Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

5 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

I think a gem will emerge out of Ozigbo or Robinson this year.

I hope so. My RB crew is hurting for some badly needed talent and/or opportunity. Not to mention an injection of youth. Hard to believe Robinson just sat there for so long until I pulled the auction trigger two weeks ago, which worked out for the minimum. Nobody even blinked. Fournette, Armstead, and Ozigbo were ahead of him at the time.

Enough about me. Back to Freeman. He wants too much money for the player he now is. He's barely functional, at best. Probably good in pass pro. Won't gain anything and will look like Sony Michel did last year, which is horrible. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adding him to the Jets from the free agent pool would simultaneously increase the average skill level of both places.  

Don't do this. It adds nothing to the community. We've all made plenty of good and bad calls (cough... Richardson) over the years and we're also only two weeks in.

I disagree. Freeman had a concussion, and while it's super concerning that he's had multiple incidents this year, this isn't like a high grade sprain or minor tear or a broken bone -- if Freeman is cl

On 9/5/2020 at 6:56 PM, mcintyre1 said:

Hah, yeah, that's fitting. That'd tank what little value Ozigbo/Robinson have, IMO.

They’re not going to sign him. They’re just pretending that they aren’t not trying to win this season.  Not that Freeman would help them win games, but bringing in a vet creates the appearance the team is trying.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I don't think he's better, quite honestly. I'm not sure he can outpace Ozigbo and Robinson at this moment. I do have Robinson in dynasty, though, so that may be coloring my opinion. Everybody wants a free running back that starts.

They made my choice for me when they couldn't agree to a deal. Picked up Robinson. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

They’re not going to sign him. They’re just pretending that they aren’t not trying to win this season.  Not that Freeman would help them win games, but bringing in a vet creates the appearance the team is trying.

The temporary value dip let me double stack Ozigbo and Robinson at the very end of some FanDuel best balls, so that's a bonus. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

I have a gut feeling someone is going to sign him soon.  Would the Colts do it if Mack is out for the year?  They certainly have the capital.  I'm not a big believer in Jordan Wilkins and they will need more than Taylor and Hines IMO.

God I hope not, but the FF gods can be cruel. 

4 minutes ago, -jb- said:

God I hope not, but the FF gods can be cruel. 

I wouldn't worry about Taylor's value if IND signs Freeman.   Freeman is just a shell of himself.  Freeman can easily gobble up 5-6 carries.  Taylor would easily get 15-18 carries if Mack is out for the year.

That said, it all depends on if Freeman is willing to play for about 1M.  That's all he will get in this market.

3 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I have a gut feeling someone is going to sign him soon.  Would the Colts do it if Mack is out for the year?  They certainly have the capital.  I'm not a big believer in Jordan Wilkins and they will need more than Taylor and Hines IMO.

Why don't you like Wilkins? He looked good last year. He only has 111 career carries, but has averaged 5.8 ypc on those carries. I can't imagine Freeman being value added for the Colts. I would think there are a number of practice squad RBs who would be better.

15 minutes ago, Faust said:

IG: Josina Anderson @JosinaAnderson

Just got off the phone with free agent RB Devonta Freeman. He tells me, "I'm ready for whatever team needs a vet." Freeman adds, he's currently choosing between among 4 teams.

https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1305584921168183297?s=21

Fixed - sorry, pet peeve. :bag:

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, YoUnG GuNz said:

Visiting Philly. Would assume he would automatically be their thumper.  If he signs he would definitely be rosterable as a lotto ticket if Miles were to get banged up (he already is). I'd scoop him in 12+ team leagues.

I wouldn’t assume that at all. He’ll be lucky to see the field if he signs, which I’m skeptical of. 

stranger things have happened, but it’s been a while since Freeman was good. 

As for Sanders being “banged up” he practiced in full all week & literally said he’s 100% today. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I wouldn’t assume that at all. He’ll be lucky to see the field if he signs, which I’m skeptical of. 

As for Sanders being “banged up” he practiced in full all week & literally said he’s 100% today. 

If I am Miles I am saying I am 100% knowing Freeman in the building in case I am not fully ready to go.

Miles didnt play week 1. He can say hes 100% all he wants but you dont miss a game with a muscle injury if you're anywhere remotely close to 100% healthy. The Eagles offense needs an 85% Sanders to help them win ball games. But to say that Freeman wouldnt automatically be rotated in if he signs would be an ignorant take. Doug likes a guy that can get the tough yards - Mile's is incredibly talented but he doesn't do that well just yet. BoScott/Clement certainly don't fit that mold either. I think it would be a good pickup for philly 

Edited by YoUnG GuNz
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, YoUnG GuNz said:

Miles didnt play week 1. He can say hes 100% all he wants but you dont miss a game with a muscle injury if you're anywhere remotely close to 100% healthy. The Eagles offense needs an 85% Sanders to help them win ball games. But to say that Freeman wouldnt automatically be rotated in if he signs would be an ignorant take. Doug likes a guy that can get the tough yards - Mile's is incredibly talented but he doesn't do that well just yet. BoScott/Clement certainly don't fit that mold either. I think it would be a good pickup for philly 

He practiced. In full. 4 days in a row.

its not just Sanders declaring himself 100%. The team said he’s practiced in full all week.

this isn’t complicated. Y’all are over-complicating it.  Miles Sanders is the starring RB for the Eagles and Coach has said he wants him to be the centerpiece of the offense.

they aren’t going to bring in a street free agent and give him all sorts of touches and/or redesign the offense around him. 

He hasn’t signed with them. If he does it’s because they were not impressed with Scott or Clement. He’s a backup. at best. And at this point of his career, he’s not really an upgrade to either of the Boston backups.

He practiced. In full. 4 days in a row.

its not just Sanders declaring himself 100%. The team said he’s practiced in full all week.

this isn’t complicated. Y’all are over-complicating it.  Miles Sanders is the starring RB for the Eagles and Coach has said he wants him to be the centerpiece of the offense.

they aren’t going to bring in a street free agent and give him all sorts of touches and/or redesign the offense around him. 

He hasn’t signed with them. If he does it’s because they were not impressed with Scott or Clement. He’s a backup. at best. And at this point of his career, he’s not really an upgrade to either of the Boston backups.

As a Philly fan I disagree that's all. Think Freeman would compliment Sanders in ways Scott/Clement cant.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, YoUnG GuNz said:

As a Philly fan I disagree that's all. Think Freeman would compliment Sanders in ways Scott/Clement cant.

Ok. We’ll see what happens. If he signs. As a philly fan I’m surprised you haven’t heard Pederson talk about how “Sanders is our guy” and describing how the offense would flow through him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-doug-pederson-confirms-miles-sanders-is-our-guy-and-has-a-new-wrinkle-in-offense-for-him/

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
4 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

59/410/4 just receiving last year and he only played 56% of the snaps. Not sure what happened rushing the ball, he really fell off. 

I find it hard to believe he is really choosing among 4 teams, I thought he was waiting to pounce on an injury that hits a team. Be it week 3, 6, whenever. 

• Like 1

Here is an article from an Eagles site regarding Freeman.  The Falcons didn’t think Freeman could help them and took a $6 million dead money cap hit when they released him and took their chances with Gurley instead.   Also, the Eagles might just be getting in a better position to sign Freeman in case something negative happens to the backfield this Sunday.

Devonta Freeman

• Like 1

This is all about protecting Carson.  Scott and Clement were AWFUL at that last week.  He's a definite upgrade on Scott and Clement if even just to come in and block and catch some balls out of the backfield.  That's not even factoring in Miles' injury which yes I agree he's "okay", but no chance he is 100%.  If he tweeks it then Philly signing Freeman is a no brainer.  If he doesn't, I still think he's good to bring in for 5-8 touches a game if he can pass block.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, YoUnG GuNz said:

Has Freeman ever been a guy that got tough yards? He’s the same size as Sanders isn’t he? That’s not saying the Eagles won’t sign Freeman and use him - I’m just not getting Freeman in the bruiser role.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Has Freeman ever been a guy that got tough yards? He’s the same size as Sanders isn’t he? That’s not saying the Eagles won’t sign Freeman and use him - I’m just not getting Freeman in the bruiser role.

Once upon a time...

1 minute ago, I-ROK said:

He turned down his highest offer (Seattle) and is basically doubling down as to not admit that was a mistake by taking a lower deal. It was about money with Seattle and I imagine it’s about money now

He did fire Drew Rosenhaus, so maybe he decided he wanted to play football this year after all. :shrug: 

seems weird that the teams with a more pressing need didn’t bother with him. Jets would rather roll out 67 year old Gore with Ballage than Freeman?  DET went with Methuselah Peterson over Freeman? Did NEP suddenly stop wanting reclamation RB projects? MIA? SEA seemed like a great fit - I can’t imagine choosing Hyde over Freeman so clearly he wasn’t picking up what they were putting down. Titans could use a COP/breather back behind Henry & don’t have much besides the rookie.

So many potential landing spots & he’s still unemployed headed into week 2. 

10 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

He did fire Drew Rosenhaus, so maybe he decided he wanted to play football this year after all. :shrug: 

seems weird that the teams with a more pressing need didn’t bother with him. Jets would rather roll out 67 year old Gore with Ballage than Freeman?  DET went with Methuselah Peterson over Freeman? Did NEP suddenly stop wanting reclamation RB projects? MIA? SEA seemed like a great fit - I can’t imagine choosing Hyde over Freeman so clearly he wasn’t picking up what they were putting down. Titans could use a COP/breather back behind Henry & don’t have much besides the rookie.

So many potential landing spots & he’s still unemployed headed into week 2. 

He hired Rosenhaus...fired previous representation.  In fact, previous previous representation may have fired him.

Edited by TheDirtyWord
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

He hired Rosenhaus...fired previous representation.  In fact, previous previous representation may have fired him.

Oh - jeez I got that backwards. In that case he’s screwed because ain’t nobody gonna pay Drew Rosenhaus money for no Devonte Freeman. 

12 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

There’s also the possibility that Freeman has made enough money and doesn’t want to subject himself to a dangerous sport if it’s not worth his time. I can respect that if that’s what’s going on. 

Then why’s he going on the 32 team tour tryna find a j-o-b?

I’m pretty sure that no non-QB has ever made “enough money” in the history of ever. lol

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Then why’s he going on the 32 team tour tryna find a j-o-b?

I’m pretty sure that no non-QB has ever made “enough money” in the history of ever. lol

He’s seeing what’s out there and if anyone will pay him enough to make it worth his time. He has talents that are worth money. He might not want to subject himself to the dangers of that profession unless he is paid enough to make it worth his time. Can’t fault him for shopping around. Don’t we all do this when we apply for jobs? I applied for several jobs a couple years ago and declined all of them because it wasn’t worth my time financially. I was just fine with the status quo.

If he really wanted to play so badly I imagine he would be signed. He is obviously holding out for the right scenario and I imagine it’s possible that his own valuation of what’s worth his time is not the same as teams. He he made plenty of money, and if he’s smart he doesn’t need to play football anymore

no one has ever made enough money who is a non QB? We can site several players who retired early. Many of them out of concern for their safety, but if they didn’t have enough money, and needed football, they wouldn’t have walked away 

Edited by I-ROK
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

no one has ever made enough money who is a non QB? We can site several players who retired early. Many of them out of concern for their safety, but if they didn’t have enough money, and needed football, they wouldn’t have walked away 

Freeman has made $24.25MM during his career - obviously that’s enough money to live a decent lifestyle for the rest of his life, assuming he has a financial advisor to help him out. It’s also not like he couldn’t make some money working for one of the 500 media outlets broadcasting or covering the NFL - or even some other job outside of football. I think it’s clear he’s not going to settle for less than what he thinks he’s worth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

in some cases it’s money, in some cases it’s passion. There are players who played hard and riskEd further injury because of the love of the game. I don’t think Frank gore needs the money... 

There are other players who is injuries prevented them from continuing to play.

The only player truly in a prime position of their career to earn a ton of money to hang it up that I can think of is Andrew luck. And there’s probably much more to his injuries than the general public is aware.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Freeman has made $24.25MM during his career - obviously that’s enough money to live a decent lifestyle for the rest of his life, assuming he has a financial advisor to help him out. It’s also not like he couldn’t make some money working for one of the 500 media outlets broadcasting or covering the NFL - or even some other job outside of football. I think it’s clear he’s not going to settle for less than what he thinks he’s worth.

Not every player is well-suited to broadcasting. Eric Dickerson was downright horrible. Similarly, not every player is well-suited to coaching either.

but I agree completely with the latter part of this post. I don’t think he’s going to play for less than he thinks he’s worth. Further, I think he’s looking for “starter“ money. Obviously, that’s potentially going to prevent him from getting a job.

4 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

in some cases it’s money, in some cases it’s passion. There are players who played hard and riskEd further injury because of the love of the game. I don’t think Frank gore needs the money... 

There are other players who is injuries prevented them from continuing to play.

The only player truly in a prime position of their career to earn a ton of money to hang it up that I can think of is Andrew luck. And there’s probably much more to his injuries than the general public is aware.

Luke Kuechly? Chris Borland, while he didn’t make a fortune, felt it wasn’t worth the money (he walked away from an expected boat load in contract 2). Calvin Johnson. Robert Smith. Barry Sanders... we can go on. 

I can’t tell if you have this image of Freeman wanting to play so badly but no team is willing to give him a shot. I think he has enough money for himself, realizes he doesn’t need to play for less than his price, and as Octopus said- he has many other avenues to make money. I’m sure 32 teams would sign him if he wanted the veterans minimum. But he doesn’t. 

Edited by I-ROK
6 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

Luke Kuechly? Chris Borland, while he didn’t make a fortune, felt it wasn’t worth the money. Calvin Johnson. Robert Smith. Barry Sanders... we can go on. 

I can’t tell if you have this image of Freeman wanting to play so badly but no team is willing to give him a shot. I think he has enough money for himself, realizes he doesn’t need to play for less than his price, and as Octopus said- he has many other avenues to make money. I’m sure 32 teams would sign him if he wanted the veterans minimum. But he doesn’t. 

I don’t think any of us are in disagreement about that. And for starter money, and I don’t think any team is going to want to pay him starter money. And with Drew Rosenhaus as an agent, that only complicates it further. Unless suddenly Rosenhaus is going to be sensible with a client about what they’re worth… I’m 100% certain Rosenhaus has made enough money. LOL 

Luke Kuechly also retired due to injury. I think he had the passion for the game but his body would no longer cooperate. Barry Sanders lost his passion for the game (probably because Detroit could never build a good enough team around him) - and all of those cases it was either a lack of health or passion.

I’ve read more than a few articles about players and their money. $24 million sounds like a lot of money to a schlub like me… But by the time the agent gets his cut, the player pays taxes, & buy houses for their mom and brother and sister and cousin, loan their uncle $ for that start-up, etc,there often really isn’t all that much left. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’ve read more than a few articles about players and their money. $24 million sounds like a lot of money to a schlub like me… But by the time the agent gets his cut, the player pays taxes, & buy houses for their mom and brother and sister and cousin, loan their uncle $ for that start-up, etc,there often really isn’t all that much left. 

Oh I agree 100%, which is why I tried to preface my statement by saying that if he were smart, he would have enough money. Most of these guys aren’t smart, however, or they get flat out robbed (AP)

• Like 1
Just now, I-ROK said:

Oh I agree 100%, which is why I tried to preface my statement by saying that if he were smart, he would have enough money. Most of these guys aren’t smart, however, or they get flat out robbed (AP)

Yeah, not to get too far off-topic, but it’s often a very sad story. Like lottery winners. A shockingly high number of lottery winners end up broke AF within a couple years. 

• Like 1

Free agent Devonta Freeman is scheduled to visit with the Giants Tuesday. 

Having lost Saquon Barkley to a possible ACL tear, the Giants will work out Freeman this week as part of a potential committee to replace Barkley. Dion Lewis saw 15 rushes and caught four of five targets after Barkley went down against the Bears in Week 2. Lewis would probably hold on to passing down work, with Freeman being a candidate for early down work. Freeman should be a low-priority waiver claim in deeper formats. 

- Rotoworld

As a Giants fan, this is the best case scenario for me. Dion Lewis isn't the answer. Wayne Gallman Jr. his rookie year looked pretty ok and was actually billed as a long-striding version of Devonta Freeman regarding his running style. Then last year happened and he flopped hard behind a bad O-Line. I'm not sure if Judge and the new staff believe in him, but a vet who can pass block better than Gallman Jr. would help.

Edited by The Frankman
On 9/19/2020 at 9:23 AM, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I don’t think any of us are in disagreement about that. And for starter money, and I don’t think any team is going to want to pay him starter money. And with Drew Rosenhaus as an agent, that only complicates it further. Unless suddenly Rosenhaus is going to be sensible with a client about what they’re worth… I’m 100% certain Rosenhaus has made enough money. LOL 

Luke Kuechly also retired due to injury. I think he had the passion for the game but his body would no longer cooperate. Barry Sanders lost his passion for the game (probably because Detroit could never build a good enough team around him) - and all of those cases it was either a lack of health or passion.

You should read the article about Cowboys lineman Tyron Smith and what his family tried to do to him with regards to his money,  He put his foot down and said no

• Like 1

This feels like the exact scenario that Freeman has been holding out for. Didn't he get some offers and turn them down? We all thought he was overvaluing himself and apparently his agent did too, but I imagine the guy knew a spot would open up by means of injury and then he'd have a lot of power in negotiations. 

I went ahead and dropped Bryan Edwards today to pickup Freeman just to wait and see. 

Really feels like he'll be a Giant by week's end.