What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach Josh McCown (1 Viewer)

Anyone see the twitter vid of McCown catching passes as a WR from Kitna over 10 years ago, in a game? Incredible and somehow I didn't remember it happening at all. 

Field Yates @FieldYates

Josh McCown’s football journey:

2002-2005: Cardinals

2006: Lions

2007: Raiders

2008: Dolphins

2008-2009: Panthers

2010: Hartford Colonials

2011: 49ers

2011-2013: Bears

2014: Buccaneers

2015-2016: Browns

2017-2018: Jets

2019: Eagles

what does Kaep have to do with McCown?
I don't even think McCown can function as a QB anymore, even a backup. Wentz is hardly durable. Sudfeld is hurt. You need something back there besides a guy handing off repeatedly. Kaep isn't very practical, admittedly out for years, and I'm not sure I even agree with my own statement.

How about we forget Kaep and just be surprised that McCown has another gig, and he's two seconds away from the keys to that dynamo of a team?

Has to be getting close

Was surprised to hear the move, but it is probably good for both. He gets to hang around the field a little longer, is a great locker room presence, and probably not a threat to Sudfeld. This is a move for depth due to short-term injuries. McCown will rejoin ESPN after the season. Which hopefully means February. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am have no doubts that Kaepernick was blackballed by the NFL but there are other factors as to why he hasn’t signed in the NFL.

Colin Kaepernick's biggest problem? Performance, not politics

Kaepernick reportedly is seeking $20 million to sign with a team.

Colin Kaepernick Was Seeking $20 Million to Play in AAF, According to Report

Could Vince McMahon Have $20 Million Reasons To Bring Colin Kaepernick To XFL Version 2.0?

He also has had a lengthy time period since he last played:

Colin Kaepernick Posts Workout Video 889 Days Since His Last Contract

He is apparently in great shape but I question how sharp his skills would be at this stage of his career combined with his salary expectations.

Is he better than McCown? Very likely, but McCown came at a much cheaper cost.

I don't even think McCown can function as a QB anymore, even a backup. Wentz is hardly durable. Sudfeld is hurt. You need something back there besides a guy handing off repeatedly. Kaep isn't very practical, admittedly out for years, and I'm not sure I even agree with my own statement.

How about we forget Kaep and just be surprised that McCown has another gig, and he's two seconds away from the keys to that dynamo of a team?
McCown has a sparkling reputation as a backup QB and mentor/leader.  He is that pseudo assistant coach on the sideline.

Kaep isn't very practical, admittedly out for years, and I'm not sure I even agree with my own statement.
:lol:

He really does. Cleveland and the Jets both seemed to want him to stick around on the coaching staff, so I was surprised he went to TV. Don't know if he wasn't interested or the fact that both of those teams have new leadership since he was on. 

But Wentz is going to have to grow out his hair a little for this kind of sympatico. https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1033159712416522240?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1033873402619158528&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.12up.com%2Fposts%2F6155261-sam-darnold-and-josh-mccown-give-hilarious-explanations-for-hair-video

People that keep bringing up kaep seem to forget that he was horrible before he started the kneeling.  He was about to be cut and lose his job to Blaine gabbert.  He started doing his kneeling to get attention and nothing more.   He is a crappy qb the league figured out.   Nothing more.

People that keep bringing up kaep seem to forget that he was horrible before he started the kneeling.  He was about to be cut and lose his job to Blaine gabbert.  He started doing his kneeling to get attention and nothing more.   He is a crappy qb the league figured out.   Nothing more.
People who say this obviously didn't watch him play.

He wasnt the world beater Harbaugh scemed him to be, but he was more than competent. At no time was anyone planning to cut him lose for Blaine gabbert.

People who say this obviously didn't watch him play.

He wasnt the world beater Harbaugh scemed him to be, but he was more than competent. At no time was anyone planning to cut him lose for Blaine gabbert.
He was about to be benched for gabbert.  Google it

rockaction said:

McCown was very good in 2017 and not so good in 2018 for the Jets, but he’s a good veteran for a team to have around and he’s capable if he has to play.

Josh McCown will undergo surgery to repair a torn hamstring Tuesday.

He'll require a six-month recovery. McCown suffered his injury in the second quarter of Sunday's loss to Seattle, meaning he played the entire second half of that game with a torn hamstring. That marked McCown's first career playoff appearance and potentially his last with the 40-year-old likely headed for retirement this offseason. He was filling in for an injured Carson Wentz, who was concussed on a controversial hit by Seahawks DE Jadeveon Clowney.

SOURCE: Tim McManus on Twitter

Jan 10, 2020, 12:30 PM ET

Tough SOB. Coaches at my wife's old High School team in Charlotte where his son is a QB. The starting QB on that team is Luke Maye's brother and I believe committed to Alabama. Seems like a great guy and future NFL coach. 

Definitely seems to be future coaching material. He received a lot of well—deserved accolades last year mentoring Sam Darnold after the kid was brought in to replace him. 

Playing backup QB that many years is pretty impressive. Hate that he got hurt in (likely) his last game as a player.

So guys...who is the next Josh McCown?

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles expressed interest in impending free agent Josh McCown for a position on the coaching staff, but McCown isn't ready to retire.

McLane adds McCown was possibly even in contention for the Eagles' still-open OC job. McCown turns 40 this summer and wants to keep sticking around as a player before getting into the coaching ranks. However, he seems like the rare case of a player who would be able to immediately transition to the booth and/or sideline as a coach. It's something that appears to be in his future if/when he decides to make the move.

SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Jan 22, 2020, 9:36 PM ET

Texans interviewed QB Josh McCown for its head-coaching vacancy.

It's the first interview for McCown, who was on the team's active roster at the end of the year and, oddly enough, remains under contract with the team through 2021. The Texans clearly don't have an internal direction for its coaching search, but interviewing a current player is unique even for Houston's standards. Jim Caldwell also reportedly had extended talks with the team's front office on Friday.

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jan 22, 2021, 4:21 PM ET

Would this be as big a shocker as I think it is? Would this be a positive for any Houston Texan fans?
If Watson really does want out and can't be talked into staying then HOU may be beggars rather than choosers. Without Watson this looks to be one of the least desirable jobs in the NFL imo. They need to get a Hershel Walker type return from a Watson trade just to make it an average job.

Nothing would really shock me as a HOU hire unless it was Adam Gase. And in the rinse-repeat coaching carousel of the NFL maybe that shouldn't even be all that shocking. Once you are in the club you seem to be in the club for life.

rzrback77 said:
Would this be as big a shocker as I think it is? Would this be a positive for any Houston Texan fans?
It was sure go a long way towards proving those that say the Rooney Rule is a farce correct.

Texans released QB Josh McCown.

He's expected to immediately pursue a carer in coaching, likely landing back in Houston after the organization (comically) interviewed him for its head-coaching vacancy before formally hiring David Culley. With Tim Kelly still hanging on to his OC role, McCown could easily be groomed under the former while taking on the title of Assistant Head Coach. As always, nothing is off the table when it comes to the Texans.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Mar 1, 2021, 4:12 PM ET

(sarcasm...I think)

@ThatStatBoy: The Houston Texans completed an interview with Joel Osteen for their head coaching vacancy per source.

McCown getting interviewed last year and this year for the Texans head coaching position was a topic on the morning sports talk this morning in Houston. He had such a fire for coaching, and wanted to learn as much as he could about coaching and gain some experience coaching after not getting the job last year, that he went out and...... didn't coach anywhere in any capacity in 2021. If McCown gets hired, any hope that Casserio is going to be a good GM decreases immensely. Also, McCown has spoken very highly of Jack Easterby, so if McCown is hired then it would appear that Easterby still has significant influence on the decision making process.

Does the Rooney Rule now include really really white guys?
No, but Texas has an extra rule...the "Mock the Rooney Rule" rule.

The Pats have something similar, but there's is the Kraft Mock-a -Rooney (and cheese) Rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
McCown getting interviewed last year and this year for the Texans head coaching position was a topic on the morning sports talk this morning in Houston. He had such a fire for coaching, and wanted to learn as much as he could about coaching and gain some experience coaching after not getting the job last year, that he went out and...... didn't coach anywhere in any capacity in 2021. If McCown gets hired, any hope that Casserio is going to be a good GM decreases immensely. Also, McCown has spoken very highly of Jack Easterby, so if McCown is hired then it would appear that Easterby still has significant influence on the decision making process.
Surprised no one snatched him up sooner.
I think he's destined to be a head coach in the league and that he'll be good.
----------------------
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former veteran NFL quarterback Josh McCown - who was connected to Houston’s head coaching search last year - is joining Frank Reich’s coaching staff in Carolina, per league sources. McCown played for the Panthers in 2008-‘09.
----------------------
Connie Carberg
@ConnieScouts
This is awesome and especially for Sam Darnold. No question when Sam had Josh at the Jets things were really really building. Smart move by Frank Reich

----------------------
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Former veteran NFL quarterback Josh McCown - who was connected to Houston’s head coaching search last year - is joining Frank Reich’s coaching staff in Carolina, per league sources. McCown played for the Panthers in 2008-‘09.
----------------------
Connie Carberg
@ConnieScouts
This is awesome and especially for Sam Darnold. No question when Sam had Josh at the Jets things were really really building. Smart move by Frank Reich
Just to be clear, I was not saying that Josh McCown was going to be a bad head coach, if he ever gets there. I was saying hiring him to be a head coach, when he had no experience as a coach in any capacity in either college or the NFL, would have been a really bad decision. If he does well as a coach under Frank Reich, Then maybe teams can start to look at him as a head coach possibility

----------------------
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
----------------------
Connie Carberg
@ConnieScouts
Just to be clear, I was not saying that Josh McCown was going to be a bad head coach, if he ever gets there. I was saying hiring him to be a head coach, when he had no experience as a coach in any capacity in either college or the NFL, would have been a really bad decision. If he does well as a coach under Frank Reich, Then maybe teams can start to look at him as a head coach possibility
You mean like Saturday and the colts?

----------------------
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
----------------------
Connie Carberg
@ConnieScouts
You mean like Saturday and the colts?
Exactly

Users who are viewing this thread