What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (2 Viewers)

There are people who actually think he has a shot at legitimate value this year if he gets traded. How?

I generally agree with many of your posts SSND.

But how can you not think he has at least WR3-ish potential if he gets sent to the right team and scenario?

(Now those type guys have more value in my leagues, as we are mandatory start 3 WRs, so I get thats different but still...)

If Jermaine Kearse can at least be "semi relevant" for the Jets, couldn't we think  Marty Bryant would be at least that good? The Browns may not be a good example, but they are another team that could use an upgrade at WR. The Giants would be "interesting", as they are a throwing team, and they lost essentially everyone that could catch last week. (I'm high on Sterling Shepard later in the season in a WR3 sort of way)

The Ravens lost Perriman and Maclin both today, but I have not looked to see how serious it is for those two yet.

The Bears need a standout talent at WR as we speak also. Even The Bills are in need of a solid complimentary WR to their team. Zay Jones looks awful, and Jordan Matthews isn't healthy currently either.

I say this, and I have never been high on Martavis like many others. I view him as a big play sort of guy, that just has natural talent. I don't see him tearing things up like Beckham did his rookie year, or Josh Gordon when he ran hot that one season. (Hell, I was in on Gordon the season prior too , so I had him in spots his huge year)

I don't think Bryant could be a season changer by any stretch, but if he went somewhere like one of the above teams where he could be featured, or at least as a 1-A with someone else as a 1-B, I might be persuaded to take a chance on him.

I would think he would be interesting as a bench guy, who could ultimately be a WR3 in our leagues. All this depends on team, scenario and quarterback....of course.

I have never been "high" on this guy at all really, but I believe if we put him in the right scenario, he could be fantasy relevant again.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
SameSongNDance said:
There are people who actually think he has a shot at legitimate value this year if he gets traded. How?
This is the quote off of ESPN player page.  "Film review reveals Bryant is getting open often enough on his vertical routes, but his quarterback simply can't get him the ball."

So there is an argument to be made of greener grass...

This is the quote off of ESPN player page.  "Film review reveals Bryant is getting open often enough on his vertical routes, but his quarterback simply can't get him the ball."

So there is an argument to be made of greener grass...
What about the perfect deep ball Ben threw in the Bears game that went through Bryant's hands?

Ray Fittipaldo ✔@rayfitt1

FWIW, Martavis Bryant said he did not request a trade. Talked for about five minutes. Theme was he wants to move on. Story coming later

12:27 PM - Oct 16, 2017

Martavis Bryant has denied requesting a trade.

This is part and parcel for these sorts of stories. It's irrelevant, anyways, since a trade is extremely unlikely. Bryant is right to be upset with his early usage, and needs to be a bigger part of the offense going forward. The Steelers need his explosive play-making ability, especially in the red zone. Bryant is a squeaky wheel who could get some grease in Week 7
Basically he was unhappy about his usage and that Smith-Schuster was taking his shorter, higher percentage routes. Talked with managed during Week 5 and may or may not have requested a trade. Management said no. He's moved on and accepted their decision.

Basically he was unhappy about his usage and that Smith-Schuster was taking his shorter, higher percentage routes. Talked with managed during Week 5 and may or may not have requested a trade. Management said no. He's moved on and accepted their decision.
 And he had his lowest snap count of the season last week. He's droppable now

And he had his lowest snap count of the season last week. He's droppable now
In smaller leagues and/or ones with tight roster limits I think he might be. Six games and only one good one with five duds is a poor start. I was so high on him coming into the season and got him in several leagues. Bigtime swing and a miss.

I'm not as concerned about snaps as I am usage. He turned a nothing play into a 7-yard gain yesterday and a simple slant route into a 20-yard play. He looked really good and the Steelers still wouldn't throw to him. It's not like Juju or Rogers fared much better; the offense was all about Bell and Brown. If there's a reason to hold that may be it. That a Bell/Brown dominant approach may not occur on a weekly basis and at some point they will start using Bryant more since he offers so much big-play potential.

But through six weeks you can't base that hope on anything other than pure hope. There's little game usage to turn to in order to feel confident. I can see holding because the talent is there but if you need WR help and there are some productive options out there (like an Agholor or maybe a John Brown or Sanu if he gets healthy with NE coming up) I don't think it would be a mistake to drop Bryant if you didn't have the bench space.  

I was high on him as well, but I remember a sport illustrated article ( https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-suspension-steelers-marijuana-reinstatement) where he was asked, "Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?"

His response, "I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life."

Not exactly the response to make your quarterback want to look your way.  The lack of production and trade request kind of makes sense to me.  I do think he would be better on a new team.

PFF rates that it's more Ben being bad/not looking his way than Bryant not getting open or dropping balls. We've certainly seen alot of deep hots where Ben overthrew him, so as long as Martavis keeps going the blowup is coming... he might have earned some inadvertent squeaky wheel treatment.

PFF rates that it's more Ben being bad/not looking his way than Bryant not getting open or dropping balls. We've certainly seen alot of deep hots where Ben overthrew him, so as long as Martavis keeps going the blowup is coming... he might have earned some inadvertent squeaky wheel treatment.
If your info is correct his frustration resulted in his fewest targets of the season yesterday. The squeaky wheel typically applies to stars and superstars like Brown or A.J. Green. Doesn't appear the Steelers care enough about Bryant to make him happy. 

Edited to add - I agree there's so much talent. One of my leagues where I have him has tight roster limits and I'm likely going to hold. But I'm stubborn on his talent and the stubborness may end up hurting me if he keeps being a bust. I'll hang in there for a bit longer but as I said above I wouldn't blame anyone for moving on.  

I was high on him as well, but I remember a sport illustrated article ( https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-suspension-steelers-marijuana-reinstatement) where he was asked, "Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?"

His response, "I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life."

Not exactly the response to make your quarterback want to look your way.  The lack of production and trade request kind of makes sense to me.  I do think he would be better on a new team.
Bryant and Roethlisberger talked this out in training camp and put it behind them well before start of regular season.

Martavis Bryant requested trade from Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers are coming off their most comprehensive victory of the season, but one of their top receivers still wants out.

Martavis Bryant recently requested a trade from the AFC North leaders, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported late Sunday, per sources informed of Bryant's request. Rapoport noted that Bryant's teammates and coaches are well aware that the receiver is unhappy.

Speaking to reporters Monday, Bryant, however, said he didn't express unhappiness with the team.

"Nah. I'm good, man. I'm good to go," Bryant said when asked if he requested a trade. "Just gonna play ball ... finish strong and move on forward."

Bryant added that he recently spoke to Steelers coaches "about what I can do better and that's it."

Bryant also posted Sunday night on Twitter that he was happy in Pittsburgh.
irishidiot asked about snap counts here those are:

Week 5 Ben threw 5 interceptions against the Jaguars, they ended up with 80 offensive plays (pretty high total)

Antonio Brown played on 95% of the offensive snaps 19 targets 10 receptions 157 yards

Bryant played on 78% of the offensive snaps 8 targets 5 receptions 21 yards 1 rushing attempt 13 yards

JuJu Smith Shuster played on 82% of the offensive snaps 6 targets 4 receptions 58 yards

Justin Hunter played on 6% of the offensive snaps 3 targets 1 reception 6 yards

Week 6 The Steelers didn't turn the ball over as much and Bell had 32 rushing attempts meaning a lot less passes by Ben

Antonio Brown played on 89% of the offensive snaps 10 targets 8 receptions 155 yards 1 TD

Bryant played on 52% of the offensive snaps 3 targets 2 receptions 27 yards

JuJu Smith Shuster played on 69% of the offensive snaps 3 targets 3 receptions 32 yards

Eli Rodgers played on 20% of the offensive snaps 0 targets

He's the kind of guy who's bound to go off just when you bench him but I can't see how he can be started unless you really have no other options. WR63 in PPR right now. Just brutal. 

Ive benched him for 4 straight weeks. Still hasnt gone off.
I started him for four weeks before benching him in Week 5 for Jaron Brown and lost points. Week 6 I started him over Moncrief and lost points. Gonna bench him again this week for sure. I'm lucky he's my WR4 so he's not killing me but it's damn frustrating. 

Once I bench him, he will go off but it sure looks like they are incapable of even throwing his way unless it is a bomb which is never even close or 3 yard pass. 

They usually throw him 1 or 2 bombs every game and he's either interfered with, the pass is 5 yards away or he drops it.  Other than that, he doesn't even get looks.  

I'd love to cut this guy immediately, but I started him today  :bag: :wall: :thumbdown: :kicksrock:
I was going to bench him but put him into a flex spot over Smallwood in a dual flex league after seeing Rappaport's Tweet this morning about how he was getting an increased role. 

I hate myself right now.

Why is he not part of the game plan? I mean he's obviously got incredible talent, he has game tape.....he's killed me this season. I keep starting him thinking he's gonna make it happen but he gets squat. If I was him I'd demand a trade.....screw the rumors....just go public and say I want out of here.

Can't tell if he's getting open but one thing is for sure. Ben's brain is mushy. He'll throw into triple coverage to Brown before single coverage to anyone else.

Play calling to him is awful. Inside the 10, you send the big WR on fades or routes into the EZ, not 3 yard routes. That was his one catch.

There are a lot of people getting paid a lot of money (in a great organization) to figure out where the ball is going. I trust the brains in Pitt over making excuses for Martavis. This coming from someone who drafted him pretty early and has been disappointed.

Maybe he's gotten too big physically. He doens't really look as fast on the bombs that are actually thrown his way. David Boston pumped himself up and out the league.

Why is he not part of the game plan? I mean he's obviously got incredible talent, he has game tape.....he's killed me this season. I keep starting him thinking he's gonna make it happen but he gets squat. If I would him I'd demand a trade.....screw the rumors....just go public and say I want out of here.
No idea what's going on but it's clear Ben doesn't wanna throw to him. They had a play at the 4 where Bryant was singled and Brown was triple-teamed. Ben never looked at Bryant and instead try to force it to Brown. I can't explain it but you can't argue with the production any longer. They just don't want to use him.

I'm not one to rip on reporters for the info they provide when they've proven themselves over time but Rappaport definitely needs better Steelers' sources. 

He's not going to be traded.  From a fantasy perspective you have to decide if he's a hold or a drop. 
Marvin Jones is on the WW in my league with tight roster limits. I'm gonna drop Bryant and go after Jones in FAAB this week. I'm waving the white flag.  

I got a lot of players to drop this week.....he's on my list. Even if he goes off.....which I doubt....let him be someone else's problem.

Another example of a player who got way overhyped based on a small sample size of good games in a great situation with a QB who was playing hot. The up tempo and the other weapons in Brown and Bell greatly contributed to that.

Never been a fan of Bryant and I thought he was way over drafted in 2015. That hype has carried over into this season I think. Writing was on the wall when the Steelers drafted JuJu.

I have both Bryant and JuJu in one dynasty league. Neither are starting for me and not much better than Bryant on the wire (based on his theoretical upside, at least) so he's a Hold for me. 

It's a 12 team keep 12 league and he would definitely not make my 12, but maybe he has a couple of good games down the stretch so I can sell him off. 

Judging from the posts some of you guys made, MB must have done something stupid today.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see but only bits and pieces of the game, can someone fill me in on what (if anything) that happened????

I'm assuming he may have thrown a fit on the sideline?  I only know from the box score he didn't do anything.   1 for 2 with an end around early, and apparently he must have had zero involvement after that.

I don't own him anywhere, but I was saying above in the thread that he might be interesting in a "WR3 kind of way " possibly if he was traded and went to the right scenario. Its looking more and more like he just isn't fantasy relevant anymore, at least on this team.

This is purely speculation, but I am guessing he "did all the right things, turned his life around, and because of that or at least partly so.......he was hoping for heavy involvement from the team", yet he isn't getting it.  I bet he is really letting it be known in the locker room and he has alienated himself from the team.  Its just a guess, but we all know he has some talent. It doesn't just disappear.

I get the feeling a change of scenery is needed for MB.

I will likely never own him again in fantasy (unless it was literally the perfect scenario of situation,and draft cost) but I hate to see guys try and do the right thing, turn their life around, then things go South for them.

TZM

Judging from the posts some of you guys made, MB must have done something stupid today.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see but only bits and pieces of the game, can someone fill me in on what (if anything) that happened????

I'm assuming he may have thrown a fit on the sideline?  I only know from the box score he didn't do anything.   1 for 2 with an end around early, and apparently he must have had zero involvement after that.

I don't own him anywhere, but I was saying above in the thread that he might be interesting in a "WR3 kind of way " possibly if he was traded and went to the right scenario. Its looking more and more like he just isn't fantasy relevant anymore, at least on this team.

This is purely speculation, but I am guessing he "did all the right things, turned his life around, and because of that or at least partly so.......he was hoping for heavy involvement from the team", yet he isn't getting it.  I bet he is really letting it be known in the locker room and he has alienated himself from the team.  Its just a guess, but we all know he has some talent. It doesn't just disappear.

I get the feeling a change of scenery is needed for MB.

I will likely never own him again in fantasy (unless it was literally the perfect scenario of situation,and draft cost) but I hate to see guys try and do the right thing, turn their life around, then things go South for them.

TZM
No he posted this on social media:

"JuJu is no where near better than me, fool.  All they need to do is give me what I want and y'all can have JuJu and whoever else."

Then he thought better of it and deleted it and replaced it with this:

"JuJu is the future and got great talent and is going to be one of the best to play this game."  "I want him to get his. I just want mines, period, point-blank. Ain't nobody did nothing to get me back. I worked my ### off to get myself back with no help and little support, period. In due time the process will show."

The bottom line is that Bryant is an immature baby that can't be counted on for fantasy football.   He is probably a hold in dynasty but in a redraft league he isn't worth the roster spot unless you have a very deep bench.

No he posted this on social media:

"JuJu is no where near better than me, fool.  All they need to do is give me what I want and y'all can have JuJu and whoever else."

Then he thought better of it and deleted it and replaced it with this:

"JuJu is the future and got great talent and is going to be one of the best to play this game."  "I want him to get his. I just want mines, period, point-blank. Ain't nobody did nothing to get me back. I worked my ### off to get myself back with no help and little support, period. In due time the process will show."

The bottom line is that Bryant is an immature baby that can't be counted on for fantasy football.   He is probably a hold in dynasty but in a redraft league he isn't worth the roster spot unless you have a very deep bench.
 Thanks for the heads up and info.   :thumbup:

The more I read that, the more it seems exactly what I was sort of figuring. (about him turning his life around, and then kind of alienating himself from the team, after not getting the massive targets he may have been desiring)

Truth be known, I only owned this guy briefly in his rookie year....as a WR3 in one lone league.

Its a sad story, and one where the guy really should get a better ending than this.... if he truly went full circle and turned his life around. (It seems as though he may have some other issues, dealing with things mentally, and  he might need to grow up a bit too)

It almost looks like he was responding (with frustration???) to some disgruntled joker on social media that may have been ragging him on JuJu , MB's shrinking role, and fantasy relevance. But I am not on any of that social media, Twitter nor FB or anything of the sort. Message boards like this is about as far as I go. So everything I am saying is just a guess, and I certainly didn't see anything he may have been "responding to".

Some guys have the ability to tune things out, and others just can't.  Its incidents like this, that makes me wonder how many have similar issues or problems, and they are swept under the rug, or "dealt with" before it gets posted like this for all the world to see.

I don't own this head case, and unless something changes, I likely never will.

TZM

Thanks for the heads up and info.   :thumbup:

The more I read that, the more it seems exactly what I was sort of figuring. (about him turning his life around, and then kind of alienating himself from the team, after not getting the massive targets he may have been desiring)

Truth be known, I only owned this guy briefly in his rookie year....as a WR3 in one lone league.

Its a sad story, and one where the guy really should get a better ending than this.... if he truly went full circle and turned his life around. (It seems as though he may have some other issues, dealing with things mentally, and  he might need to grow up a bit too)

It almost looks like he was responding (with frustration???) to some disgruntled joker on social media that may have been ragging him on JuJu , MB's shrinking role, and fantasy relevance. But I am not on any of that social media, Twitter nor FB or anything of the sort. Message boards like this is about as far as I go. So everything I am saying is just a guess, and I certainly didn't see anything he may have been "responding to".

Some guys have the ability to tune things out, and others just can't.  Its incidents like this, that makes me wonder how many have similar issues or problems, and they are swept under the rug, or "dealt with" before it gets posted like this for all the world to see.

I don't own this head case, and unless something changes, I likely never will.

TZM
I think it is great that he turned himself around but the team was coming off a big win against a division foe.  Just be happy for the team and quit whining about getting the ball, especially after you screwed the team last year by getting a year long suspension for pot.

The Steelers are not going to trade him (they would get little in return) and crying on social media  is more likely to have your butt sitting on the bench.  Just keep your mouth shut and do your talking on the field.

He is only hurting himself with the whinging about wanting a trade and wanting the ball more.

Its not like the other 31 teams don't know this and it certainly doesn't improve their interest in trying to acquire him via trade or in free agency next year.

I'd take a flyer on him if I was a different team in the NFL, and I DO think he will be traded.  He's a free agent at the end of this season - he ain't coming back, and they ain't using him anyway.  They'll dump him for a 7th, maybe a 6th, because - why not?  Get SOMETHING out of him organizationally speaking since you got NOTHING out of him on the field the last season and a half.  

I think he's a hold for another week because of this in redraft, and I'd dump him if he didn't get traded.  In dynasty, I'd hold him until next fall unless my roster was really really tight.  In fairness, he has not had a good opportunity to show what he has this year, and I think there are a handful of teams around the league that will be interested in bringing him in and seeing what he's capable of when he gets 8 targets a game.  What is he?  26?  He was SO good early in his career that the intrigue will stay there for another calendar year or so, at least.

Hes handling himself like a jackass-- but his message is probably right-- if he was the #2 on qb with a really nice deep ball-- he would be lighting the league on fire like he did 2-3 years ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread