Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Jameis Winston, NO


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

Not in stats, but the team doesn't care about that. Will Dalton put them in bad positions that require slinging it like crazy in the second half? Will he make the wrong throw at exactly the wrong time? Will he turn it over nearly three dozen times?

Dalton won't make the Bucs a more explosive team, or more fun to watch. But he just might make them a better team. 

It doesn't really matter if you have a Dalton or a Winston. But some needy team will sign him and pay him a lot of money for brief moments of brilliance surrounded by long stretches of suckiness. Teams do this all the time with coaching retreads too. See Jets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, rockaction said:

I have Godwin in dynasty now, so I hope so. 

At first glance, I thought losing Winston would bring Godwin's stock down.  But consider this - if Godwin can have a 71.1% catch percentage with a guy who throws at a 60.7% rate, could he approach Michael Thomas levels with an accurate QB?  How many WR's are 10% higher than their QB?  The list is quite small, and if we are talking about fantasy relevant guys, you can count them on one hand.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheWinz said:

At first glance, I thought losing Winston would bring Godwin's stock down.  But consider this - if Godwin can have a 71.1% catch percentage with a guy who throws at a 60.7% rate, could he approach Michael Thomas levels with an accurate QB?  How many WR's are 10% higher than their QB?  The list is quite small, and if we are talking about fantasy relevant guys, you can count them on one hand.

 I guess if you're going to drill down the numbers, that makes sense. It just seemed like with Jameis's arm and Arians's system, Godwin benefitted. That could be at total first blush, though, and I'd be happy to be wrong. I think the big thing for Godwin was getting to run routes more frequently than under Koetter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rockaction said:

 I guess if you're going to drill down the numbers, that makes sense. It just seemed like with Jameis's arm and Arians's system, Godwin benefitted. That could be at total first blush, though, and I'd be happy to be wrong. I think the big thing for Godwin was getting to run routes more frequently than under Koetter. 

He had more targets per snap in 2018 when he played behind both Evans and Humphries than he had in 2019.  I think the fear in FF is that a WR will decline with a QB change, but that's not always the case.  Many times it's just the opposite.  He had better per game stats with Fitz vs Jameis in 2018.  He will be fine in 2020 no matter who is throwing to him.  A definite hold in dynasty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Coach Bruce Arians said the Bucs have yet to make a decision on Jameis Winston's future with the team.

"Really nothing has changed," Arians said. "You get about three days to decide. The legal tampering period. Is somebody going to get let go? What's the trade values? It's really monotonous right now because you don't have any answers." The Bucs have "legitimate interest" in Philip Rivers, who moved to Florida this offseason. They've also been linked to Tom Brady, Teddy Bridgewater, and Ryan Tannehill, but whether they view Rivers or any of the other options as upgrades on Winston remains to be seen. With Winston contract talks going nowhere, signs continue to point to the Bucs going in a different direction.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Feb 15, 2020, 1:00 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports the Bucs have considered a two-year extension for Jameis Winston.

Winston would get a fully guaranteed $27 million salary this season — roughly the same the Bucs would pay him under the franchise tag — and a team option for 2021. It's not a very player-friendly deal, but re-signing with the Bucs would allow Winston to rehab his value in a scheme that saw him throw for the eighth-most yards in NFL history last year. Winston may also be a candidate for the transition tag, which would pay him $2.5 million less than being franchised. The Bucs have been strongly linked to Philip Rivers, and despite coach Bruce Arians taking multiple shots at Winston through the media, there's still a chance he's brought back on a short-term deal.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Feb 21, 2020, 6:32 PM ET

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope that people look at Winston in redraft and think he sucks and will never learn so I can take him late. The last two QBs I've taken late have won the MVP (2018 Mahomes 11th in a 14-teamer, 2019 Lamar Jackson in the 6th). I'd love it if his ADP stays north of 120.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

I hope that people look at Winston in redraft and think he sucks and will never learn so I can take him late. The last two QBs I've taken late have won the MVP (2018 Mahomes 11th in a 14-teamer, 2019 Lamar Jackson in the 6th). I'd love it if his ADP stays north of 120.

If he stays with the Bucs, he should be a steal next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

When asked if the organization would tag free agent QB Jameis Winston, coach Bruce Arians responded he'll know when "I know who else is available."

Arians eluded that teams really don't know who's going to hit the market "until the tags come out," leaving 2-3 days to make any final decisions. He then added he'll know on Winston's situation when the organization knows "who else is available" next week. "Can we win with Jameis? Hell yeah," Arians said. "But you have to see if there is a better option." All signs point to Tampa Bay bringing back stud EDGE Shaquil Barrett in free agency, but Winston's suitor is still clearly up in the air. The 26-year-old returning on a short-term deal remains a likely outcome.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 11:28 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jameis Winston had offseason surgery for a torn meniscus.

With Winston looking for a long-term deal, his camp is making sure to expose every ailment he played through in 2019 to show his toughness. Winston apparently couldn't see (eye surgery), couldn't move (meniscus surgery), and couldn't grip a football (broken thumb) as well as he should have last season. It makes his evaluation complicated because he was still productive, but the Bucs are on the fence with him as their 2020 starting quarterback given all of his turnovers. Expect the Bucs to explore the free agent and rookie quarterbacks over the next few weeks, but they may have to settle for each other if other options sour.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 28, 2020, 2:53 PM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Winston "is likely" to leave the Buccaneers in free agency. However, King was uncertain which team Winston will end up with and doubted he'll be a starter with a new team. Last season, the Florida State product led the NFL in passing yards (5,109) and was second in touchdowns (33) but also threw a league-wide 30 interceptions.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/02/nfl-rumors-jameis-winston-tom-brady-patriots-free-agency?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a crazy market for quarterbacks. Wouldn't a lot of them benefit, given their age or contract situation, to stay where they are under systems they know? Jameis with Evans and Godwin is a fantasy dream. Hate to see it end. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This is a crazy market for quarterbacks. Wouldn't a lot of them benefit, given their age or contract situation, to stay where they are under systems they know? Jameis with Evans and Godwin is a fantasy dream. Hate to see it end. 

I hope Brady or Rivers one ends up in TB if they are moving on from Winston. For all of us Evans/Godwin owners :) And think what it could mean for OJ Howard (Gronk/Gates role?) BRING IT ON

Edited by ffmail4me
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

This is a crazy market for quarterbacks. Wouldn't a lot of them benefit, given their age or contract situation, to stay where they are under systems they know? Jameis with Evans and Godwin is a fantasy dream. Hate to see it end. 

I had both Winston and Evans on my roster last year.  The interceptions were mind boggling, but knowing that he'd be throwing the ball all day long made them tolerable.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lod001 said:

He should be treated the same way as TE Austin Hooper. Go see what you can get in the open market and come back to us if you don't like it. 

I'm not sure it works that way very often. Pretty much if you don't reach an agreement before free agency you are going to play elsewhere. I would guess that most players would take offense to that approach and aren't going to talk with that former club anymore and just move on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, rockaction said:

This is a crazy market for quarterbacks. Wouldn't a lot of them benefit, given their age or contract situation, to stay where they are under systems they know? Jameis with Evans and Godwin is a fantasy dream. Hate to see it end. 

I don’t think he gets to make that decision. Sounds like there are numerous guys the Bucs would prefer to have, unfortunately Bridgewater is one of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Capella said:

I don’t think he gets to make that decision. Sounds like there are numerous guys the Bucs would prefer to have, unfortunately Bridgewater is one of them. 

Bridgewater will be a Nick Foles level disaster.  If they're moving on I'd prefer they sign a mid-tier free agent like Mariota, an aging vet like Rivers, or trade for Dalton and then draft Love or Herbert with the 14th pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's crazy not to bring Winston back. Sure the interceptions are an issue, but sticking with him for a couple more years to see if he can learn better ball security seems like a better option than an old QB  or a mediocre QB. Sticking with Winston and drafting a rookie in case sounds like the best option. Then again, this is Tampa Bay we are talking about.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Warhogs said:

I think it's crazy not to bring Winston back. Sure the interceptions are an issue, but sticking with him for a couple more years to see if he can learn better ball security seems like a better option than an old QB  or a mediocre QB. Sticking with Winston and drafting a rookie in case sounds like the best option. Then again, this is Tampa Bay we are talking about.

 

He's played the better part of 5 seasons, 70+ games. How much do you need to see? What's the thing that suddenly facilitates a change in his game?

Edited by habsfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which available QB do you like better? Brady and Rivers are at the very tail end of their careers. Bridgewater has never shown me he is more than average. Dalton if available has seemed like a decent game manager but I thought he was known for a weak arm?

I too doubt that Winston will change his colors and suddenly become someone who can take care of the football but I think of all the options he still has the highest upside long term. I would bring back Winston and draft a rookie and hope you get lucky and hit a good NFL QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

Which available QB do you like better? Brady and Rivers are at the very tail end of their careers. Bridgewater has never shown me he is more than average. Dalton if available has seemed like a decent game manager but I thought he was known for a weak arm?

I too doubt that Winston will change his colors and suddenly become someone who can take care of the football but I think of all the options he still has the highest upside long term. I would bring back Winston and draft a rookie and hope you get lucky and hit a good NFL QB.

The franchise tag and draft someone option makes sense but otherwise I would probably prefer someone with a bit less "upside" as opposed to wash, rinse, repeat with Winston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warhogs said:

Which available QB do you like better? Brady and Rivers are at the very tail end of their careers. Bridgewater has never shown me he is more than average. Dalton if available has seemed like a decent game manager but I thought he was known for a weak arm?

I too doubt that Winston will change his colors and suddenly become someone who can take care of the football but I think of all the options he still has the highest upside long term. I would bring back Winston and draft a rookie and hope you get lucky and hit a good NFL QB.

The thing is, Tampa isn't that far off. They probably make the playoffs last year, if Winston doesn't cost them multiple games with some just awful decisions. Arians likely isn't going to be around 3+ years from now. The defense is good right now, the offense is great, with better QB play this is a playoff contender. Let us not forget Winston being outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2018. 

Brady and Rivers are huge upgrades. I think Dalton would be slightly better. I could see cases for guys like Mariota, Foles, and even Alex Smith if he is cleared. If there is any fire to this Brady to the 49ers or Titans smoke, I'd rather have Tannehill or Jimmy G. I do 100% agree that Bridgewater would be a poor fit. 

Winston has put up big yards/TD's, but he's been an ideal environment, and hasn't shown any signs of improving his decision making in 5 years, its arguably regressed. I personally don't think he should be starting for anybody, and has lost the benefit of the doubt, as again, his conditions have been damn near ideal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warhogs said:

Which available QB do you like better? Brady and Rivers are at the very tail end of their careers. Bridgewater has never shown me he is more than average. Dalton if available has seemed like a decent game manager but I thought he was known for a weak arm?

I too doubt that Winston will change his colors and suddenly become someone who can take care of the football but I think of all the options he still has the highest upside long term. I would bring back Winston and draft a rookie and hope you get lucky and hit a good NFL QB.

How do you trust J Winston in the playoffs? He would throw the game losing INT and B Arians head would explode.
The last two games of 2019 he threw 3 TD's and 6 INT's. He is not going to improve on his decision making and that
is a QB you do not take into the playoffs. In 5 games T Bridgewater threw 9 TD's and 2 INT's and the Saints won all
of those games. Bridgewater may not be the best option but you would trust him over Winston. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Bucs GM Jason Licht said he's waiting for "the dominoes to fall" before making a decision on free agent QB Jameis Winston.

The Bucs have made things clear with Winston; we'll keep you around if we can't find an upgrade. Even with Winston's turnover flaws, it's debatable if there are any upgrades on the free agent market, but the Bucs are certainly looking around and are likely leaning towards tagging DE Shaq Barrett instead of their potential franchise quarterback. The whole league, including Tampa Bay, seems to be waiting on the first domino to fall -- Tom Brady. If Brady leaves, expect chaos across quarterback depth charts.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 4, 2020, 10:24 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, Warhogs said:

I think it's crazy not to bring Winston back. Sure the interceptions are an issue, but sticking with him for a couple more years to see if he can learn better ball security seems like a better option than an old QB  or a mediocre QB. Sticking with Winston and drafting a rookie in case sounds like the best option. Then again, this is Tampa Bay we are talking about.

 

It isn't crazy.  I've been a big proponent of his and said a lot of the same things.  "Give him time."  "He's only 26."

This team went 7-9 and he turned it over 35 times.  112 points off those turnovers.  A TD and an extra point per game.  How can any team overcome that?  I do think those mistakes will regress, but by how much?  He's always been a high turnover guy.  At some point you have to decide if you can win a Super Bowl with that kind of variance in performance.

I don't blame them for waiting to see what else may be available.  Especially if Jameis wants some monster contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it could go either way with Winston.  I think that BA laid it out there exactly as it is.  If they can bring in a veteran QB that is an upgrade they will or else they will get Winston at a discount and draft a QB later.  They will do whatever works best.  We will know in the next 14 days.  The Bucs are shopping for a better QB. 

IMHO I think they end up drafting lineman and signing Winston to a 1-year/1-year option contract that will pay WInston market value.  I will say that I believe that Winston's career arc depends on staying with BA.  And that if he is brought back, I think it will be in a prove it year knowing he is looking at another prove it year afterwards situation.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2020 at 1:51 PM, Grahamburn said:

It isn't crazy.  I've been a big proponent of his and said a lot of the same things.  "Give him time."  "He's only 26."

This team went 7-9 and he turned it over 35 times.  112 points off those turnovers.  A TD and an extra point per game.  How can any team overcome that?  I do think those mistakes will regress, but by how much?  He's always been a high turnover guy.  At some point you have to decide if you can win a Super Bowl with that kind of variance in performance.

I don't blame them for waiting to see what else may be available.  Especially if Jameis wants some monster contract.

Every time I think about bringing him back I think of that pick he threw against ATL to end the season. He just didn’t give a #### that Brate was blanketed, he was firing it in there regardless. It’s not a talent issue with him, he just DGAF.  You can’t have a qb like this, especially if the rest of the team is good and doesn’t need to play catch-up. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hairy Snowman said:

Personally, I think it could go either way with Winston.  I think that BA laid it out there exactly as it is.  If they can bring in a veteran QB that is an upgrade they will or else they will get Winston at a discount and draft a QB later.  They will do whatever works best.  We will know in the next 14 days.  The Bucs are shopping for a better QB. 

IMHO I think they end up drafting lineman and signing Winston to a 1-year/1-year option contract that will pay WInston market value.  I will say that I believe that Winston's career arc depends on staying with BA.  And that if he is brought back, I think it will be in a prove it year knowing he is looking at another prove it year afterwards situation.    

This is obviously contingent on absolutely no one else being prepared to offer him more term than that. I guess that's possible but it only takes one team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Capella said:

Every time I think about bringing him back I think of that pick he threw against ATL to end the season. He just didn’t give a #### that Brate was blanketed, he was firing it in there regardless. It’s not a talent issue with him, he just DGAF.  You can’t have a qb like this, especially if the rest of the team is good and doesn’t need to play catch-up. 

The Week 16 Texans 2 straight Pick 6 to start and that last play of the year felt like it was destined to see his downside.  Although i still feel like our upside is limited with some journeyman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Not sure if there is another QB that needs to stay more than this guy. Different system and surrounding cast could be awful from an FF point of view.

I don’t see another fit for him. At least not as a starter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Joe Bryant changed the title to QB Jameis Winston, NO

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...