What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (6 Viewers)

Its so frustrating, having him on the team...next good game, I will see if I can get bench fodder for him, but he's practically worthless
I drafted him before cousins too.  Lol.  Yeah I know what you mean.  He could get hot though.  I had him last year.  Once he gets used to djax I think it will get better.  But who knows when that will be.

Also he would be wise to remember that forcing it to Evans usually works out too

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned him last year.  First half he was awesome.  Threw with reckless abandon.  Lots of yards and tds.  But also stupid INTs.  He was putting up stats but they were losing games.  

Koetter got sick of his boneheaded turnovers and after the bye went run heavy and relegated Winston to game manager.  2nd half of the season he was like a bottom half qb2 for fantasy purposes.  

I watched hard knocks and saw koetter saying the same thing directly to Winston on the show.  He basically in not so many words said "just manage the game and don't make stupid throws".  Koetter doesn't trust him.   

I stayed far away this year.  Not on any of my teams.   Love the player and think he has great potential but his coach is holding him back fantasy wise.   

I'll be starting Bree's with confidence the rest of the way...but 225 yds  in one quarter salvaged a ray of hope

Winston has some accuracy issues, but he does one thing that I wish every single quarterback did...he attempts to make plays that could win the game for his team.  Way too many QBs will check down when it makes little sense or avoid risk at almost all costs.  That may be the play with a big lead, but some QBs play that way by default.  You'll still see Winston make some head-scratching decisions yet, but I feel those will lessen as he matures.  His stats have improved each year in the league and his leadership style seems like the type his teammates will rally around.  He's not elite, but he has as good a chance to enter that category as any other young QB.  Buy.

Winston has some accuracy issues, but he does one thing that I wish every single quarterback did...he attempts to make plays that could win the game for his team.  Way too many QBs will check down when it makes little sense or avoid risk at almost all costs.  That may be the play with a big lead, but some QBs play that way by default.  You'll still see Winston make some head-scratching decisions yet, but I feel those will lessen as he matures.  His stats have improved each year in the league and his leadership style seems like the type his teammates will rally around.  He's not elite, but he has as good a chance to enter that category as any other young QB.  Buy.
Nice fourth quarter. Can't believe how bad he was in the first 3. 

Agreed.  His play was really questionable through 3, but the Bucs were right there.  Unlike most young QBs, I question him more in the first 3 quarters than when the game is on the line in the 4th.  He's a money time player...now he just has to figure out how to get his team into comfortable leads rather than having to play all world to win down the stretch.

Everyone seems to assume that this guy is the future of the QB position. I wonder how many of these prime time games it will take for the media to realise he just isn't a good QB.

Everyone seems to assume that this guy is the future of the QB position. I wonder how many of these prime time games it will take for the media to realise he just isn't a good QB.
Maybe the spotlight was a little too big. Or Brady intimidated him. He was awful last night.  Like bottom 10% of the league awful. 

Winston needs a good QB coach/mentor. He leaves the pocket way too early. I think he can still be a very good QB but man he looked erratic last night.

I do think there is something to him being overhyped before the game. He's leading the pre-game circle and that's great and his team loves him for sure but he almost looks like he's having an out of body experience. Then he comes out and airmails his first 10 throws. 

I do think there is something to him being overhyped before the game. He's leading the pre-game circle and that's great and his team loves him for sure but he almost looks like he's having an out of body experience. Then he comes out and airmails his first 10 throws. 
Yep, he was too juiced up for this game. Biggest home game for the Bucs in a long time. 

Jameis reminds me so much of Phillip Rivers its crazy.

Tons of WTF moments

Always seems to make a few plays to keep his team in the game.

Not going to go down checking it down

Incredibly up and down with his accuracy. Both redzone throws to Brate were incredible. Many of his touch passes were Cam Newton esque. Two feet over martins head. 10 yard outs that landed 10 yards out of bounds.

I didn't find anything Winston did as being horrible. He was off target when throwing to DeSean Jackson early on. They clearly aren't on the same page. A lot of the issues with the passing game was that the playcalls were all geared toward throwing the ball deep, and the Patriots were clearly playing a defense to prevent that. They were giving TB the underneath routes all game and Koetter wouldn't take it until late in the 4th. Had they ran those plays all game, it would be a totally different story. If Brate didn't drop a TD it would be a different story. If Folk didn't kick like Ray Finkle it would be a different story.

I didn't find anything Winston did as being horrible. He was off target when throwing to DeSean Jackson early on. They clearly aren't on the same page. A lot of the issues with the passing game was that the playcalls were all geared toward throwing the ball deep, and the Patriots were clearly playing a defense to prevent that. They were giving TB the underneath routes all game and Koetter wouldn't take it until late in the 4th. Had they ran those plays all game, it would be a totally different story. If Brate didn't drop a TD it would be a different story. If Folk didn't kick like Ray Finkle it would be a different story.
I was at the game. Didn't realize how on the money that ball Brate dropped was. Disappointing. 

I was at the game. Didn't realize how on the money that ball Brate dropped was. Disappointing. 
He dropped a few in the game that he should have had, but the TD was obviously the biggest. Then on the last play OJ Howard wasn't even looking for the ball. I don't know what he was doing, expecting to stand in the end zone then look? I think he had a shot at the ball had he turned his head, too.

Jameis is always going to get a ton of hate, and I don't see it. I think he played well, given the piss poor playcalling. It's like running fly routes against a Prevent Defense all game. Why?

Amazingly, he's still only 23 years old. He was drafted quite young and is still immature for a starting QB.

Wentz and Mariotta are both 24. Carr is 26. Rookie Trubisky is 23.

He still gets too hyped and that should even out over time as he matures.

Expect a similar trajectory from Kizer.

Jameis is always going to get a ton of hate, and I don't see it. I think he played well, given the piss poor playcalling. It's like running fly routes against a Prevent Defense all game. Why?
I am not a Winston hater, but the play calling can't be blamed for some of the erratic throws Winston let loose last night. I think his concentration was off due to nerves.  He usually throws up at least one wth throws a game, but he was just sailing passes left and right last night. He had a bad game. It happens.

He didn’t look very good last night vs a Patriots defense that is not quite there yet...Winston isn’t ready for prime time

He seems to not handle his emotions the best.  It will get better.  Got to remember he's 23.  

Winston looks like a winner to me after all the bs he and nfl fans went though . I see him taking the next few steps to qb7 or better as the season moves along. I agree he seemed too geeked to play against Brady and just airmailed a win he should have had. Folk should be released imho.

He played an awful game, his kicker was 0-for-3 on field goals, yet he was 1 play away from beating the defending champs.  I don't know, I think he'll be fine.  Even if people are comparing him to Bortles and Vince Young  :lmao:

He seems to be good on his feet but yet he never seems to take off and run. I didn't really watch him in college but is that not part of his game?

Winston is still younger (23) than Brady was when he took over in New England (24). Brady also wasn’t a fantasy elite QB until he was at least 28 years old.

He seems to be good on his feet but yet he never seems to take off and run. I didn't really watch him in college but is that not part of his game?
I find myself thinking the same, but he normally finds someone open to throw it to when he breaks the pocket. Case in point the dime to Evans last week right before halftime.

A lot of the comments in here are from people who obviously don't normally watch him play, but because it was TNF they tuned in.

This was probably his worst game in a long time. At least the first three quarters. And he still threw for 300+, didn't turn it over, and had a chance to win it late.

3 missed kicks and several drops spliced in as well. He missed some throws, but the best is still in front of him. 

I'm going to be patient. The preseason hype may have caused the expectations to amplify unnecessarily. 

Users who are viewing this thread