What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (4 Viewers)

Back in the 90's, I used one of these for a few seasons, but it got to be a pain in the butt keeping the old blades sharp.

I switched to an electric with a cord. The thing eventually died on me. I have been using a gas mower since. I really need to try one of these newer cordless ones out.
We had one for twenty years.  The first one lasted about fifteen years.  When it went, I got a new one on Amazon.  I never thought I would care about a lawn mower, but they were great.  (Black and Decker FYI.)

we've all got our commuting peeves... most of you drive, I walk, subway and bike (NYC).

as you sane people could imagine, the unwritten obvious code for getting onto the subway is to stand to the side of the doors on the platform as people get out, and then get in- moving into the car as far as possible to allow the people behind to gain access and to avoid standing in the doorway for the subsequent stops. seems obvious, right? right. if we're in a packed train and forced to stand near the door, we'll get out at the next stop to make room, and then get back in.

today, the second train was packed at arrival- but I know most people get out at the stop, so we stay immediately to the side as the horde pours out- to be fair, taking longer than normal- tons of people. the people on the other side of the door floppinha (7) and I are waiting at starting pushing in as people are still getting off- this creates a one way (instead of two) exit for the remaining people, further slowing things down for my side. but we wait, because I can see there aren't that many more people exiting. 

blonde millennial girl who just showed up tries to push past my daughter into the train as people are still leaving. nope. I move myself in front of her. she tries to push past me, and I tell her to wait and not push past little girls while people are still exiting or ever. sour-face glare. then, as a total shocker, she gets on behind us and stands in the door instead of moving in- blocking the people who are still trying to get in. so I let her know it makes sense somebody who's rude enough to run down a little girl to get onto a train is going to be rude and oblivious enough to camp out in the door while people are still trying to get on. more sour face glares. tbh, it didn't make me feel better- feel like she had absolutely no idea what she was doing was idiotic, selfish and rude. a well timed shoulder as we got off might have... but probably not. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge pet peeve - companies that have unlimited vacation policy...but don't allow working from home.  They're essentially telling you that if you have a reason that you need to be at home, you're going to have to lie to everyone and pretend that you're not actually doing any work.

Huge pet peeve - companies that have unlimited vacation policy...but don't allow working from home.  They're essentially telling you that if you have a reason that you need to be at home, you're going to have to lie to everyone and pretend that you're not actually doing any work.
i'm gonna need this one to be fleshed out

unlimited vacation is bad?

there's a need to work from home while you're on vacation?

hot take sports guy at the office who just rains down sports radio hot takes and tries to force people in to arguing with him about them :hot:

even if you say "brah, i'm not talking about that with you. not now. not ever. i'm busy and i don't want to argue sizzling hot hockey takes ever in my life." he will just keep hammering at angles until you leave the door open just enough for him to barge through with his original, exciting and incendiary opinions.

DIAF

hot take sports guy at the office who just rains down sports radio hot takes and tries to force people in to arguing with him about them :hot:

even if you say "brah, i'm not talking about that with you. not now. not ever. i'm busy and i don't want to argue sizzling hot hockey takes ever in my life." he will just keep hammering at angles until you leave the door open just enough for him to barge through with his original, exciting and incendiary opinions.

DIAF
which FFA poster is that?

i'm gonna need this one to be fleshed out

unlimited vacation is bad?

there's a need to work from home while you're on vacation?
The scenario where this ends up being a really stupid combination is if I have a doctor's appointment or something that requires me to be home for part of the day, but I have a lot of work to get done.  I worked at one company where I would have had to either NOT get the work done or get it done while pretending I was taking the day off.

The scenario where this ends up being a really stupid combination is if I have a doctor's appointment or something that requires me to be home for part of the day, but I have a lot of work to get done.  I worked at one company where I would have had to either NOT get the work done or get it done while pretending I was taking the day off.
you can't just go to a doctor's appointment without taking a day off? is that what you're saying? pretty terrible if so.

you can't just go to a doctor's appointment without taking a day off? is that what you're saying? pretty terrible if so.
im not one to diminish ones pet peeves but i just dont understand it. Like you can't just go to the doctor - then go to work. leave work for a couple hours and go back etc etc

either way, cutting the grass so that you shoot grass all over the road makes the home owners look stupid.  
Guy down the street from me just cut his grass for the second time this year (yep, only twice).  Both times he has done so, he has shot the cut grass all over the road.  Also he has 3 foot tall weeds growing in the crack between the road and the curb all along the front of his house.  Also has his boat sitting in the front yard on the trailer, huge dead spot of grass right under it, and 3 foot tall grass around the edges where his mower can't get to, and he doesn't edge/weedeat.

Never seen the owner outside, so I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume it's an elderly or disabled person who physically isn't capable of yardwork, and not just a lazy slob like it probably is...

People that have zero concept of where they are.

Just spoke to a woman at a welding supply store. After speaking with her I am pretty sure they have what I want so I am going to head there. I looked up the phone number and saw that the address was. I was pretty sure I knew where it was, but wanted to be sure. So I asked her if they were located right by a lexus dealership. She said she thought so but wasnt sure. I then asked if they were located right off of bluemound road, she said "I dont know the city that well, let me just look on a map". I think to myself, I can just do that after we get off the phone, but I decide to just let her look it up. So she proceeds to tell me they are located by the Wisconsin Athletic Club. 

Anybody see what is wrong with that description?  

She told me she doesn't know the area that well "just knows the way she drives to work". 

People that have zero concept of where they are.

Just spoke to a woman at a welding supply store. After speaking with her I am pretty sure they have what I want so I am going to head there. I looked up the phone number and saw that the address was. I was pretty sure I knew where it was, but wanted to be sure. So I asked her if they were located right by a lexus dealership. She said she thought so but wasnt sure. I then asked if they were located right off of bluemound road, she said "I dont know the city that well, let me just look on a map". I think to myself, I can just do that after we get off the phone, but I decide to just let her look it up. So she proceeds to tell me they are located by the Wisconsin Athletic Club. 

Anybody see what is wrong with that description?  

She told me she doesn't know the area that well "just knows the way she drives to work". 
To be fair, she may not be able to do better than that.  Some people lack the part of the brain that processes maps and directions.  It's not necessarily a smarts issue.

To be fair, she may not be able to do better than that.  Some people lack the part of the brain that processes maps and directions.  It's not necessarily a smarts issue.
To be fair? 

The lexus service center is pretty much right next to her. There is also a massive dealership right by where she has to turn. Bluemound road is like the biggest center of commerce in pretty much the whole state. The city of brookfield has the third highest aggregate real estate value in the state behind milwaukee and madison just because of bluemound. 

So first she has to not know that the way to work drives on blue mound road since if you look at the map there is literally no other way to get there. She also has to not know that she works right by a lexus dealership. Then on top of that, when she looks at a map of where she works, the first thing she sees is an athletic club that is on the OTHER SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY that you cant get to without driving all the way down to another road and crossing the highway.

No. You can't defend the obliviousness of this woman. 

You wouldn't happen to be one of those people "missing that part of the brain," would you?
Nope.  Mr R and I are top-notch navigators.  We have a really smart friend who just has no clue where anything is when he gets out of the small area he knows.  He has no idea where he is and has no coping skills to deal with it.

Nope.  Mr R and I are top-notch navigators.  We have a really smart friend who just has no clue where anything is when he gets out of the small area he knows.  He has no idea where he is and has no coping skills to deal with it.
Well, since I can't lob pot shots at you, I will agree.  I had a friend in middle school I would hang out at the mall with.  We'd do a lap around the mall, then go in a store we wanted to look at.  We'd leave the store and he would inevitably either walk back the direction we came, or stop and look around to get his bearings.  I'm thinking the whole time "you can't remember which direction we came from three minutes ago?"

Well, since I can't lob pot shots at you, I will agree.  I had a friend in middle school I would hang out at the mall with.  We'd do a lap around the mall, then go in a store we wanted to look at.  We'd leave the store and he would inevitably either walk back the direction we came, or stop and look around to get his bearings.  I'm thinking the whole time "you can't remember which direction we came from three minutes ago?"
i'm this guy but only in malls. i think because my brain turns off after 45 minutes in the same store. 

mostly if i've been somewhere once i can find my way back there from any other starting point. but put me in a mall, shopping for hours and my brain just shuts off. 

Right door in

Right door out

You left door in and out people make for awkward times at the convenience store in the morning
Ran into one of these nimrods over the weekend.  He was of course locked in on his phone as he's going through the door.  Since he's "wrong" I just plow past him making him look up from his phone.  I thought he would realize his mistake and then either move to the right to let my wife and kid come out the door, but no he plows in after me making them move out of his way. :rolleyes:

Right door in

Right door out

You left door in and out people make for awkward times at the convenience store in the morning
this is especially true on NYC sidewalks. just stay to the right. they're like your streets... stay to the right, pass on the left, pull over to the side if you have to stop, don't take up the whole width of the sidewalk with your group. 

and of course- if you're moving around in this country- just stay to the right, including exiting doors. 

and yeah- my least favorite is walking into double (both operational) to the right, holding the door for my wife and kids and then having the usually millennial girl think I'm holding it for her (because entitled) and pushes through my family coming through the door.  the door to her left. 

Farmers market etiquette. When it's busy and there are people waiting to buy from a particular farmer, don't stand there for 10 minutes and ask about their sustainable farming techniques and do they enjoy farming and do they use pesticides or illegal child labor not to mention how good is the soil where you farm and do you use bottled water to water your crops or do you use that acid rain that Trump's government is dropping out of the sky....

When the garbage men come early.

I mean, they recommend you get your trash out the night before, but since they haven't come by before noon in at least the last year, I've gotten used to taking it out when I leave the house in the morning.  :ptts:   Then it sucks when you wake up to the sound of the truck going down your street.

I mean, they recommend you get your trash out the night before, but since they haven't come by before noon in at least the last year, I've gotten used to taking it out when I leave the house in the morning.  :ptts:   Then it sucks when you wake up to the sound of the truck going down your street.
they are at our house around 6:30am - if it's not out the night before it stays in the freezer for another week. 

Do they pick up the trash if animals get into it? 

People that try to shake hands in situations they shouldnt.

Two situations in the past month where i ran into people i hadnt seen in a while. 

First was at lunch. Guy i used to work with is eating a burger. A big sloppy mess of a burger. Sees me walking by to my table and promptly stands up and extends his hand. I shake it. Get a wet hand. Am like wtf? Realize he is still holding burger in left hand as he is awkwardly leaning to keep it right above the plate and i just got ketchup and mayo'd or whatever other slop is on the burger. 

Second was at a friends house where i helped him move a fridge. Plumber was there snaking the main drain out to the sewer. We walk into basement and it turns out plumber was a guy i went to high school with.

Hey hows it goin, reaches out his hand. 

Dude. You were literally just touching poop. 

parasaurolophus said:
People that try to shake hands in situations they shouldnt.

Two situations in the past month where i ran into people i hadnt seen in a while. 

First was at lunch. Guy i used to work with is eating a burger. A big sloppy mess of a burger. Sees me walking by to my table and promptly stands up and extends his hand. I shake it. Get a wet hand. Am like wtf? Realize he is still holding burger in left hand as he is awkwardly leaning to keep it right above the plate and i just got ketchup and mayo'd or whatever other slop is on the burger. 

Second was at a friends house where i helped him move a fridge. Plumber was there snaking the main drain out to the sewer. We walk into basement and it turns out plumber was a guy i went to high school with.

Hey hows it goin, reaches out his hand. 

Dude. You were literally just touching poop. 
fist bumps would have sufficed

parasaurolophus said:
Do they pick up the trash if animals get into it? 
Only the stuff the animals kindly leave in the can. 

It's that plus the snow and plows (in addition to the late pickup time) that have me usually take it out in the morning. 

This slow people using the middle lane thing is getting out of hand.   Every day into work there is some old fart, semi, or people pulling a boat/RV chilling in the middle lane going 60-65 while everybody is weaving around them on both sides.    Maybe it's a WI thing, but it's for sure getting worse around here.  

Okay... so your pulling up to a stop light at a busy intersection and need to make a left hand turn, but the left hand turn lane only handles like 10 cars and the car in front of you is car 10 in the lane you are in, BUT WON'T MOVE UP ENOUGH so that you can squeeze into the left hand lane, so you wind up missing the light.  

F U and everyone like you.  They always have half to a full car length to move up and never do. WTF is wrong with you people?

What I'm starting to notice more and more is moronic people at four way stops not using their turn signal.  I once saw my father in law do this, and assumed it was an old person mistake.  Now I'm seeing young people do it.  They do not turn on their signal until they start pulling out from the stop sign and making their turn.  Dimwad, I know you are turning once your car changes direction, the signal is to let people know ahead of time!  Idiots.

What I'm starting to notice more and more is moronic people at four way stops not using their turn signal.  I once saw my father in law do this, and assumed it was an old person mistake.  Now I'm seeing young people do it.  They do not turn on their signal until they start pulling out from the stop sign and making their turn.  Dimwad, I know you are turning once your car changes direction, the signal is to let people know ahead of time!  Idiots.
There's a 4 way stop down the road from my house, no lights at all just stop signs.  I encounter one of two enraging scenarios each time I go to it. 

Scenario 1 - I pull up to the stop just after another car does, but that car wants to "be nice" and just sits there for a second.  Then as soon as I motion to them to go on, they motion for me to go on, as if to say "no no, look how nice I am, I'm letting you go".   You got there first idiot, you go first, and let's get on with our day....

Scenario 2 - multiple cars approaching it from all directions.  West car goes, South car goes, East car goes, then just as North car starts to move the 2nd West car decides it's his turn and he jumps out into the intersection causing North to stop.  Then South who hasn't been paying attention thinks it's his turn because he's after West, so he goes, but North thinks it's his turn because he got skipped, so both go, then both slam brakes bc of the other one, and I just marvel at the fact that grown humans can't put their phones down for long enough to figure out how to operate a 4 way stop

Scenario 1 - I pull up to the stop just after another car does, but that car wants to "be nice" and just sits there for a second.  Then as soon as I motion to them to go on, they motion for me to go on, as if to say "no no, look how nice I am, I'm letting you go".   You got there first idiot, you go first, and let's get on with our day....
People ignoring traffic rules and flow of traffic trying to "be nice" are probably the cause of most traffic jams.  Just go, I'll take care of myself.

Okay... so your pulling up to a stop light at a busy intersection and need to make a left hand turn, but the left hand turn lane only handles like 10 cars and the car in front of you is car 10 in the lane you are in, BUT WON'T MOVE UP ENOUGH so that you can squeeze into the left hand lane, so you wind up missing the light.  

F U and everyone like you.  They always have half to a full car length to move up and never do. WTF is wrong with you people?
They don't want to drift in the car in front of them while texting. Seriously. This issue has grown a hundred-fold since the invention of texting.

Is that how you guys do it?  Here in Ohio we go two at a time, North/South and then East/West.  I know that's not the law, but it seems like everyone knows it's most efficient.
First come, first serve.  Or if you get there at the same time, left yields to right. 

That seems to work 90% of the time here. 

Is that how you guys do it?  Here in Ohio we go two at a time, North/South and then East/West.  I know that's not the law, but it seems like everyone knows it's most efficient.
We’ll sometimes get the two at a time like you mentioned, but it’s rare because one of them is turning left so the opposite has to wait, or you just can’t trust that the other guy isn’t going to turn left just because you don’t see a blinker on. So it becomes a one at a time thing (not always clockwise or counterclockwise, usually just by however it started)

In other traffic annoyances, today some charming individual in a pickup just couldn't wait in the turn lane under the freeway behind an RV.  He pulled into the straight ahead lane and pulled ahead of the RV while in the underpass.  He still had to wait for the turn signal, just like the rest of us.  Idiot.

When people (my wife and all her sisters for example) set bowls/platters of food out from which people will then load up their own plates buffet-style, is it that hard to match functionally-appropriate serving utensils with each?

Wtf is a pair of tongs doing in the bowl of rice? Why is there a regular fork you eat with in the dish of green beans?? And get that leaky slotted spoon the #### out of the saucy baked beans!!! My Lord. 

May be on an island here, but I'm on a resort vacation with my 14 year old son (and was last Summer as well this time of year).  Dads....please don't let your 13-16 year old daughter wear thong bikinis.  It's all I can do to help my son not live in a fantasy land of pron.  When girls around his age are prancing around the pool in thong bikinis it's tough enough for me, a LOW T 45 year old.  Let alone, my 14 year old son has zero chance.  And most every time dad is laying there on his pool chair looking at his phone while his daughter pulls the American Beauty out there.  C'mon!!

People who get mad for you not texting them right back but then you wait forever for them to get back to you

People who you ask if they are coming over and say they are never to come over nor give a text/Call saying hey can't make it. Then next day text you sorry I fell asleep. SURE YOU DID....

Customers who leave a basket or shopping cart in the middle of the lane and don't take it with them blocking the next customer from going in line. 

Slow walking people and those who suddenly stop to send a text. I'm on a sidewalk trying to get somewhere can you not block me and others from getting to where we need to be. 

People who promise something but never have any intentions of following through. 

Way too happy people. You know the ones who are always way too happy then annoy you to death about why you don't look happy and trying to get in on whatever is bother you who don't even know you. 

Users who are viewing this thread