What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (2 Viewers)

Not watching the game but the stat line looks impressive. Anyone have more input who is viewing the game?
Slow at first, but so was Brady.

They are playing with the WR4-8, and its worse than that sounds.

Garoppolo looked pretty good in the first half, and really good in the second half despite throwing a pick. Drove em down the field to put em in position to win the game.

The Pats' O line is pretty pathetic so far. At this rate, if Garrapolo has to play early in the season, his tendency to have trouble getting the ball out quickly is going to result in LOTS of sacks.

The Pats' O line is pretty pathetic so far. At this rate, if Garrapolo has to play early in the season, his tendency to have trouble getting the ball out quickly is going to result in LOTS of sacks.
It will be fine. They have been spotty, not outright awful. When they've been on, they've been incredible. That 55 yard Jonas Gray touchdown week 1 was 100% offensive line dominance, Jackson and Mason have been great at times. Volmer and Stork have been missing but will be back soon. Scott Chandler has also been out. With Chandler and the others return and more two TE sets the line will be much more consistent.

Its the same thing every year, the Oline starts off slow, making the rest of the team look pretty bad, then they get their chemistry going and become unstoppable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another solid night. He was playing against the other teams 2's, but he is playing well.

In dynasty, is he a buy, sell or hold? I like the kid and am leaning to a hold.

the Pats WR issues are not going to make this easy for Jimmy in the first few games. They're starters right now are what, Amendola and Reggie Wayne? Edelman and Lafell are both out but no clue what that actually means.

The NFL season opener has just turned into such a bungled mess, with 2 superstars missing the game due to weed or cheating (Bell and Brady) plus Martavis out for weed, plus injury issues all around. Season opener looks to be a lot of Ben to Brown, and Jimmy to Gronk. There's not much else for this game... the NFL cannot be happy about this!

the Pats WR issues are not going to make this easy for Jimmy in the first few games. They're starters right now are what, Amendola and Reggie Wayne? Edelman and Lafell are both out but no clue what that actually means.

The NFL season opener has just turned into such a bungled mess, with 2 superstars missing the game due to weed or cheating (Bell and Brady) plus Martavis out for weed, plus injury issues all around. Season opener looks to be a lot of Ben to Brown, and Jimmy to Gronk. There's not much else for this game... the NFL cannot be happy about this!
I've got my fingers crossed that a monsoon hits Foxborough that Thursday evening to put the cherry on top of this #### sundae ... resulting in 14 combined turnovers, a scoreless tie, and tens of millions of viewers tuning out during the game.

It would be such a fitting middle finger to Goodell.

10 catches each for Gronk and Amendola.

I think the Pats would like to hang on to Jimmy into 2018 but theres no way they can extend him if Brady is still good going into 2018, they are gonna drop a lot of money on the defense in 2017 and 2018, they just won't be able to. 

If he does good, hes gone - imo sooner than later. If he does poor, I think the Pats will hold him through 2018 and could see them even maybe trying to extend him.

I think the Pats would like to hang on to Jimmy into 2018 but theres no way they can extend him if Brady is still good going into 2018, they are gonna drop a lot of money on the defense in 2017 and 2018, they just won't be able to. 

If he does good, hes gone - imo sooner than later. If he does poor, I think the Pats will hold him through 2018 and could see them even maybe trying to extend him.
Brady will be 41 in 2018 and there have been two QB's over 40 who threw for more than 17 TD's:

- Favre at age 40 (10 months younger than Brady would be in 2018) had 33 TD's.

- Moon at age 41 (3 months younger than Brady would be in 2018) had 25 TD's.

If he does poorly why would the Pats hang onto him?

If they think he's good they will keep him over a 41 year old Brady in 2018.
How ya figure? We just watched a seriously diminished win the Superbowl. Brady hasn't even sniffed that decline, his fall would have to be meteoric.

This also assumes that Brady wouldn't be willing to restructure again.

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss came away from spring practices believing Jimmy Garoppolo is "on the cusp" of being ready to be a legitimate NFL starter.
One of the best beat men in the nation and the first to really talk up Dion Lewis last spring, Reiss emerged from OTAs believing teammates had embraced Garoppolo as a leader, and that Garoppolo showed full command of the offense. "He naturally has a better understanding of the team’s complex offensive system, understanding not only his own responsibilities but those of other players as well," Reiss wrote. Garoppolo is currently slated to start Weeks 1-4 against the Cardinals, Dolphins, Texans, and Bills. If Garoppolo plays well in Arizona, he might be worth streamer consideration back in Foxboro versus Miami.

Source: ESPN Boston 
Jul 14 - 8:50 PM

Does Garropolo work with the 1s in preseason to get ready?  

A: if so, does that make the Pats look like they're giving up on Brady's possible appeal. 

B: if not, does not that do a huge disservice to Jimmy and the team who will almost assuredly be without Brady in the first month?

Last year and this year Brady and Garropolo split time working with the ones. In reading the tea leaves, BB and the Pats want TB12 to pack it in and just sit the first 4 games. Brady wants to keep fighting. Reallistically, there is very little chance SCOTUS hears this case. From the numbers I heard, they only accept 70 cases a year out of over 1,000 requests. Not sure how this case is a matter of utmost importance to the entirety of the country.

The Patriots are concerned that Brady could apply for and be granted a stay (thus putting off his suspension) but then have the Court decide not to hear the case later in the season. If they decided around Christmas not to hear the case, Brady would miss the end of the season into the playoffs, and that would not be such a good outcome.

As far as Jimmy G goes, I think he will do much better than some people are suspecting. When Brady got hurt, Cassel stepped in cold and very unexpectedly and they went 11-5. If people had forgotten, Cassel hadn't really played much in EIGHT YEARS (since his last year in high school in 2000) and only completed 20 passes in college as a backup at USC. When Brady went down with a knee injury, it was a sock to the system, and the team had to move forward without any notice.

Compare that to Garropolo. NE has known this was coming for two seasons. They have been having him get a lot of reps. They can game plan accordingly and will have months to scheme and figure out what plays he can run (and likely some different than Brady). Similarly, no one else will no what to expect (ie, the element of surprise). Plus, add in some different faces on offense and IMO the NE offense will do fine without Brady, at least well enough to hold down the fort until Brady comes back.

I know Jimmy G will face some pretty tough defensive fronts in ARI, MIA, HOU, and BUF, but I think a healthy OL and better coaching will give Garropolo time to throw. He certainly is more mobile than Brady, and that should also help.

I think the NE offense still is a Top 10 offense with Jimmy G (vs. Top 2-3 with Brady).

CSN New England's Phil Perry reports coaches and teammates are "very confident" in Jimmy Garoppolo.

ESPN's Mike Reiss left OTAs believing teammates had embraced Garoppolo as a leader. These types of reports are nice to hear, but ultimately they do not mean much of anything. The Patriots will feel much less "confident" in Garoppolo if he lays an egg Week 1 against the Cardinals.

Source: CSN New England 
Jul 18 - 10:29 AM

I guess we'll see what thus kid can do but it seems most are optimistic about this kid stepping in and doing ok. No worse than 2-2 is expected but I have a feeling this kid isn't the answer. Cassel was a plug n play but I think kid will struggle and isn't more than a career backup/borderline starter.

i have nothing to base this on other than looking at his college production and what he's done while in NE, most being preseason. I don't think anyone is talking about what if he sucks.. I think they will have to be able to run the ball and run it well.  He has been in there system for a few years and will have all preseason to prepare but I'm going to short Garoppolo as I think backups like Cassel, Hoyer and perhaps even Mallet were better.

i realize this is sacrilegious up in Boston to say this, and I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Garoppolo will be any good.  Not sure why most seem to think he steps in and does ok let alone is the heir apparent.  Yes he has a ton of weapons and all he has to do us to be a game manager but what if he sucks, and sucks bad? 

Until I see what this kid can do to start the season I don't think he is the answer long term or short term.  Again, I very well could be wrong but I'm betting against him. 

I guess we'll see what thus kid can do but it seems most are optimistic about this kid stepping in and doing ok. No worse than 2-2 is expected but I have a feeling this kid isn't the answer. Cassel was a plug n play but I think kid will struggle and isn't more than a career backup/borderline starter.

i have nothing to base this on other than looking at his college production and what he's done while in NE, most being preseason. I don't think anyone is talking about what if he sucks.. I think they will have to be able to run the ball and run it well.  He has been in there system for a few years and will have all preseason to prepare but I'm going to short Garoppolo as I think backups like Cassel, Hoyer and perhaps even Mallet were better.

i realize this is sacrilegious up in Boston to say this, and I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Garoppolo will be any good.  Not sure why most seem to think he steps in and does ok let alone is the heir apparent.  Yes he has a ton of weapons and all he has to do us to be a game manager but what if he sucks, and sucks bad? 

Until I see what this kid can do to start the season I don't think he is the answer long term or short term.  Again, I very well could be wrong but I'm betting against him. 
The Patriots will be fine. It will be over-talked about and over reacted to but the reality is that even with Brady, the Patriots could easily start 2-2 because the Dolphins have a way of bringing out the ugly in the Patriots and the Cards can play with anyone.  Buffalo is hard to figure but we will know by the time they play about how hard or easy that game should be. I do fully expect the Patriots to beat the Texans because they have seen them a lot in recent years and seem to have no problems with them. Texans are also installing a new Qb, so Osweiller will have the exact same amount of run with his team as Jimmy G at that point. 

So, In any event, this could be 2-2 so its not a big deal either way.

I also give a leg up because it is the Patriots and this isn't like some new guy being tossed in suddenly for the Niners or Vikings. This is the Patriots who KNOW they will go through camp and pre-season preparing for these four games and the coaches in New England can prep as well as any team in the league. 

What I think this will REALLY mean in the long term is it helps the Patriots quite a bit because you know Tom Brady is going to come back wanting to raid houses and shoot innocent bystanders and will be on a tear. Brady will be fresher physically and its not like he needs the reps to prepare, but he gets to avoid 4 good defenses early.  And, even though most teams know one another well enough in the scouting department, each season is new and a bit different and those teams playing the Patriots in weeks 5-7 or so won't really have good, current film to study and prepare for the Patriots so I think that is actually an advantage to New England in the sense that they know exactly when Brady returns and how they want to approach things once he has returned. 

David Tukesbrey @DavidTukesbrey

NFL Network reported that the Patriots declined Jimmy Garoppolo's availability w/ media due to a poor practice. The Patriot way once again.

12:22 PM - 31 Jul 2016

good summary video to watch....starting to look like he has a firm grasp on the offense....excitement building for the (huge) arizona test week 1.
The big knock on him (namely by Waldman) coming in was his lack of pocket presence and that didn't seem to be an issue.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/07/sam-bradford-jimmy-garoppolo-tom-herman-nfl-notebook

Albert Breer wants you to know that Jimmy G comes from a great family, is a great kid, and is a really great kid.  He's a great kid.

After watching a handful of Jimmy Garoppolo’s practices this summer, I feel comfortable saying this about the Patriots’ new starting quarterback: What you notice about him is that you don’t notice him.

For better or worse, nothing really stands out. You could say it’s his release, but you’d have to look pretty closely in a non-game setting to see it. And we don’t know how he’ll respond to teams actually game-planning against him, or throwing exotic looks his way, or testing his resolve.

So with that in mind, I talked to a number of people who know Garoppolo well to figure out exactly what we do know going into Sunday night’s showdown in Arizona.

Here are five of those things …

1. He’ll blend in with the furniture. His college coach, Dino Babers, told me the story of his first encounter with Garoppolo’s dad, who’d been actively avoiding him, on the field before Eastern Illinois’ 2013 upset of San Diego State. Turns out, the QB’s father didn’t want to come off as a Little League Dad. “He kept minimizing the picture, and I had to stop him and say, ‘Mr. Garoppolo, listen to me, your son’s gonna play in the National Football League,’” Babers said. “And he says maybe he’ll get into a camp and I said, ‘Your son’s not gonna be a free agent, he’s not just gonna get drafted, he’ll be drafted high.’ Out of respect for me, he’s listening, but I think probably, deep down, he wasn’t sure it’d happen. And that’s his dad. His mom was even worse.” That mirrors Garoppolo’s demeanor. During camp, he really never did anything demonstrative to show he was ready to take charge. So if you’re expecting him to lose his mind like Dan Marino, you’ve got the wrong guy.

2. That demeanor has made him perfect for this situation. For the past 16 months, this golden opportunity has been hanging over Garoppolo’s head. Will it come? Will it disappear? Now, it’s here, and it still pretty weird, because the Patriots are still very much Tom Brady’s team. And through it all, you really haven’t heard much of anything on Garoppolo’s feelings on it. This is a sign of how he’s handling it, which is a little like what his first college coach, Bob Spoo, saw when Eastern Illinois was taking a beating in Garoppolo’s first two years. “Those 2-9 years, it was hard to go through,” said Spoo, who retired following the 2011 season, giving way to Babers. “It was tough, but he did his job, he nevercomplained, just kept working hard. He’s a good person from good people. He always did what he was told.” Both Spoo and Babers said when something was going the wrong way, Garoppolo was almost overly respectful in handling it, which, of course, is how he’s handled the enormity of Deflategate. “He’ll say anything to you, but he knows when the right time and the wrong time is to say it,” Babers said. “He’s gonna say it, at the optimum time.”

3. He had a long way to go, and he’s come a long way. Garoppolo ran an adaptation of the Baylor spread at EIU, which means he was facing the same challenges that Robert Griffin and Bryce Petty had, or that Jared Goff is now. And at first, Garoppolo did have a ways to go. One Redskins coach remembers him like this from joint practices with New England in 2014: “He was really raw. I know he’s gotten a lot better, but it looked like everything was pretty fast for him.” A year later, the Saints saw him in a similar setting, and while the contrast between he and Brady was stark, the progress was clear, as one New Orleans staffer explained: “He looked sharp when he had the opportunity. Tom took most of the reps, and he did look like a young, developing QB compared to Tom, but I was impressed. … Strong arm, quick arm, accurate, can move in the pocket, all the things you’d want at that stage.” And this year, that continued. What the Bears saw in their work with the Pats in August certainly seemed to have starting quarterback written all over it. “He was solid,” said one Chicago staffer. “Smart, quick release, not a big guy, but he’s got something to him. He’s not Brady, but he’s solid.” So that would seem to indicate that he won’t be a fish out of water.

4. If he gets off to a bad start, no one should call the fight. This goes back to Garoppolo’s handling of his first two years in college, and how he emerged stronger for it. So if the Cardinals blitz the crap out of the Patriots, and beat the quarterback’s face in, don’t be surprised to see him bounce back.  He’ll learn from it, and if he fails, it won’t be for not having been able to withstand the punishment. “Some kids don’t want to be taught,” said Spoo “They think they know it all, and don’t absorb anything. He was never that way. He accepted what he was taught, which is why he’s developed into the person he’s becoming. … He’ll be poised, and if something goes wrong, it won’t bother him. It’s always about the next play.” Long story short: Don’t panic if he doesn’t look perfect this week.

5. There is a lot on the line for him, personally. The truth is, this is more of a 2017 story for New England and Garoppolo. I don’t think a 1-3 or 2-2 start will sink the Patriots, just like 2014’s uneven beginning didn’t stop them from winning it all. But Garoppolo has plenty to gain (or lose) over the next month. Just look at the calendar year Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford have had. Both are making $18 million per, just for looking competent down the stretch of 2015. And as for the pressure of having life-changing money on the line, we’re gonna give Garropolo’s mechanics coach, former NFL QB Jeff Christensen, the floor. “He knows he has to take care of the football first,” he said. “You have to take the money off the table, which is tough to do if you’re a dip---- or in the game for the wrong reasons. But if you’re in it for the right reasons, and care about people, you’ll be okay. And that’s who he is.”

Biggest take away from the game, his throws were on point all night and was putting the ball just out of reach of defenders. Very promising.

Biggest take away from the game, his throws were on point all night and was putting the ball just out of reach of defenders. Very promising.
Very impressed by the poise...he looked more comfortable in this game than he did in some of the pre-season ones...

I noticed that too. I think it's because they were using a very generic offense in the preseason. They got to dig into the playbook a little.

Future HOFer Jimmy Garoppolo is not expected to suit up tonight for the game vs. HOU. Has a Type 2 AC Joint strain, which typically has a 2-4 week recovery time. Will probably be questionable / game time decision in Week 4. Edeman will be the QB2 after practicing at QB this week. LOL. Gronk more probable than not to make his 2016 debut this week unless he reaggravates his hamstring injury in warm ups. 

Tuesday:

"I'm a football coach; I'm not a doctor," Belichick said when asked how he juggles some uncertainty with Garoppolo's health and roster decisions. "The medical staff is the medical staff. I coach the team; the medical people handle the injuries. They don't call plays. I don't do surgeries. We have a great deal there. It works out good."

Peppered with questions about Garoppolo, Belichick began to lose patience with one reporter.

"A player's personal situation, his health, always comes first. That's not a football decision; that's a medical decision," he said.

Thursday:

However, the Patriots are putting pressure on Garoppolo to be ready as quickly as possible, even reminding him Tom Brady played through a similar injury on multiple occasions throughout his career, sources have told the Herald.

Ah Bill. Gotta love ya.

(Ok, not actually...)

Users who are viewing this thread