What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (1 Viewer)

The whole not getting him equal/slightly more targets than he got at the beginning of the yeah because it “sets a bad precedent” thing seems laughable to me. 

So they want to ensure you can’t whine and get your way, sure. But, the ultimate goal is to win games, right? Bryant is a talent and even the non-trained eye can see he should get more targets to help the team win. Now with Juju in concussion protocol, it’s just seems ridiculous to me that the Steelers would draw a hard line in the sand with Bryant just to prove a point  

If he’s that much of a locker room cancer, then suspend him or trade him to a crap team like the Bears. You can then set the precedent that if you complain enough, sure you’ll either get benched/suspended or get traded, but be careful what you wish for because the team you go to might be worse than what you’re currently complaining about. 

However, I’m not an NFL GM and could be completely off base here. 

Bryant has been open and missed a lot by Ben, juju has been connecting with Ben, this doesn’t mean that juju is a better wr, if Ben connected on some of them everything would be different. But to give as much work to the rookie as they have just because Ben has missed him is a slap in the face, I would be pissed too. This guy is talented and just wants to be involved,not a bad thing.
Not really.  Ben has missed him on a couple deep balls but had a perfectly placed long ball dropped by Bryant in the Bears game.  And the miss on Sunday was as much on Bryant as it was on Ben:

“What happened on the play is Martavis, he’s supposed to look back at 10-12 yards and see me throw the ball. That’s the whole point of the play. If he can see the ball out of my hands, he can track it, get under it, make a play, adjust, do whatever needs to happen. When we looked at the pictures on the sidelines, he hadn’t looked until 25 yards. So at that point, he never saw the ball out of my hands, and I don’t think he ever saw the ball in the air. It ends up looking like a poor effort play when it’s really just that little detail of looking a little sooner.

“He just didn’t see it out of my hand. I don’t want to call him out for lack of effort. I think it’s just a lack of that little detail that keeps us from having a touchdown. Because that’s a touchdown. If he finds the ball out of my hands, there’s no doubt in my mind that’s a touchdown.

“And I think that’s the look I have, of more like ‘Aw man, we just talked about this. I thought we had it.’ 
Bryant also had an target & catch on the 3 yard line and couldn't score.  Not all his fault but for someone complaining about not getting opportunities he sure seems to squander the ones that he does get.

Every reciever wants the ball, he doesn’t even crack the list of the top 100 whiney, trouble making WRs in history. So what if he wants the ball, that is not a character flaw. 
Wow. We get that you drafted him and are frustrated that he hasn't done a thing for you, but he is a drug addict who his let his team down numerous times by being suspended. He's also crying and causing disruptions after team victories. And now he's even insulting the twenty-year-old who's outperforming him. Just a terrible teammate. I wouldn't be surprised if they deactivate him this week. I guess it depends on whether or not Schuster has a concussion. But at this point, he's about their fifth best option on offense and they certainly don't need his Diva distractions anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. We get that you drafted him and are frustrated that he hasn't done a thing for you, but he is a drug addict who his let his team down numerous times by being suspended. He's also crying and causing disruptions after team victories. And now he's even insulting the twenty-year-old who's outperforming him. Just a terrible teammate. I wouldn't be surprised if they deactivate him this week. I guess it depends on whether or not Schuster has a concussion. But at this point, he's about their fifth best option on offense and they certainly don't need his Diva distractions anymore.
I think the Steelers are trying their best to be patient with him, at least publicly.  They know that if they can get Bryant on track that it will be good for both him and the team.  It is a long season and if stays patient and works hard he will get his targets.

If I were Tomlin I would tell him that all is forgiven but he if says or posts on social media anything negative regarding the team, not getting playing time or wanting traded he will be deactivated and/or suspended and that goes for 2018 as well.  

ETA:  The Steelers have all of the leverage and Bryant none.  He needs to be made aware of that.

First off this kid has hands of stone let’s esablish that.  I have watched him drop a ton of balls consistently since his rookie year.  He’s got great size and speed and has all the measurable but he’s not great at catching the ball which is pretty important for a wr.  

I owned him in my league in 2015 and he was frustrating as hell to own and watch   One play he comes up with a brilliant catch and the next it’s falling right through hisbread basket on what could have been a 60 yard td   

Second, he breaks rules and has multiple suspensions in his short career.  I was amazed hat the Steelers actually stuck with him through the full year suspension.   What has he actually done on the field to merit that kind of loyalty?  Not much.  

And now, his attitude is in the gutter, he’s calling out coaches and teammates.  If I’m mike Tomlin or steelers brass I would sit his ### on the bench rest of the season and as long as he remains a steeler so that not only does he not get his wish for a trade but he also doesn’t get to showcase his skills to his next possible team.  F him.  

He should be licking their shoes clean for how they stood by him while he was getting himself suspended left and right from the league.  What a moron.  

People are defending this guy like he's a hall of famer.  Yes, he has talent which has flashed at times.  But we are talking about a guy who has 94 catches in 3.5 seasons.  In part due to the suspensions, but in part due to the fact that he doesn't have very good hands as was pointed out many times in this thread.

You have to earn the right to be a diva in the NFL.  #10 hasn't.

You don't like how you are being used, fine.  Get mad.  Talk to the coaches.  Play harder.  Ask how you can get more involved.  Don't skip workouts and whine to the media and take shots at teammates who are simply trying to get theirs.

I think the Steelers are going to probably play him every snap this weekend, throw him more targets than A.Brown and bend over backwards to make MBryant happy

That makes sense, its what the Steelers have always done, right ?

It's not true that Bryant is a star who deserves to be catered to.

It's also not true he's a bum who's done nothing and hasn't shown he can't help this team with a more sizable role.

Toss out the extremes and focus on the middle ground. Perhaps that's where you can find a resolution to this that keeps the player happy and enables the team to maximize the talent of said player they insist they believe in.

I think the Steelers are going to probably play him every snap this weekend, throw him more targets than A.Brown and bend over backwards to make MBryant happy

That makes sense, its what the Steelers have always done, right ?
Why would they do that this week when they didnt do it last week? Hes been grumbling about a trade for awhile now.

Not really.  Ben has missed him on a couple deep balls but had a perfectly placed long ball dropped by Bryant in the Bears game.  And the miss on Sunday was as much on Bryant as it was on Ben:

Bryant also had an target & catch on the 3 yard line and couldn't score.  Not all his fault but for someone complaining about not getting opportunities he sure seems to squander the ones that he does get.
Calling a stupid play inside the 10 is not exactly squandering an opportunity. the D knew what was being run.

Nah, I cut him weeks ago. I just think he is frustrated and I can understand some of it. His outbursts are simply a lack of maturity and is nothing new in regards to WR behavior. 

I just happen to believe that his tantrum is blown out of proportion regardless of where you think he is talent wise. 

The team will trade him before the deadline.  Pretending to have no interest in doing so just drives the price up.
That's EZ to say considering his price cannot get any lower.

PROs - Big and fast (with whispers of BIGGER than before, but not quite as FAST).

CONs - Career has one foot in the grave, not content with winning, unproven as a "feature" WR, questionable hands, questionable commitment.

What is is current value... 5th round draft pick? I would rather keep him on and try to turn him around. They can honestly afford to live without anything they could get in trade.

That's EZ to say considering his price cannot get any lower.

PROs - Big and fast (with whispers of BIGGER than before, but not quite as FAST).

CONs - Career has one foot in the grave, not content with winning, unproven as a "feature" WR, questionable hands, questionable commitment.

What is is current value... 5th round draft pick? I would rather keep him on and try to turn him around. They can honestly afford to live without anything they could get in trade.
I happen to agree with spider. 

Let's say they don't trade him. They keep him through 2018, he gets behind JuJu. What will they get for him when he leaves after 2018? Nothing. Let's speculate that he holds out for a trade, what do they get if he sticks to his guns and doesn't play? Nothing. A low draft pick is better than no draft pick. Especially a team that needs to rebuild at the QB and potentially RB position. 

I'm not exactly sure what will happen, but I would be more surprised if they kept him. Part of this is wishful thinking as JuJu is on my radar... 

Let's say they don't trade him. They keep him through 2018, he gets behind JuJu. What will they get for him when he leaves after 2018? Nothing. Let's speculate that he holds out for a trade, what do they get if he sticks to his guns and doesn't play? Nothing. A low draft pick is better than no draft pick. Especially a team that needs to rebuild at the QB and potentially RB position. 

I'm not exactly sure what will happen, but I would be more surprised if they kept him. Part of this is wishful thinking as JuJu is on my radar... 
They will not trade him. Like I said, they are not getting a 1st-3rd round pick for a guy in his situation.They can live with the "getting nothing for him" consequences. The upside of potentially returning to 2015 form offset any trade offers for a mid-tier WR with tons of baggage.

As far as speculating where he'll be at the end of 2018? That may as well be the moon. He might not even be in the league by Dec 2018.

My guess... Juju sits out SUN, Bryant goes 5-120-2, and this whole thread goes away.

The team will trade him before the deadline.  Pretending to have no interest in doing so just drives the price up.
Virtually no chance this happens.  No team is going to give up anything the Steelers find more valuable than another year and a half of Martavis at almost no salary cap hit.  I'd much rather work with him for the next year and change and see if there's a way to better utilize him/re-integrate him than to dump him for a late round pick.  I mean, if someone came out of the clouds and said : "Hey !  We'll give you a 1st and a 3rd for Martavis," he's gone.  The odds of any team offering anything even in the same area code is essentially nil.  He's worth more to the Steelers even just as a decoy/reclamation project than a late round pick is worth.

Virtually no chance this happens.  No team is going to give up anything the Steelers find more valuable than another year and a half of Martavis at almost no salary cap hit.  I'd much rather work with him for the next year and change and see if there's a way to better utilize him/re-integrate him than to dump him for a late round pick.  I mean, if someone came out of the clouds and said : "Hey !  We'll give you a 1st and a 3rd for Martavis," he's gone.  The odds of any team offering anything even in the same area code is essentially nil.  He's worth more to the Steelers even just as a decoy/reclamation project than a late round pick is worth.
The Steelers used a 4th round pick to draft Bryant.

I read earlier that the Bears traded a conditional 7th round pick for Dontrelle Inman.

If the Steelers could get a 4th round pick for Bryant it would be breaking even on the investment. I would think they would consider that, maybe even a 5th round pick considering he isn't under contract for very long. Not sure if any team would offer that much for him though.Less than that and I agree they may just prefer to keep him.

They would get a compensatory pick up to a 3rd rounder depending on the contract he signs.

How does this affect target distribution going forward? 
Guessing Brown gets the 2-3 targets Bryant has been recently getting.

I'm back to where I was at with him on Sunday night. Dropping today and moving on. I've had enough of this soap opera. Maybe I'll look to re-acquire off the Waiver Wire in a couple of weeks if something changes but I'm done now. I don't think this is gonna have a happy ending unless he's traded and I doubt that will happen. Just gonna stay ugly. 

So terrible.

Costs the team his services with his dumb choices, they get him back, and he pulls this crap.

Bummer for fantasy owners they thought they were getting a useful player. 

These recreational drug guys that get busted, they are sooo not worth the effort. 

So terrible.

Costs the team his services with his dumb choices, they get him back, and he pulls this crap.

Bummer for fantasy owners they thought they were getting a useful player. 

These recreational drug guys that get busted, they are sooo not worth the effort. 
You are so right. Definetly wasn't worth it to draft Moss after he resurfaced in New England, or Bell after his drug bust. In fact, picking up Gordon after his 4 game suspension when he went on to lead the league in receiving in 12 games wasn't worth it at all. 

They would get a compensatory pick up to a 3rd rounder depending on the contract he signs.
The Steelers don't usually sign many free agents, so perhaps this is the route they prefer.

If they are going to have Hunter active over Bryant, it seems they would be willing to take just about any offer another team might make for Bryant, but that price would be checked against what kind of comp pick they can get for him instead.

The main thing I see happening from this move is JuJu getting a bump in value as fantasy owners should have more confidence in his role now.

Breaking news in Pittsburgh today is JuJu got his stolen bike back. I’m serious. 
Maybe taking it was part of the concussion protocol, kind of like taking their helmet away. I don't want someone being watched for concussion symptoms to be riding a bicycle around downtown Pittsburgh.

Is he out of the concussion protocol? 
Full participant in Wednesday’s practice.

Diggs is pretty good in the slot, like top 5 slot CB good. The two guys who split time opposite Slay are ranked CB95 (Lawson) and CB100 (Hayden.) So whomever gets the outside starting gig opposite AB is about that have the game of his life.

You're a very unpleasant person.  You must hate your life.
Sorry you feel that way.  Anyone in any normal work setting who complain and became a disturbance the way that he has at work would get demoted or fired as well so I believe he is getting what he deserves I just don’t like the direction that sports are going in. The way that this fool is acting is unheard of. He’s been suspended more than he’s been on the field and when he’s on the field he dropped passes at a higher rate. Yet you somehow feels entitled that he should get more playing time then a very productive and team first rookie. Anyone in any normal work setting who complain and became a disturbance the way that he has at work would get demoted or fired as well so I believe he is getting what he deserves

This message was done in talk to text please excuse any typos

Users who are viewing this thread