What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (3 Viewers)

He looked super rattled back there.  I’ve seen that look in David Carr before when he lost his pocket presence.  Not good. 

He looked super rattled back there.  I’ve seen that look in David Carr before when he lost his pocket presence.  Not good. 
In 20 years, we won't be able to explain to the next generation how Jimmy G became one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the NFL with a contract bigger than Brees, Brady and Cam Newton. 

In 20 years, we won't be able to explain to the next generation how Jimmy G became one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the NFL with a contract bigger than Brees, Brady and Cam Newton. 
Or that the 2nd round pick was worth six players.

Welcome to New England, where second-round picks can become so, so much more.

In this case, we're talking about the No. 43 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Patriots acquired from the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

One pick for one player: Simple trade, right?

Not for the Patriots, who by direct and indirect means have transformed that selection into a vast array of players and future draft picks.

Let's follow along, shall we? (Hat tip to Pats Pulpit's Pat Lane and CBS Boston's Michael Hurley, who did some painstaking leg work to sort this out.)

Here's how it all started:

1. Patriots trade Garoppolo to Niners for 2018 No. 43 pick

After that? Buckle up.

2. Patriots trade No. 43 to Detroit Lions for 2018 No. 51 and No. 117 picks

3. Patriots trade No. 51 to Chicago Bears for 2018 No. 105 pick and 2019 No. 56 pick

3. Patriots trade No. 105 to Cleveland Browns for 2018 No. 114 and No. 178 picks

4. Patriots trade No. 114 to Lions for 2019 No. 73 pick

5. Patriots draft LB Christian Sam with 2018 No. 178 pick

6. Patriots trade 2018 No. 62 (own pick) and No. 117 for No. 56 pick, draft CB Duke Dawson

Deep breath. We're almost there.

7. Patriots trade 2019 No. 73 to Bears for No. 87, No. 162 and 2020 fourth-rounder

8. Patriots trade 2019 No. 56 and No. 101 (own pick) to the Los Angeles Rams for No. 45 pick, draft CB Joejuan Williams

9. Patriots draft RB Damien Harris with 2019 No. 87 pick

10. Patriots trade 2019 No. 97 (own pick) and No. 162 to Rams for No. 101 and No. 133, draft OT Yodny Cajuste and QB Jarrett Stidham

Got all that?

In total, New England made 10 moves that involved at least one asset originating from the Garoppolo trade, netting six players:

CB Duke Dawson
LB Christian Sam
CB Joejuan Williams
RB Damien Harris
T Yodny Cajuste
QB Jarrett Stidham

Oh, and the book still isn't closed on this trade, as the Patriots have the Bears' fourth-rounder in next year's draft.

The jury is still out on all of these players, but if any go on to make significant contributions -- if, say, Stidham becomes Tom Brady heir apparent -- credit goes to Bill Belichick for squeezing every last ounce out of the Jimmy G trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this was covered (so many pages) but reports are the he’s tentative stepping into throws, as he seems to fear planting his repaired leg because if the picket collapses, he might get hit.

that’s....not great. :doh:  

So he’s sailing balls, wildly inaccurate, and hesitates to make his quick timing reads because he’s not set. 

Hopefully he can shake that ish off. 

I’m still optimistic. We’ve seen him perform, when he took a terrible team 5-0 down the stretch. The recency bias in saying he’s terrible as though he’s never, ever shown anything is a little overwhelming in here.  Sure, it was a small sample size, but the talent was there. I’m still in benefit of the doubt mode since he is coming off of a significant injury. 

Not sure if this was covered (so many pages) but reports are the he’s tentative stepping into throws, as he seems to fear planting his repaired leg because if the picket collapses, he might get hit.

that’s....not great. :doh:  

So he’s sailing balls, wildly inaccurate, and hesitates to make his quick timing reads because he’s not set. 

Hopefully he can shake that ish off. 

I’m still optimistic. We’ve seen him perform, when he took a terrible team 5-0 down the stretch. The recency bias in saying he’s terrible as though he’s never, ever shown anything is a little overwhelming in here.  Sure, it was a small sample size, but the talent was there. I’m still in benefit of the doubt mode since he is coming off of a significant injury. 
That’s a shame

I’m glad, let people shy away from taking him. The SF O is going to be very good this year, although it may take a few weeks for JG to knock off the rust. I’m taking him as a QB2 all day long 

I’m glad, let people shy away from taking him. The SF O is going to be very good this year, although it may take a few weeks for JG to knock off the rust. I’m taking him as a QB2 all day long 
Is it Shanahan or the players you like? both? 

IMO the players are uninspiring to say the least.

The only proven asset they have is Kittle. The rest is debatable at best 

A few months ago, I thought I liked Jimmy G.  I thought Pettis was about to bloom.  Now, I agree.  The only one I'm terribly interested in is Kittle.  

I hope Pettis figures it out, I went and got a decent number of shares.

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS

Analysis: It's unreasonable to believe #49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo has no significant hurdle to clear in his return from a torn ACL.

Link

A few months ago, I thought I liked Jimmy G.  I thought Pettis was about to bloom.  Now, I agree.  The only one I'm terribly interested in is Kittle.  

I hope Pettis figures it out, I went and got a decent number of shares.
I stand by my formula. Pettis and Samuel both meet the criteria toward never being a fantasy wr1. it's very possible the offense is high volume and one ends up being an exception but at this point the only thing that gets anyone excited about for their offense is full of "but has potential"s.

Pettis and Samuel have late breakout ages and injury histories... but they have potential 

McKinnon ans Coleman dont have a history of staying healthy... but they have potential 

JimmyG is coming off an ACL tear and is relatively unproven... but he has potential

Idk where people are gettinfnthat this offense is going to be a huge powerhouse. sure, it's the most potential/raw talent surrounding JimmyG in his 49er history but its unproven and a huge gamble. especially in a division with LAR and SEA

David J. Chao @ProFootballDoc

"He got rid of it too early to avoid the hit" @49ers HC on the #JimmyGaroppolo interception. Recover from injury is not all physical. Didn't step into throws last night with the lead leg ACL injury.

Speaking Tuesday, 49ers GM John Lynch said Jimmy Garoppolo's recovery from his torn ACL has been "flawless."

"I’m hesitant and reluctant to say it, (but) the recovery from the knee (injury) has been flawless," was Lynch's exact quote. The public takeaway from Garoppolo's summer has been shaky play, but the 49ers have been focused on his good health. Barely even being drafted as a QB2, Garoppolo could prove to be a valuable fantasy streamer.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 20, 2019, 7:46 PM ET

John Middlekauff ✔ @JohnMiddlekauff

Mort telling @ryenarussillo that it’s not all rosy with Jimmy G & Kyle. Safe to say the qb needs a solid night Saturday to quiet everything down

12:27 AM - Aug 23, 2019

John Middlekauff ✔ @JohnMiddlekauff

Mort telling @ryenarussillo that it’s not all rosy with Jimmy G & Kyle. Safe to say the qb needs a solid night Saturday to quiet everything down

12:27 AM - Aug 23, 2019
Kyle Shanahan responds to Chris Mortensen suggesting Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t mentally keeping up

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/127465-shanahan-responds-chris-mortensen-suggesting-garoppolo-keeping-mentally/

Mortensen, he commented on the podcast that he could envision the 49ers moving on from Garoppolo. That's not a new take, but the journalist added a little something to the reasoning.

"Obviously, he tore his ACL early in the season last year, but I think there's been some other things that I don't think Kyle Shanahan likes what he sees," Mortensen said. "I'm not sure if it's prep or — Kyle, I think he's one of the top three offensive coordinators in football […] Mentally, you'd better be able to keep up with Kyle. Kyle, I'm not sure he's a patient, patient guy, especially when it comes to quarterbacks.

"They're at the point where they want to win. John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan are kind of tied at the hip there. I'm anxious to see what happens at the start of the season with Garoppolo if they don't think he's ready."

Is there some concern that maybe Garoppolo is having trouble mentally keeping up with Shanahan? Is he still having a problem grasping the playbook and offense, as Mortensen suggests? He goes on to question whether or not Garoppolo will be the starter for the 49ers' game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on September 8.

"I heard it hasn't been pretty," Mortensen adds. "I heard what we've seen in preseason is kind of what we were seeing in practice a bit."

That last comment would go along with what New England Patriots analyst Scott Zolak said on Thursday, calling Garoppolo "one of the worst practice quarterbacks we've had here."

Head coach Kyle Shanahan joined KNBR on Friday morning and was asked about Mortensen's comments. Is Garoppolo still trying to grasp his playbook and offense?

"I think learning the playbook is done," Shanahan said on the "Murph and Mac" show. "You can learn the playbook pretty fast. It's not like we're doing brain surgery here. You learn the playbook pretty fast. It's about performing it consistently. The way that happens is you play in games, you get a lot of playing time, you go through some ups and downs.

"Jimmy has had 10 career games. That was one of the most disappointing things for me personally. What I was looking forward to last year was knowing, alright, this is going to be the first season Jimmy gets to go in as a starter and gets to play a season as a true NFL quarterback.

"He only got to play two-and-a-half games. That was the most frustrating part. Not that he doesn't get to learn the offense of anything, that he doesn't get to go rep the offense. And now you get to take a whole year off and miss pretty much all of OTAs — he was only allowed to do 7-on-7, which is not real football — and then you throw him into training camp full-go.

"He's had some real good weeks; he's had some real good practices. But as (with) everyone, it is up and down. It's very well-documented that he had one very bad practice, the five-interception practice. Unfortunately, that was followed by not a great outing from our whole starting offense and the 12 plays they got.

"I think it's pretty normal this time of year for people to blow that up, but it is what it is. I think it's pretty obvious; the guy is coming back from an ACL, he hasn't played in a lot of games, and he needs to get out there and play football."

Fans will get a lengthier look at Garoppolo on Saturday against the Kansas City Chiefs. The plan is for the starters, including Garoppolo, to play the entire (or close to it) first half.

Shanahan said he isn't too concerned even if his starting quarterback has another poor outing against the Chiefs. That's what preseason is for. The coach views these games as an extension of practice, except defenders are allowed to get their hands on you now.

Added Shanahan, "We're real confident this year. We've got a good team. We've got the best team we've had here in three years, and we plan on getting better each week throughout the season and plan on Jimmy throughout the season getting better with our team. Hopefully, we'll be at the top of our game coming to the end, and we get in the tournament for the playoffs."

This has been a rock solid drive for JimmyG. 

But they can’t run to save their lives. 

4th & short had no chance - terrible play call, no protection. Easily batted down. 

But I liked what I saw from a Garapolo on 3rd and long against the blitz both times. And the checkdown to the fullback was solid too. 

Stayed cool under pressure, found his man, go Jimmy go. 

Not a great throw on the TD but Brieda hauled it in.

This drive was what Jimmy needed. He just needs to play football now. 

I'm liking what I see so far (other than the play calling...grrrr)

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 14-of-20 passes for 188 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' third preseason game.

After struggling both in practice and his previous preseason start, Garoppolo finally came alive against a defense that's been known to make that happen for opposing quarterbacks. Although he appeared a bit skittish in the pocket at times, Garoppolo seemed to have his timing and mechanics back. His touchdown was a beautifully-lofted 20-yarder to Matt Breida in the end zone. Being drafted as a bottom-barrel QB2, Garoppolo figures to be an excellent early-season streaming option in Kyle Shanahan's reliably-explosive offense.

Aug 24, 2019, 11:57 PM ET

People are myopic and fail to realize that he’s just coming back from a major injury. The 49er O, BY THE END OF 2019, will be very good 

IMO, Deebo is the guy to own. He passes the eye ball test and can be special (dynasty). 
Have him targeted for the later rounds as well. In redrafts many rookie WRs are very inconsistent.

Long term, without question Samuel. He and Hurd were dynamic this summer, but neither will be starting Week 1.

I think Deebo can be a nice fantasy wr2 (eta: eventually)
Yep, great stash at WR6/7 price. The trick will be holding him through the bye weeks but the worst ones from the looks of my mocks will be 9, 10 & 12. Should know by then if he’s moved clearly past Goodwin & Pettis and getting consistent targets.

Happily took JimmyG as my QB2 in the 18th - Niners don’t run well but have a ton of receiving weapons. 

As a Niner fan what I saw against KC was not ideal for willing NFL games. Defense was shaky, secondary is still a mess, and pass rush nowhere near what I wanted to see. Of course against the KC juggernaut a lot of defenses will look like that. But SF also struggled to run the ball, but a bright spot of Garrapolo was  the return of the screen game & checkdown to the RB/TE. I expect a lot of that. 

Real football aside, JimmyG is going to be a FF asset this year. He looked poised, and made all the throws. He was a little late on the floater to Petis - it was an incredibly difficult throw, but a split second got Petis creamed (probably why he’s banged up) but otherwise a pretty flawless performance. He’s going to throw for a lot of yards, and put some points on the board. 

And at some point gets yet another weapon in McKinnon, while Samuel develops at the pro level. And he looks ready. 

I’m optimistic. For FF I’d take Garrapolo over Winston & a couple others as a backup. 

Jimmy Garoppolo remains on track to play in Week 1.

"We really, knock on wood, haven't had any setbacks and been on schedule the whole time," Garoppolo said in an interview with KNBR. "Things are really coming together." Garoppolo's fully expected to start, but Jerick McKinnon's and Kentavius Street's recent setbacks have the entire organization on pins and needles (warranted or not). Finishing the preseason 15-of-26 for 188 yards, one touchdown, and one pick, Jimmy G's stock couldn't be any lower despite gearing up for an extremely uptempo and tasty matchup against Tampa Bay's swiss-cheese secondary in Week 1. He's an easy buy-the-dip candidate, especially given the Niners' cinch early-season schedule, as fantasy's current QB23.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Aug 28, 2019, 8:31 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread