What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (1 Viewer)

I drafted him in the 3rd round of the rookie draft fully expecting to sit on him for at least a year while he developed. That being said, with Wheaton underwhelming and Bryant looking good so far with his opportunities, I'd want at least a very early 2nd round rookie pick to consider moving him and even then I'd have to think about it. When I watch him, I see flashes of a faster Plaxico Burress or a pre-injury Sidney Rice.

Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant caught 5-of-7 targets for 83 yards and two touchdowns in Pittsburgh's Week 8 win over the Colts.

Just like that, the 6-foot-4 fourth-rounder now has seven catches for 123 yards and three touchdowns in two games since finally getting unearthed on game days. Bryant easily won 1-on-1s on both of his touchdowns, and showed why he could be such a problem in the red zone. Bryant's emergence couldn't be better timed for a team that's struggled inside the 20 all season long. Bryant is worth a flier as a touchdown-heavy WR4.

Oct 26 - 9:03 PM

He's looking pretty good today 5 of 7 for 81 yards and 2 TDs.
Guys are holding him like his name is that other WR at Clemson. I poked my head in a couple other teams to see if he was available after last week and they want a mid 1st for him. Seems crazy to me for who was probably a 3rd round rookie pick (although showed promise last week). Now I'm sure he will be almost untouchable for a reasonable offer.After last week I would have thought I could grab him for a future 2nd, but I guess not. Now who knows what I would have to pay.
If someone has him, they invested a 3rd... Why would they trade him now that he's playing for a future 2nd? That makes no sense.

Wheew....scooped up Bryant and Moncrief last weekend in a shallow dynasty league. Hoping to flip for draft picks.

This guy looks stronger than Plaxico and a little faster...Anyone think we are looking at WR1 production next year perhaps?

This guy looks stronger than Plaxico and a little faster...Anyone think we are looking at WR1 production next year perhaps?
With Brown opposite, he should easily outperform Mike Wallace #s and the floor is way higher than the Sanders #s from last year.. Brown will always be the #1 but that is actually good for Bryant. He will draw #2 coverage. Should eclipse 100 targets next year.

Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant played 33-of-84 snaps in Sunday's win over the Colts.

Bryant split No. 2 receiver duties with Markus Wheaton, who finished with 34 snaps. He's out-targeted Wheaton in back to back weeks and could eventually be an every-down starter opposite Antonio Brown. Bryant is already looking like the Steelers' best red-zone option. Wheaton is a candidate to be moved to the slot.

Oct 28 - 11:56 AM

6'-4", 211, Big Ben at QB, speed out the ###, #1 CB covering Antonio Brown for the foreseeable future. Just catch the ball, baby!

I got him in. last nights waivers. Probably keep him on my bench this week and wait for him to prove himself some more...

I am pretty excited about him. His production per snap is off the charts. If he can start playing an every down role opposite Brown he should have some pretty nice games. He seems hungry and ready to prove they were right in placing him on the field. Guys that sit for part of the season then spring onto the scene with a splash have more appreciation for each snap than a guy that was handed the job day1 and I think he will continue to prove his worth as he doesn't want to get placed back on the bench. Measurables of 4.4 speed with 6'4 height and 39 vert are a good set of tools to have in one on one fade and fly patterns, so for this season at least I think his limited route tree can work as long as Brown stays healthy and continues to catch so many passes.

Got him on waivers in my td heavy non-ppr. Took Moncrief over him in ppr. Both are fresh legs in good offenses with the #2 prime for the taking behind #1s that give defenses fits. There's allot of action in Ind and Pitt to be had. Perhaps both are flavors of the week, but especially in the case of Bryant, I want them on my roster when they rise to the point of consistent fantasy validity. Opportunity seems to be there. Talent seems to be there. Experience is not, but lets see if the stars align.

Starting him over harvin and allen robinson as my wr3
Allen Robinson was, and still is, also available in my league. Debating whether or not to start Bryant, but Terrence Williams and Andrew Hawkins are both against the top ranked defenses at Yahoo for giving up WR points...

Drop A-Rob or Sanu for him?
I definitely wouldn't drop Sanu. He's averaged 6 catches, 93 yards, and .5 TDs/game over the last month. I know Green is practicing today, but we don't know how his toe will respond.

Robinson, I'm not sure. Bryant probably has more upside, but the fact is that Bryant only played about 1/3 of the snaps last week. How often do you expect Ben to throw for 500 yards? How often do you expect the Steelers to put up 50 points? With Robinson, you get a lower ceiling, but IMO, you also get a higher floor.

I'm playing Bryant this week in the flex spot.

I'm in an 8-team 25-man roster dynasty league and I had to choose between several young receivers. My main reasoning is that Jimmy Smith is out and Brown is going to take the #1 CB. Bryant should have the opportunity to torch the #2 CB over and over.

I temper my expectations. The known on this guy so far seems a bit too opportunistic. He shows up with fresh legs at a time when no one is preparing for him and Antonio Brown is so hot that he is getting ALL the attention. That's not a bad thing, but it is THE thing. Brown could continue to draw that attention, etc, etc, but what I am saying to remember is that the league is full of guys that get caught unprepared and then converge to a truer norm.

Then last week you have a career day of career days. You can't expect that type of volume realistically.

I see a lot of thoughts in this thread that say he is a faster "this guy" or he is better than this guy, etc. But at the end of the day, the Steelers are the Steelers. Big Ben is who he is...he's not suddenly taking a next step. Sanders looks like a god with the Broncos but was so/so with the Steelers. If Sanders couldn't maintain with the Steelers, can some other #2?

Not trying to throw an ice bucket over the conversation but I think these are scenarios to examine before pushing a lot of the chips in. I think the philosophy of the Steelers mandates a fair amount of run and a fair amount of focus on Brown and I just don't think you can rely on opposing teams to look at this aspect of their game Bryant represents and just allow that to continue all year. I think we will see a fair amount of 3/47 and 5/56 type statlines coming in with this, as well.

I temper my expectations. The known on this guy so far seems a bit too opportunistic. He shows up with fresh legs at a time when no one is preparing for him and Antonio Brown is so hot that he is getting ALL the attention. That's not a bad thing, but it is THE thing. Brown could continue to draw that attention, etc, etc, but what I am saying to remember is that the league is full of guys that get caught unprepared and then converge to a truer norm.

Then last week you have a career day of career days. You can't expect that type of volume realistically.

I see a lot of thoughts in this thread that say he is a faster "this guy" or he is better than this guy, etc. But at the end of the day, the Steelers are the Steelers. Big Ben is who he is...he's not suddenly taking a next step. Sanders looks like a god with the Broncos but was so/so with the Steelers. If Sanders couldn't maintain with the Steelers, can some other #2?

Not trying to throw an ice bucket over the conversation but I think these are scenarios to examine before pushing a lot of the chips in. I think the philosophy of the Steelers mandates a fair amount of run and a fair amount of focus on Brown and I just don't think you can rely on opposing teams to look at this aspect of their game Bryant represents and just allow that to continue all year. I think we will see a fair amount of 3/47 and 5/56 type statlines coming in with this, as well.
I get what you're saying and no one is expecting these kind of stats to keep coming, but I think he's been pretty impressive so far. I also don't see what Emmanuel Sanders has to do with anything - he went to an offense run by the most prolific QB of all time. I think Ben has plenty of arm and accuracy for a couple of WRs get stats. Even better for Bryant is Wheaton and DHB basically being forgettable in every since of the word. I think Bryant is great for Brown and will help extend the field and get some stats on his own as well.He's a project still, but he's a project defenses have to really pay attention to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked him up -- cut Marques Colston for him.

Need to decide whether to start him this week... Could be over VJax or Chris Ivory at the flex.

I like his fantasy prospects going forward this season.

His draft profile:

STRENGTHS Superb body length with a long, rangy frame. Very good straight-line, separation speed. Can drop his hips surprisingly well for as tall as he is and is fairly shifty after the catch. Good red-zone target -- effective making back-shoulder catches. Flashes the ability to climb the ladder and highpoint the ball. Has return experience.

WEAKNESSES Shaky hands -- tends to double-clutch the ball and makes too many easy drops. Is not a polished route runner -- is stiff in and out of his breaks. Lacks toughness desired to work the middle of the field. Must prove that he is willing to work to assimilate a playbook and learn the finer points of the game.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE A lean, long-limbed, rangy, outside-the-numbers, big-play receiver, Bryant declared for the draft early with underclassmen nipping at his playing time late in the season. Will require additional seasoning to make a mark in the pro game. A better tester than football player at this stage of his development, he has tools to be molded if he learns to hone his focus.

Hes a big dude, with some ridiculous wheels. To me he looks like Kelvin Benjamin but faster with slightly shorter arms.

6'5" 215, several sub 4.40 forties. Downfield and redzone threat. Shocked he went so late in the draft honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

This sounds reasonable to me. But, he seems to be a legit Red Zone threat so a flex play may be sustainable.

This sounds reasonable to me. But, he seems to be a legit Red Zone threat so a flex play may be sustainable.
The comparison with sanders is strange to me. They are not the same kind of wr. You can make an argument bryant has shown more chemistry these last two games on limited snaps than sanders did when he was in Pittsburgh.

Just picked him up -- cut Marques Colston for him.

Need to decide whether to start him this week..

. Could be over VJax or Chris Ivory at the flex.

I like his fantasy prospects going forward this season.
Thank you! I have been on the verge of cutting Colston for weeks. It's reassuring to know I'm not crazy. I dropped my defense to add Bryant. Colston has zero upside. Bryant could be a huge down the stretch.

I was able to scoop him up tonight following waivers. Hope he can fill in for Jordy this week and Desean next week. Incidentally I'll be starting Brown, Bryant, and Big Ben this week. Hope they don't flop as starting that many guys from one unit goes against my instict to diversify.

Hes a big dude, with some ridiculous wheels. To me he looks like Kelvin Benjamin but faster with slightly shorter arms.

6'5" 215, several sub 4.40 forties. Downfield and redzone threat. Shocked he went so late in the draft honestly.
A lot of analysts think that in any other draft he'd probably have gone top 50 but since the WR class was so deep he fell. And as a Steelers fan, glad he did.

This year he might be a better real football player than fantasy even with his 2 good games in a row. But I'm starting him in a league this week with Julio on a bye.

I think Bryant becoming a solid #2 will be extremely beneficial to another player on the team. Namely, Markus Wheaton. He has the speed and elusiveness to be a solid slot receiver and with Brown and Bryant on the outside he could get a ridiculous number of open looks, especially if Heath is streaking down the field as well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Wheaton's first TD came after Bryant showed up. I don't think he could handle the pressure of being #2 in a pro offense yet and having another WR to share the load will be great for him.

I'm playing him over Edelman in a .5ppr. He certainly passes the eyeball test and is a true red zone target.

Picked up Super Mart and Moncrief in both my leagues. Starting Super Mart for Jordy this week.

Vjax sucks and gets Haden this week I am seriously considering puting Bryant in over VJAX
I would have no hesitation starting Bryant over VJax right now. Both are what the heck plays, but Bryant has a better offense. VJax's use last week was very discouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread