WR Martavis Bryant, Toronto Argonauts

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you feel about calculus?

NEWS:   Speaking Thursday, Martavis Bryant declined comment on reports that he is facing another suspension. Advice: "I don’t know nothing about none of that," Bryant said. It's hardly

Earlier in this thread I believe I referred to him having a ten cent head. I may have overestimated that value

Offered my 1.04 for Bryant yesterday, got declined. Not quite sure how far off that might be but worth mentioning as it wasn't good enough.

Thrifty's ADP data (thanks thrifty, you rock) https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/738724-dynasty-adp/

Pick value chart http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2014/03/14/updated-rookie-trade-value-chart/

Not close.

How are those remotely related?

Offered my 1.04 for Bryant yesterday, got declined. Not quite sure how far off that might be but worth mentioning as it wasn't good enough.

Thrifty's ADP data (thanks thrifty, you rock) https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/738724-dynasty-adp/

Pick value chart http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2014/03/14/updated-rookie-trade-value-chart/

Not close.

How are those remotely related?

A great feature to playing in dynasty is that managers have their own values to players. Because of this, when initiating trade talks, I usually go to the most recent ADP values. If MartyB is valued at pick 21 and the 1.04 is valued at pick 56, then the perceived value is significantly off.

Now does that mean the owner of MartyB values him as pick 21, no, so it never hurts to ask. You may find a guppy to take advantage of (see completed dynasty trade thread) but there is a growing attitude that 'bad' initial trade offers are not even worth responding to. So, if I truly wanted to begin negotiations to acquire the pick 21 asset, I would add a significant amount to the pick 56 asset.

A great feature to playing in dynasty is that managers have their own values to players. Because of this, when initiating trade talks, I usually go to the most recent ADP values. If MartyB is valued at pick 21 and the 1.04 is valued at pick 56, then the perceived value is significantly off.

Now does that mean the owner of MartyB values him as pick 21, no, so it never hurts to ask. You may find a guppy to take advantage of (see completed dynasty trade thread) but there is a growing attitude that 'bad' initial trade offers are not even worth responding to. So, if I truly wanted to begin negotiations to acquire the pick 21 asset, I would add a significant amount to the pick 56 asset.

I understood this completely, but I never saw the ADP column on the DFL link. That chart is pretty off IMO, because the 1.01 in the last two years of the DFL ADP chart ended up at 20 or 19 the last two years, and that spread is much steeper than I recall. I can't find the data I saved, and they are now behind a paywall, but I at least get your point. The data is still too rough for me to draw any correlations - small sample size on the mocks, no rookies in the mocks, questionable pick value chart - but at least I see where you get your conclusion from. I'd buy it more if the data were better, but alas that's the biggest challenge (and thrill) in assessing dynasty values.

I do agree Bryant is worth more than the 1.04 but it's not significantly more. AB is the target hog there, and will be for a long time, and Bryant carries risk with the Substance Abuse program.

I do agree Bryant is worth more than the 1.04 but it's not significantly more.

Help me understand this

I'm in the same boat, I thought I had a realistic chance at him accepting 1.04 for Martavis. AB is the undisputed #1 on that team no matter how much Bryant improves, and with a healthy Bell back next year it's hard imagining Bryant catches north of 90 balls (probably even being generous there). He's devalued in ppr. Catch totals are 26 and 50 for both years which isn't exactly top15 numbers as some are so quickly to decalre him as. Even if he does get better, which is very likely, 90 balls and 1000yds is probably his limit as long as he's in Pittsburgh with Antonio. I understand he missed 5 games, but that whole team relied on Martavis more than they normally would with Ben out some games and Bell out most of the season. He's still the #3 option on that team no matter how you slice it.

He is one misguided 4:20 away from missing a season and putting his career in jeopardy. I have him on my main dynasty roster, but as good as his potential may be, that is a factor that I would weigh if presented with a solid offer. I think he is worth less than his potential would otherwise dictate.

• Like 1

He is one misguided 4:20 away from missing a season and putting his career in jeopardy. I have him on my main dynasty roster, but as good as his potential may be, that is a factor that I would weigh if presented with a solid offer. I think he is worth less than his potential would otherwise dictate.

What's a solid offer? Guy offered me Bryant for David Johnson. Thought about countering w/D Martin. Too much, too little?

not a Bryant owner, view him as a Tier 3 WR, which places him just outside the top 12 ish. Not sure if he will get the targets every week, but he can single handily win a week.

carries significant upside and downside.

in terms of picks, no lower than the 1.02, maybe 1.03 depending on how the draft goes

Someone explain to me how you're moving a kid who has shown to be quite monstrous, in a ridiculously high powered offense, for 1.03-1.04

Why are you trading proven, high output commodities for... Kids? Especially is this piss poor draft class

Someone explain to me how you're moving a kid who has shown to be quite monstrous, in a ridiculously high powered offense, for 1.03-1.04

Why are you trading proven, high output commodities for... Kids? Especially is this piss poor draft class

I feel like 1.2/1.3 is fair value personally.

He left us this season on a very high note. He was completely useless for the 2-3 weeks prior though. Had he not had that huge game (with AB out and no RBs), the 1.2 would look very appealing right now to just about everyone IMO.

I would love for you to be right and for MB to be the next Randy Moss, but I am just not convinced. For the foreseeable future, he is the clear WR2 on his team, and arguably the third option in the passing game when Bell comes back. Add in the very high risk that this guy - who has by no means proven that he isnt a complete knucklehead - hits the pipe "just one more time" and pulls a Justin Blackmon on us.

I love watching him with the ball in his hands, and he definitely flashes total stud potential. No argument there. I traded Calvin for MB+ before the season started, and I am psyched about that trade right now. But I am tempering expectations a bit more than others appear to be. He still carries substantial risk, probably no less than the 1.2/1.3 does.

Edited by ChuckLiddell

He's a king sized Mike Wallace with skill. On the Steelers with Brown on the other side and Big Ben at QB, he is dangerous. The minute he goes FA to another team, his value drops. I like him on my team with a #1 WR lined up along side him.

If he stays clean and if he learns how to concentrate to catch the easy balls (something he has had difficulty with the past two years), then he can be a top 10 WR in this offense. The problem is that those are two big IFs, especially the staying clean (imo) because his value drops significantly with a massive suspension. That said, I am cautiously optimistic that his 2016 season will be a very, very good one.

He's a king sized Mike Wallace with skill. On the Steelers with Brown on the other side and Big Ben at QB, he is dangerous. The minute he goes FA to another team, his value drops. I like him on my team with a #1 WR lined up along side him.

I don't think 9 receptions and 194 total yards is too bad as a primary option.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team never considered cutting suspended WR Martavis Bryant.

Bryant was suspended a minimum of one year after failing six drug tests. "He has to do what he has to do from a league standpoint. He has to do what he has to do from a personal standpoint. We have to prepare for what we have to do without him in 2016," Colbert said. "After all that is taken care of, we will revisit it, but as of right now, as [Steelers president Art Rooney II] said, we support him, but in all honesty, what happens is totally up to him." Bryant has checked into rehab. He will be eligible for reinstatement next spring.
  • 4 months later...

with the league showing more of a leniency towards marajuana wouldn't be surprised to see Bryant's suspension reduced.

Nobody thought Gordon would just be let back so easily after failing another test earlier this year.  The NFL should seriously consider letting Bryant back earlier to be consistent.

On 7/27/2016 at 8:56 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

with the league showing more of a leniency towards marajuana wouldn't be surprised to see Bryant's suspension reduced.

Nobody thought Gordon would just be let back so easily after failing another test earlier this year.  The NFL should seriously consider letting Bryant back earlier to be consistent.

I was just reading through the FBG's staff mock draft from 3 days ago.  Someone drafted Bryant in the 9th round.  I guess people are betting on his suspension being reduced???

I don't get it.

Edit:  Oh, it's a dynasty draft.  I had to re-read the rules, but I get it now.

Edited by Joe T
On 7/27/2016 at 9:56 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

Yes, if there's one thing Goodell seems worried about, it's being consistent 

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On March 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Ghost Rider said:

You can't get addicted to weed. 

Now, if he legitimately has depression, that is to be taken very seriously.  

For the record, and as an addiction psychiatrist, you CAN get addicted to weed. About 1% of people who smoke wind up with a severe use disorder. Smoking daily, wanting and trying to cut back and can't. There are withdrawal symptoms that lead to this including difficultly sleeping, poor appetite, nausea, and anxiety. Think the opposite of being high. The vast majority of people who smoke will not get addicted, but a small percentage will. And if you think about the number of total smokers, that small percentage actually will be a lot of people.

Back to Bryant. Where would you all be ranking him in dynasty leagues. Seems like he might be a fantastic lottery ticket to buy now.

Edited by Gandalf
3 hours ago, Gandalf said:

So where do you draft him in dynasty drafts? Is he now just a late round flier?

Look at it this way:  Look where Gordon's value was one year ago and where it is now with nothing happening between then except getting reinstated.  If/when Bryant gets reinstated next year, you're looking at a similar jump based on where his value was prior to this suspension.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds like he learned his lesson.   I traded away my 1st in a dynasty league, but I'm hoping Bryant coming back is worth more to my 2017 championship defense than even a high end 2017 1st rounder. 

Also him saying he didn't really train before...  This dude is quite an elite athletic specimen to make it this far and play this well without really training his body like he could.   

Edited by kittenmittens
15 minutes ago, Run It Up said:

Exactly what I wanted to see from him, I hope he can stay straight. I doubt ill entertain any offers for him.

I know I won't. Offers will be weak until people see him back on the field and then it will be too late. He's a monster.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:18 PM, Catbird said:

Who do you think will retire first, Ben or Antonio?

Definitely Ben, unless Antonio starts racking up concussions.  Then I think he'd walk away with his budding business empire.

I really hope Bryant stays clean and can rejoin the team, but he doesn't sound like someone who has his stuff together. He moved from LA to Vegas to avoid potential problems. Hmmm. And he won't apologize to his team about lying, because they're all grown men. Umm, men can apologize when they fuc* up.  I just hope he gives the Steelers 2 solid years. After that he'll probably take $$$ from another team.  They might be able to resign him if other teams are still wary, but if he plays like he could the next 2 years, he'd command WR1 $$$.

• Faust changed the title to WR Martavis Bryant, Toronto Argonauts