What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (4 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Martavis Bryant - WR - Steelers

Martavis Bryant caught two passes for 11 yards in the Steelers' Week 11 win over the Titans.

Bryant was targeted five times, with two of those coming in the end zone. But Big Ben left a would-be 20-yard touchdown in the air too long early in the first quarter, allowing Blidi Wreh-Wilson, who was whooped badly on the play by Bryant, to get back and knock it down. Bryant and Markus Wheaton each drew five looks in the passing game, taking targets away from each other. Bryant will remain a boom-or-bust high-upside WR3 when the Steelers come out of their bye against the Saints in Week 13.

Nov 18 - 12:05 AM

Damn it! It's my fault. I started him this week. Sorry guys, I jinxed him.

A game where the Steelers decided to emphasize the run; who could have seen that coming? Too bad someone didn't listen to local talk radio or read local newspapers & suggest this was a possibility. :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, this was one of my concerns about Bryant. The Steelers have always (since I've lived in Pittsburgh) felt some need to have a strong running game, and after the loss to the Jets, the call to "emphasize the run" was once again sounded around here (radio and print). Gruden even talked about it last night.

It almost cost them last night; the game shouldn't have been that close, but the results were a 200 yard rushing day for a Steelers RB, a win for Pitt, and WHEN Ben dropped back to pass, he was getting drilled.

I'm not sure they are going to return to those 2 pass-happy games, and if they don't, Brown will get his, but it will be tougher for Bryant to get his.

BTW-the "lob" pass Ben threw should have been throw better, but why did Bryant just stay on his feet & wait for the ball to get there? It was a #### pass, but if he would have gone up and attacked the ball, I would have won my FF game :wall:

At the game. Bryant on field when they're within 30-40yds endzone at all times, mixed in with Wheaton the rest. Dropped 2 td catches so far. He's not there yet, guys. Could've been a huge week again.
Maybe you have a bad angle, but the second one was deflected by the DB.

Again, a higher pass from Ben and the DB doesn't get to it.
It was a bad pass, but Bryant didn't even jump for the ball. If he goes up for it, the DB (who just got lucky by sticking his hands there after he was beat) wouldn't have been able to deflect the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the game. Bryant on field when they're within 30-40yds endzone at all times, mixed in with Wheaton the rest. Dropped 2 td catches so far. He's not there yet, guys. Could've been a huge week again.
Maybe you have a bad angle, but the second one was deflected by the DB.

Again, a higher pass from Ben and the DB doesn't get to it.
It was a bad pass, but Bryant didn't even jump for the ball. If he goes up for it, the DB (who just got lucky by sticking his hands there after he was beat) wouldn't have been able to deflect the ball.
I thought both passes could have been better, but agree he should have made a better effort to go get the ball.

On the big picture, I think we all knew he wasn't going to continue to score every game. And every WR in the league will lay one or more fantasy eggs over the course of the season. He's had one bad game out of five in his career.

The fact is, he did get three end zone targets. That bodes well for future production.

Critique:

1. Bryant needs to show more "my ball" mentality. He easily has the height/vertical jumping ability to catch that lob pass, although poorly thrown by Ben. I saw poor execution by both QB and WR there. I want to see Bryant come back for the ball in that situation and pick up his QB, or at least try. This is what an elite WR would try to do.

2. On his 2nd end zone target there was another poorly thrown ball that was way to high. However, this is a Bryant critique, not a QB critique so on that pattern I would have liked to see Bryant push his route deeper into the end zone making the corner think he was headed for the back corner of the end zone, then settle back 5 yards for a back shoulder rather than just kinda of fade to the middle of the end zone along with the defender.

3. On his third pass in the end zone I thought the corner made a great play. If he didn't get that hand in there at the last second it was a TD. However, I feel like if he extended his arms more instead of body catching it again like the first TD target, he would have increased his odds of muscling the ball away from the tip attempt by the cb.

The good news is all these facets of the game can be taught and worked on. The 6'4 sub 4.4 40 with 39" vert can't be taught and he has that in the bag already and I only seen him drop one uncontested ball so he has shown good focus for a rookie. The 1st end zone target would have been an easy TD if Ben put some mustard on it because he had a 5 yard separation on the cb, but then had to wait forever for the pass to get there. He is creating large separation on most of his TD passes so far, but to take it to the next level he will need to learn some better technique for close quarters catches. He needs to body catch less and come back for the ball more. He is very raw in those aspects of his game. Obviously he needs work or he would not have been deactivated for the first 6 games of the season. But what he can do well, he does at an elite level already. The technique should come with experience.

Remember that he still doesn't even have 100 catches yet between his entire college and pro experience, maintaining a supremely high TD catch rate.

leftcoastguy7 said:
With the game still in doubt in the 4th quarter, Bryant wasn't even on the field in 3 WR sets. He was replaced by Lance Moore.

I think the party's over guys.
Other than the 2 potential TDs he should have had if Ben throws a good ball, I completely agree with you. :lmao: :crazy:

leftcoastguy7 said:
With the game still in doubt in the 4th quarter, Bryant wasn't even on the field in 3 WR sets. He was replaced by Lance Moore.

I think the party's over guys.
:lmao:

Critique:

1. Bryant needs to show more "my ball" mentality. He easily has the height/vertical jumping ability to catch that lob pass, although poorly thrown by Ben. I saw poor execution by both QB and WR there. I want to see Bryant come back for the ball in that situation and pick up his QB, or at least try. This is what an elite WR would try to do.

2. On his 2nd end zone target there was another poorly thrown ball that was way to high. However, this is a Bryant critique, not a QB critique so on that pattern I would have liked to see Bryant push his route deeper into the end zone making the corner think he was headed for the back corner of the end zone, then settle back 5 yards for a back shoulder rather than just kinda of fade to the middle of the end zone along with the defender.

3. On his third pass in the end zone I thought the corner made a great play. If he didn't get that hand in there at the last second it was a TD. However, I feel like if he extended his arms more instead of body catching it again like the first TD target, he would have increased his odds of muscling the ball away from the tip attempt by the cb.

The good news is all these facets of the game can be taught and worked on. The 6'4 sub 4.4 40 with 39" vert can't be taught and he has that in the bag already and I only seen him drop one uncontested ball so he has shown good focus for a rookie. The 1st end zone target would have been an easy TD if Ben put some mustard on it because he had a 5 yard separation on the cb, but then had to wait forever for the pass to get there. He is creating large separation on most of his TD passes so far, but to take it to the next level he will need to learn some better technique for close quarters catches. He needs to body catch less and come back for the ball more. He is very raw in those aspects of his game. Obviously he needs work or he would not have been deactivated for the first 6 games of the season. But what he can do well, he does at an elite level already. The technique should come with experience.

Remember that he still doesn't even have 100 catches yet between his entire college and pro experience, maintaining a supremely high TD catch rate.
Yeah, I can't argue with you. I saw the same thing but they were good lessons learned for a young WR. He might have won those matchups in college but he's going to have to work harder in the pros to do it consistently.

I'm not afraid to call him a poor man's Randy Moss who is rough around the edges unlike the polished Moss fresh out of college. I really think his upside is limitless and will target him in all formats going forward in the years to come.

Critique:

I sure hope someone on that coaching staff sees this and coaches him on it. We all see it. You have to attack the ball.

Don't feel confident about it, but starting over Crabtree and L. Murray. Think Bryant has a higher ceiling, but lower floor.

I have Gordon/Green starting so it comes down to Sanu or Bryant for me. Sanu has a great matchup, gets more targets and has produced all season, but I am leaning towards Bryant even in PPR. He just gets so many RZ/scoring opps also has a good matchup and has the speed that any catch can go for a long TD. 1 in 4 catches is a TD since his college days. Last game he only had two catches so he's due! ;)

Starting over Crowell @ BUF and Stills. Starting over Watkins vs. CLE based on Haden and weather in Buffalo, assuming that's where it's played.

He's probably going to be boom or bust the rest of the year. The saints have a weak secondary but their run defense is horrible. Bell could have over 200 yards again this week which would mean less targets for Bryant.

Also, gotta like that he trained with some MMA fighters during the bye week to learn some hand fighting techniques to learn how to separate from CBs.

FYI (although some people in here have discredited my attention to local reporters/sports radio); in an interview yesterday afternoon, a local reporter (Ed bouchette, I think) was asked if the Steelers could lean on the run more, in order to try to "protect" their defense by keeping them off the field. He said that was a possibility, but he didn't consider it likely. He believes the Steelers want to be "balanced." For what it's worth.

2 poor games in a row.

He's not involved when they go no-huddle, and has dropped a couple catchable balls in/near the EZ the last few games.

Pitt is 1-2 the last 3 games against teams where they should have gone AT LEAST 2-1, maybe 3-0. The only win came when they went away from the pass game and relied on the run in the 2nd half against the Titans. The other 2 games, the pass game & the D were problems.

I know many will downplay it, but there is likely going to continue to be a call (from locals, some reporters, and possibly the coaching staff/management) to run more, to "protect" the D.

If Pitt gets down, Bryant isn't as involved when they are in the "hurry-up," and if they emphasize the run, Bryant won't be as involved.

His future still looks very bright, but for this year, (in the FF playoffs!), I don't know if he can be relied upon.

2 poor games in a row.

He's not involved when they go no-huddle, and has dropped a couple catchable balls in/near the EZ the last few games.

Pitt is 1-2 the last 3 games against teams where they should have gone AT LEAST 2-1, maybe 3-0. The only win came when they went away from the pass game and relied on the run in the 2nd half against the Titans. The other 2 games, the pass game & the D were problems.

I know many will downplay it, but there is likely going to continue to be a call (from locals, some reporters, and possibly the coaching staff/management) to run more, to "protect" the D.

If Pitt gets down, Bryant isn't as involved when they are in the "hurry-up," and if they emphasize the run, Bryant won't be as involved.

His future still looks very bright, but for this year, (in the FF playoffs!), I don't know if he can be relied upon.
He's a desperation play at best for the rest of this season.

He is no different than he was earlier in the year. He gets 4-5 targets a game. That's not enough for any WR to be consistent. Unless something happens in the Pittsburgh offense that enables him to get more targets, he's not a consistent starter.

Started him over DHop yesterday. Ugh.
With you, but not as much lost. Started him over D. Adams this week.

One of the problems with him is the fact that, when the Steelers are completely healthy, he loses snaps since he does not play in the hurry up offense.

FYI (although some people in here have discredited my attention to local reporters/sports radio); in an interview yesterday afternoon, a local reporter (Ed bouchette, I think) was asked if the Steelers could lean on the run more, in order to try to "protect" their defense by keeping them off the field. He said that was a possibility, but he didn't consider it likely. He believes the Steelers want to be "balanced." For what it's worth.
Nobody said anything about local reporters...another straw man! Your credibility was questioned when you started quoting talk show callers, rightfully so!

Everyone still holding in redraft? His hands and toughness seem suspect. Steelers running more...

Only four targets, though two of them were in the end zone.
I think there might have been a third from around the 6 that got wiped out by penalty right at the end before the brown td with 3 seconds left.

think they had 5 drives inside the nos 30 and bryant got looks down there on 3 of them, so he'll be pretty td dependent.

here are his snap % for weeks 7-13

34% 39% 49% 59% 45% BYE 36%

kind of a disappointing regression this past week, and he's hard to trust, although there are probably a lot of people out there with options like him, m lee, ch johnson, or s bailey trying to figure out who to play and who to drop this week, along with the playoffs

Dropped him in the week leading up to this game because of his inconsistency. I honestly knew this would happen.

Seven games, seven TD's. Part-time player or not, he's scored 13+ points in four of the seven games. He is WR9 in my scoring system over those 7 weeks.

Reminds me of when Mike Wallace used to use his speed to get behind the secondary, and Ben is a good deep ball QB. Man, 6'4", over 210 lbs, and he just ran by Leon Hall like Leon was a defensive lineman!

He's shaping up as a really good play @ ATL. The lack of pass rush should allow for Ben to take some shots deep. Who's playing Martavis this week and over who?

.5ppr WR/TE only league

I'm tempted over Ingram @ Chicago in a flex.

Playing against Big Ben. Starting him over Brandon Marshall (glad that decision was made for me).

He's shaping up as a really good play @ ATL. The lack of pass rush should allow for Ben to take some shots deep. Who's playing Martavis this week and over who?

.5ppr WR/TE only league

I'm tempted over Ingram @ Chicago in a flex.
I'm debating if he's a good play or not this week. Will he get his opportunities or will LeVeon Bell and Antonio Brown just bogart and dominate against this crappy D?

Users who are viewing this thread