What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Halt and Catch Fire Thread*** - new AMC Drama (1 Viewer)

Waiting for the playoff game to end before cranking up the DVR. Really looking forward to it, though. The leads are all great actors.

Enjoyed it but maybe that's because I started out with Control Data (one of the companies mentioned that IBM supposedly destroyed) back in the 80s.

Was out of town Sunday, but was that the pilot? And there's only been one episode so far?

I think I caught a replay just in time last night and it was very good.

Overall I liked the first show. Love the subject matter. Last scene was great.

I almost turned it off after 10 minutes though. The main sales guy is way over the top and there was one of the worst movie/TV cliches I hate - he meets the girl and they are so turned on by the tension they go into a corner and have standing intercourse with only their pants down a little and he's banging her from behind. What the hell is with that in movies? Nobody does that. I don't know what that is trying to tell me. They have an animalistic tension with each other? stupid

Interesting second episode. Not sure where the whole "Who is Joe" angle is going or where he got those cuts for real since his story is complete BS. Also, the CEO of Cardiff is a ####### moron. Lets a salesmen hustle him and then doesn't realize IBM will cut off his legs before they let him steal their marketshare.

A lot to like but a lot of confusion too. I don't see this one surviving because Computer BIOS programming in the early 80's is about as dry a subject material as you can pick. Then add this weird back story and odd subplots, I can't see a casual audience hanging in for this one.

Until the chick called BS on his story about the cuts, I thought Joe's passion play in the parking lot was so horribly cliche.

Seen the first couple episodes, haven't watched last night's yet. I like it for now, but I don't really buy the lead character. I don't think he has the presence that you need in a drama lead (e.g. Bryan Cranston, Jon Hamm, etc.).

and whenever I see the head Cardiff guy, all I can hear in my head is "nobody beats me, because I'm the Wiz!"

Don't see this one lasting too long. I've watched all of them so far, and nothing really grabs me for the long haul: BIOS programmer gal is edgy; Sales guy has personal issues; Developer guy is fairly weak. You know programmer gal will figure things out with big AHA moments, Developer guy will choose to make a layered board and implement some hardware ideas to hit 15#, and Sales guy will remain an enigma with an unknown past. Meh

Now that GoT is done was going to give this a try. The fact that it has been on for a couple of weeks and the thread is only 20 some posts deep is not a good sign.

That last episode was quite poor.

I don't see this thing lasting beyond whatever has already been produced. The female character is a total cliche. She's a tough chick with sexual energy who is a misunderstood and brilliant coder. But she has her own demons... I feel like I've seen this character many times before.

And the gay thing, and the dinner table thing... This show has run out of ideas and is grasping with shock value.

Still recording them but losing interest fast. The Bird was just as obvious as the shovel metaphor wise. Theyre beating us over the head with them. 1 season and this is done.

Still recording them but losing interest fast. The Bird was just as obvious as the shovel metaphor wise. Theyre beating us over the head with them. 1 season and this is done.
yeah. lazy writing all around.

:lmao: at the stereotypical punk guy with "corporate sell out rant"

GordonGekko said:
I still dont understand the gay thing
No point in trying to get an actor who can't play a straight male to actually keep trying to play one.

In House Of Cards, instead of trying to sell Kevin Spacey as a straight man with a wife, they make him use sex for power ( with the reporter Kate Mara) and have an icy "business" type relationship with his wife. They even threw in homosexual subtext during a S1 episode with a former school mate. Spacey just isn't credible as a straight guy, because he's gay in real life and can't sell it on screen. Part of his gay subtext was instrumental in his American Beauty character. Again, a marriage of "convenience" and Chris Cooper ending the film showing how credibly, Spacey could be seen as a gay man. Even Spacey's hesitance to take the virginity of the cheerleader/model in the movie and his apathy to his wife banging another man seal the deal.

I've said before, I felt pretty sorry for Amy Adams, who couldn't carry the dog of a movie, Leap Year, because Matthew Goode looked like he'd rather be blowing his boyfriend than be in that movie. But as Oxymandis in Watchmen, in his silent gay super hero costume? Works fine.

Watch Lee Pace in Wonderfalls, you can see how he has zero chemistry with any of the women in the show, painfully so.

Some gay people can't sell straight, so why bother. Watch Sarnoff post sometime. Look at how awkward he gets when he talks about old "girlfriends" and women he finds attractive. Imagine someone who has been blind their whole life trying to describe what a sunset looks like, that is exactly how Sarnoff sounds when he's trolling a FrankNBeans Who Is Hottest thread.

"Yeah, uh, look at the great skin on her! I mean, uh...rack, yeah, look at that rack, it's so forthright. Impressive. God, those are really nice shoes she has...."

Like I said before, you gotta give the clearly gay guys on this board credit, at least they show solidarity. As soon as I started outing people, Good Posting Judge went straight on the attack. The Poop Chute Salute Brigade here is tightly knit, you gotta give them that.
WTF? :confused:

GordonGekko said:
No point in trying to get an actor who can't play a straight male to actually keep trying to play one.

In House Of Cards, instead of trying to sell Kevin Spacey as a straight man with a wife, they make him use sex for power ( with the reporter Kate Mara) and have an icy "business" type relationship with his wife. They even threw in homosexual subtext during a S1 episode with a former school mate. Spacey just isn't credible as a straight guy, because he's gay in real life and can't sell it on screen. Part of his gay subtext was instrumental in his American Beauty character. Again, a marriage of "convenience" and Chris Cooper ending the film showing how credibly, Spacey could be seen as a gay man. Even Spacey's hesitance to take the virginity of the cheerleader/model in the movie and his apathy to his wife banging another man seal the deal.

I've said before, I felt pretty sorry for Amy Adams, who couldn't carry the dog of a movie, Leap Year, because Matthew Goode looked like he'd rather be blowing his boyfriend than be in that movie. But as Oxymandis in Watchmen, in his silent gay super hero costume? Works fine.

Watch Lee Pace in Wonderfalls, you can see how he has zero chemistry with any of the women in the show, painfully so.

Some gay people can't sell straight, so why bother. Watch Sarnoff post sometime. Look at how awkward he gets when he talks about old "girlfriends" and women he finds attractive. Imagine someone who has been blind their whole life trying to describe what a sunset looks like, that is exactly how Sarnoff sounds when he's trolling a FrankNBeans Who Is Hottest thread.

"Yeah, uh, look at the great skin on her! I mean, uh...rack, yeah, look at that rack, it's so forthright. Impressive. God, those are really nice shoes she has...."

Like I said before, you gotta give the clearly gay guys on this board credit, at least they show solidarity. As soon as I started outing people, Good Posting Judge went straight on the attack. The Poop Chute Salute Brigade here is tightly knit, you gotta give them that.
WTF? :confused:
Something about him being gay.

GordonGekko said:

:::entersthread.readsthis.backsoutrealslowly.nosuddenmoves::::

They killed the horse because, you see, it was a metaphor for the boss being lame and ineffective.

It's downright bad now but I'm still watching. I don't have time for a lot of TV but it's kind of fun having a pet show nobody else will remember. God I hate the blond chick character so much.

Users who are viewing this thread