WR Martavis Bryant, Toronto Argonauts

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you feel about calculus?

NEWS:   Speaking Thursday, Martavis Bryant declined comment on reports that he is facing another suspension. Advice: "I don’t know nothing about none of that," Bryant said. It's hardly

Earlier in this thread I believe I referred to him having a ten cent head. I may have overestimated that value

7 hours ago, spider321 said:

Source?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9416/martavis-bryant

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson confirms suspended WR Martavis Bryant is expected to be reinstated.

A previous report said Bryant's return is imminent. Bryant will be 60 days removed from applying for reinstatement this week. It sounds like there's still not a firm timetable on when a decision will be announced, but all signs point to him getting reinstated. Mar 29 - 5:31 PM
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

One source says it's imminent, second source says Steelers have had 0 signs that it will happen.

If he is reinstated and not suspended for PED use (put on 25 lbs of muscle since he last saw the field), then he will be a beast.

Wasn't he reportedly at 225 before his 2nd year? So he's 250 now?

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, lod001 said:

Goodell has to reinstate him before the draft or he is ####### over the Steelers by leaving them in limbo.

Martavis Bryant is an basspole for repeatedly violatibg the rules.

The rules that the players agreed to.

If he is not reistated before the draft the Steelers could decide to pick someone with a functional brain to replace him.

19 minutes ago, msommer said:

If he is not reistated before the draft the Steelers could decide to pick someone with a functional brain to replace him.

Which becomes a wasted pick once Bryant is reinstated (they need to address the D in this draft). No receiver in this draft is 1/2 the receiver Bryant is.

Edited by lod001
1 minute ago, lod001 said:

Which becomes a wasted pick once Bryant is reinstated (they need to address the D in this draft). No receiver in this draft is 1/2 the receiver Bryant is.

Except in the brains department.

Which seems both important and relevant

Makes no difference if he's reinstated before the draft or not and I think has 0% impact on how the Steelers draft.

If I did not know better I'd think some people are confusing reinstatement with no longer being the program. He's still one failed test away from another lengthy suspension and that is why the team has constantly been telling everyone that they can't count on him. I really don't think that constant company line is because they don't think he can get reinstated this time, it's counting on him for the duration that is the issue.

I dont think fantasy owners are super concerned about what the Steelers think.

He has transcendant talent, just very poor discipline - hes either changed or he hasnt. If he has, i care very little what offense hes in. Contract year, i doubt the Steelers resign him either way.

17 hours ago, Run It Up said:

Contract year, i doubt the Steelers resign him either way.

His contract isn't up until after the 2018 season. 

I think there is a possibility they trade him next season, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they don't resign him.  The Steelers have been pretty wise when it comes to WRs... and lucky too (Wallace vs Brown). They tend to let WRs walk when they'd cost too much. But they've described Bryant's talent in the past with high praise, so if he can get his life together, I could see them trying to resign him.

If Ben retires after the 2017 or 2018 season, they'll let Bryant walk in order to rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Run It Up said:

How do you figure? He was like a 4th rounder and this is his 4th year, his rookie deal shouldnt be elligible for a 5th year option. 

Trackers have him as UFA in 2018.

2016 season tolled because he was suspended.  Gordon had it happen too.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

2016 season tolled because he was suspended.  Gordon had it happen too.

Just read this, had no idea that if a player is suspended for a full season his contract is effectively pushed back a year, but thats apparently how it works.

That's basically what happens any time the player is not available to fulfill the contract for non-football reasons.  Retired or hold-out players have the same thing so they can't skip a bad contract year and jump into free agency or just come back to play for whoever they want.  When Favre came back, and when Lynch does, the contract picks right back up where it left off.  Technically it's not accurate to say "his 2017 salary is" but rather "his 4th contract year salary is".

• Like 1
On 4/16/2017 at 0:16 PM, msommer said:

:lmao:

2 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

That's basically what happens any time the player is not available to fulfill the contract for non-football reasons.  Retired or hold-out players have the same thing so they can't skip a bad contract year and jump into free agency or just come back to play for whoever they want.  When Favre came back, and when Lynch does, the contract picks right back up where it left off.  Technically it's not accurate to say "his 2017 salary is" but rather "his 4th contract year salary is".

Never really thought about it like that i assumed it was an aspect of being penalized if a player were suspended but i guess everything is slanted against the players.

1 hour ago, Hu-Tang Clan said:

In a dynasty start-up where are you guys seeing him ranked? Such a risk in case he fails one more test (assuming he gets reinstated of course) but such a high ceiling too.

I have him as a top 20 WR, definitely have to ding him for his risk. But any time he slips a tier i would grab him. 

9 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

I'd lean towards not worth bothering with. Blackmon and Gordon haven't taught you anything?

many things in life involve risk, as long as you arent over exposing yourself to it, the payoff can outweigh the cost in a lot of cases

for the right price I would have invested something in any of these guys while they are/were suspended

I own him in a league and currently have an offer sitting there to move him for 2.6. I want more for his talent, but not hearing anything about his reinstatement a week before the NFL draft concerns me. I'm not asking for advice on my trade, but is anyone concerned he wont be back this season? Is it a sign that the Steelers believe that if they draft a WR? Brown, Rogers, Coates, Hunter, DHB and Hamilton are the WRs on that team without him, a mess after Brown. They need Bryant. 

Edited by Mavis
1 hour ago, Mavis said:

I own him in a league and currently have an offer sitting there to move him for 2.6. I want more for his talent, but not hearing anything about his reinstatement a week before the NFL draft concerns me. I'm not asking for advice on my trade, but is anyone concerned he wont be back this season? Is it a sign that the Steelers believe that if they draft a WR? Brown, Rogers, Coates, Hunter, DHB and Hamilton are the WRs on that team without him, a mess after Brown. They need Bryant. 

Have to gamble that he will be reinstated, and that whether he gets traded, cut, or remains with the steelers he will still be a pretty explosive deep threat. Upside is still there. No reason to trade draft picks this week in my opinion, may as well see who goes where first. 

I think the steelers should draft a wr somewhere in the first 3 rds regardless, just in case Bryant gets back and decides to have a beer on the plane after game 1. 

3 hours ago, JPeso said:

2.6? I'd need 1.6. 

Though I was buying Hernandez for late 2nd when none of the facts has surfaced. 

No WR in this draft has his potential and he will be reinstated. He's on the most high powered O once reinstated. Ben, Bell, Brown & Bryant.

6 hours ago, lod001 said:

No WR in this draft has his potential and he will be reinstated. He's on the most high powered O once reinstated. Ben, Bell, Brown & Bryant.

I don't agree with that at all, ask Josh Gordon about how automatic reinstatement is, we don't know one of them won't end up on just as good an offense, and no WR in this draft has the risk of being suspended as Bryant does.  No way I give up 1.06, I wouldn't give up any top 12 pick for him. 

Last I heard, the league asked him to create a path to success and wanted him to personally meet with Goodell.

Several possible speed bumps in that plan, but unlike Gordon, he looks like he is legitimately trying to make it work. If I had to pick a time, Id say during or just after the draft.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team still does not know if suspended WR Martavis Bryant will be reinstated.

"We have no information. We have no idea if we’ll get information (before the draft) or not," Colbert said Monday. "We have to operate under the assumption that, until he is here, he is not here." Bryant has widely been expected to gain reinstatement, but Colbert is clearly not taking that for granted. Whether that means the Steelers are just being prudent or have been given a heads up remains to be seen. Either way, it will not be surprising if Pittsburgh invests an early-round pick on a pass catcher this week.

Apr 24 - 11:47 PM

From Rotoworld:

NFL conditionally reinstated suspended Steelers WR Martavis Bryant.

Bryant's second NFL suspension is over after 407 days. Many players — Justin Blackmon, Daryl Washington, Josh Gordon — fail to make it back after being slapped with indefinite bans, so Bryant is ahead of the curve in that regard. He's one strike away from what would likely be permanent ineligibility, however. The 25 year old has to be a perfect citizen from here on out. A pterodactyl-like touchdown scorer, Bryant has 14 scores in 21 career games, and has averaged 17.3 yards per catch. He has the ability to be one of the biggest difference makers in the game at receiver. He was desperately missed opposite Antonio Brown in 2016. Bryant's upside and downside are equally self evident.

8 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Serious question:

What in the Seven Hells does being a "pterodactyl-like touchdown scorer" mean?

Duh.  He scores TDs like a prehistoric flying dinosaur.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Serious question:

What in the Seven Hells does being a "pterodactyl-like touchdown scorer" mean?

1 minute ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Duh.  He scores TDs like a prehistoric flying dinosaur.

Obviously

• Faust changed the title to WR Martavis Bryant, Toronto Argonauts