What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (1 Viewer)

Freeman does many things well, but nothing about his game really stood out to me. Now that he lands in an opportune situation, he is definitely worth re-evaluating. Steven Jackson turns 31 this summer, Snelling has retired and Jacquizz Rodgers seems better suited as a change-of-pace back, rather than an every-down player. I see a lot of Ray Rice-like qualities to Freeman's game, and given an opportunity this season, I like his chances to shine. He has definitely moved up my draft board.

I like Freeman, but I don't see him as the long-time starter. Could be a Zac Stacy situation, next year, where a more talented guy that gets drafted higher replaces him.
Agreed. I had a chance to take him in a rookie draft that started yesterday at 2.04 and I took Moncrief instead. Just too much upside and I like the sitaution with Wayne at the tail end of his career and Nicks on a 1-year deal.

Rotoworld:

Falcons fourth-round pick Devonta Freeman is Rotoworld's No. 4-ranked Dynasty rookie running back.
Rotoworld's Evan Silva has Freeman behind only Bishop Sankey (Titans), Carlos Hyde (49ers), and Terrance West (Browns). Deeming him a "Shane Vereen-type talent," Silva believes Freeman is a perfect fit for Falcons OC Dirk Koetter's offense, as a pro-ready pass blocker and smooth receiver. GM Thomas Dimitroff recently suggested Atlanta sees Freeman as a future "lead back." Silva's full Dynasty Rookie Rankings are accessible at the link below.

Source: Dynasty Rookie Rankings

He's my 16th+ round pick in every MFL10. I think there's a lot of upside in his situation given his current value.

looks like i may have got a bit of a deal at 2.10

It help that hes not a big name like Mason, Hyde, Shankey, Hill to possibly keep him down a bit on boards

He will get on the field right away because he is a pass blocking witch. He was killing blitzers last year.

Good runner good catcher great blocker. I thought he could go a little higher. Very complete back. Hate he is in Atlanta.

He will get on the field right away because he is a pass blocking witch. He was killing blitzers last year.

Good runner good catcher great blocker. I thought he could go a little higher. Very complete back. Hate he is in Atlanta.
Why?

I took him at 2.03 and then traded him straight up for Cooks yesterday. I like Freeman a lot but just couldn't turn that one down.

I don't feel the love for Freeman. He is small, slow, and lacks lateral agility - not a great combination. Although he did run behind some good blocking last season.

Apparently, fantasy folks have overrated his situation in Atlanta as well. I don't believe the Falcons took him as the heir apparent to Jackson. As a 4th round pick, Freeman may help spell the load at times this year; or, he will just keep the bench warm until Jackson gets injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Smith said fourth-round RB Devonta Freeman needs to work on his pass protection.

"He’s got great vision, he’s got great stop-and-start ability," Smith said. "The big thing that he needs to work on is the ability to work in pass protection because we ask our backs to do a lot." Freeman showed well in pass protection at Florida State, but this is the NFL. Once he gets it down, Freeman should start eating into Steven Jackson's workload on passing downs and could potentially take over lead-back duties in 2015. He's drawn some Shane Vereen comps.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1663&line=289721&spln=1

Steven Jackson: Steven Jackson has Freeman nipping at heelsESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure believes Steven Jackson "might have a battle on his hands" if Devonta Freeman looks as good in pads as he did in shorts.
Jackson will be the Week 1 starter, but he's not guaranteed a workhorse role. The 31-year-old (in July) failed to clear 4.0 YPC in 9-of-12 appearances last season, looking dangerously close to his career cliff. Freeman, an excellent pass protector with three-down tools and juice in his legs, is going to push for significant snaps right away. We're not going to be investing in Jackson as a RB2. Jun. 30 - 8:45 am et
Source: ESPN.com

devonta freeman and roddy white are two of my favorite value plays right now. Freeman is admittedly a bit of an unknown commodity, but he seems like he has a great opportunity to take this job and he has feature back ability. Roddy has been a top ten wr for years, and has an injured half season before returning to form and is suddenly treated like an over the hill pariah.

Tony g and michael turner are the guys who got old. There's a void. Sjax was supposed to fill it, but hes a stopgap. There are going to be a lot of targets available, and julio isnt going to get all of them. Harry douglas might pick up some slack, but he is what he is, and thats a complimentary player. Toilolo is a blocker - good news for the running game, but he doesn't replace gonzo. And then there's the scrubs at wr who failed to impress last year when given the opportunity.

Enter roddy white and devonta freeman. Roddy is in a contract year - likely his final big contract year - and is going to be a primary target. His numbers last year were on pace with his outstanding and consistent yearly production. And freeman has feature back potential, which includes good receiving ability. There's room for julio to improve, douglas to carve out a bigger role, and still have freeman and roddy get big production without even a bit of improvement from ryan and the overall offense. That's huge. And if ryan actually matured a little last year, dealing with some adversity? These two are among my favorite value picks on the board right now.

The only things I believe Steven Jackson has to worry about are:

-injury

-slow team start

Then, and only then, will Freeman start to "challenge" Jackson for carries "this" season. Otherwise, he will fall into place and learn how to pass protect. Solid prospect, optimistic reporting.

-injury

-slow team start

Then, and only then, will Freeman start to "challenge" Jackson for carries "this" season. Otherwise, he will fall into place and learn how to pass protect. Solid prospect, optimistic reporting.

-injury

-slow team start

Did you forget that Jackson sucked last year?

-injury

-slow team start

Did you forget he was injured last year ?

So I guess his last 5 games where he scored 17, 21, 9, 20, 13 pts was sucking. 16 PPG avg over a span of 16 games would been 256 pts or approx. 12th ranked RB numbers.

-injury

-slow team start

Jackson sucked so bad, Atlanta brought in a 4th rounder to take over.

:no:

cloppbeast said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
georg013 said:

-injury

-slow team start

Jackson sucked so bad, Atlanta brought in a 4th rounder to take over.

:no:
Jackson averaged 3.5 YPC and 5.8 YPR. If that's not sucking I don't know what is.

I don't think it's impossible that Jackson plays better this season, but imo the chance Jackson either gets injured, straight out sucks again, or Freeman picks up pass protection sometime during the season is way too high for me to feel comfortable using a roster spot on him. Much rather have Freeman as a late flyer even in redrafts.

Freeman was under rated by the nfl and is about to show it. Jackson has to be better than he has the last couple years or Freeman will be on his heels quick.

I find it odd that some people want to discount Jackson's incrementally reduced production because of injury when he'll be 31 at the start of this season and given his workload to date. If anything, a continued reduction in his rate of production seems even more predictable.

I still say given the differences in likely production between Greene and Jackson that Freeman actually has a better opportunity than Sankey - and opportunity is why many hold Sankey in such high esteem right now.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Freeman was under rated by the nfl and is about to show it. Jackson has to be better than he has the last couple years or Freeman will be on his heels quick.
I don't see anything special about Freeman. If he's underrated by the NFL, he's underrated by me also. We'll just have to resort to wait and see.

I'd draft Freeman only if I have Jackson. In fact, I do have Jackson, but I still won't draft Freeman with the late first. This reeks of a Vick Ballard or Zac Stacy type situation. Assuming Freeman takes over for Jackson this year, Atlanta could easily make other arrangements next year.

I don't see anything special about Freeman. If he's underrated by the NFL, he's underrated by me also. We'll just have to resort to wait and see.

I'd draft Freeman only if I have Jackson. In fact, I do have Jackson, but I still won't draft Freeman with the late first. This reeks of a Vick Ballard or Zac Stacy type situation. Assuming Freeman takes over for Jackson this year, Atlanta could easily make other arrangements next year.
atlanta has a ton of holes needing filled, if Freeman plays like I think he can then I think there is a very good chance he is the guy next year. They shouldn't be spending more picks and money at rb when both of their lines blow, as does their defense, and every pass catcher beyond their top two.

Very true, it all depends on whether you think Freeman has the goods or not. Personally I think he does..

Zac Stacy saw a pretty good leap in value once he had a few games starting. Why is a comparison to him a negative?

Zac Stacy saw a pretty good leap in value once he had a few games starting. Why is a comparison to him a negative?
You could have short sold Stacy and made out. Long term though, his prospects leave me suspicious. St Louis didn't show a ####-ton of confidence in his ability by drafting Tre Mason.

You could have short sold Stacy and made out. Long term though, his prospects leave me suspicious. St Louis didn't show a ####-ton of confidence in his ability by drafting Tre Mason.
They took Mason in the 3rd round. They needed a backup. I don't see that as a shot at Stacy.

They took Mason in the 3rd round. They needed a backup. I don't see that as a shot at Stacy.
While that may be likely true, it's hard to judge expectations on RBs based upon where they are drafted. As we've seen, RBs are very devalued in the NFL draft nowadays.

It has a lot more to do with Stacy than Mason's draft selection.

For comparison's sake, I don't think the Falcon's 4th round selection of Freeman takes a shot at Jackson.

I find it odd that people assume an undersized, fourth round running back who looked great in shorts and a t-shirt for a week has a shot at being counted on to protect Matt Ryan and unseat a healthy Steven Jackson with meaningful games on the line. Are we arguing for the sake of argument here? My original comment said nothing about two years down the line. My comment was cleary contingent upon SJax staying healthy and the Falcons remaining competitive. If SJax is healthy, he is the best option on that team. As shiny and new as Freeman is, he knows nothing about playing 16 games in the NFL. His draft pedigree is just further confirmation. Not saying he won't have a shot to amount to something down the line. I just find it strange how all of a sudden Sjax's job is on the line. Get real. Even at 31 SJax is still a physical specimen. Something fat Turner could never relate to.

I find it odd that people assume an undersized, fourth round running back who looked great in shorts and a t-shirt for a week has a shot at being counted on to protect Matt Ryan and unseat a healthy Steven Jackson with meaningful games on the line. Are we arguing for the sake of argument here? My original comment said nothing about two years down the line. My comment was cleary contingent upon SJax staying healthy and the Falcons remaining competitive. If SJax is healthy, he is the best option on that team. As shiny and new as Freeman is, he knows nothing about playing 16 games in the NFL. His draft pedigree is just further confirmation. Not saying he won't have a shot to amount to something down the line. I just find it strange how all of a sudden Sjax's job is on the line. Get real.
Hard for any RB to average under 4.0 yards a carry (almost no RB can) and keep his job at 31. And he's been at 3.8 over the past 2 seasons (28 games).

I find it odd that people assume an undersized, fourth round running back who looked great in shorts and a t-shirt for a week has a shot at being counted on to protect Matt Ryan and unseat a healthy Steven Jackson with meaningful games on the line. Are we arguing for the sake of argument here? My original comment said nothing about two years down the line. My comment was cleary contingent upon SJax staying healthy and the Falcons remaining competitive. If SJax is healthy, he is the best option on that team. As shiny and new as Freeman is, he knows nothing about playing 16 games in the NFL. His draft pedigree is just further confirmation. Not saying he won't have a shot to amount to something down the line. I just find it strange how all of a sudden Sjax's job is on the line. Get real.
Hard for any RB to average under 4.0 yards a carry (almost no RB can) and keep his job at 31. And he's been at 3.8 over the past 2 seasons (28 games).
What did the AMAZING Stacy average behind that superb St. Louis O-line last season? Furthermore, I don't think you will find many people gloating about how magnificent the Atlanta line was last year either... There is a difference between saying the guy looks like Adrian Peterson and saying he is better than what he showed last year. It was obvious he was running behind a crappy line and wasn't at 100%. Even at his advanced age, he is still better than Freeman at this stage in his young career. The Falcons know this. Do I expect SJax to run wild for 2,000 yards this season? No. But I don't expect Freeman to all of a sudden start running like a first round draft pick and unseat Jackson with NO experience as a feature back. The only people debating this are guys who drafted Freeman early and are counting on him to perform like Gio. Not going to happen...THIS year...UNLESS, injury or team implosion happen.

Healthy Zac Stacy: 250 carries: 973 yards. (3.8 ypc) age 23

Jackson's last year in St. Louis (2012) 257 carries: 1,042 yards (4.0 ypc) age 29

No denying Jackson was playing at less than 100% last year.

What did the AMAZING Stacy average behind that superb St. Louis O-line last season? Furthermore, I don't think you will find many people gloating about how magnificent the Atlanta line was last year either... There is a difference between saying the guy looks like Adrian Peterson and saying he is better than what he showed last year. It was obvious he was running behind a crappy line and wasn't at 100%. Even at his advanced age, he is still better than Freeman at this stage in his young career. The Falcons know this. Do I expect SJax to run wild for 2,000 yards this season? No. But I don't expect Freeman to all of a sudden start running like a first round draft pick and unseat Jackson with NO experience as a feature back. The only people debating this are guys who drafted Freeman early and are counting on him to perform like Gio. Not going to happen...THIS year...UNLESS, injury or team implosion happen.
I don't own Freeman.

And I have owned Jackson in each the past two years.

You are ignoring what happens in the NFL to older RBs that start falling off in production. At two different teams no-less.

The statement "like a first round pick" wouldn't actually change a single thing about Freemans ability or Jackson ability.

I don't own Freeman.

You are ignoring what happens in the NFL to older RBs that start falling off in production. At two different teams no-less.

The statement "like a first round pick" wouldn't actually change a single thing about Freemans ability or Jackson ability.
You mean Freeman's fourth round ability?

I agree that SJax is declining. But so is Adrian Peterson according to this theory (he also has a rookie nipping at his heels!). A healthy SJax is still a better option than Freeman right now. Just like old Tony Gonzalez was still an option at TE. (He still would be if he hadn't retired). His prestine conditioning and valuable knowledge of pass protection will allow him to continue to play at a competitive level. Maybe he won't break the long ones but he will still command enough respect from defenses to keep them honest. Fred Jackson is proof positive that guys can still contribute in a big way despite having young bucks "nipping" at their heels. And I like Spiller a lot more than I do Freeman. Again, he will have his chance but I don't think it's as close as the media are making it out to be at this point.

georg013 said:
BigSteelThrill said:
georg013 said:
BigSteelThrill said:
georg013 said:
I don't own Freeman.

You mean Freeman's fourth round ability? I agree that SJax is declining. But so is Adrian Peterson according to this theory (he also has a rookie nipping at his heels!). A healthy SJax is still a better option than Freeman right now. Just like old Tony Gonzalez was still an option at TE. (He still would be if he hadn't retired). His prestine conditioning and valuable knowledge of pass protection will allow him to continue to play at a competitive level. Maybe he won't break the long ones but he will still command enough respect from defenses to keep them honest. Fred Jackson is proof positive that guys can still contribute in a big way despite having young bucks "nipping" at their heels. And I like Spiller a lot more than I do Freeman. Again, he will have his chance but I don't think it's as close as the media are making it out to be at this point.
AP averaged 4.5 yards per carry last year. SJax hasn't averaged over 4.4 ypc since his rookie year. No idea how AP belongs in this conversation.

georg013 said:
BigSteelThrill said:
georg013 said:
BigSteelThrill said:
georg013 said:
I don't own Freeman.

You mean Freeman's fourth round ability? I agree that SJax is declining. But so is Adrian Peterson according to this theory (he also has a rookie nipping at his heels!). A healthy SJax is still a better option than Freeman right now. Just like old Tony Gonzalez was still an option at TE. (He still would be if he hadn't retired). His prestine conditioning and valuable knowledge of pass protection will allow him to continue to play at a competitive level. Maybe he won't break the long ones but he will still command enough respect from defenses to keep them honest. Fred Jackson is proof positive that guys can still contribute in a big way despite having young bucks "nipping" at their heels. And I like Spiller a lot more than I do Freeman. Again, he will have his chance but I don't think it's as close as the media are making it out to be at this point.
It's almost over man. Gonzo was special, by any terms, but especially TE. TE has an even worse drop off than RB. Using Gonzo as your crutch is a poor example. SJax was a good RB but even special RB's like LT were done at the same point he's at. The excitement lies in the fact that it's obvious Quizz isn't the answer. Now could it be Freeman isn't either? Sure. He has was a lot of guys look for though: opportunity. Lots of tread on Jackson's tires.

georg013 said:
You mean Freeman's fourth round ability?
One of the weakest arguments. What difference does it make what round any player was picked at after the draft is over? At this point it is now all about performance. We can name plenty of 1st round RBs who failed and we can name plenty of lower round/UDFA RBs who had very good or better careers. I guess if you wanted a weaker argument we could compare 40 times or cuteness, but there isn't much to this kind of position. I don't think anyone is projecting that Freeman is going to the Pro Bowl this year. But he by all accounts has performed well so far in OTAs - and yes, that is tees and shorts work only, but it is information about playing as a pro and it is positive news - which means he'll likely get a look at some opportunity that he wouldn't have otherwise. And to deny SJax's incrementally diminished performance given his age and career workload to date and age seems really odd, especially when one acknowledges that his performance last year, which was awful, was due at least in part to injury. Do you think by being another year past 30 and with that many more touches on his resume that he'll be less susceptible to injury and will be more explosive and quicker? And I am a huge admirer of SJax's body of work - huge.

Further, what does Stacy have to do with any of this discussion? Is ATL looking at trading for him? Different RB on a different team that has no bearing on division of work in ATL this coming season.

ATL by all accounts wants someone to step up and take on some of Jackson's burden, especially if they feel they are a playoff team since they'll want him available then the most. Rodgers has had multiple chances to be the guy and has not performed adequately as a pro RB - and I am a Rodgers owner who is contemplating cutting him. That means there is a void for Freeman to step into. The opportunity is there, and given SJax's point in his career, the opportunity could be large.

At this point being picked in the 4th round means nothing. Seeing how Freeman adapts to the NFL once pads go on and then whether he can fill that void is everything. But the opportunity is there, and that makes Freeman very attractive.

One of the weakest arguments. What difference does it make what round any player was picked at after the draft is over? At this point it is now all about performance. We can name plenty of 1st round RBs who failed and we can name plenty of lower round/UDFA RBs who had very good or better careers. I guess if you wanted a weaker argument we could compare 40 times or cuteness, but there isn't much to this kind of position.I don't think anyone is projecting that Freeman is going to the Pro Bowl this year. But he by all accounts has performed well so far in OTAs - and yes, that is tees and shorts work only, but it is information about playing as a pro and it is positive news - which means he'll likely get a look at some opportunity that he wouldn't have otherwise. And to deny SJax's incrementally diminished performance given his age and career workload to date and age seems really odd, especially when one acknowledges that his performance last year, which was awful, was due at least in part to injury. Do you think by being another year past 30 and with that many more touches on his resume that he'll be less susceptible to injury and will be more explosive and quicker? And I am a huge admirer of SJax's body of work - huge.

Further, what does Stacy have to do with any of this discussion? Is ATL looking at trading for him? Different RB on a different team that has no bearing on division of work in ATL this coming season.

ATL by all accounts wants someone to step up and take on some of Jackson's burden, especially if they feel they are a playoff team since they'll want him available then the most. Rodgers has had multiple chances to be the guy and has not performed adequately as a pro RB - and I am a Rodgers owner who is contemplating cutting him. That means there is a void for Freeman to step into. The opportunity is there, and given SJax's point in his career, the opportunity could be large.

At this point being picked in the 4th round means nothing. Seeing how Freeman adapts to the NFL once pads go on and then whether he can fill that void is everything. But the opportunity is there, and that makes Freeman very attractive.
I doubt you deny the draft as a barometer of football talent, albeit imperfectly. Draft status tells how the NFL has evaluated said player. Anecdotes aside, it is easily the most accurate predictor of professional success. Once said player actually plays though, draft status goes out the window. Before a player actually plays games, the draft really is the best thing we've got.

Additionally, draft status shows how teams value their current crop, although the messages don't always have clarity. You have the opinion Freeman indicts Steven Jackson, while I disagree. Atlanta waited till the 4th round to select a running back, which to me doesn't signal urgency. Most likely the Falcons want Freeman to replace Snelling as purely Jackson's back-up. I highly doubt this even ends up as a co-op. Snelling earned 11 carries in games Jackson played; Rodgers got 55. Do you think Freeman is better than either Rodgers or Snelling? Not me, at least not significantly. Nothing about this situation signals a change of the team's single back philosophy, which goes back to the days of Turner.

One of the weakest arguments. What difference does it make what round any player was picked at after the draft is over? At this point it is now all about performance. We can name plenty of 1st round RBs who failed and we can name plenty of lower round/UDFA RBs who had very good or better careers. I guess if you wanted a weaker argument we could compare 40 times or cuteness, but there isn't much to this kind of position.I don't think anyone is projecting that Freeman is going to the Pro Bowl this year. But he by all accounts has performed well so far in OTAs - and yes, that is tees and shorts work only, but it is information about playing as a pro and it is positive news - which means he'll likely get a look at some opportunity that he wouldn't have otherwise. And to deny SJax's incrementally diminished performance given his age and career workload to date and age seems really odd, especially when one acknowledges that his performance last year, which was awful, was due at least in part to injury. Do you think by being another year past 30 and with that many more touches on his resume that he'll be less susceptible to injury and will be more explosive and quicker? And I am a huge admirer of SJax's body of work - huge.

I doubt you deny the draft as a barometer of football talent, albeit imperfectly. Draft status tells how the NFL has evaluated said player. Anecdotes aside, it is easily the most accurate predictor of professional success. Once said player actually plays though, draft status goes out the window. Before a player actually plays games, the draft really is the best thing we've got.

Additionally, draft status shows how teams value their current crop, although the messages don't always have clarity. You have the opinion Freeman indicts Steven Jackson, while I disagree. Atlanta waited till the 4th round to select a running back, which to me doesn't signal urgency. Most likely the Falcons want Freeman to replace Snelling as purely Jackson's back-up. I highly doubt this even ends up as a co-op. Snelling earned 11 carries in games Jackson played; Rodgers got 55. Do you think Freeman is better than either Rodgers or Snelling? Not me, at least not significantly. Nothing about this situation signals a change of the team's single back philosophy, which goes back to the days of Turner.
:hey: I do. At least potentially. Assuming he picks up the mental aspects and blocks well enough, I have no doubt that Freeman has more talent than the others.

He was the 9th RB taken, which means more to me than the round. Behind Archer, West, Sims, McKinnon, etc. So that's worth noting. They're different players, and I think Archer and Sims made more sense for their teams in a tandem with established starters than Freeman would have, but I'm not sure why McKinnon or West were taken over Freeman. I would have thought Freeman would be a better backup for AD than McKinnon but the Vikings thought differently.

I like Freeman enough to take him in an auction for a little less than Hyde, Ben Tate Gerhart and Michael. But there's a lot of risk/reward here.

DEVONTA FREEMAN, RB, FLORIDA STATE (fourth round)

Dimitroff: "He's a versatile back. He has the ability to tote the rock as a lead back. He's a strong guy. He runs with some authority and some anger to his running style. He can catch the ball well. And for us, we thought he was just a real versatile addition to our running back group.''

Smith: "Very impressed with his running ability. I think if you look at his size, the first thing that comes to your mind is he may be a change-of-pace back. That is not the case. You said it in terms of being able to run between the tackles. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He's a very strong runner. He is shorter in stature, but he has great strength. If you really study him, he's probably more effective running with the ball between tackles then he is outside. But when he gets outside, he's able to make people pay because he's got some good speed.''

One of the weakest arguments. What difference does it make what round any player was picked at after the draft is over? At this point it is now all about performance. We can name plenty of 1st round RBs who failed and we can name plenty of lower round/UDFA RBs who had very good or better careers. I guess if you wanted a weaker argument we could compare 40 times or cuteness, but there isn't much to this kind of position.

I don't think anyone is projecting that Freeman is going to the Pro Bowl this year. But he by all accounts has performed well so far in OTAs - and yes, that is tees and shorts work only, but it is information about playing as a pro and it is positive news - which means he'll likely get a look at some opportunity that he wouldn't have otherwise. And to deny SJax's incrementally diminished performance given his age and career workload to date and age seems really odd, especially when one acknowledges that his performance last year, which was awful, was due at least in part to injury. Do you think by being another year past 30 and with that many more touches on his resume that he'll be less susceptible to injury and will be more explosive and quicker? And I am a huge admirer of SJax's body of work - huge.

So FF owners are smart enough to understand value, but NFL management teams have no clue? That's your position?

Unless you saw the ATL scouting reports and draft board, you have no idea what value they put on Freeman. So supposing by using draft slot is inaccurate.

A FF owner who may think Tony Romo is going to have a top 5 QB year but doesn't draft him in the 1st round because of the value QBs have and his perceived value by other FF owners - so he waits and drafts him in the 6th round and uses earlier draft picks on players with higher value because it makes for a more capable and competitive team.

Do you honestly think that NFL teams don't make the same kinds of assessments - only with much more data and collective knowledge and experience along with investigation? You have no idea what value ATL actually put on Freeman, nor do I. To think that their drafting him in the 4th round only makes him a peripheral piece is a leap that I'm guessing you don't have near enough facts to support.

The coach and gm have repeatedly said that they see him as a three down back, lead back, etc. They used to say the same things about jacquizz, but jacquizz has not looked good, and speed is a big factor in that. It might be that freeman isn't that good, either. But I think its clear that the falcons drafted him with the expectation he could eventually be their starting running back and a three down back.

I think its reasonable to question whether this could happen as soon as this year. For that, we need to look at jackson as much as freeman. In his prime jackson obviously runs away with the job. At 31, the concern is that 1) he may break down,but more importantly, 2) the falcons may try to limit his touches because they are afraid he will break down. The falcons used him late last year, but that's not a great indicator because it didn't impact their playoff chances, and it made jackson happy, and kept ryan from getting killed during a season where he was sacked 44 times, after previously being in the top 5 least sacked qbs in the league. They upgraded their o line which should help. And freeman wont play if he can't pass protect. But with talk that he is doing well in pass protection, he may see the field. And the team wont be as quick to run jackson if they see him as a vital cog.

I don't see jackson getting a heavy workload here. And while I can see scenarios where freeman does, it would likely start later in the season. Still, if I can only have one in redraft, I take freeman late and don't depend on him, instead of taking sjax as a potential starter or even as a backup.

One of the weakest arguments. What difference does it make what round any player was picked at after the draft is over? At this point it is now all about performance. We can name plenty of 1st round RBs who failed and we can name plenty of lower round/UDFA RBs who had very good or better careers. I guess if you wanted a weaker argument we could compare 40 times or cuteness, but there isn't much to this kind of position.

I don't think anyone is projecting that Freeman is going to the Pro Bowl this year. But he by all accounts has performed well so far in OTAs - and yes, that is tees and shorts work only, but it is information about playing as a pro and it is positive news - which means he'll likely get a look at some opportunity that he wouldn't have otherwise. And to deny SJax's incrementally diminished performance given his age and career workload to date and age seems really odd, especially when one acknowledges that his performance last year, which was awful, was due at least in part to injury. Do you think by being another year past 30 and with that many more touches on his resume that he'll be less susceptible to injury and will be more explosive and quicker? And I am a huge admirer of SJax's body of work - huge.

So FF owners are smart enough to understand value, but NFL management teams have no clue? That's your position?

Unless you saw the ATL scouting reports and draft board, you have no idea what value they put on Freeman. So supposing by using draft slot is inaccurate.

A FF owner who may think Tony Romo is going to have a top 5 QB year but doesn't draft him in the 1st round because of the value QBs have and his perceived value by other FF owners - so he waits and drafts him in the 6th round and uses earlier draft picks on players with higher value because it makes for a more capable and competitive team.

Do you honestly think that NFL teams don't make the same kinds of assessments - only with much more data and collective knowledge and experience along with investigation? You have no idea what value ATL actually put on Freeman, nor do I. To think that their drafting him in the 4th round only makes him a peripheral piece is a leap that I'm guessing you don't have near enough facts to support.
You sure like to jump around from topic to topic. Are you arguing just to argue? Here is my original post. Let's try to stick to it.

-injury

-slow team start

Nowhere in here am I talking about how good (or bad) Freeman is. I even wentsofar as to call him a solid prospect. I don't know how I got sucked into fifty different debates. That seems to be the motif around here. Attack from all sides. In any case, nothing you post will change my opinion that Atlanta likely won't lean on Freeman SIGNIFICANTLY (hence the word challenge in quotations) unless SJax got hurt or the team started losing lots of games. Will he get some carries? Sure! I was speaking more to the tone of the "report" that SJax was looking over his shoulder after a few wind sprints. What a mess that would create! SJax has more heart and leadership in his pinky than any back on that roster right now. Plus he can still move the chains. One last time. SJax will not play another 7 years. I was speaking specifically about this season (I put that in quotations as well). All this talk about years down the line is pointless. Lastly, no way I draft Freeman in a "redraft" unless I already had SJax. Much better options available IMHO. Moving on to the next thread. My work is done here. I'm going Soulfly.

As mentioned previously, RBs are getting drafted later and later. The past two years the top RBs off the board were in the 2nd round. So if a team is waiting until the 4th round to grab a RB, it doesn't necessarily mean they view him as a 4th round talent, but merely that it is a position that is more fungible and can be waited on.

Users who are viewing this thread