What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (5 Viewers)

For those that are comparing Winston to Russell. Other than being black what is about Winston that reminds you of Russell?
His commitment to fitness. Certainly not his personality, since Russell was by all accounts much beloved in his hometown, while anyone who's ever known Winston hates him. He's more like Leaf in that respect. But in terms of being a rub-a-dub with a million-dollar cannon and very little else that isn't a red flag, Russell isn't a terrible comp. Winston's Russell on a better team, with a worse character. Or a fat, black Leaf with a bonus (and ongoing) criminal background.

He certainly doesn't have any good comparisons who've succeeded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, everyone but the FSU media machine, that's beholden to act as if they appreciate and like him, since damaging his draft stock would cost them future recruits. :rolleyes:

Sorry, everyone but the FSU media machine, that's beholden to act as if they appreciate and like him, since damaging his draft stock would cost them future recruits. :rolleyes:
DJ went around and spoke to a ton of people, inside FSU and outside, about Winston and none of them had a single bad thing to say about him. He said it was one of the first times he couldn't find anyone who had anything bad to say about him. Roll your eyes all you want. It's blatantly false.

To be fair, though, you're always at a likability disadvantage when you've either raped or robbed a substantial percentage of the people you've met. :shrug:

Allegedly. :rolleyes:

FSU doesn't need Winston to get recruits.
I don't what your reasons are for supporting Winston, I don't care about FSU, and I don't even care about college football.

What I care about is people recognizing the enormous number of red flags Winston has as both a human being and a QB.

For those that are comparing Winston to Russell. Other than being black what is about Winston that reminds you of Russell?
Size, immobility, strong arm, questionable decision-making. Leaf is a reasonable comp also.
Looks like he can move pretty well in this video
Ummmm....

Everyone who's ever known Winston hates him.
Terrible shtick.
Did you conveniently ignore the photos I posted from his hometown "Appreciation Day" that had about 100 people in the stands?
Somewhere between the everyone and a 100 is proof you are wrong
hytgold Sep 30, 2014You know what you don't see at hueytown football games? No one wears Winston's FSU jersey. I'm from Hueytown and my son wanted a #5 FSU jersey. I couldn't bring myself to buy him one. My son cheers for Jaboo and cannot understand why he has to act this way.

Size, immobility, strong arm, questionable decision-making. Leaf is a reasonable comp also.
I was being facetious with the latter.

Here's a pre-draft review of Russell:

Positives: Has a well-built, strong and athletic frame. … Shows good overall foot quickness and agility to step out of the pocket and buy time for his receivers. … Shows good accuracy firing the ball up the seams. … Has a fluid throwing motion, much like the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning. … Will play through pain and does a great job of standing tall in the pocket. … When he tucks the ball and runs with it, he has the size, strength and bulk to consistently break tackles.

Negatives: His weight needs to be monitored, as he'll lose some of his agility when he hits the 260-pound range. … Has a good grasp of the passing game but sometimes gets too confident in his arm strength and will try to force the ball into tight spots. … Appears a little stiff in his hips when having to escape pocket pressure for too long. … Can make all the throws but needs to take a little zip off shorter tosses.

Gee that sounds almost exactly like the evaluation of Winston. (Except for the fluid throwing motion).

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2014/08/12/paul-finebaum-winston-wears-it-badly/

“I may be a little jaded in the fact that I’ve lived in Alabama for a long time – I don’t anymore – and he’s from that area,” Finebaum said of Winston, a Hueytown native, on The Damon Amendolara Show. “And you do talk to people. You talk to people that went to high school with him, who coached him, and you pick up some of that. And then you watch the bouncing ball – or in this case, the oblong, the pigskin. I just don’t really care for him. The things that I don’t like oftentimes are what makes him good – and that’s his brash nature. He took control of that Florida State team even as a freshman, just like he did in high school, just like he’s always done. But I think he wears it badly.”

“I was embarrassed for him listening to his Heisman speech,” Feinbaum continued. “Even compared to Manziel the year before – (who’s) not exactly the poster child for what’s right in America – Manziel gave an eloquent speech. Winston’s speech was hard to listen to. I wanted to say, ‘Someone grab this guy and teach him that when you’re in public, don’t be so brash. Don’t be so in-your-face. This is the Heisman Trust we’re talking about.’”

Winston didn’t do himself any favors during Florida State’s Media Day, either, when he trash-talked the SEC and said that Alabama and Auburn are his true rivalry games.

“Listen, that doesn’t bother me,” Finebaum said. “I don’t care. But be careful. You already have a couple of charges against you. You weren’t charged; be fortunate that you weren’t. You keep making mistakes. You’re still walking around and being enabled by Jimbo Fisher and everyone else.”

Winston even got into a tussle with teammate Jalen Ramsey, who was kicked out of practice Sunday after laying a hard hit on the Heisman winner. Fisher then called out Ramsey in the media for his lack of character and leadership.

“Again, that’s why I think it’s going to be a train-wreck,” Finebaum cautioned. “I’ve seen this before. I’ve covered college athletics for 30 years, and when this many things go wrong, it usually has a trickle-down effect on the team, particularly when you’re No. 1 in the country and the defending national champion.”

While some media love Winston because he’s so charismatic and quotable, Finebaum would like to see him – not to mention Fisher and FSU in general – held to a higher standard.

“As someone who wrote for a living for a long time and now is working for ESPN, I don’t want to turn this into the media is in the tank,” Finebaum said. “But for the most part, people that cover college sports – I say for the most part – are not very aggressive. They’re intimidated. I’m not talking about people at ESPN or CBS or FOX. I’m talking about local reporters who don’t have much access, who don’t have much influence, and they tend to just go along to get along.”

“I’ve been there before,” Funebaum continued. “It’s tough covering a beat, particularly in a small town like Tallahassee, Florida, that is run by the FSU athletic department and by the university. But I’m somewhat embarrassed that the questions are so lame and the response is even worse when we talk about people like Jameis Winston.”

“Again, that’s why I think it’s going to be a train-wreck,” Finebaum cautioned. “I’ve seen this before. I’ve covered college athletics for 30 years, and when this many things go wrong, it usually has a trickle-down effect on the team, particularly when you’re No. 1 in the country and the defending national champion.”
Well, he got the trainwreck wrong, I guess

From Wiki on FSU 2014 season

The Seminoles ended the regular season as the only team from a power conference without a loss, but finished the season with a 13–1 record. The Seminoles won the ACC Atlantic Division for the sixth time, advancing to their fifth conference championship game, where they defeated Georgia Tech to win their fifteenth conference title. Florida State was selected to play in the inaugural College Football Playoff, losing to Oregon in the semifinal and snapping the Seminoles' 29 game win streak. Reigning Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston was a Heisman finalist.

Well, he got the trainwreck wrong, I guess

From Wiki on FSU 2014 season

The Seminoles ended the regular season as the only team from a power conference without a loss, but finished the season with a 13–1 record. The Seminoles won the ACC Atlantic Division for the sixth time, advancing to their fifth conference championship game, where they defeated Georgia Tech to win their fifteenth conference title. Florida State was selected to play in the inaugural College Football Playoff, losing to Oregon in the semifinal and snapping the Seminoles' 29 game win streak. Reigning Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston was a Heisman finalist.
How many losable games did they even play?

#22 Clemson - they were down 17-10 with 6 minutes to go and won in OT

#5 Notre Dame - they were down 27-24 with 7 minutes to go

#12 Georgia Tech - they were tied 28-28 with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter

#3 Oregon - never had the lead again after 6 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

Thats uncanny actually.

Maybe you should ask him why he didn't provide a link....http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/420059

Being serious, I don't get why people are doubting his talent on the field. Clearly there are off the field maturity issues...but dang he's looked great for the large majority of his college career.

Being serious, I don't get why people are doubting his talent on the field. Clearly there are off the field maturity issues...but dang he's looked great for the large majority of his college career.
Welp. You might have missed the Oregon playoff game. Or every single first half of games this year. He built quite a positive reputation in 2014, but this year was really a mixed bag. He looked absolutely awful half the time.

Terrible shtick.
Did you conveniently ignore the photos I posted from his hometown "Appreciation Day" that had about 100 people in the stands?
Pretty sure we already cleared up why the people in his hometown aren't particularly fond of him. It has nothing to do with Winston the person. I'm not sure why I continue responding, but I just can't stop myself...

Terrible shtick.
hytgold Sep 30, 2014You know what you don't see at hueytown football games? No one wears Winston's FSU jersey. I'm from Hueytown and my son wanted a #5 FSU jersey. I couldn't bring myself to buy him one. My son cheers for Jaboo and cannot understand why he has to act this way.
And if he'd gone to Alabama, won the Heisman there, and then won a National Championship for them all you'd see in the stands would be crimson #5 jerseys. Stop posting this ridiculous garbage.

Terrible shtick.
And if he'd gone to Alabama, won the Heisman there, and then won a National Championship for them all you'd see in the stands would be crimson #5 jerseys. Stop posting this ridiculous garbage.
People will overlook a lot of things when they root for a football team...

By the way, if Ryan Leaf had gone to Montana the stands in Great Falls would have been filled with his jerseys.

Bottom line, Jameis was a huge superstar who should have been loved in his hometown regardless of where he played college football, but he isn't.

When vetting any potentially credible accusation of off-field misconduct, Id expect NFL teams to learn both sides and not just listen to the player, agent and coach, said Baine Kerr, a Colorado-based lawyer representing Kinsman. Due diligence should include learning the facts from the accusers point of view.

About two weeks ago, an attorney representing the Bucs did speak to Georgia Cappleman, an assistant in the Tallahassee State Attorneys Office, which decided not to prosecute Winston.

He asked about our investigation, but more specifically they were interested in knowing if there were any reports of, or additional information in reference to, a second victim, said Cappleman, an FSU graduate and the daughter of former Seminoles quarterback Bill Cappleman. I advised them that there was another woman who received some counseling services from Florida State University as a result of an encounter with Mr. Winston that was of a sexual nature.

Though Cappleman acknowledged she has not had contact with the second woman, she said she told the Bucs she doubts the woman will be a problem for Winston going forward because that person doesnt even consider herself a victim.
http://goo.gl/mfvx3U

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Player

According to the Tampa Tribune, the Buccaneers have met or spoken with "upwards of 75 people" with ties to Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston throughout the draft process.

The Buccaneers want to know if Winston's actions in college were "the work of a bad person or simply an immature one." The Buccaneers conducted a similar investigation with Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon a few years back, staking him out at a local bar to see how many times he would come throughout the week. Buccaneers officials spoke with the Tallahassee State Attorney's Office about an FSU student who received "counseling services" after a sexual encounter with Winston. According to the Attorney's Office, the student did not press charges and "doesn't even consider herself a victim." We'll know Thursday if Winston's off-field baggage was too much for the Buccaneers to handle.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Apr 26 - 10:43 AM

When vetting any potentially credible accusation of off-field misconduct, Id expect NFL teams to learn both sides and not just listen to the player, agent and coach, said Baine Kerr, a Colorado-based lawyer representing Kinsman. Due diligence should include learning the facts from the accusers point of view.

About two weeks ago, an attorney representing the Bucs did speak to Georgia Cappleman, an assistant in the Tallahassee State Attorneys Office, which decided not to prosecute Winston.

He asked about our investigation, but more specifically they were interested in knowing if there were any reports of, or additional information in reference to, a second victim, said Cappleman, an FSU graduate and the daughter of former Seminoles quarterback Bill Cappleman. I advised them that there was another woman who received some counseling services from Florida State University as a result of an encounter with Mr. Winston that was of a sexual nature.

Though Cappleman acknowledged she has not had contact with the second woman, she said she told the Bucs she doubts the woman will be a problem for Winston going forward because that person doesnt even consider herself a victim.
Interestingly, it appears the process did not include a conversation with Erica Kinsman, the Zephryhills woman who accused Winston of sexual assault stemming from an incident in December 2012. Kinsman’s attorneys say no NFL team has contacted them or their client.

Terrible shtick.
hytgold Sep 30, 2014

You know what you don't see at hueytown football games? No one wears Winston's FSU jersey. I'm from Hueytown and my son wanted a #5 FSU jersey. I couldn't bring myself to buy him one. My son cheers for Jaboo and cannot understand why he has to act this way.
People will overlook a lot of things when they root for a football team...

By the way, if Ryan Leaf had gone to Montana the stands in Great Falls would have been filled with his jerseys.

Bottom line, Jameis was a huge superstar who should have been loved in his hometown regardless of where he played college football, but he isn't.
Tell me more about how people from Alabama should act...I'm on the edge of my seat.

Interestingly, it appears the process did not include a conversation with Erica Kinsman, the Zephryhills woman who accused Winston of sexual assault stemming from an incident in December 2012. Kinsmans attorneys say no NFL team has contacted them or their client.
Wait, you actually think they should talk to Kinsman? :lmao: :lmao:

"Hey we know you feel like this guy raped you, but can you help us pick a QB?

Yes, I would absolutely want to talk to her and get a read on whether she's telling the truth. At the very least talking to her would give me an idea how willing she is to take the lawsuit to court.

cstu said:
Capella said:

Yes, I would absolutely want to talk to her and get a read on whether she's telling the truth. At the very least talking to her would give me an idea how willing she is to take the lawsuit to court.
That would not only be insulting to her, but insane.

cstu said:
Capella said:

:lmao:

cstu said:
Capella said:

Right, it's much better to interview 75 of his friends, family and teammates.

“When vetting any potentially credible accusation of off-field misconduct, I’d expect NFL teams to learn both sides and not just listen to the player, agent, and coach,” Kinsman lawyer Baine Kerr told the Tribune. “Due diligence should include learning the facts from the accuser’s point of view.”

cstu said:
Capella said:

The Bucs should have made her do a polygraph test, cause I bet she would totally go for that.

DJ went around and spoke to a ton of people, inside FSU and outside, about Winston and none of them had a single bad thing to say about him. He said it was one of the first times he couldn't find anyone who had anything bad to say about him.Roll your eyes all you want. It's blatantly false.
Ok. :rolleyes: and :lmao: Not a SINGLE BAD THING to say huh? Comical. They talked to delusional people. Unless of course, standing up on a table and yelling out #### her in the ##### is to be admired.

TweetShare on TwitterShareShare on FacebookPinPinterest26 Comments

Jameis Winston is making it pretty clear he expects to be picked by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Bucs are exceedingly likely to oblige. Today, Winston was spotted at a Derrick Brooks charity event in Tampa.
http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/4/26/8501101/jameis-winston-attends-derrick-brooks-charity-event

Don't know that it really matters, but if Brooks is willing to help mentor, as is Gerald McCoy, maybe he has a chance to avoid further embarrasment?

Users who are viewing this thread