have less options than usual. I would expect a motivated Carolina team to dominate this week. 

Tampa is pretty much decimated at this point. Monday night was their last hurrah this year. 

Theyre going to get their doors blown off these next two weeks. 

Users who are viewing this thread