What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (1 Viewer)

Pretty much. He's such a dangerous deep threat that his presence forces teams to play their safeties back which opens up the shorter passes to the rest of the team.
Considering how bad Ben has been with his deep throws and his disinterest in throwing to Bryant lately, defensive coordinators will be incredibly stupid if they continue to respect something that is no longer happening. 

packersfan said:
Bottom line is he's acting like a punk right now and if the Steelers were smart they'd trade him since they clearly have no interest in using him. Or they can hang onto him and watch the situation get worse as they continue ignoring him every week.  
I think the part you may be overlooking is that the Steelers would be happy to use him if he stopped with his BS prima donna attitude. He hasn't earned much with his behavior except another chance. If he indeed wants to become a distraction for a Super bowl contender then he has seriously over played his hand. He needs to grow up and work harder to become the player the Steelers need him to be. I am disappointed it has come to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIT has never been known for bowing to a player/WR ..... Santonio Holmes remember? Could have been a legend in PIT .... got the Diva virus and wanted out.

Like I said before ... JUJU is the beneficiary of Martavis being dumb 

I think the part you may be overlooking is that the Steelers would be happy to use him if he stopped with his BS prima donna attitude. He hasn't earned much with his behavior except another chance. If he indeed wants to become a distraction for a Super bowl contender then he has seriously over played his hand. He needs to grow up and work harder to become the player the Steelers need him to be. I am disappointed it has come to this.
By all accounts things went great for him in practice last week and then once the game began the Steelers ignored him more than they had all season. So I'm not sure the bolded means things will change. I think at this point it's a no-win situation for both sides. Bryant likely won't get the trade he wants and if he continues being phased out the Steelers will continue to have a distraction to deal with every week. 

By all accounts things went great for him in practice last week and then once the game began the Steelers ignored him more than they had all season. So I'm not sure the bolded means things will change. I think at this point it's a no-win situation for both sides. Bryant likely won't get the trade he wants and if he continues being phased out the Steelers will continue to have a distraction to deal with every week. 
The Steelers game plan was not to ignore Bryant.  In fact the first offensive play of the game was an end around to Bryant in which gained 2 yards.   Bryant needs to understand that sometimes during  the ebb and flow of a game the ball may not come your way.   I understand his frustration but he is 3rd in targets on the team behind AB and Bell.  Barring injury that is NOT going to change but if he stays focused and works hard he will get opportunities.  

Unfortunately he acts like the selfish jerk that he is and asks to be traded, lashes out at a teammate, and calls in sick for a mandatory meeting.  For those saying he should be traded I would like to know what you think the team would get in return?  At this point I would say they would be lucky to get a 6th round pick for a malcontent that has under performed and is one toke away from being out of the league.

The Steelers game plan was not to ignore Bryant.  In fact the first offensive play of the game was an end around to Bryant in which gained 2 yards.   Bryant needs to understand that sometimes during  the ebb and flow of a game the ball may not come your way.   I understand his frustration but he is 3rd in targets on the team behind AB and Bell.  Barring injury that is NOT going to change but if he stays focused and works hard he will get opportunities.  

Unfortunately he acts like the selfish jerk that he is and asks to be traded, lashes out at a teammate, and calls in sick for a mandatory meeting.  For those saying he should be traded I would like to know what you think the team would get in return?  At this point I would say they would be lucky to get a 6th round pick for a malcontent that has under performed and is one toke away from being out of the league.
He got the first touch and then was immediately subbed out when the passing plays began. So yeah, it was pretty clear from the opening series they weren't going to increase his role against the Bengals.

Again, I'm not saying he's handling this well. He isn't. But his role has changed significantly the past two weeks. That is indisputable.

From a fantasy perspective, I've decided to hang onto him until the trade deadline. I still don't think he's dealt but I'll hang on for another week and see if the Steelers blink here. I think it's worth the extra week just to see if the 1% chance of a trade pans out. I still think he's extremely talented and he absolutely needs a fresh start somewhere else at this point on a team that wants to use him.

He got the first touch and then was immediately subbed out when the passing plays began. So yeah, it was pretty clear from the opening series they weren't going to increase his role against the Bengals.

Again, I'm not saying he's handling this well. He isn't. But his role has changed significantly the past two weeks. That is indisputable.

From a fantasy perspective, I've decided to hang onto him until the trade deadline. I still don't think he's dealt but I'll hang on for another week and see if the Steelers blink here. I think it's worth the extra week just to see if the 1% chance of a trade pans out. I still think he's extremely talented and he absolutely needs a fresh start somewhere else at this point on a team that wants to use him.
The entire offensive game plan changed significantly two weeks ago from a passing attack to running attack.  Roles can change during the course of a season or even a game.  It is not all about Bryant.  

And you can wish all you want, but I really doubt the Steelers will trade or cut Bryant this season.  He is either going to get with the program or be deactivated.

The entire offensive game plan changed significantly two weeks ago from a passing attack to running attack.  Roles can change during the course of a season or even a game.  It is not all about Bryant.  

And you can wish all you want, but I really doubt the Steelers will trade or cut Bryant this season.  He is either going to get with the program or be deactivated.
This is my guess. They have been doing just fine without him playing a role, why not reiterate their message to him and every other player present or future that you don't act that way if you want to wear a Steelers uniform on Sundays. 

I'll say again that I don't think there will be a trade. But in my opinion if you can handle the roster spot there's no harm giving this another week just to see if the unlikely becomes likely. It's not me wishing for anything. It's just taking a practical approach. Him on my bench in Week 8 and then seeing where things are at in Week 9 isn't gonna kill me in any of the leagues where I have Bryant. In fact, in two of them my team is in first place so I can definitely afford to give this another week.

#HumbleBrag 

As far as the change in offensive approach I agree the Steelers have made a significant change in response to Ben's 5-INT meltdown game. That doesn't change the fact that when they do throw they're far less interested in utilizing Bryant now than they were earlier in the season and certainly in 2015 when he last played. Honest question - How many No. 2 WRs had one catchable ball thrown to them in Week 7? I'd be surprised if the number was very high but that's what happened to Bryant.   

Deactivated is a real bad idea. If they do that, there is something even bigger going on. He draws away coverage from JuJu and Bell simply with his presence on the field.

Tomlin is kinda odd. He would be the type of guy that might tell Bryant to act and say the things he says in the promise that later in the season (playoff time), they unleash him and the opposing teams #### their pants. Make it look like he's no longer part of the plan.

I'm making all that up but Tomlin is sneaky like that.

Also seems like they are running Bell into the ground with the idea that they let him walk. He's got the most RB catches and is 20 rushes ahead of the closest guy already. He's on pace for 375 rushes. Last guy at that level was Murray in DAL.

Deactivated is a real bad idea. If they do that, there is something even bigger going on. He draws away coverage from JuJu and Bell simply with his presence on the field.

Tomlin is kinda odd. He would be the type of guy that might tell Bryant to act and say the things he says in the promise that later in the season (playoff time), they unleash him and the opposing teams #### their pants. Make it look like he's no longer part of the plan.

I'm making all that up but Tomlin is sneaky like that.

Also seems like they are running Bell into the ground with the idea that they let him walk. He's got the most RB catches and is 20 rushes ahead of the closest guy already. He's on pace for 375 rushes. Last guy at that level was Murray in DAL.
Not using your weapons is a recipe to not even get to the playoffs. So your scenario seems very far fetched to me.

Tomlin just said Smith-Schuster in concussion protocol. If he's out the Steelers may not have a choice but to throw the ball to Bryant.

Worth noting teams have attacked the CBs on the other side of Slay this season. That's where Bryant would be Sunday night vs. Detroit.

So there's that now to throw into all this. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryant deactivated this week. Tomlin is an nonsense guy. If he suddenly gives him 13 targets, it sends the signal that players can just whine and they will get what they want. He also talked badly about a teammate. The guy is a Cancer and I would be surprised if Pittsburgh doesn't do something to teach him a lesson and how to be a teammate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryant deactivated this week. Tomlin is an nonsense guy. If he suddenly gives him 13 targets, it sends the signal that players can just whine and they will get what they want. He also talked badly about a teammate. The guy is a Cancer and I would be surprised if Pittsburgh doesn't do something to teach him a lesson and how to be a teammate.
Suspension makes sense but I wonder if they will suspend him if Smith-Schuster can't play. 

Tomlin just said Smith-Schuster in concussion protocol. If he's out the Steelers may not have a choice but to throw the ball to Bryant.

Worth noting teams have attacked the CBs on the other side of Slay this season. That's where Bryant would be Sunday night vs. Detroit.

So I assume Bryant shows up to work today then.  He called in sick yesterday.

Mystery concussion..

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said JuJu Smith-Schuster is in the concussion protocol.

This comes out of left field as Smith-Schuster both finished the game and spoke with reporters afterward. He apparently started experiencing symptoms Monday or Tuesday, however, and now is questionable to face the Lions on Sunday night. With Martavis Bryant's status up in the air, this is a blow to Pittsburgh's offense.
Like... odd. And now suddenly Bryant's main target competition is gone for a week.

Rotoworld blurb...

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Martavis Bryant is "not available via a trade."

Tomlin said Bryant's comments on social media were "out of bounds," but added the receiver had "done a lot" to improve and is a "good guy to work with." The coach did say he will deal with the situation, so perhaps Bryant is looking at a suspension. On Tuesday, Bryant told ESPN's Josina Anderson he "want out, period" if the Steelers "don’t try to include me more." Despite Tomlin's comments, this saga may have a few more chapters.

Rotoworld blurb...

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Martavis Bryant is "not available via a trade."
Yep.  At this point his trade value if next to nothing even if they wanted to deal him, which they don't.   The key to Bryant getting the ball more is his attitude and execution -- it is entorely up to him.

Detroit has 3 above average safeties and Quandre Diggs been very good in the slot. On the outside opposite Slay - who will flip sides to follow the opposing WR1 but doesn’t go into the slot - DJ Hayden and Nevin Lawson split time. PFF ranks them as CB100 and CB95.

Yep.  At this point his trade value if next to nothing even if they wanted to deal him, which they don't.   The key to Bryant getting the ball more is his attitude and execution -- it is entorely up to him.
Throwing him the ball is more has roughly a 100% percent chance of improving his attitude. 

I know you think that Bryant is standing wide open with no one else around him and Ben refuses to throw him the ball but it isn't really like that.
Nope, I believe Bryant is being singled frequently (which is accurate as Romo also pointed out on Sunday) and I think the Steelers should be using him more on offense (which is entirely subjective). I don't recall ever saying Bryant is standing wide open with no one else around him.

Throwing him the ball is more has roughly a 100% percent chance of improving his attitude. 
and will set an example that complaining and calling players and coaches/play calling out gets results

MBryant isn't a WR1, he's not Antonio Brown, he's a good WR who is talking his way deep into the dog house of no return

Pittsburgh doesn't cater to WR's often

and will set an example that complaining and calling players and coaches/play calling out gets results

MBryant isn't a WR1, he's not Antonio Brown, he's a good WR who is talking his way deep into the dog house of no return

Pittsburgh doesn't cater to WR's often
Yup, he's handling it poorly. I completely agree with that.

However, I do think the Steelers should use him more. He was getting 6 targets per game the first 5 weeks. Start by getting him back to that level. It's not like it should seriously damage your approach by just using him more. I'm not saying give him 15 targets. He isn't Brown and shouldn't be catered to like Brown was. But if you believe he is talented - and by refusing to trade him the point is then made that the team does believe he's talented - how are you harmed by using him more? 

the harm is it proves MBryant is getting his way by doing the things he's doing and setting a precedence

IIRC Steelers don't play that game - sit him on the bench, trade him, continue to use him sparingly .... giving him what he wants? I doubt it

the harm is it proves MBryant is getting his way by doing the things he's doing and setting a precedence

IIRC Steelers don't play that game - sit him on the bench, trade him, continue to use him sparingly .... giving him what he wants? I doubt it
So you're saying that giving him the exact same number of targets they were giving him in the first five weeks of the season is going to seriously damage the team? 

He was getting six targets a game. Again, I'm not saying give him 15 but six is going to set a precedent the likes of which Tomlin can't recover from? Sorry just not buying that.

Seems like his teammates are letting him twist in the wind here. Both team leaders on offense (Ben/Brown) lack maturity themselves... so there is nobody to pull Bryant aside and explain that the time to whine is NOT following back-to-back wins (big wins) and tying for the best record in the AFC.

He's going to have to find his own way out of this hole he's digging. Knuckle down and play football, or hit the road after your contract expires (if you make it off the field that long).

At this point in time we all realize that Bryant is much closer to becoming Justin Blackmon versus Randy Moss, right? MUCH closer.

Seems like his teammates are letting him twist in the wind here. Both team leaders on offense (Ben/Brown) lack maturity themselves... so there is nobody to pull Bryant aside and explain that the time to whine is NOT following back-to-back wins (big wins) and tying for the best record in the AFC.

He's going to have to find his own way out of this hole he's digging. Knuckle down and play football, or hit the road after your contract expires (if you make it off the field that long).

At this point in time we all realize that Bryant is much closer to becoming Justin Blackmon versus Randy Moss, right? MUCH closer.
Moss in Oakland and Tennessee? 

:)

Bryant has been open and missed a lot by Ben, juju has been connecting with Ben, this doesn’t mean that juju is a better wr, if Ben connected on some of them everything would be different. But to give as much work to the rookie as they have just because Ben has missed him is a slap in the face, I would be pissed too. This guy is talented and just wants to be involved,not a bad thing.

Not to many guys hanging on to him still, he’s been dropped in many leagues, I’m holding out hope for 1-2 more weeks, but might not pan out.

He's awesome when used correctly. Use him or lose him. sux but true.
:rolleyes:  Better WR’s then Martavis Bryant have come and gone in Pittsburgh. When he’s gone this nonsense won’t be missed. He can go be like Mike Wallace and find out consistent winning and good QB’s are a rarity in the NFL.

:rolleyes:  Better WR’s then Martavis Bryant have come and gone in Pittsburgh. When he’s gone this nonsense won’t be missed. He can go be like Mike Wallace and find out consistent winning and good QB’s are a rarity in the NFL.
He is asking for targets not money. What WR isn’t screaming for more targets? Great QBs and great offenses spread the ball around. The more weapons a D has to worry about the harder to defend. 

Pitt is one LeVeon Bell or Antonio Brown injury away from being a very ordinary offense so by all means keep treating Bryant like crap. 

He is asking for targets not money. What WR isn’t screaming for more targets? Great QBs and great offenses spread the ball around. The more weapons a D has to worry about the harder to defend. 

Pitt is one LeVeon Bell or Antonio Brown injury away from being a very ordinary offense so by all means keep treating Bryant like crap. 
Treating Bryant like crap? Let’s not forget how much his absence hurt the organization last year. Real NFL isn’t fantasy. Ben’s deep throwing may be done from everything I’ve seen and for all we know he may be a one note song like the aforementioned Mike Wallace. He got targets the first three weeks and wasn’t able to capitalize with them. What do you think his wanting the ball is about? You don’t think it’s about money? Because that’s ludicrous. 

Treating Bryant like crap? Let’s not forget how much his absence hurt the organization last year. Real NFL isn’t fantasy. Ben’s deep throwing may be done from everything I’ve seen and for all we know he may be a one note song like the aforementioned Mike Wallace. He got targets the first three weeks and wasn’t able to capitalize with them. What do you think his wanting the ball is about? You don’t think it’s about money? Because that’s ludicrous. 
Every reciever wants the ball, he doesn’t even crack the list of the top 100 whiney, trouble making WRs in history. So what if he wants the ball, that is not a character flaw. 

Every reciever wants the ball, he doesn’t even crack the list of the top 100 whiney, trouble making WRs in history. So what if he wants the ball, that is not a character flaw. 
You know what is a character flaw? Skipping team meetings, lying to the team about drug use and being a repeat offender putting yourself at risk to be off the team at any moment. I dare you to name 100 WR’s who have skipped meetings and insulted their teammates in the public over wanting targets. I’ll wait.

You know what is a character flaw? Skipping team meetings, lying to the team about drug use and being a repeat offender putting yourself at risk to be off the team at any moment. I dare you to name 100 WR’s who have skipped meetings and insulted their teammates in the public over wanting targets. I’ll wait.
The list is easy, almost every wide receiver except for Santana Moss

But I’ll let Hines Ward explain it to you:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/06/hines-ward-steelers-antonio-brown-tantrum-sideline-ravens-ben-roethlisberger/stories/201710050169

All receivers are Divas and cry for the ball all the time. It would be a character flaw if he didn’t this early in his career  

Terrell Owens was the mouthiest for the ball when he was playing with Jerry Freakin Rice, so spare me the “he is a worthless distraction” crap. His story is not new and it isn’t much of a story. 

Users who are viewing this thread